Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Derek French

Real Name Derek French   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CrushBug
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Producer, Live Team
BioWare
Homepage http://www.bioware.com/
Signed On May 27, 2000, 19:09
Total Comments 214 (Novice)
User ID 5028

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

News Comments > Next Dragon Age Begins in October
25. Re: Next Dragon Age Begins in October Apr 22, 2014, 14:05  CrushBug 

I think there's like 6 seconds of gameplay here.

Yeah, it was unfortunate that they named it a gameplay trailer. It was all in-engine footage, though. Frostbite FTW.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 18, 2014, 12:09  CrushBug 

When I read "Sextortionist" I thought it meant Sexual Contortionist. That would have been a far more interesting incident and article.  
Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Battlefield Bad Company 2 Offline?
20. Re: Battlefield Bad Company 2 Offline? Sep 27, 2013, 13:21  CrushBug 

This login issue for Dragon Age Origins should now be resolved.  
Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Battlefield Bad Company 2 Offline?
17. Re: Battlefield Bad Company 2 Offline? Sep 24, 2013, 18:27  CrushBug 

I cannot comment on Battlefield, but this login problem is also affecting Dragon Age Origins.

We are working with EA on a solution and hope to have more information, if not a solution, within the next day or so.

Sorry for the hassle.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > KOTOR Turns 10
1. Re: KOTOR Turns 10 Jul 15, 2013, 20:02  CrushBug 

For me, I had just finished my first game at BioWare, MDK2 PC. I was a Line Producer, an entry-level position, recently created at BioWare. The then-Lead Programmer, Cam, called me into his office to tell me some news that most of the company didn't know yet. He said:

"We just got a license to do a new game. What is your favorite movie?"
"Star Wars," I answered quickly.
"We are doing a Star Wars game."
"Get the @#%& out of here!"

What a ride...

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Farming Simulator 2013 Trailer
1. Re: Farming Simulator 2013 Trailer Sep 28, 2012, 11:50  CrushBug 

Naw, this is how you do a trailer for this game:

http://videosift.com/video/Farming-Simulator-Mad-Skills

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Rebellion Pack DLC Next Week
20. Re: Mass Effect 3 Rebellion Pack DLC Next Week May 24, 2012, 18:56  CrushBug 

Creston wrote on May 16, 2012, 13:05:
Probably won't come out until next month, and they're likely going to charge for it, which will be the death of the MP.

If you release it on the 31st just to spite me, I'm going to be SO ANGRY, DEREK!!!

But if it's free, then that's awesome, and I happily stand corrected.

Creston
Bazinga!

What kills the game more than anything is that EA's servers have been shit for over two weeks now, and EAware/EA doesn't do anything about it. Quite a lot of people report disconnects 3 out of 4 matches.
These are things we are still actively looking into. As with all issues that are not reproducible at the office, it is difficult to find and fix these things. Some of these issues are to do with the host you are connecting to and not the EA servers themselves. There are a few fixes in the next patch to try and address this issue.
And then there's the MYRIAD of bugs that have been in since day 1 that nobody bothers to fix. Vanguard bug that glitches half the Vanguards? Eh, whatever.
There are a few Vanguard fixes in the next patch.
Reave sound bug? Eh whatever.
Fixed in the next patch. (If we are talking about the same bug.)
Bug where enemies get stuck outside the map, so you can't go on with the round? Eh, whatever.
Some of these spawn issues have been fixed in the next patch. I cannot say that it has fixed all of them, but it should have dealt with some.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 MP DLC Revealed?
8. Re: Mass Effect 3 MP DLC Revealed? May 16, 2012, 16:08  CrushBug 

Creston wrote on May 16, 2012, 13:05:
Probably won't come out until next month, and they're likely going to charge for it, which will be the death of the MP.

Creston
Notes date and time of this prediction.

Free MP packs was always our plan, regardless of speculation to the contrary. I don't believe there are any plans to change that for any possible future map pack DLC.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Connection Issues
3. Re: Mass Effect 3 Connection Issues May 3, 2012, 21:15  CrushBug 

The message is of course incorrect and could be saying "I like turtles." for all that it means. It is choking on some server messaging and this has nothing to do with DRM or the like. Once we wrangle the errant server under control those affected will be able to play again. Thankfully it isn't affecting many customers, but we almost have it all resolved at this time.  
Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Resurgence DLC Released
6. Re: Mass Effect 3 Resurgence DLC Released Apr 10, 2012, 23:18  CrushBug 

Sepharo wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 23:02:
I thought free DLC on Xbox was a Microsoft no-no.
Not at all.
jacobvandy wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 21:22:
Lol, so somebody put this DLC on Xbox Live at the cost of $4, and apparently a bunch of people bought it.
There was an error in the Xbox Marketplace that posted an incomplete version of Resurgence for a cost. This item was not the map pack and was unpurchasable; it would result in an error if you tried. We have no confirmed reports of a successful purchase. If anyone managed to complete this purchase, have them contact us and we will work with Microsoft to get this issue reverted/resolved.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Free Mass Effect 3 Resurgence Pack Next Week
17. Re: Free Mass Effect 3 Resurgence Pack Next Week Apr 7, 2012, 22:03  CrushBug 

No doubt this would not be free DLC if EA wasn't in full on damage-control mode right now.

They were originally going to charge for it but decided to give it free after all the negative publicity recently.
Nope, they were always planned to be free. I know saying that won't convince of it, but I have been working on the operations side of these things and charging for them was never in the plans.

Resurgence is going to be a lot of fun and we will probably want to do more map packs in the future.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Free Mass Effect 3 Resurgence Pack Next Week
3. Re: Free Mass Effect 3 Resurgence Pack Next Week Apr 6, 2012, 22:31  CrushBug 

D4rkKnight wrote on Apr 6, 2012, 21:15:
How is a multi-player expansion the first thing released for a -until now- single player rpg?
Because we don't need to do writing, VO recording, scripting, cinematic design and other SP-only work for multiplayer map packs. That is the stuff that takes up the majority of the development time.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions Announced
1. Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions Announced Mar 15, 2012, 17:08  CrushBug 

Its "Beamdog", not "Moondog"

http://www.beamdog.com/

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access
60. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access Feb 16, 2012, 16:40  CrushBug 

nin wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 09:30:
Sadly, I doubt we'll ever get a reply to that. And even if we did, it would be a EA marketing approved comment.
Apply for a job, get hired, and I will tell you all about it.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

56. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access Feb 16, 2012, 03:54  CrushBug 

Wraith wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 01:21:
Windows 7 64-bit on a 680iLT motherboard. I'm not running the Nvidia Nforce drivers at all - they're legendary for issues.
OK, thanks, I will pass that on to the guys that are trying to track down this issue. There are a number of people having this problem and we are hoping to get it resolved before the full game goes live.
What's particularly galling is that I get the "Press Shift F1 for Origin" message and I can even bring up the Origin overlay in the game.
Yeah, the in-game overlay is a separate part that doesn't have any other dependencies.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

51. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access Feb 15, 2012, 16:00  CrushBug 

Wraith wrote on Feb 14, 2012, 23:59:
Oh for fuck's sake, not again.

"Origin(EA) is no longer running. Mass Effect 3 will now close".

Yes it is you piece of shit. Another EA clusterfuck.

Here's a clue, you useless fucks. When you put in a DRM solution, make sure it fucking works. This useless piece of shit broke Need for Speed and now Mass Effect 3 is broken.

Time to cancel the Collector's Edition preorder. I'm not buying a piece of crap which won't connect because EA employs programmers who are literally too stupid to cope with TCP/IP.
Hey, if you could, can you post what OS you are running and what motherboard chipset you are using? We have a few instances where an nForce software firewall is interfering with ME3 and Origin communicating with each other, even though Origin is still running. I am not saying this is exclusively a firewall problem, but it has been one that we have seen and been able to fix for some users.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

26. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access Feb 14, 2012, 20:50  CrushBug 

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 14, 2012, 14:38:
The crash from ME2 where draging and dropping new abilities on the quickselect bar hasn't been fixed.
The fix went into the main game, but did not make it into the Demo. Sorry about that.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins Patch
1. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Patch Nov 25, 2011, 17:54  CrushBug 

...and replaces the game's EA Download Manager authentication system for the Ultimate Edition with the system used by the Origin service.

Sorry, that is not quite right. The 1.05 patch installer will fix a bug with the EA Download Manager delivered version of the game. This would only occur if you had purchased the game from the EA store before the Origin service was launched. We have had this patch in Beta for some time and customers have used the earlier versions to resolve this problem. This problem no longer occurs if you buy the game through the Origin store.

There have been no changes to the game's authentication system. The good news is that we have fixed a number of DLC authentication issues in the update.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > SecuROM in Dragon Age II?
27. Re: SecuROM in Dragon Age II? Mar 11, 2011, 18:58  CrushBug 

Its still a running process

There is no running process once it unwraps and self-destructs.

its still in your registry

An inert registry entry that does nothing.

its still on your HD

In a temp folder that is never referenced again. This part is sloppy and should be cleaned up, though. We will see about doing that in a patch.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > SecuROM in Dragon Age II?
20. Re: SecuROM in Dragon Age II? Mar 11, 2011, 18:07  CrushBug 

Sorry, but there is some confusion on this. We use Sony Release Control which shares some functionality with other Sony products (SecuROM), but we do not use SecuROM for the DRM. Once the Sony Release Control check is passed, Release Control self-destructs, removing the Release Control wrapper and it is never used again. Game updates will not use Release Control because obviously the release date is passed. Additionally, installing the game and then any future game patch will also remove the Sony Release Control check and it will never run on your computer.  
Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

214 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo