Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Derek French

Real Name Derek French   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CrushBug
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Producer, Live Team
BioWare
Homepage http://www.bioware.com/
Signed On May 27, 2000, 19:09
Total Comments 213 (Novice)
User ID 5028

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans
17. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 20:23  CrushBug 

Even if the DLC is being developed separately and couldn't have made it into the main game as you say, why not hold off for a couple of weeks at least rather than give users a perceived slap in the face by releasing paid content day and date with the game? Whether or not it was cut from the original game, that's the impression such action gives and it's something that could have been easily avoided.
That is an interesting point. I guess if we did remove game content and sell it to you then that would be insulting. It is not something that I would ever want to be involved in.

In this case, we have tried to make more content for Dragon Age and have an extended plan to release content in various sizes, forms and costs (some for free). We hope this gives Dragon Age a long life and a vibrant community and we do hope our content sells well. This will allow us to further support Dragon Age and the community and the Toolset similar to what happened with Neverwinter Nights. I am not sure what I can do about perceived slights other than try and openly communicate with you all.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 20:13  CrushBug 

Still day 1 DLC always bugs me. As an old PC gamer I used to get this shit for FREE. Now I have to pay for it.
No you didn't. We certainly haven't had free downloadable content for our games in any recent memory, aside from BDtS for Mass Effect 1 PC. But I don't think that qualifies as something we have always done.

If it's the timing that bothers you, you could always pretend that it doesn't exists for month or so.

Sorry, we don't have any public announcements about Steam at this time.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

11. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 20:08  CrushBug 

What happened to more expansion-type releases that were only $20 or so?
Those items, either by digital or retail are still in the works.
Instead, there is day one DLC which, just by itself, hold very little regard for the actual game. And by game, I mean 95% of the final product, that 5% intentionally being left out for an extra charge on day one.
This is not the case; please see my previous post.

If you don't want to pay for our content, that is fair. We still have a Toolset for Dragon Age and we hope you try out some of the thousands of free user created content items that will get made.

We have done this before with Neverwinter Nights, albeit with different timing. The experience with NWN and the Premium Modules was very positive for us and the community. It allowed us to keep supporting for NWN for another year or two and provided more new source content for the Toolset users.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

8. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 20:01  CrushBug 

Why wouldn't they include this with the rest of the game? Sound's like B.S. to me.
BioWare has a dedicated team working on DLC. Why wasn't it included in the main game? Because the content wasn't nearly complete by the time the main game was locked and into QA, certification and manufacturing. The main game and Warden's Keep are in different stages of development and there is no way that WK could be released with the main game at this stage.

There is a long held belief that main game content is being removed and sold separately. This is not the case. The content is being developed in parallel by a dedicated team.

None of our DLC is required to enjoy Dragon Age: Origins, but we hope you will give some of it a try or at least arm yourself with reviews from trusted sources (whether it's Gamespot or your Uncle Ray) and make your own decision.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > BioWare: Dragon Age Lasts Over 120 Hours
34. Re: BioWare: Dragon Age Lasts Over 120 Hours Aug 25, 2009, 23:40  CrushBug 

Nice. Let's hope this is actually the case. I hate it when games assign me arbitrary morality points based on what they deem good and evil. There is no good and evil, only choice and consequence.

That is exactly how it works. Some consequences are immediate, others happen a lot later. There is no real "let's load the last save and take the other choice" because you may not notice anything for a while.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > BioWare: Dragon Age Lasts Over 120 Hours
27. Re: BioWare: Dragon Age Lasts Over 120 Hours Aug 25, 2009, 18:50  CrushBug 

Bioware's typical Black/White morality

Sorry. No black/white morality in Dragon Age, nor any good/evil/morality sensor.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 19, 2009, 12:52  CrushBug 

Whoot! Frag has been running since 1997.  
Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Dragon Age Origins Collector's Edition Bonuses
6. Re: Soundtrack Jul 15, 2009, 19:28  CrushBug 

Let me check to see if we have any official announcement on that yet, Cram.

If you don't hear back from me, it's because the Marketing Ninjas got me.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Dragon Age Jul 10, 2009, 16:04  CrushBug 

So why not add this to the game already?
Because the game is pretty much done and locked and in the testing and polish phase. A separated team is working on post-release content (hence the name "post-release") and most of the content is still under active development. Therefore, it cannot be released right now.
And of course they're not going to just give away user created content.
I don't know what that means. Any user-created content made in the Dragon Age Toolset will be available to anyone who wants to download it, similar to Neverwinter Nights. In fact we are creating a whole new Community site to support this.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Aliens RPG Cancelled
12. Re: Aliens RPG Cancelled Jun 27, 2009, 15:07  CrushBug 

Man, I was really looking forward to this one.  
Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2009, 13:43  CrushBug 

Man, this takes me back. Quake started it all for me.

It started the first LAN party. (Remember the Disco Bar Lights!)

It started the first gaming hardware purchase. (Dave, I know it's Sunday and your store is usually closed, but meet me there and sell me a damned Monster 3D.)

It started my first attempt to travel to a LAN party. (OK, it was too expensive to fly to New York for the M3.)

It started the first big LAN party that we threw. (Fragapalooza 97 - mad props to all who helped it start and those who keep it running to this day.)

It started my interest in gaming web sites. (Blue's News hooked me up with beta testers for my simple Quake launcher - QSpawn. /wave at Prophet!)

It started my desire to actually work in the gaming industry. (I have been at BioWare for over 9 years now.)

Thank you Quake, and thank you id Software.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins PC Specs
9. Re: Dragon Age: Origins PC Specs Jun 17, 2009, 21:35  CrushBug 

Hey Crush will the game still have the ability to create modules like Neverwinter? I remember that being touted a few years ago when the game was first unveiled, I hope you guys didn't ditch it.

http://dragonage.bioware.com/game_faq.html#7.05

Absolutely. BioWare and our fans have had great success, fun, and longevity using the Neverwinter Nights toolset and we want to again provide a powerful tool to let fans create their own adventures. Videos showcasing the toolset can be seen in the World Builders gallery.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins PC Specs
7. Re: Dragon Age: Origins PC Specs Jun 17, 2009, 21:22  CrushBug 

For clarity, the 20 Gig is a broad number to cover that fact that the data isn't quite final at this time, isn't specific to the language installed, and allows for save games, screenshots, and other content.

Currently, the English install is sitting at 15.5 Gig, but that number could change.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins Q&A
2. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Q&A Jun 8, 2009, 22:07  CrushBug 

Now that is a funny emoticon. I am sending this thread on to Dave.  
Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Jun 4, 2009, 01:55  CrushBug 

Sign me up!  
Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > PC Terminator Salvation Recalled
15. Re: PC Terminator Salvation Recalled May 20, 2009, 18:08  CrushBug 

InstallShield is one of the easiest parts of application development. It's literally a null-issue.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > No SecuROM in Dragon Age: Origins
39. Re: No SecuROM in Dragon Age: Origins May 5, 2009, 11:53  CrushBug 

Hey Crush will this game be on Steam upon release?
We haven't announced our digital distro options at this time. Stuff is still in progress and hopefully we will have more news in a month or so.
No ONLINE Securom BS, but probably still Securom
It is NOT SecuROM. Not sure how we can be any more clear on that. Here is what Chris said: "We have chosen not to use SecuROM in any version of Dragon Age"

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > No SecuROM in Dragon Age: Origins
16. Re: No SecuROM in Dragon Age: Origins May 4, 2009, 23:29  CrushBug 

I am always confused about the "delayed because of consoles" thing. Consoles or not, we needed more time to finish Dragon Age to our standards. The extra time we needed put the new release date somewhere around the planned release for the consoles. At that point, we decided to release them at the same time so as not to waste time and money on two different releases. Our delay was because of quality. I am sorry if you see it as due to consoles, but it just isn't true.

I am working on the PC version right now and we are not quite there yet. Sorry if you don't believe me.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins Preorder Bonuses
25. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Preorder Bonuses Apr 30, 2009, 12:50  CrushBug 

So are ya limited to just Dragon Age, or ya working on any other products say any more DLC for Mass Effect?
Heya Half. I am full time on Dragon Age. The Mass Effect team is running the show for ME1 DLC and obviously, ME2 development.
What's that book called?
Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins Preorder Bonuses
20. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Preorder Bonuses Apr 30, 2009, 02:08  CrushBug 

I'll sadly avoid it I think, as a general matter of course, the world I build up between the source material (the game in this case) and my imagination for everything that is "off camera" as it were never is lived up to in the setting fiction.
I have completed the book and really enjoyed it. The timeframe of the novel is before the events of the game. I found that after reading it, it laid a nice foundation for my next new game. I actually recommend reading the book quite strongly.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

213 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo