Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anonymous User

Real Name Anonymous User   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DrEvil
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 31, 2000, 05:27
Total Comments 490 (Amateur)
User ID 5120

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Linux and OS X Wasteland 2 Funded
17. Re: Linux and OS X Wasteland 2 Funded Mar 24, 2012, 00:32 DrEvil

venomhed wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 20:37:
FUCk this is a waste of time.

Linux and OSX? Just tell them to Boot camp their systems, save the money and time for the PC. Linux hates games and Mac's don't care either.

*plonks venomhed on the head*

There's a reason Steam supports gaming on the Mac and that I do as a developer -- it makes me money. I agree with you about Linux though; as a developer I generally feel like "no money is worth this" when it comes to supporting it. Linux distributions still haven't learned the value of things like stable ABIs, etc.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Notch's Space Adventure Plans
16. Re: Notch's Space Adventure Plans Mar 18, 2012, 18:48 DrEvil

Fion wrote on Mar 18, 2012, 13:04:
How bout at least getting Scrolls out before jumping ship again Notch. Not that I wouldn't enjoy the hell out of that game.

Nevermind that Nothc is not the only person at the company and others are working on the game. Just as someone else is maintaining and improving Minecraft these days.

Notch is hardly the first game developer to work on multiple projects at once.

I rarely work only on a single project where I work as a programmer as well.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near
51. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 14:58 DrEvil

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 14:50:
Also technically you don't need to be US citizen per sť - But to have a US bank account you need to be US citizen, it could be done via many ways and does not require the developers themselves being citizens of the US. ^^

No, you don't have to be a US Citizen to have a US Bank account. BS -- like most of your reasoning so far.

38. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 14:05 DrEvil

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 13:51:
DrEvil wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 13:44:
And that FAQ answer is bullshit. Paypal supports delayed payments where you commit to a charge and the charge is only deducted at a certain time when the vendor authorizes it.

How do i know? The Nexus 2 funding used paypal for the EXACT SAME SYSTEM of funding. And it worked just fine (technically speaking ,p)

Just because Nexus got away with it doesn't mean that Kickstarter when making a formal inquiry about it didn't get rejected by PayPal. Or have you noticed that PayPal has changed how it does business the last few years?

So unless you have access to privileged information, I call BS on your suppositions.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Beta Patch
18. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Beta Patch Mar 16, 2012, 13:48 DrEvil

space captain wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 12:57:
more dragons would be good

Are you kidding me? I wish there was an option to turn them off once the main questline is complete. They're just annoying as heck when you're trying to run around and explore.

In fact, I've been attacked by as many as three at the same time!

32. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 13:44 DrEvil

yuastnav wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 11:34:
Techie714 © wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 11:00:
[...]
It's 15.00 I mean seriously even if you dont like his previous work at least put in to show you support this new model.

I would, if they supported PayPal.
Backing is kind of impossible without a credit card.

[edit - Corrected for clarification.]

Problem is that PayPal doesn't allow these sorts of transactions. kickstarter has a FAQ answer about this. Currently, only Amazon Payments permits this type of transaction where there's no guarantee of a delivered product.

News Comments > Diablo III May 15th
95. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 16:25 DrEvil

nin wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 10:48:
Frijoles wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 10:46:
nin wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 10:07:
Yeaa!!!!! My amazon preorder is still locked, it looks like.

If you pre-order with Amazon before they show the same-day shipping, does it switch over to that? I've been thinking about pre-ordering it for a while, but not if they're going to deliver it a week late.

I have Prime, so I should get release date delivery, I believe.

Ask everyone who ordered Skyrim for the PC if they got their release-date delivery. Nope.

When I called customer support, they had no explanation for this and suggested it got lost so were sending me another. I got both several days later.

This was despite Amazon emailing everyone saying they shipped the item the day before release.

I'm currently not planning on buying this anyway though since I'm not much into multiplayer games, and this clearly is no longer a single-player game.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Can Windows 8 satisfy desktop and tablet? Mar 5, 2012, 11:02 DrEvil

Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 10:52:
No.

Creston

Indeed, and it looks like Windows 8 is the new Windows ME / Vista disaster for desktops.

Maybe Windows 9 will actually be suitable for desktops.

News Comments > Steam Breach Follow-up
49. Re: Steam Breach Follow-up Feb 11, 2012, 22:52 DrEvil

avianflu wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 13:39:
DrEvil == We actually agree more than disagree if you read my post one more time. Look at the first sentence of my post.

But you are completely absolving _businesses_ of responsibility for consumer data stored on their servers?? Seriously ? That's not kosher for fairly obvious reasons.

No, and nowhere did I say that. But neither can anyone here claim that the business is responsible either without having the full facts in their possession.

*If* valve followed reasonable security procedures and kept their systems up-to-date, that's as much as can be asked for. So far, all indicators are that they did.

36. Re: Steam Breach Follow-up Feb 11, 2012, 12:57 DrEvil

avianflu wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 12:55:
Let's NOT leave Valve off the hook: every time there is a credit card breach in the news, it _is_ the fault of the company in some manner of lax security with passwords/breadth of access to internal users/encryption.

Bullcrap. If someone manages to hack into your computer, I bet you'd be singing a different tune. Do you know every single security vulnerability of every single component of your system? Do you have a patch for everyone? Guess freaking what; you don't.

News Comments > Double Fine Campaign Update
35. Re: Double Fine Campaign Update Feb 11, 2012, 12:34 DrEvil

Cutter wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 14:24:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 11:04:
Can someone explain to me why everyone throws money at a point and click game, and not at Psychonauts 2 or Nexus 2 ?

I am asking honestly. All this money goes NOT to Psychonauts 2. So what , the , hell?

I'd easily invest that - if I had it - for a new Grim Fandango!

Hells yeah! Finally, something we can agree on Crester.

34. Re: Steam Breach Follow-up Feb 11, 2012, 12:22 DrEvil

Cutter wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 07:17:
Say sorry Gabe you fat fuck!

He already did; and seriously, what's with the bile? Did this kill your favourite pet or something? Life is too short to be such a jerk.

33. Re: Steam Breach Follow-up Feb 11, 2012, 12:20 DrEvil

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 21:11:
No notice that is has been fixed and it will never happen again. No acknowlgement or apology for their lax security measures and that it won't happen again.

Sorry, but you don't have sufficient information to claim they have "lax security measures". Do you have any idea how many components of a modern system are written by third parties? Valve does not have access to the source code of all those third-party components, and it is unreasonable for them to guarantee 100% security. All any company can do is "best effort".

There will always be someone, somewhere that's capable of hacking a system. That's why you encrypt data and take other measures to mitigate damage when a breach will occur. That's right, *when*, not *if*.

I'll agree that it's *possible* that this was somehow their fault, but to blame them without any justifiable proof of that is irresponsible, disingenuous, and unreasonable.

News Comments > Indie Valentine's Bundle
4. Re: Indie Valentine's Bundle Feb 11, 2012, 12:17 DrEvil

I have yet to see a reason to not completely ignore the indie royale bundles. Especially due to their early claims about cross-platform possibilities. Humble bundle for the win!  

News Comments > Skyrim Creation Kit & "Surprise" Tuesday
35. Re: Skyrim Creation Kit & Feb 4, 2012, 12:02 DrEvil

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 4, 2012, 00:09:
wtf_man wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 21:40:
I'd rather have a full PC UI, like Morrowind, but improved... instead of this flash based menu crap.
Skyrim's UI may be far from perfect but it's a damn-sight better than the spreadsheet clusterfuck that was Morrowind.

Finally, someone I can agree with!

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Feb 3, 2012, 12:31 DrEvil

Prez wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 12:10:
Scratches, damage to the discs, inserts (DLC codes) removed, box broken, instructions missing (assuming there were some), etc.

It may be a small distinction but the things you are mentioning are the media, not the game itself. To put it another way, assuming that scratched disc allows the game to be installed, the game that ends up on your machine is identical to a new game. If not, Gamestop will surely refund it.

The point is, it affects the market value of the product. If you personally only care about what's on the media, good for you. But the market value of the item is different.

And even ignoring the physical component, for games that are played online, the market value of the product goes down over time naturally, so even if the media is still as pristine as the day it was produced, the game itself is worth less.

So yes, used products do degrade over time, either physically, or in terms of market value.

I personally don't give one whit about online passes for *online* games. But they're crossing a line I won't tolerate when they start doing that for single-player games.

And yes, it is the principle of the matter primarily, as I collect all that I buy...

News Comments > Happy Birthday id Software
7. Re: Happy Birthday id Software Feb 1, 2012, 22:31 DrEvil

Cutter wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 21:30:
You mean it would have been there 21st birthday. id died after acquisition.

No, id Software still exists as a legal entity and separate company. It's just owned by another company.

"Id Software LLC, a ZeniMax Media company."

News Comments > Command and Conquer HTML5
3. Re: Command and Conquer HTML5 Jan 28, 2012, 23:42 DrEvil

First, let me say this is cool, and he should be commended for the technical achievement.

However....

Guy isn't smart though; he ripped all the graphics and sounds. I expect a follow-up article with the inevitable legal notice / takedown shortly.

News Comments > Ubisoft Changes Anno 2070 DRM
23. Re: Ubisoft Changes Anno 2070 DRM Jan 20, 2012, 13:57 DrEvil

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 20, 2012, 13:32:
If you don't buy Anno 2070 you are not making a point against DRM but a point against even semi complex economic simulation games.. that are fun.

Result = No more games like this. But still hundreds of games with this DRM. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot (if you happen to like Anno)

I'm sorry, but that's just plain poppycock. There are other games in this genre that don't have such restrictive DRM. There are open source projects as well that are attempting to produce these kinds of games.

The game is technically defective. Period.

If their executive droids can't figure out that DRM is killing their business, then they deserve to close their doors.

News Comments > No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin
114. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 16, 2012, 00:20 DrEvil

No sale here then.

I haven't bought anything that requires origin yet and I'm not about to start now.

You will learn the error of your ways EA.

490 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo