Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Anonymous User

Real Name Anonymous User   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname DrEvil
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 31, 2000, 05:27
Total Comments 485 (Amateur)
User ID 5120

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 14, 2014, 12:11 DrEvil

Task wrote on Jul 14, 2014, 09:46:
jesus h. this country is morally bankrupt, arresting peaceful protestor grandmothers

Note she was arrested not for protesting, but because she violated a restraining/protection order.

Now whether that restraining/protection order should have been granted is a separate story, but she was not sentenced to a year in prison for simply protesting.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 14, 2014, 12:10 DrEvil

Asmodai wrote on Jul 14, 2014, 10:08:
And Blue, the article didn't say he wasn't a gamer, just that he wasn't a fan of online gaming. Unless there is some clarification, it might be a bit soon to be pegging him as "non gamer".

Indeed; in fact, he works for a fairly well known and famous game tools company that has been around since the DOS era and has incredibly detailed and technical knowledge of graphics programming in general. He was also part of the PC Demo Scene "back in the day". I don't know if he's a "gamer" (what does that even mean?), but I do have the utmost respect for him and his work.

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
5. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 6, 2014, 16:28 DrEvil

Cutter wrote on Jul 6, 2014, 12:17:
Or maybe he was acting.

Or maybe he's a man who's been married since 1992 and has children of his own and so is empathetic towards the needs of children?

News Comments > GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble
32. Re: GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble Jun 22, 2014, 20:00 DrEvil

Zombiegoat213 wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 19:07:
So basically this is sort of like what happened with id Software; great PC tech demos, story is a little washed-out, not much follow-through in licencing the engines for third-party companies, and following it all up with focusing on the console market.

Too bad.

Except iD actually made some games that sold really well: Quake I-III, Doom I-II, and made quite a bit of money through licensing for a while.

So it's actually not like that at all; all indications are that iD was far more commercially successful than Crytek game sales wise.

(Yes I'm ignoring Rage.)

News Comments > GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble
31. Re: GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble Jun 22, 2014, 19:58 DrEvil

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 13:54:
harlock wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 13:15:
cryengine is being DESTROYED by UE4 in the prefab engine market

If only because UE4 is much, much easier to work with. Epic clearly put more time and effort in to the workflow process to make it easier for first time users to just jump in and start creating, learning as you go.

Not to mention complete source code access for the engine!

News Comments > Fable Anniversary for PCs Teased
7. Re: Fable Anniversary for PCs Teased Jun 3, 2014, 00:52 DrEvil

Task wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 00:17:
I heard the last Fables were total crap.

Actually, I almost hate to admit it, but I really enjoyed playing Fable 3 -- I even bothered to play through all of the optional content.

Fable 3 was actually playable for me, unlike Fable 1, which really grated on me.

I don't know specifically why, but I really enjoyed Fable 3.

News Comments > Unreal Tournament 3 GameSpy Patches
2. Re: Unreal Tournament 3 GameSpy Patches May 29, 2014, 20:52 DrEvil

ViRGE wrote on May 29, 2014, 17:57:
Oh good, I was wondering when this would arrive. I'm glad to see Epic is still supporting UT3.

Epic is doing a lot of things right these days. Between UE4, source code access, and patches like this, I'm pretty impressed.

Sweeney even committed to trying to dig up the old source code for the original Unreal for UE4 subscribers, which would be awesome!

News Comments > The Witcher 2 for Linux/SteamOS
4. Re: The Witcher 2 for Linux/SteamOS May 23, 2014, 01:26 DrEvil

NKD wrote on May 22, 2014, 18:25:
3 years late and NVIDIA only. Hold on, uninstalling Windows and installing Linux.

The game itself isn't NVIDIA only; AMD's the problem. Or did you not read the part about a driver issue which AMD has fixed in the next version?

News Comments > Jagged Alliance Flashback Early Access
2. Re: Jagged Alliance Flashback Early Access May 16, 2014, 01:33 DrEvil

SpectralMeat wrote on May 15, 2014, 22:51:
$45 for an Early Access game is a bit steep imho.

It's that they charged during the kickstarter; so obviously they can't sell it for less than that.

News Comments > The 7th Guest 3 Crowdfunding
3. Re: The 7th Guest 3 Crowdfunding May 7, 2014, 23:48 DrEvil

Cutter wrote on May 7, 2014, 23:37:
Who is this new crowdfunding site? Another scam like Indiegogo?

Indiegogo itself isn't a scam, but there may be scams on Indiegogo. Personally, I've never funded anything on Indiegogo, so can't say for sure.

Regardless, "crowdtilt" is the company behind the website here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowdtilt

Apparently born out of some people involved with one of the big-name Venture Capitalist firms in California.

News Comments > Dear Esther Developer Joining Valve
3. Re: Dear Esther Developer Joining Valve Mar 13, 2014, 14:39 DrEvil

netnerd85 wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 12:16:
Dear Esther wasn't a game and Valve don't make games any more so, good fit

I know you're being funny, but there's not universal agreement on what a game is.

For example, one of my college professors asserted that The Sims wasn't actually a game -- it was just a virtual dollhouse.

This topic is discussed extensively in "Rules of Play":

http://books.google.com/books/about/Rules_of_Play.html?id=eboWngEACAAJ

News Comments > Minecraft Boasts 100M Registered Users
11. Re: Minecraft Boasts 100M Registered Users Feb 26, 2014, 00:02 DrEvil

Cutter wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 18:33:
I never understand these sort of announcements. So what you're really saying is 85.7 of people who tried your product feel it's not worth buying.

I know right? He's crying all the way to the bank.

News Comments > More Frequent Starbound Content Updates Coming
6. Re: More Frequent Starbound Content Updates Coming Feb 21, 2014, 20:52 DrEvil

Cutter wrote on Feb 21, 2014, 12:19:
Good! Much as I like the game I regret doing the early access thing. I think it's a bad thing for developers that do well with it. Makes them slack and lose focus as the money rolls in. Imagine getting paid before you actually go and do work. You might lose some motivation when the money is already in the bank, right? They need to stay lean and focused. Eye of the Tiger, baby! Rocky learned that hard lesson!

I've seen no evidence that they "slacked" or "lost focus" though I'll readily admit it's clear that others did.

If anything, they had short break which they needed in the mad rush to release an Alpha, and then when they got far more customers than they ever anticipated, they had to spend time actually building a business to support it.

News Comments > On Starbound Mods & Chucklefish's Next Game
4. Re: On Starbound Mods & Chucklefish's Next Game Feb 4, 2014, 23:05 DrEvil

Rhett wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 22:29:
I have an even better idea:

Put them on Starbound and keep working on Starbound.

Funny, but for the record, it doesn't work that way. Adding more people to a late software project makes it later. The Mythical Man Month discusses this...

About the only thing you can really do in parallel on a game typically is some of the content; the programming can only be parallelised up to a point.

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Jan 14, 2014, 14:43 DrEvil

Cutter wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 14:13:
Too bad about TBS because the art really is beautiful.

It doesn't sound like a bad game, just not the great one we were hoping for. But it also sounds like they took their experience from the multi-player game and applied it too much to the single-player one.

I don't agree with some of the author's arguments; some of them are characteristics of the genre that you'll either love or hate. But on the whole, I'd say it's a fair characterization.

The good news to me at least is that I believe they can address many of the rougher edges through patches.

After all, the general content (story, etc.) of the game is good, and the artwork and music is great.

They just need to streamline the battles a bit or make single-player a bit more unbalanced.

News Comments > Broken Age Early Access Plans Change
2. Re: Broken Age Early Access Plans Change Jan 14, 2014, 14:21 DrEvil

Creston wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 13:18:
So it gets released and you still get the second part for free, it's just not called "Early Access" anymore.

Not sure why it makes a difference, though I guess it may help convince people who want nothing to do with Early Access games.

Not quite; "Early Access" implies the game is still in Alpha/Beta and is not yet finished code, gameplay, and content-wise. Double Fine is saying here that they believe the first part of the game is *finished* in all apsects, and is not "alpha/beta".

I know that seems like a fine distinction, but it's really not.

News Comments > Banished Next Month
7. Re: Banished Next Month Jan 11, 2014, 01:01 DrEvil

PHJF wrote on Jan 10, 2014, 22:27:
I thought it would be interesting, like with fantasy theme or something (why the fuck is it called Banished?)

This looks boring as fucking hell, like a halfassed Anno title.

Anno without ubiplay drm crap or tages or whatever DRM it has? Sign me up!

News Comments > New NVIDIA Mobile SOC Runs Unreal Engine 4
9. Re: New NVIDIA Mobile SOC Runs Unreal Engine 4 Jan 6, 2014, 14:31 DrEvil

Tim Collins wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 12:15:
How did Nvidia start developing and forget about LTE....

LTE has been out for 2 years.

This is pointless till then.

Its not linke u can use a 4g dongle ....baffles why they didnt see this coming.

You can get LTE as part of a Tegra K1 setup thanks to an external chip:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/05/nvidia-tegra-5/

News Comments > New NVIDIA Mobile SOC Runs Unreal Engine 4
8. Re: New NVIDIA Mobile SOC Runs Unreal Engine 4 Jan 6, 2014, 14:28 DrEvil

Quboid wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 12:48:
I'm pretty sure every mobile chip in the last 10 years has blurred the line between desktop and mobile performance and is doing so 3 or 4 years sooner than someone who stands to gain from making it look good expected.

Uh, no, no they haven't. The big difference here is that nVidia's new Tegra supports the full OpenGL 4.4/DX11 API. No other ARM-based mobile SoC design does that.

This means other than performance targets and input considerations, developers can bring large existing code bases to the target device with little change. That's a huge win.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
8. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jan 4, 2014, 23:47 DrEvil

Cutter wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 14:25:
That ain't gonna' make a difference. I'd love one of these, but for a grand? LOL!

I'm actually going to have to get a tablet/kb in the next couple of months for work so is there anything good - Android or Windows - in the $500 or less category?

Actually, for ~$1K, they're a phenomenal portable drawing tablet. The next closest thing are Windows 8 tablets from Wacom which are over twice the price or the MacBook-based ModbookPro.

But as a general computing device, you'd have to really value the form factor to make it worth it.

485 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo