Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shane Nyberg

Real Name Shane Nyberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Matshock
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 4, 2008, 03:51
Total Comments 330 (Amateur)
User ID 50185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > Chris Roberts Game Countdown?
8. Re: Chris Roberts Game Countdown? Sep 10, 2012, 13:51 Matshock

I don't know if I would call the film Wing Commander sophisticated.

But have at it Mr. Roberts, have at it.

PS they don't use film anymore. Or floppy discs, so so many floppy discs. But I digress...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 10, 2012, 13:28 Matshock

Haha FBI- Facebook already did that and they spent $50 billion!

News Comments > Chris Roberts Game Countdown?
2. Re: Chris Roberts Game Countdown? Sep 10, 2012, 12:25 Matshock

A space action game with cool physics wouldn't suck. A space action game with cool physics where you can get out and fight FPS style would rock.

News Comments > Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow
16. Re: Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow Sep 9, 2012, 23:01 Matshock

"Die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

I only asked for a refund from Steam once then got it- no hassle.

I just migrated from Vista 32-bit to W7 64 bit on a new hdd/cpu/board/etc. I installed Steam then downloaded the games in my library I wanted to play with no hassle.

Guess what's going to happen when I try to take my MS Office install disk and put it on my new hdd? I bet it won't be so easy.

News Comments > Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow
3. Re: Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow Sep 9, 2012, 15:02 Matshock

I like the fact that Counterstrike GO has all different nationalities for both the good guys and the bad guys. The use of the generic "american" & "russian" in other publisher's IPs is weak.

Keep on keepin' on Gabe.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Preorders; System Specs
54. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Preorders; System Specs Sep 9, 2012, 00:46 Matshock

Yes, thanks dj- I like the sound of classic/ironman to start with.

Construction Yard-

At a minimum I would have stacked up my squad behind that building that the sectoids were hiding in then breached and swept across the map laterally- that's not even a great strategy, it's just what the geometry of the map dictates.

If I were feeling frisky I would have left my sniper at the entrance for a possible flank against a reacting opfor.

I sure as hell would not run right up the center.

51. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Preorders; System Specs Sep 8, 2012, 21:03 Matshock

Yifes wrote on Sep 8, 2012, 19:12:
Good video. The only thing I don't like is the small map and squad sizes. Now you can't bring a skyranger full of rookie cannon fodder with you

I agree- hopefully the game gets harder/bigger in the last half.

That dev team was making massive mistakes and still winning. They should have been cut to ribbons in a crossfire in that construction yard- the enemy AI is very uncoordinated.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
26. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 7, 2012, 18:07 Matshock

I wonder what kind of external GPU solution one could make out of a pair of USB 3.0 connections?

I was looking at AMD & Intel integrated GPU benchmarks- they're a step up but they're barley usable for modern games at low resolutions.

Desktops are on the way down now though, no doubt.

32. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Preorders; System Specs Sep 7, 2012, 13:47 Matshock

Already #1 on the Steam charts- and I think they had then removed the pre-order discount.

We'll blow through the bonus #1 threshold in less than an hour from now I bet. I don't have Civ 5- I wouldn't mind that.

Firaxis took what looked like a doomed IP and brought it back in style- I have no problems supporting them.

28. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Preorders; System Specs Sep 7, 2012, 12:52 Matshock

I'm in. I haven't even bought Skyrim yet, I plan on skipping Borderlands 2 but I wouldn't miss this one.

I'll have to play through Black Mesa Source to tide me over.

22. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 7, 2012, 12:39 Matshock

Not to mention noise- going from a Phenom 9500 to an i3 I went from a vacuum cleaner HSF to a dinky Intel stock HSF that works just fine. I even get to turn down my case fans.  

20. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 7, 2012, 12:32 Matshock

Prez wrote on Sep 7, 2012, 11:13:
I don't find the price performance ratio that different at all, in fact I see better price performance with Intel right now. I'll have to drum up some links where they make plot graphs showing this. AMD is all well below right now.

I'd actually like to see such comparisons - it would give me a reason to try Intel cpu's. If the bang for the buck is indeed on Intel's side, it's news to me and I thank you for bringing it to my attention.

With the i3 it was the case when I bought some new guts for my case last week.

Plus one of the reasons that AMD is in such trouble is that they have to use 8 cores to accomplish little more than what Intel is doing with 2 and much less than what they are doing with 4.

10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 7, 2012, 01:25 Matshock

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 22:48:
Let's hope so, Intel made a superb CPU with the I7 and the I5 and AMD doesn't seem to be recuperating from that in a way that's healthy.

And ATI.. well let's just say, that ATI is ATI .. ATI didn't make the 460GTX ... that was Nvidia. And it was the standard pwns-everything-at-its-price card. Before that, nvidia made the 6600gt and the 8800gt , the back then pwns-everything-at-its-price cards.

How many of these cards from Ati do you know? Apart from the Radeon 9700 which was the 1 and ONLY card from ATI that totally pwned nvidia, for a short, a very short, while.

I've been an AMD customer since the original Athlon- I used a pencil to unlock my Athlon II for overclocking.

But I just bought an i3 2120. The only competitive AMD CPU out right now is the A8 and then only for applications that build in support for 8 cores. Plus I can just plug in an i5/7 later if needs be- no guarantees on the boards for the A8.

For GPUs I can see folks going either way depending on what is a good deal at the time. When DX11 titles started coming out last year AMD was actually ahead of Nvidia in terms of driver support, now they appear to be at parity.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 6, 2012, 11:12 Matshock

Huh- previous reports were of an Intel CPU. Intel in the XBOX, IBM in the 360 and AMD in the 720?

I'm gonna wait for confirmation on this one.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Armored Kill Launch Trailer
23. Re: Battlefield 3 Armored Kill Launch Trailer Sep 5, 2012, 15:34 Matshock

I actually went and checked the official BF blog- there was one post about stepping up anti-cheat efforts in January 2012 then nothing but expansion marketing thereafter.

That pretty much tells me everything I need to know- pass.

It's a shame too- BF3 was awesome from release up until DEC 2011. I'd be all in but for the cheating.

7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 5, 2012, 15:10 Matshock

Leper wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 14:53:
Feel good councilors don't cut it for childhood depression- it's a physiological problem that can't be talked through

The worst is church counselors: "you need to pray more."

You do. But you also need a correct antidepressant and the supervision that goes with it.

Hack psychologists that drop a bottle of Prozac in a parent's lap then forget about the patient that isn't right in front of them are just as bad.

Prozac for example is a pretty effective disinhibitor- give it to a bipolar person and it will fill in their lows then potencially drive them to violent psychosis when they hit their highs.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 5, 2012, 13:23 Matshock

I finally installed W7 this week- mostly because W8 is a dog and I don't want to get left out in the cold.  

4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 5, 2012, 13:10 Matshock

netnerd85 wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 12:47:
Very sad that the kid killed himself. Blaming a game is unprofessional and no doubt very stressful for the parents to hear. The coroner should be sacked for talking bullsh*t.

Yes- the world cannot and will not be rendered into one big padded room. Plenty of folks are still trying to do just that though.

Anyone who thinks their child is suffering from mental illness needs to invest in a good CLINICAL psychologist at a minimum. If you're looking into anti-depressants spring for a Psychiatrist (12 years of higher education and they monitor anti-depressant use properly).

Feel good councilors don't cut it for childhood depression- it's a physiological problem that can't be talked through.

News Comments > Labor Day Consolidation
12. Re: Labor Day Consolidation Sep 4, 2012, 00:54 Matshock

Jerykk wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 00:19:
I hope they emphasize texture resolution because that's the only thing the PC versions won't be able to easily fix.

That's what I'm talking about- you can have a 1080P resolution but a 480P texture- the lower res texture just get overdrawn to the display resolution. That can take the jaggies out of the geometry but the surfaces still look blurry/pixelated.

One usually can't fit a full game's worth of X1080 textures into a GB or two of VRAM- you have to stream them from the HDD. Consumer grade optical drives don't have the access speed needed to do it (yet).

News Comments > Labor Day Consolidation
8. Re: Labor Day Consolidation Sep 3, 2012, 22:43 Matshock

I bet XBOX 720/ PS4 are 1080P. I bet WII U won't have a hard drive so 1080P would just end up over-scanning the textures anyway.

I'll end up buying a WII U when it's under $100.00 pre-owned- something to play with my children- Nintendo still has some fun IPs not meaningfully reproduced on other platforms.

330 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo