Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shane Nyberg

Real Name Shane Nyberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Matshock
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 4, 2008, 03:51
Total Comments 330 (Amateur)
User ID 50185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > Black Mesa Source This Month
45. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 2, 2012, 20:43 Matshock

Prez wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 20:05:
I really liked the Xen sequence at the end of Half-Life (okay, the Super Mario/Gordon jumping was a tad annoying) because as awesome as Black Mesa was, one can only spend so much time in it before it becomes old hat. Xen was a perfect and much needed fresh angle, and suitably and deliciously foreign and alien. To me anyway - judging by the near universal dislike of the Xen levels it is clear I am in the distinct minority.

If it were me I would just drop the first part of Interloper and the entire factory map and call it a Xen. The rest of it was pretty enjoyable to me.

Leaving out the Gonarch would be a bad move IMO.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 31, 2012, 21:00 Matshock

Having worked at both BB/CUSA during my college years: Apple's sales strategy is a step up. The problem would be finding technology people that want to be shiny and positive 100% of the time- they will still struggle with qualifications vs. attitude.

As for working weekends- if you're on commission you better like working weekends. I'd bring in almost as much money working a couple evenings and then fri-sat as other made working full time 9-5.

News Comments > UE3 on WinRT
13. Re: UE3 on WinRT Aug 29, 2012, 15:54 Matshock

DangerDog wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 15:44:
raise your had if you actually want to play an fps game on a tablet.

[/Al Bundy] I thought not. [/Al Bundy]

News Comments > UE3 on WinRT
5. Re: UE3 on WinRT Aug 29, 2012, 13:51 Matshock

The future is looking bleak for graphics quality. Nvidia isn't going to be fitting a 700 series GPU with 2 gigs of ram into a tablet any time soon. NVM physics running on a tablet CPU.

Back<<<<<<<<<<<<<To the Future.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2012, 11:10 Matshock

How Scientists Stopped Klebsiella Pneumoniae:

I read the story twice- they didn't stop it. The disease ran its course after spreading around the hospital for months. They had to run hundreds of tests on patients that would have been unnecessary otherwise. They managed to contain it to a degree with a massive conventional effort.

All the tales of KPC being able to spread in ways they couldn't account for before DNA sequencing is a lie. It's a bacteria- when you don't succeed in a fully sterile isolation it spreads so this:

The woman went into strict isolation: Everyone entering her room donned a protective gown and gloves and rigorously washed their hands. Her medical equipment got special decontamination. All other patients in the ICU had their throats and groins tested regularly to see if the bug was spreading.

...contains some kind of lie. The patient was obviously not received in isolation so someone upstream screwed up big-time at a minimum.

All the DNA sequencer did was confirm what they should have already known- and perhaps got those digi-dependent technocrats to move and do the right thing after the fact.

Technology doesn't replace due diligence. Nature is not tamed yet.

News Comments > etc.
31. Re: etc. Aug 22, 2012, 00:29 Matshock

There's the problem though Beamer- I haven't called for the .gov to push a Biblical agenda even once. You just think I have because you are hysterical with fear- because you know the liberal way of life can't be free of dire negative consequences without heavy-handed government protection and funding.

That's going to happen soon- you're out of other peoples' money. I just want us to recognize that and prepare accordingly rather than wake up one day to find the WIC and SNAP card accounts empty and a panic to set in- or alternatively the cards still work but you can't buy much with them because a loaf of bread costs $20.00.

The best we can hope to do now is take the chains off of domestic energy, industry and farming. That way at least we can move and eat and work.

It will be a mercy if we can even maintain Social Security and Medicare for current seniors.

Romney/Ryan's rhetoric looks pretty rosy to me. I think they're in for a rough ride even if they do win.

Theocracy is about as far away from reality for the USA as a state-funded liberal paradise.

Anyhow, this is going way too macro. This is my last political post on BN's. Folks have pretty much made up their minds at this point anyway if they even have minds to make.

Keep the peace and I will too- take care.

News Comments > etc.
14. Re: etc. Aug 21, 2012, 15:42 Matshock

Beamer wrote on Aug 21, 2012, 15:03:

Nor was it coined by Mussolini.

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Aug 21, 2012, 15:31:

Yes, Mussolini coined the term fascism...

I'll just step aside and let you two work that out.

As for word origins if you would like to hike all the way back to the founding of Jericho be my guests.

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: etc. Aug 21, 2012, 15:22 Matshock

Beamer wrote on Aug 21, 2012, 15:03:
Matshock wrote on Aug 21, 2012, 14:31:
Beamer wrote on Aug 21, 2012, 13:15:
Matshock wrote on Aug 21, 2012, 11:16:
...about the collapse of 38 Studios, which got a $75 million loan guarantee from the state in 2010.

I agree, only a dunce would invest $75 million taxpayer dollars in a start up headed up by an athlete during a depression in a state with a toxic business climate.

Another monument to Amerikan fascism...

Nice k. Now how is this fascism?

I'm glad you asked. The original term was coined by Benito Mussolini-
fascism being the combination of words federal and capitalism- so, essentially federally controlled capitalism.

I'm using the word according to its origins rather than the Orwellian newspeak you may be accustomed to.

Now there's a bit of license in the sense that we in the USA also have supposedly sovereign states but I wouldn't be surprised if the loan was ultimately backed by the federal government anyway.

New London and Pfizer have a huge multi-million dollar empty field that used to be a neighborhood. That's another great example of Amerikan Fascism.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/13/nyregion/13pfizer.html

Actually, that's not the definition of fascism. It especially isn't the etymology, as it comes from Latin, not being a combination of two English words, and does not even derive from the same terms that "Federal" or "Capitalism" come from.

Nor was it coined by Mussolini.

Wow. All I'll say is "Wow."

Wow, another denial of me by you with no citations. Wow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercapitalism_(concept_in_Italian_Fascism)

Some words have very similar phonetic properties and meanings across different languages. Wow.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fascism

Origin:
1915–20; < Italian fascismo, equivalent to fasc ( io ) bundle, political group ( see fasces) + -ismo -ism

Italian isn't Latin. Wow.

B.M. was at the front of creating the world's first major fascist state and thus defined *or coined* the term. Wow.

Seriously kid- who are you trying to impress?

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Aug 21, 2012, 14:31 Matshock

Beamer wrote on Aug 21, 2012, 13:15:
Matshock wrote on Aug 21, 2012, 11:16:
...about the collapse of 38 Studios, which got a $75 million loan guarantee from the state in 2010.

I agree, only a dunce would invest $75 million taxpayer dollars in a start up headed up by an athlete during a depression in a state with a toxic business climate.

Nice k. Now how is this fascism?

I'm glad you asked. The original term was coined by Benito Mussolini-
fascism being the combination of words federal and capitalism- so, essentially federally controlled capitalism.

I'm using the word according to its origins rather than the Orwellian newspeak you may be accustomed to.

Now there's a bit of license in the sense that we in the USA also have supposedly sovereign states but I wouldn't be surprised if the loan was ultimately backed by the federal government anyway.

New London and Pfizer have a huge multi-million dollar empty field that used to be a neighborhood. That's another great example of Amerikan Fascism.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/13/nyregion/13pfizer.html

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Aug 21, 2012, 11:46 Matshock

Verno wrote on Aug 21, 2012, 11:32:
Chafee opposed the deal but he wasn't governor when it went down. Curt's incompetence is well documented by the media at this point, blame shifting won't do him any good.

That's good to know. Now all RI needs to do is to replace their legislature with (I)ndependent minded people.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Aug 21, 2012, 11:16 Matshock

News Comments > Gone Gold - Borderlands 2
27. Re: Gone Gold - Borderlands 2 Aug 19, 2012, 20:33 Matshock

Meh- pass.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 15, 2012, 17:03 Matshock

I was just pondering buying a nice upgrade kit from Newegg and changing out the guts in my desktop, getting Windows 7 and finally going 64 bit.

Then it occurred to me that Windows 8/ XBOX your PC is just around the corner and I could be wasting my time & money.

I wonder how HW manufacturers like MS now?

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
87. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Aug 14, 2012, 01:33 Matshock

I can see this is winding down. I learned one new thing about this late generation of the left though- they use a manipulative practice I expect from small children and attempt to apply it to issues far beyond their grasp.

Taking what I or others say out of context and then attempting to force me to answer for it is something I expect from a seven year old- literally. I know pre-teen children who know better than to do that.

Employers and anyone else that can help you advance in your life will shun you if you ever try this on them- even once; it's that disturbing to hear coming from a young adult.

Anyhow, as a last gift:

http://www2.dse.unibo.it/zanella/papers/crime-EP.pdf

Europe is experiencing a sharp increase in violent crime, the USA is still declining as of the beginning of this year anyway. The UK is practically on fire compared to the USA.

I won't be returning to this thread.

83. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Aug 13, 2012, 17:09 Matshock

Beamer wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 16:54:
Matshock wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 16:41:
Beamer wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 16:35:
Matshock wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 16:14:
Beamer wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 15:00:
Well, guns clearly make it worse. Had the Batman shooter had a hammer instead of a gun with a 200 round magazine there would have been far fewer casualties, and stabbing/hammering someone is certainly more visceral and harder to do than merely pulling a trigger (I'd wager most of these people are too cowardly to do that.)

But yes, it'd still be happening, just with fewer casualties and likely fewer incidents as a whole.

And it's amusing that you're saying religion would solve this. I'm pretty certain there's an area in this world full of religious bombings that would disagree wholly, as well as a few periods of history full of religious inquisitions and crusades that would also disagree.

Holmes had a 100 round magazine that jammed- and they are well known for jamming by anyone that even bothered to read up on the case itself before posting about it.

I'll pretty much guarantee you that the majority of the wounds were caused by the pump-action shotgun and most likely the majority of the deaths as well although that may have been the handgun.

That aside- not likely. If you take away all guns they will find a way to make explosives and use those. And if through decades of pacification you manage to make people afraid of guns and explosives and all violence, they will be that much more docile and easy to kill with knives or hammers by the maladjusted among them.

PS I didn't say "religion would solve this"- reading comprehension fail but we already knew that.

No, but you did say that these people more and more aren't part of the values of most religions. Which would imply that you feel that, if they did buy into the values of most religions, they would not do this.
Did you mean for that to be interpreted in any other way?

Not sure how you think people having guns means they're easier to kill with other means, either. Because we're not afraid of guns we're harder to kill with other weapons?

I didn't say anything like "most religions". I said something very specific.

Your second question has nothing to do with my post about guns either.

Bye.

For the rest of you- that shooting in TX looks like an eviction gone bad, not a mass shooting. In places like Chicago that's called "Monday" and they don't report it in the news.

"Bye?"

Ok. I suppose you mean you're ignoring me. My questions were that bad? I haven't even taken an actual side on this, I'm just questioning on yours. Thin-skin.

You didn't say "most religions," you said "christian and buddhist religions." Not sure why you're splitting the hair here. Do you not want to include Hinduism in that? Or is it some other?

My second question directly relates to your post, too. Direct quote:
. And if through decades of pacification you manage to make people afraid of guns and explosives and all violence, they will be that much more docile and easy to kill with knives or hammers by the maladjusted among them. My second question was asking you to elaborate on that. How can you deny having said it?

Here's what I actually said:

IMO these people are all ideologues that aren't constrained by the kind of ethics normally associated with kind-minded Christian or Buddhist and the like faiths- or at a minimum a nurturing atomic or at a bare minimum a nurturing extended family. More and more of us have none of the above- the state is our mother and our father and it is a cold, distant household.

I see many important concepts in print that you are pretending aren't there. Does this kindergarten-level of manipulation work on your peers?

As for my skin- you apparently missed the two pages of unsuccessful attempts to discredit my ideas before you arrived.

But you are by far the least of my detractors in this thread- and that is indeed a low point.

81. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Aug 13, 2012, 16:41 Matshock

Beamer wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 16:35:
Matshock wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 16:14:
Well, guns clearly make it worse. Had the Batman shooter had a hammer instead of a gun with a 200 round magazine there would have been far fewer casualties, and stabbing/hammering someone is certainly more visceral and harder to do than merely pulling a trigger (I'd wager most of these people are too cowardly to do that.)

But yes, it'd still be happening, just with fewer casualties and likely fewer incidents as a whole.

And it's amusing that you're saying religion would solve this. I'm pretty certain there's an area in this world full of religious bombings that would disagree wholly, as well as a few periods of history full of religious inquisitions and crusades that would also disagree.

Holmes had a 100 round magazine that jammed- and they are well known for jamming by anyone that even bothered to read up on the case itself before posting about it.

I'll pretty much guarantee you that the majority of the wounds were caused by the pump-action shotgun and most likely the majority of the deaths as well although that may have been the handgun.

That aside- not likely. If you take away all guns they will find a way to make explosives and use those. And if through decades of pacification you manage to make people afraid of guns and explosives and all violence, they will be that much more docile and easy to kill with knives or hammers by the maladjusted among them.

PS I didn't say "religion would solve this"- reading comprehension fail but we already knew that.

No, but you did say that these people more and more aren't part of the values of most religions. Which would imply that you feel that, if they did buy into the values of most religions, they would not do this.
Did you mean for that to be interpreted in any other way?

Not sure how you think people having guns means they're easier to kill with other means, either. Because we're not afraid of guns we're harder to kill with other weapons?

I didn't say anything like "most religions". I said something very specific.

Your second question has nothing to do with my post about guns either.

Bye.

For the rest of you- that shooting in TX looks like an eviction gone bad, not a mass shooting. In places like Chicago that's called "Monday" and they don't report it in the news.

79. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Aug 13, 2012, 16:14 Matshock

77. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Aug 13, 2012, 14:56 Matshock

Beamer wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 14:37:
Sepharo wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 19:10:
Matshock wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 18:46:
...and here are the gears of government healthcare turning on guns:

http://www.ajc.com/health/doctors-target-gun-violence-1497342.html

—Disease patterns, observing how a problem spreads. Gun ownership — a precursor to gun violence — can spread "much like an infectious disease circulates," said Daniel Webster, a health policy expert and co-director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research in Baltimore.

And then he explains the metaphor...
"There's sort of a contagion phenomenon" after a shooting, where people feel they need to have a gun for protection or retaliation, he said.

Are you going to say that gun sales don't jump up after mass shootings?

Typically when people say something is "contagious" like this, they mean in the way Malcolm Gladwell describes in The Turning Point. The story he tells there is of contagious suicides on some pacific island. Essentially suicide rates amongst young boys are skyhigh because it's just a thing there. Someone does it, then someone else does it, and it becomes a culturally accepted thing. Somene doing it puts the ideas in the next boy's head and makes him think it's an acceptable choice.

That's what these shootings become. They are contagious, as the more common they are the more that will occur, and the more that occur the more common they become.

Hence the Texas shooting going on as I'm posting this.

You're using the correct concept. The doctor in the article is trying to dumb it down to gun ownership as the ultimate cause here because again, the people funding his "research" want that result.

I'm saying if it weren't guns it would be knives and if if weren't knives it would be hammers, etc. because it is the people doing the killing that are the ultimate cause, not the tools they use. Just wait until these kooks get some explosives.

IMO these people are all ideologues that aren't constrained by the kind of ethics normally associated with kind-minded Christian or Buddhist and the like faiths- or at a minimum a nurturing atomic or at a bare minimum a nurturing extended family. More and more of us have none of the above- the state is our mother and our father and it is a cold, distant household.

74. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Aug 12, 2012, 20:04 Matshock

Sepharo wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 19:10:
Matshock wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 18:46:

—Disease patterns, observing how a problem spreads. Gun ownership — a precursor to gun violence — can spread "much like an infectious disease circulates," said Daniel Webster, a health policy expert and co-director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research in Baltimore.

And then he explains the metaphor...
"There's sort of a contagion phenomenon" after a shooting, where people feel they need to have a gun for protection or retaliation, he said.

Are you going to say that gun sales don't jump up after mass shootings?

Thanks for not even trying to argue that .gov isn't trying to use health care to go after the right to bear arms- they are right now.

To answer your question, sales do spike sometimes- but mass shootings don't. Perhaps spikes in gun sales are more of an immune response than an infection? Or is there no difference when it is politically expedient to ignore it?

How about mass school stabbings- knives to blame?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_attacks_in_China_(2010%E2%80%932011)

How about hammers? Rocks?

People are the problem- Laughner was a militant atheist lefty, the VT shooter was a Malthusian atheist lefty and I bet Holmes will turn out to be an atheist lefty too.

Now Page may arguably be a right winger but also an atheist.

Seeing a real trend in late mass shootings yet? Where is your absence of a God now?

72. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Aug 12, 2012, 18:46 Matshock

...now the article did bury in its center the fact that violent crime and gun ownership trends have been moving counter to one another for the last 20+ years- i.e. more guns and less violent crime. But then they ignore their own research and end the article with the whole "guns are an icky disease" narrative.

Why should I let these people tell me what to do everyday again? Anyone?

330 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo