Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shane Nyberg

Real Name Shane Nyberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Matshock
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 4, 2008, 03:51
Total Comments 330 (Amateur)
User ID 50185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Interview
27. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interview Apr 25, 2011, 16:00 Matshock

Prez wrote on Apr 25, 2011, 15:49:
I have yet to see any good argument to the contrary here and the dismissive platitudes are even weaker than Randy's crap.

If you don't consider the content in DNF to be entertainment then there is no argument to be made against that - your morals are yours and you decided that this crossed the line for you, which I have no problem with. What I do have a problem with is someone telling me that because it crosses the line for them, it should be disallowed for everyone. That's crap, plain and simple.

I've laughed at the occasional 'wife-beater' joke, been entertained by movies and TV shows in which spousal abuse was a key theme, and nothing in DNF seems to be over-the line as far as I'm concerned. A bit sophomoric, sure, but nothing terribly offensive.

BAH- I never asked for authoritarian intervention against GB. Others assigned that argument to me falsely and you just regurgitated it.

I would however encourage people on a personal level to make a good decision, and I believe I have made a good decision re: DNF as of right now.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interview Apr 25, 2011, 15:31 Matshock

Anything can be normalized- I tend to think of it this way; violence CAN be positive when itís defensive in nature.

Violence against women not trying to seriously injure or kill someone else etc. etc. isn't positive.

Either way, my original point is that hiding behind "art" to push something vile is an overused, BS excuse and thatís weak and tired.

GB's contention is that slapping a woman to win her compliance is entertainment. I contend it isn't and put my money where my mouth is.

I have yet to see any good argument to the contrary here and the dismissive platitudes are even weaker than Randy's crap.

Take care thread people.

15. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interview Apr 25, 2011, 14:28 Matshock

Verno wrote on Apr 25, 2011, 14:20:
Duke Nukem 3D had some interesting gameplay ideas at the time but a large part of its appeal was it's "shock jock" factor so I'm not sure why you would have ever preordered DNF in the first place.

It was a much better LAN game than DOOM II.

Shadow Warrior was awesome BTW.

14. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interview Apr 25, 2011, 14:26 Matshock

Verno wrote on Apr 25, 2011, 14:17:

The point being that Duke is slapping the ass of girls that aren't asking to have their ass slapped, unlike his wife (or so I'd hope.)

The point being that one is a fictional videogame character and the other is a real world scenario.

Quite a difference between those two concepts. People incapable of separating reality from fiction usually have other problems we should be worrying about rather than their social sensitivities. Is it ok for you to slap a random womans ass? No. It is ok for Duke to do it? Yes, just like it's ok for characters in movies and televisions to do things you would never do in the real world.

Ask people who are in prison for doing things like that in real life what their favorite games are. That would be a good study. Oh Wait someone already did:

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/17/killer-nudist-bond-over-video-games-in-prison/

GTA got a mention.

This would be funny if it weren't so sad.

12. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interview Apr 25, 2011, 14:20 Matshock

StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 25, 2011, 14:04:
Matshock wrote on Apr 25, 2011, 12:57:
Back off the woman beating, it's not cool. It wasn't cool in the GTA series either- it's a stain on this industry.

A slap on the ass is "woman beating?" Damn, I guess I abuse my wife on a daily basis then, and oddly she enjoys it.

In any case the large amount of people using this game to try and feel superior to others is amusing. Stand tall you moral beacons, show us the right path.

Money talks and BS walks, to date:

1. Cancelled a preorder for DNF a couple weeks ago.

2. DID NOT BUY COD MW2 or BO

3. DID NOT BUY GTA 2, 3, 4, ever again

etc., etc...

Like mentioned, shock jock crap is a cheap substitue for gameplay. If that's the way things are going to be then I need a new hobby.

1. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Interview Apr 25, 2011, 12:57 Matshock

Hey Randy- do you remember that game some racist a$$hole made where the player runs around shooting blacks that make ape sounds when they die?

That's OK by you? And don't play the "well, THAT'S NOT art" card either, because who are you to decide what that is?

Back off the woman beating, it's not cool. It wasn't cool in the GTA series either- it's a stain on this industry.

Be a stand up guy- draw your own lines and stay on the right side.

News Comments > Over a Million Man-Hours of DNF Development
9. Re: Over a Million Man-Hours of DNF Development Apr 21, 2011, 11:36 Matshock

I cancelled a preorder for DNF- the more I see the more it looks like a string of gimmicks to get a busted property OTD.

I'll try the demo when it comes out and maybe change my mind.

News Comments > One Potato, Two Potato...
35. Re: One Potato, Two Potato... Apr 18, 2011, 12:55 Matshock

descender wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 12:40:
I never said "if you actually believed Valve, you're an idiot."... what I said was if you believed you were going to effect the release date of something by days with no confirmation from Valve themselves, you are a fool.

No, "you" would be a sucker or a mark and that would make Valve...

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Preorders Begin
13. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Preorders Begin Oct 2, 2009, 15:54 Matshock

Wing Commander 2

Ultima 7 P2 SI

Baldur's Gate 2

All great games...just saying...

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Gun Propaganda Jun 4, 2008, 00:01 Matshock

...can't let this one slide- some of those guns Bloomberg is destroying in NYC likely came from federal crimes he ordered his police officers to commit across state lines.

http://www.nysun.com/new-york/bloomberg-city-stall-on-releasing-evidence/38669/

If you want an example of good gun policy don't look to NYC.

330 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo