Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anonymous User

Real Name Anonymous User   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DrEvil
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 31, 2000, 05:27
Total Comments 475 (Amateur)
User ID 5120

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Feb 3, 2012, 12:31 DrEvil

Prez wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 12:10:
Scratches, damage to the discs, inserts (DLC codes) removed, box broken, instructions missing (assuming there were some), etc.

It may be a small distinction but the things you are mentioning are the media, not the game itself. To put it another way, assuming that scratched disc allows the game to be installed, the game that ends up on your machine is identical to a new game. If not, Gamestop will surely refund it.

The point is, it affects the market value of the product. If you personally only care about what's on the media, good for you. But the market value of the item is different.

And even ignoring the physical component, for games that are played online, the market value of the product goes down over time naturally, so even if the media is still as pristine as the day it was produced, the game itself is worth less.

So yes, used products do degrade over time, either physically, or in terms of market value.

I personally don't give one whit about online passes for *online* games. But they're crossing a line I won't tolerate when they start doing that for single-player games.

And yes, it is the principle of the matter primarily, as I collect all that I buy...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Happy Birthday id Software
7. Re: Happy Birthday id Software Feb 1, 2012, 22:31 DrEvil

Cutter wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 21:30:
You mean it would have been there 21st birthday. id died after acquisition.

No, id Software still exists as a legal entity and separate company. It's just owned by another company.

"Id Software LLC, a ZeniMax Media company."

News Comments > Command and Conquer HTML5
3. Re: Command and Conquer HTML5 Jan 28, 2012, 23:42 DrEvil

First, let me say this is cool, and he should be commended for the technical achievement.

However....

Guy isn't smart though; he ripped all the graphics and sounds. I expect a follow-up article with the inevitable legal notice / takedown shortly.

News Comments > Ubisoft Changes Anno 2070 DRM
23. Re: Ubisoft Changes Anno 2070 DRM Jan 20, 2012, 13:57 DrEvil

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 20, 2012, 13:32:
If you don't buy Anno 2070 you are not making a point against DRM but a point against even semi complex economic simulation games.. that are fun.

Result = No more games like this. But still hundreds of games with this DRM. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot (if you happen to like Anno)

I'm sorry, but that's just plain poppycock. There are other games in this genre that don't have such restrictive DRM. There are open source projects as well that are attempting to produce these kinds of games.

The game is technically defective. Period.

If their executive droids can't figure out that DRM is killing their business, then they deserve to close their doors.

News Comments > No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin
114. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 16, 2012, 00:20 DrEvil

No sale here then.

I haven't bought anything that requires origin yet and I'm not about to start now.

You will learn the error of your ways EA.

News Comments > Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III "Almost Done"
29. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 16:52 DrEvil

Yakubs wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 16:32:
Cutter wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 15:25:
what are all these single-player games that require an internet connection to play.

I think it's fairly obvious that Diablo isn't a single player game.

But keep on fighting the good fight, Internet Activist.

I think it's fairly obvious that some people want to redefine the definition of a single-player game.

I personally feel that your attitude is detrimental to gaming.

News Comments > Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost
18. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 24, 2011, 14:54 DrEvil

Fletch wrote on Dec 24, 2011, 14:51:
DrEvil wrote on Dec 24, 2011, 12:39:
I think Bethesda made that change eventually not because it was necessary, but because it made the community happy.

It may not have been necessary for you, but, like many people, I was experiencing CTDs. I haven't had a single CTD (probably 40 hours or so of playing time) since using the LBA hack originally, and now using Bethesda's patch.

I realise that, but I'm still curious as to why that makes a difference given the amount of memory the process uses. That suggests there's a problem outside of skyrim itself that using the LAA patch addresses. For example, using LAA could change the memory address space used for the game, thereby bypassing a memory corruption issue, a driver problem, or faulty hardware.

The reasons I've seen posted for using LAA don't make sense. If I saw a real root cause of the issue and why LAA fixed the issue, I'd believe it. But for now, it's too much like "magic pixie dust" to me. LAA so far seems like the sort of fix where you don't really know the cause of the issue and you just throw "fixes" at a wall until one sticks. My belief is that the LAA change is merely masking the real problem.

Of course, I'd rather just see a 64-bit binary...

News Comments > GOG.com Geo-IP Changes
22. Re: GOG.com Geo-IP Changes Dec 24, 2011, 12:44 DrEvil

Dev wrote on Dec 24, 2011, 08:41:
El Pit wrote on Dec 24, 2011, 06:28:
It's neither the fault of GOG or Steam, but it loses them some sales and money.
Actually in this specific case its GoG's fault that they have to go to a stricter system. They had some license agreement they didn't uphold well enough.

No, they had some license agreement that Namco doesn't believe they upheld well enough. The problem was the two parties didn't agree on the interpretation.

News Comments > Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost
10. Re: Unofficial Skyrim Performance Boost Dec 24, 2011, 12:39 DrEvil

I disagree with the OP's analysis.

First of all, the compiler is often the one that determines whether to in-line functions, and in some cases, functions are purposely not in-lined to make crashes actually debuggable, yes this does involve some performance tradeoffs sometimes (however I doubt the in-lining he did alone was 40%, I'd expect maybe 10-15%).

Second, by his own admission, SSE was being used in many places, just not in some. A compiler or programmer may not necessarily come to the same conclusion about where it is appropriate to use SSE code. There's also some question as to what the minimum CPU targets were for the optimiser.

Third, I know it's fun to bash developers, but I haven't seen any compelling evidence yet that Bethesda actually screwed something up. Without actually seeing the original project files used to compile the code, wild-ass guesses and rampant speculation are about all anybody has.

Finally, the important thing to remember is that "real artists ship". Developers have multiple targets for shipping a product, and performance is usually one of those things where it's "good enough" and you can improve it later if needed. (This is, after all, software.) Deep performance analysis and micro-optimisation often doesn't come until you have some real-world data to guide development work. It's often said that "pre-mature optimisation is the root of all evil" and there's good reason for that. As we've already seen, the developer of this hack has already encountered some of these pitfalls.

I've already logged over one-hundred hours playing skyrim, and I don't have the latest system in the world (Core 2 Duo E8600). The performance is pretty good most of the time, so I'm reasonable happy and don't feel like Bethesda did wrong with shipping the game with the existing performance. It's just like the LAA patch that the community hacked up; I've never seen the skyrim process using more than about 900MB of memory, even after hours of playtime. I think Bethesda made that change eventually not because it was necessary, but because it made the community happy.

This comment was edited on Dec 24, 2011, 14:52.

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Dec 23, 2011, 21:37 DrEvil

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 23, 2011, 20:45:
Is Rage worth 15 bucks?

Yes, I think so as well. It's better than Doom 3, but not as good as Quake I/II.

I haven't finished it yet since Skyrim came out (curse you bethesda!), but it's the first shooter I might actually finish in a long time.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2011, 13:58 DrEvil

Creston wrote on Dec 20, 2011, 12:10:
5 more Bonds with Craig is cool, but Quantum of Solace basically sucked ass. So I hope Skyfall (Skyfall? Wtf?) is a lot better, otherwise I'll have zero interest in more Bond movies.

As Daniel Craig pointed out himself, the movie was already in production when the writer's strike happened. That meant that the director and him were the only ones allowed to work on the script, so I think it will be much better this time around.

News Comments > Skyrim Ships 10M; "Fastest Selling Title in Steam's History"
45. Re: Skyrim Ships 10M; Dec 17, 2011, 14:34 DrEvil

Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2011, 01:04:
And PHJF is correct. Compound adverbs and adjectives before a noun are always hyphenated. I always find it funny when I look at a person's resume who claims they're "detail oriented". Deatil oriented, huh?

Actually, PHJF is [url=http://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/hyphens_alternatives_in_compound_adjectives.htm
]not necessarily correct[/url].

If you "google" around, you'll find other websites talking about this as well.

The short version is that usage is determined by editorial or stylistic principles. It's just like "solid state" used to be hyphenated, but is no longer commonly seen that way. The hyphen primarily serves as a way to disambiguate the words in this context, not as a hard and fast requirement.

Another example of changing usage would be that Herman Melville originally published his book titled "Moby-Dick" (note the hyphen), but most individuals would no longer consider that correct.

News Comments > Bastion in a Browser
4. Re: Bastion in a Browser Dec 9, 2011, 17:46 DrEvil

Holy <bleep>! That's incredible.

Could native client finally be a viable alternative to Java whose performance Doesn't Suck(TM)?

You can cheat with Java stuff and include native dlls and the like, but this looks like it works wherever Chrome works.

News Comments > Torchlight 2 Interview
5. Re: Torchlight 2 Interview Dec 6, 2011, 14:48 DrEvil

Optional nickname wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 12:29:
IF I were project lead on TL2, I'd have cancelled the game altogether by now. D3 is around the corner.

"Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here."

But seriously, I think they appeal to very different audiences, and unlike Diablo III, Torchlight 2 won't require a persistent online connection. Nor do they have silly in-game auction houses for real money and the like.

News Comments > Steam Hardware Survey
8. Re: Steam Hardware Survey Dec 3, 2011, 02:00 DrEvil

5.6% have DX11? And PC gamers wonder why there are hardly any DirectX 11 games.

Not only that, 25% only have 512MB of VRAM and 43% have 1024MB.

No wonder PC games are at a stand still.

News Comments > QUAKE No Longer Indexed in Germany
10. Re: QUAKE No Longer Indexed in Germany Dec 1, 2011, 18:29 DrEvil

Creston wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 15:05:
I'm sure zenimax can't WAIT to put Quake in stores in Germany. Rolleyes

Creston

I'm sure it has more to do with online sales through Steam and the like.

News Comments > Skyrim and D3D Antilag
29. Re: Skyrim and D3D Antilag Nov 28, 2011, 09:10 DrEvil

venomhed wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 06:22:
D3D9? Who still uses that?

Dx9
Dx10
Dx10.1
Dx11 (Which I dont know that Skyrim supports)

A lot of things, thanks to the current console generation. Skyrim is DX9...

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Nov 28, 2011, 09:08 DrEvil

Yeah, Carmack didn't say that as someone else pointed out. Just a retweet.  

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Patch
9. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Nov 22, 2011, 17:56 DrEvil

Cutter wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 15:15:
Huzsar wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 14:54:
If you are in US, Amazon has it for $16 right now on their download service.

I'm not. I have no idea why Amazon limits downloads to the US. That's just plain bad business. Oh well, I guess they really don't want money from hundreds of millions of other gamers around the globe.

I know it's fun to blindly bash corporations, but in this case, you should be aware that publishing agreements typically restrict which countries a product can be sold in and for how much.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim New LAA Workaround
15. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim New LAA Workaround Nov 22, 2011, 14:02 DrEvil

Verno wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 13:58:
DrEvil wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 13:51:
The option isn't designed to be permanent apparently according to Steam support. I was less than pleased about that.

So don't accuse them of "forcing" the update...

Why would you only want to disable updates for a single session? That doesn't even make sense in the support response context. It's an excuse for misbehaving functionality that should be fixed, not an answer to the problem. I think it's a pretty minor thing that a lot of people blow out of proportion but it should be fixed.

It's even worse than I remember. See here:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2125376

475 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo