Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anonymous User

Real Name Anonymous User   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DrEvil
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 31, 2000, 05:27
Total Comments 490 (Amateur)
User ID 5120

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Patch
56. Re: Diablo III Patch May 29, 2012, 17:56 DrEvil

Cram wrote on May 29, 2012, 16:22:
A blue post, if to be believed, recently stated not one "hacked" account was one with an authenticator.

Actually, and this is a nitpick, they stated that not one "hacked" account they investigated was one with an authenticator. In other words, they have not yet verified that every case where an account has been hacked did not have an authenticator.

The dirty secret about the authenticators though is that the codes they generate are valid for a large enough period of time, that if a PC is actively compromised, someone could monitor the access codes being typed and have just enough time to login use the authenticator code just typed and clean a person's account out.

Yes, yes, if a PC is compromised, all bets are off, but still, the point is that an authenticator only significantly reduces the chance of a compromised account; it does not eliminate it. (Blizz is careful to point this out in their posts as well by subtly saying it's not a 100% guarantee.)

However, I think others here have a real point. Blizzard hasn't done enough to reduce hacking attempts. For example, if you regularly login from a cable modem connected up somewhere in California, and suddenly you're seen to be logging in from China, Kansas, or some other geographically unlikely location, ask the user to provide some extra information to verify the account before allowing access.

As far as I can tell, Blizzard doesn't do any of those things; they solely rely on users having an authenticator.

So yes, even those that don't have an authenticator should feel justified in saying that Blizzard isn't doing enough. They could do more; and they better do more before the launch the RMAH.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

55. Re: Diablo III Patch May 29, 2012, 17:50 DrEvil

Dev wrote on May 29, 2012, 17:41:
Anyway, there is a free authentication option, its the cell phone one. If you don't want to give your cell phone number, get a free google voice one.

No; the FAQ explicitly states that they are still evaluating support for Diablo III with the dial-in authentication option, it is not yet supported.

They only support it for World of Warcraft and general battle.net authentication. My guess is because it costs them real money for that service, which a WoW subscription would support, but a game like Diablo III will not.

52. Re: Fire, bad! May 29, 2012, 17:46 DrEvil

Xoxotl wrote on May 29, 2012, 15:25:
But apparently "default settings will cause damage to your videocard via runaway heat generation" is just swell with you.

The video card driver and hardware is in the best position to monitor temperature and downclock or make other adjustments accordingly.

Why should the developer have to limit framerates to prevent the video card from overheating? I can't even begin to fathom that expectation.

News Comments > Minecraft Sells 6M
6. Re: Minecraft Sells 6M May 26, 2012, 01:20 DrEvil

Bumpy wrote on May 25, 2012, 21:51:
I assume this figure is counting all platforms including iPad. So yeah, I can see it selling this much pretty easy.

No, actually. Notch specifically stated on twitter that's just the PC figures. When you take other platforms into account, it's somewhere over 9 million.

News Comments > Diablo III Hotfixes
10. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes May 24, 2012, 14:03 DrEvil

nin wrote on May 24, 2012, 13:57:
RollinThundr wrote on May 24, 2012, 13:53:
Wake me when they're done nerfing classes like it's an mmo and instead properly balance the difficulty levels, and also make legendary items not suck worse than regular magical ones. Terrible design decisions all around with this game.

The thing is, they made all kinds of changes to D2 over the years. And I'm sure we'll see the same thing here.

The difference is that here, the changes are even being made "server-side", and you have no choice as to whether you take the patches.

At least with the older games, if they made changes you didn't like, you could at least finish your single-player game before updating.

Now users that take longer to finish are going to finish a never-ending stream of tweaks to difficulty and gameplay before they even finish their first run through of the game.

Sucktastic.

News Comments > Diablo III Claims Sales Record
68. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 15:39 DrEvil

Zanthar wrote on May 23, 2012, 15:33:
I wonder how many fewer games would have been sold if D3 did not require a constant internet connection/DRM? How many copies would have been pirated by the unwashed and unemployed masses? 1 million copies? 2 million?

Just another example of the low-life scum bags of society making things difficult for the honest, hard-working, people of the world. I blame the filth, not the companies employing people and producing a product.

That's just me though, I wasn't born and raised with a sense of entitlement like most people these days.

Except, you do have a sense of entitlement; you appear to believe that a special group of people should work once and get paid for it the rest of their life.

You also appear to believe that developers are entitled to lock games down as much as possible to maximise their profits while still shipping products that are bug-ridden, violate their user's privacy, and have end-user agreements that require legal counsel to properly understand and strip away the most fundamental expectations of resale.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Diablo III
113. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 15:49 DrEvil

Creston wrote on May 15, 2012, 11:01:
And does it actually install on Win7-64? (Since the demo wouldn't?)

Creston

The demo or the beta? Because the beta worked fine on Win7-64 when I tried it.

News Comments > Diablo III Auctions Detailed
72. Re: Diablo III Auctions Detailed May 2, 2012, 13:55 DrEvil

JohnBirshire wrote on May 2, 2012, 01:07:
^Drag0n^ wrote on May 2, 2012, 01:03:
Diablo III...meh.

Torchlight2 FTW.

All I noticed is that they rushed to release it before Diablo 3...maybe they weren't as confident in their game as you are.

No, they haven't. In fact, they recently announced a delay for the release of TL2 and specifically answered concerns like the one you're raising here.

TL2 and D3 are very different games in many ways; yes, big game releases tend to steal attention from other games, but they're not concerned about it:

http://www.torchlight2game.com/news/2011/11/17/an-update-from-travis-baldree/

News Comments > Diablo III Wizard Trailer
17. Re: Diablo III Wizard Trailer May 1, 2012, 17:15 DrEvil

RollinThundr wrote on May 1, 2012, 15:33:
lol I swear to god Blizzard fanboys are so fragile and easy to rattle. Actually he isn't wrong, Ray of frost is pretty much identical to the spell in torchlight visually.

Exactly

It even works the same, and the effects are pretty similar.

It's also almost just as overpowered as that spell was in the original torchlight. (They gimped it (rightfully) in a later patch.)

16. Re: Diablo III Wizard Trailer May 1, 2012, 17:12 DrEvil

Hudson wrote on May 1, 2012, 15:20:
Oh god another idiot extolling the virtues of some indie bullshit 20 dollar title and comparing the "open beta" to what he thinks is a quality title like Torchlight 2

Get a fucking clue you halfwit gamer. People like you, that think its "cool" to hate on what is obviously the biggest game release of the year, are fucking morons.

First of all, the "open beta" contains content and code that is clearly representative of what we'll see in the released game. (That's safe to say considering it's out in roughly two weeks from now.)

By your logic, Duke Nukem Forever when it debuted at $60 was way better than all the cheaper FPS games that had come out around the same time.

I get it, you like the game, good for you. But it's just a game. Seriously. It is hardly worth the vitriol you're spewing here.

I don't like the game; get over it. You want to fill Blizzard's pockets with money? Ok, do that. Pay your 15% at the door:

Blizzard to take 15% of auction house transactions...

Oh, I see, someone espouses an opinion you don't agree with and suddenly they're "clueless".

Perhaps you'd like to see my two bookcases of 115+ PC games starting from the 1980's on 3.5" floppy disk, CD, and DVD? No?

Rest assured, I have a clue (I used to own the board game too ;)).

I suppose you play Gnomes in World of Warcraft too right?

No, I actually despise the gnomes. When I did play WoW (its been quite a while), I actually liked the Tauren best (war stomp FTW!).

Although as someone else pointed out, Gnomes used to be the most popular for PvP as they were harder to see and Blizzard accidentally screwed up the bounding hit boxes for them at one point.

This comment was edited on May 1, 2012, 17:18.

9. Re: Diablo III Wizard Trailer May 1, 2012, 14:25 DrEvil

Verno wrote on May 1, 2012, 10:19:
I don't know, Wizard didn't do it for me in beta. The signature spells felt really iffy and it probably didn't help that Ray of Frost and Disintegrate look like color swaps. Be interesting to see how the later spells flesh it out in retail. The videos of Hydra make it look fairly neutered compared to D2 but oh well.

Out of morbid curiosity, I played the open beta w/ the wizard. The ray of frost felt so much like I was playing the ember mage in Torchlight it was uncanny 8)

Diablo III -- no mods, online always, and I get to wait in a queue to login for a "single player" game. TL2 please save us!

News Comments > Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month
12. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 26, 2012, 18:14 DrEvil

Second one took a while to figure out, first one came after just a try or two.  

News Comments > Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer
26. Re: Diablo III Witch Doctor Trailer Apr 24, 2012, 18:24 DrEvil

Jivaro wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 16:29:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 15:56:
Only dislike I have with the Witch Doctor is his lack of a more heroic physique. The Male WD has the distended belly of a starving man, along with the trembling shakes of an addict. In comparison, the 80 year old Barbarian has biceps that weigh more than the other characters combined... Blizzard really could have gone with a wide receiver type physique, or even a marathon runner physique if they wanted to stay ultra skinny and a more confident stance, but oh well.

Dhalsim-a-like perhaps?

I immediately thought of street fighter whenever I saw the Witch Doctor. I kept expecting his arms or legs to stretch out for physical attacks 8)

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition Released
22. Re: The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition Released Apr 16, 2012, 22:31 DrEvil

eunichron wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 21:06:
dumpy wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 21:00:
Steam required Rage to patch 15 gig before I was able to play. I never used Steam very much in the past, but recently I've learned of their autopatch bs which screws my games like Skyrim and AVP2.

You can turn off autopatching for individual games by right clicking it in the library, selecting Properties, and then changing the option in the Updates tab.

You can also pause downloads manually at the downloads screen.

That only lasts for the current session and only until you next launch the game and exit.

Apparently Valve believes that no one should have the ability to permanently disable updates for a game.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock
118. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 17:04 DrEvil

Great game! Totally worth the purchase. Buy it now if you already haven't!  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock
117. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 16:52 DrEvil

Sepharo wrote on Apr 11, 2012, 21:05:
Dammit, updating video drivers didn't help, toggling between no vsync, vsync, and triple buffered didn't help either.

Two fuckin games I paid for now with this problem. Wish I knew what it was.

nVidia card here; no problems.

That said, I imagine if you provide as much info as you can to the developers, they can get AMD to fix their damn drivers.

News Comments > Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming
54. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 17:38 DrEvil

deqer wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 17:08:
nin wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 16:57:

Seriously, how old are you?

I just think it's sad that companies continue their business by selling patched versions of their previous titles, rather developing new titles. Anything that is considered a patch, is considered free.

Projects like this are often a way for companies to generate enough sales to justify publishers being involved in further projects using the existing IP. Since this is a licensed property, a publisher has to be involved.

From that perspective, it makes perfect sense to "test the waters" with a relatively low-cost, low-risk project before producing more expensive, higher-risk content.

News Comments > Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming
49. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 16:40 DrEvil

venomhed wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 15:54:
Mac 6% market share
Linux less than 1% market share
Windows 85% market share

Source: http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8

WHY FRIGGIN BOTHER WITH MAC OR LINUX WHEN THEY CAN EASILY DUAL BOOT INTO WINDOWS?

Because operating system market share is not reflective of revenue share for games?

Just look at the revenue shares from humble bundle sales:

http://www.humblebundle.com/

My current estimate is that Mac + Linux users make up at least 33% of the revenue of the current bundle. Just in that case alone, that's nearly $200k that would be lost.

Look at Steam; why would they bother porting Steam to the Mac and then push other developers to do the same with their games unless Valve believed that it was worth it?

Do they really get that much $$$ from porting or cross platforming? Are these guys just idiots when it comes to how to run a business?

Pot, meet kettle.

This comment was edited on Mar 30, 2012, 17:37.

34. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 14:29 DrEvil

panbient wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 13:12:
Krovven wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 12:59:
Primarily because this is not a polygon game that uses textures.

HAHAHA wow... only polygon based games use textures? WOW.

Just because it's a 2d sprite doesn't mean it doesn't have a texture applied to it. Just because it's a tile based engine doesn't mean those tiles are not textured. Essentially it's the art assets that NEED to be enhanced, the core gameplay mechanics are still solid even if dated, and the story needs no edits.

Yes, I understand it's expensive as hell to redo it, but if you weren't redoing the aspect of the game that can benefit the most from being enhanced... then what is really being sold?

2d engines didn't usually refer to these graphics as "textures"; they were usually known as "bitmaps" or "sprites".

To be fair, when people speak of "textures", they're usually referring to a 3d engine, so the general expectation is you're referring to 3d, and not 2d.

So even if the source material was from rendered materials which did use textures, the end result (the resources actually used in the engine) would not generally be referred to as that.

But this is all just a silly argument over semantics and interpretation.

News Comments > SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected
65. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 16:29 DrEvil

Dmitri_M wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 10:44:
How is Steam better than a once per session login?

Because I can start Steam on my laptop in offline mode and still play?

490 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo