Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Derek French

Real Name Derek French   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CrushBug
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Producer, Live Team
BioWare
Homepage http://www.bioware.com/
Signed On May 27, 2000, 19:09
Total Comments 213 (Novice)
User ID 5028

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

News Comments > PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled
33. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 8, 2010, 13:32  CrushBug 

Hey guys, sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

Yes it was tested before uploading, yes it was verified on the server, yes it was downloaded and binarily compared before pushed live. And then everything went wrong. We had no indication that there was anything wrong with the download that everyone else was getting since we were all getting from the same CDN.

So, from there, it took quite a while to pull and purge the download package and then try and re-verify and propagate it again and then re-test everything. A 1.6 Gig package makes everything take longer.

Again, sorry for the hassle.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled
3. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 7, 2010, 20:43  CrushBug 

Yeah, we are sorry about the hassle on this one. The source file we have is fine, but the one up on the CDN (Content Distribution Network) is all zeros. Because the file is so large (1.6 Gig) it is very slow to re-test and re-propagate the file through all the systems.  
Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > April Fooling 2010, Part 2
8. Re: April Fooling 2010, Part 2 Apr 1, 2010, 19:14  CrushBug 

Sorry guys, but the item on greywardens.com did not come from BioWare or EA. We had nothing to do with it.  
Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Patch
18. Re: Mass Effect 2 Patch Feb 22, 2010, 19:48  CrushBug 

He was pretty cool about it, considering the uninstall also removed his saved games without prompting him.
It absolutely prompted him. It would have also prompted him asking if he wanted to uninstall Mass Effect, with no mention of Mass Effect 2. That prompt exists within the uninstaller as we are using the same installer/uninstaller system for Jade, ME1, DA and ME2. It is tragic that it happened, but there were two gates that he would have had to go through before the game and the saves were removed and none of the information presented to him was incorrect. It is just too bad that we never thought of testing uninstalling ME2 with ME1 installed. It just wasn't something we thought of.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Patch
12. Re: Mass Effect 2 Patch Feb 22, 2010, 18:35  CrushBug 

Fixed an issue where uninstalling the game under Windows Vista or Windows 7 might uninstall Mass Effect 1.

That is actually a bug that Microsoft introduced in Vista and 7. We keep our uninstallers in a common location and if you don't encase the full path to the Uninstaller in double-quotes, Windows will just pick another random executable from that directory and run it, instead of the executable the you explicitly entered. It is pretty crazy when you tell Windows to run 'Uninstall Mass Effect 2.exe' and Windows decides to run 'Uninstall Mass Effect.exe'

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Return to Ostagar Delays Explained
17. Re: Return to Ostagar Delays Explained Jan 20, 2010, 22:31  CrushBug 

Rob is certainly right about that. And regardless of the EA opinion, this is BioWare's decision to hold onto Ostagar right now. We are currently checking both the PC and 360 versions again right now. Once both have made there way through their respective processes they will be released.

Which one will be ready first? I don't know, since both are still in-progress. Our cutoff for anything is Thursday at Noon. If it is not ready by then, then it isn't going out that week and it will be held onto until the following Monday.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > WGA Video Game Nominees
2. Re: WGA Video Game Nominees Jan 15, 2010, 04:17  CrushBug 

I believe that to qualify for the WGA, the writer on the game has to actually belong to the WGA. That is probably why the list is so short.  
Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > NWN Premium Modules Yoinked
6. Re: NWN2 Premium Modules Yoinked Nov 8, 2009, 17:30  CrushBug 

We have never sold NWN2 premium modules on the BioWare Store.
The NWN premium modules weren't all that great anyway. Many of the freely available user-made campaigns at NWN Vault were superior, and they are all free.
Fair enough, but that was the point, to give people choices. Thankfully, many people liked the modules and their sales funded the continued NWN patches for another couple of years, beyond what we had originally planned. It certainly worked out well for BioWare and for the community since we released the content from the Premium Modules in subsequent patches.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > PC Dragon Age Has Top-Down Camera
4. Re: PC Dragon Age Has Top-Down Camera Oct 16, 2009, 19:54  CrushBug 

What Dots said.  
Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Dragon Age Pre-Purchase [Updated]
22. Re: Dragon Age Pre-Purchase Oct 16, 2009, 12:12  CrushBug 

So I've not seen any mention what DRM the digital editions will use...
For the most part, the digital versions will use whatever the digital companies use. For example, the Steam version uses Steam for its DRM. Off hand, I do not know what the other companies will use.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Dragon Age Character Creator & Social Network Launch
10. Re: Dragon Age Character Creator & Social Network Launch Oct 13, 2009, 17:29  CrushBug 

Yeah, deleting is fine too. Just wanted to drop this hint as it will work in the full game as well.  
Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Dragon Age Character Creator & Social Network Launch
7. Re: Dragon Age Character Creator & Social Network Launch Oct 13, 2009, 17:08  CrushBug 

Free gift for you all.

First viewing of intro movies with the ESRB and such being unskippable is a legal/ESRB requirement. After that, hit Esc to your heart's content. Even better, go to the INI file in your My Docs and put in:

file: My Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\Settings\DAOCharacterCreator.ini
section: [Movies]
key: DisableIntroMovies=1

And you are good to go.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans
111. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 14:29  CrushBug 

Go check out Brooks' Law in Wikipedia (it's under Brooks's Law). It states that a project that is already late will become more late as people are added to it. It ties in with his book "The Mythical Man-Month", and has been around for 35 years. Look up the book title too. It's got some interesting ideas on project management.

By setting up a separate team which does not interface directly with the project, and only uses output finalized by the main project, you can create further content without interrupting the work stream and introducing gamestopping bugs into the core game.
QFMFT.
Wow. That Game Informer review that CrushBug linked to was pretty crappy. I read previews that had at least five times as much info about the game. Can't believe their review was just a one-page quickie thing.
That is because it is a summary of their magazine review which is full and complete. With pictures, even!
While this may or may not be the case for your game...there have been many examples of paid DLC, that once purchased was merely unlocked and was just on the CD/DVD/Blu-Ray and no download was required other than an unlock key.
Correct and this is not the case with Dragon Age as you will have to download the content, since we are still working on some of it.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

77. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 02:50  CrushBug 

For a few days I have visited any site that has digital download to purchase KOTOR 2. Could you tell me why this game isn't available, and if there are any plans to release KOTOR 2 for digital download purchasing?
Sorry, but BioWare has no involvement with KotOR 2. The only ones who can answer this question are either Obsidian or Lucasarts.

For all the talk of this being a fresh and mature new setting, a lot of things in the trailers feel like a generic rip-off of LOTR.
I can say that there has yet to be a fantasy novel/movie/game that we haven't been accused of ripping off. You are so sure it's LotR, while others are adamant that it is a Song of Ice and Fire, while other are unswerving in their believe of it coming from RL Salvatore and others think it is all from The Witcher.

I suggest you play it and judge for yourself.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

48. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 23:20  CrushBug 

The game was originally scheduled to launch eight months ago. You get bought by EA, and suddenly it's delayed (and delayed) again, and now gets a console launch too.
If you have had any experience with a BioWare game launch I can firmly state that all delays and target platforms rest solely at the discretion of BioWare. We chose to delay the game. We chose the platforms we want it to be on. EA acquired BioWare and Pandemic about 2 years ago and they have been supportive about our decisions, not the cause of them. We are doing exactly what we want to do on this project.

Your devs have been saying that people can create whole adventures with the toolset in as little as a week, but a keep took more than 8 months to build?
I would love to hear the context of that quote. Can we throw together a rough adventure (FedEx/KillBoss) with no VO, no music, no new content, minimal dialog and mostly combat in a week? Sure. That is not what the DLC is and your 8 months is speculation.

You can check this concept out yourself by trying out any of the free content from NWVault for NWN. Compare the quality of the content that took a week to create against some of content that took a long time to create. Good things take time and all that other 80/20 stuff.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

43. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 22:39  CrushBug 

I'm starting to get the impression that what we are seeing here are game developers working on a project that they were told to work on by others that control the money.
Huh? DLC for Dragon Age came from us, the developers. We had a good experience with it and Neverwinter Nights and we think it is going to work well with Dragon Age. Only time will tell for sure.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

38. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 22:10  CrushBug 

These forums can break the strongest and most resilient among us.
Bah, this is nothing. I was on duty during launch day of Neverwinter Nights.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

37. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 22:04  CrushBug 

However the DLC was developed, whether parallel or not, it seems that that effort could have gone into the main game and so it feels like the game that we're being offered could have included more content.
Yeah, it doesn't work that way. Most game development is on a budget and the "people hose" almost never fixes the problems you hope it does. More doesn't automatically equal better or faster. Now setting up a different team on a different budget with revenue from the content it makes is something that can be done. But if you want to add 30 more people to the main team (doing what, I have no idea) with no budget, that would get shot down pretty fast so the idea doesn't really work.
Oh yeah, and god help you if there are any major issues with the game. Then you're really going to catch hell for having other people working on DLC to sell on day one.
Well Desslock said in a recent Qt3 post:
I can't even imagine how difficult this game was to QA, given all the choices and variations, etc. -- crashed zero times in 121 hours, no bugs, one incorrect journal entry (which had no affect on gameplay). It's actually amazing that there weren't evident scripting errors. Actually maybe one incident I can think of where characters acted like you had knowledge of something that I hadn't actually scene. but very clean technically.
There are always technical issues with PC games and we do our best to help people figure out what the problem is, but there are only so many of us and so many million of you, so we are a little out matched.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

33. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 21:50  CrushBug 

However, many gamers were "raised" on the idea that 100% of the effort should have gone into providing more content into the original game, and that DLC on day 1 shouldn't be necessary. I'd wager that many gamers feel it is a shady business practice altogether, and will want nothing to do with it.
Game development and the economics around it have changed in the last 9 years that I have been in the industry. I am not sure if BioWare would still exist if we developed games the same way we did years ago, DLC or not.

In the end, if you don't purchase any DLC you will still get a complete and full game. But don't take my word for it. Find a reviewer you trust and see if what they say about Dragon Age resonates with you. So far, on just the game alone, Game Informer gave it a 9.0 and said:
A speed demon could blow through the main story in 40 hours, but thorough players can expect about 70.
I am sorry if that sounds like an incomplete game to some of you because of an optional DLC announcement.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

18. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 20:28  CrushBug 

I think this would feel better if Bioware said, hey, here's a free DLC on day one as reward for purchasing the game.
We are doing that. Infact, we are giving you two pieces of free DLC.

Included in all versions of the PC game are codes for two pieces of free DLC: Shale and the Blood Dragon armor. Neither pieces of DLC are included on the disk (as they were finalized separately by the DA online team on a different schedule). You can redeem those codes and download that content on day one.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

213 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo