Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shane Nyberg

Real Name Shane Nyberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Matshock
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 4, 2008, 03:51
Total Comments 330 (Amateur)
User ID 50185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > BF2143 Hinted?
25. Re: BF2143 Hinted? Dec 19, 2011, 14:18 Matshock

007Bistromath wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 13:39:
...and I'll buy it in any case.

That tells me everything I need to know about your opinions.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > BF2143 Hinted?
18. Re: BF2143 Hinted? Dec 19, 2011, 13:10 Matshock

BF2142 had pretty rigid teamplay mechanics that most people didn't seem to get.

It certainly won't work without easy in-game squad VOIP.

Plus the maps sucked.

I'm skeptical...

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Goes Back to Karkand
37. Re: Battlefield 3 Goes Back to Karkand Dec 13, 2011, 23:12 Matshock

No Arabic-speaking faction. What a cop-out. Has DICE been so neutered in just 6 years?

Other than that, this is the best USD $48 gaming dollars I've spent all year.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Goes Back to Karkand
20. Re: Battlefield 3 Goes Back to Karkand Dec 13, 2011, 12:42 Matshock

Gah! Authentication servers are down. Just like the fist days of Steam...

But once it's updated- DIRKA DIRKA!

News Comments > Argh, No Half-Life 3 ARG
19. Re: Argh, No Half-Life 3 ARG Dec 13, 2011, 01:28 Matshock

Dev wrote on Dec 13, 2011, 01:07:

"Even shorter than episodic". Ouch. So all Valve games from now on will be tablet/smart phone titles?

I can't blame them- when folks are rolling in cash with Angry Birds why produce AAA, big-budget titles anymore?

As for the no management direction thing I can see where they're going. Gaming has lost much of its charm as it went mainstream- pretty much everything we play now was mapped out by small dev teams in the 90's. Genuinely new ideas are pretty few and far between and revolutionary titles are non-existent.

News Comments > Half-Life 3 ARG?
40. Re: Half-Life 3 ARG? Dec 12, 2011, 18:40 Matshock

Tanto Edge wrote on Dec 12, 2011, 18:17:
I remember when episodic gameplay was all the rage...
Now it just causes rage.

Yeah that didn't last long did it?

Well, if history is any indication we'll see one or two memorable PC exclusives between now and the XBOX 720 (like Beyond Good & Evil, Half Life 2) that will later be ported to consoles then we'll be living off of console ports again. At least I haven't paid $150.00 for a 250 GB HD.

32. Re: Half-Life 3 ARG? Dec 12, 2011, 15:24 Matshock

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 12, 2011, 15:02:
Yes, the Portal 2 early release was a farce...

Yes it was- it was being released for XBOX at midnight Gamestop sales while it was being unlocked on PC. There was no early release- the ARG ended in fraud.

There was also an official promo advertising fast action sequences that never made it into the game.

I'm criticizing Valve's marketing choices moreso than their technical merit- after all they certainly could have made the PC version more PC-centered and it would not have been a technical problem for them.

13. Re: Half-Life 3 ARG? Dec 12, 2011, 11:56 Matshock

The PC Portal 2 ARG was the biggest waste of spacetime/money I've ever been suckered into. They didn't even execute it correctly as there were potatoes left over when the game was released.

I won't be actively taking part in another Valve ARG.

They want to throw out some hints that's fine.

Now onto the game:

I hate to dredge it up; but as good as Portal 2 was it was only half as good as it could have been because it was consolized. Tiny map slices and no demands made on mouse/keyboard users took much of the excitement out of the gameplay.

If HL3 has these problems even I will consider PC gaming dead. I'll just take up Eagle Dynamics flight sims- finally having time for them since there won't be anything else to play.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Patch This Week
34. Re: Battlefield 3 Patch This Week Dec 5, 2011, 14:00 Matshock

Verno wrote on Dec 5, 2011, 13:42:
Matshock wrote on Dec 5, 2011, 13:29:
I'm someone who despises MMOs and other "play a 100 hours or you're not allowed to be good" games- I have to admit BF3 is somewhere in the middle. After a little less than 20 hours in I have the SCAR H with some goodies, enough goodies for the M249 to make it work and the mortar for points grinding. I broke 2000 points a round instantly after getting the mortar.

Most mechanics-changing unlocks come pretty early compared to past BF games and especially compared to MMOs and the like.

They're going to nerf the silly ones in this patch so there will be even less to complain about.

We're talking about two different things here. You're talking about acquiring unlocks, I'm talking about their relative measure versus others. It is totally possible to acquire unlocks but grinding out points isn't the goal of the game, the goal of the game is to win and the current unlock system (even without the silly attachments) creates an inherent imbalance without even taking skill sets and other variables into account.

A good team using voicecomms without advanced unlocks is still a potent force but putting them up against an equally skilled team with better unlocks (AGM, CITV, etc) I'd guess that the former rarely wins. Does make the game unplayable? No but it can certainly make for a frustrating affair if you play outside of clans regularly.

I think they could have easily made some design concessions to keep things a bit more level. For example, why does everyone have to unlock each attachment separately for every gun? Why does an LMG get a suppressor? Some of the vehicle unlocks are head scratchers as well.

Don't me wrong, I like BF3. At it's core there is a good game in there but it's a bit of a mess right now and I think they aren't doing new players to the franchise any favors.

Agreed- but where my post intersected with your idea is this: it won't take very long before nearly everyone playing has all the important unlocks that they want.

I.E. I don't want the AGM because after cutting my teeth in WWII sims and moving on to Falcon 4 flying a go-plane in BF3 is boring and frustrating.

If you want to pick at specific unlocks as being problems there's stil some headroom for that sure.

I am curious to see what kind of game BF3 becomes once everyone has their mid-level unlocks. Things will get much harder for the point whores in the near future I bet.
c

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Patch This Week
32. Re: Battlefield 3 Patch This Week Dec 5, 2011, 13:29 Matshock

Verno wrote on Dec 5, 2011, 09:04:
As for the previous comment "There's plenty of excellent FPSs out there that are way better than Battlefield and CoD." Don't confuse YOUR OPINION of games with a definitive 'better' or 'worse'.

Parroting this in every post you make never gets old, really we never tire of hearing it Rolleyes Uh oh, I said we!

As for unlocks, they're fine when they're balanced but BF3 has very poorly balanced unlocks overall that create a real disparity between those with and without.

I'm someone who despises MMOs and other "play a 100 hours or you're not allowed to be good" games- I have to admit BF3 is somewhere in the middle. After a little less than 20 hours in I have the SCAR H with some goodies, enough goodies for the M249 to make it work and the mortar for points grinding. I broke 2000 points a round instantly after getting the mortar.

Most mechanics-changing unlocks come pretty early compared to past BF games and especially compared to MMOs and the like.

They're going to nerf the silly ones in this patch so there will be even less to complain about.

News Comments > Half-Life 3 Trolling?
21. Re: Half-Life 3 Trolling? Dec 2, 2011, 13:37 Matshock

descender wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 13:09:
Actually what that loading screen shows is 2 things, neither of which are what you accused it of being.

First you have a developer designing a game to work on a console and deal with it's memory limitations.

Second you have Valve, primarily a PC developer, not accustomed to having to deal with console memory limitations making a poor design choice in how that section of the game needed to be split up.

It's certainly no indication of a limitation of the source engine.

It's a defacto limitation- so you think HL3 will be designed for PCs?

We might get lucky if it's designed as an XBOX 720 flagship title.

News Comments > Half-Life 3 Trolling?
11. Re: Half-Life 3 Trolling? Dec 2, 2011, 12:56 Matshock

Tavil wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 11:13:
Techie714 wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 11:07:
Better have a new engine on par with BF3 or Crysis!

I doubt it, Valve has said they are going to push the Source engine as far as they can before making a full new engine. I think that is a good thing as well, its nice having a developer push an engine this long, unlike every other dev that seems they have to make a brand new engine every year. Source is still great, especially for people without top of the line computers.

Unless there are loads of awesome new gameplay mechanics I may actually pass then.

Portal 2 was a showcase of Source's memory address limitations. It had a loading screen in the middle of an action sequence.

HL2 had plenty of high-end DX9 features when it was released BTW- it was also backwards-compatible with slower systems.

News Comments > BF3 Back to Karkand Release Dates
7. Re: BF3 Back to Karkand Release Dates Dec 2, 2011, 11:33 Matshock

I pre-ordered so I'll be happy to play Karkand while waiting for them to improve the other maps.

Some balance fixes on the unlocks have been blogged about by DICE- flashlight and IRNV nerfs are on deck. I haven't heard anything about frag rounds or guided tank rounds yet though.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Gulf of Oman Trailer
25. Re: Battlefield 3 Gulf of Oman Trailer Nov 28, 2011, 14:10 Matshock

Joss wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 13:46:
I really miss flying anything in the new BF3. Since there is no joystick sensitivity controls, I'm stuck ground-pounding. I cannot understand, for the life of me, why they would omit that(?)

I bet a X360 controller would work perfectly

16. Re: Battlefield 3 Gulf of Oman Trailer Nov 28, 2011, 12:42 Matshock

Verno wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 11:44:

The flight ceiling is so low that jets are essentially useless.

That applies to all the maps, even Caspian. Playing both sides of the sky it looks like the fast jets only matter to helicopters and each other. All the ground clutter and a lack of targeting methods don't help either.

They used to rule Gulf of Oman. I guess we'll see.

7. Re: Battlefield 3 Gulf of Oman Trailer Nov 28, 2011, 11:39 Matshock

Don't forget Canals. Bazaar & Tehran are OK hybrid maps.

Crossing, Metro and that big tunnel map suck eggs, but they're points grind maps for campers (recon) so people keep them in the rotation.

News Comments > No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
142. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 13:44 Matshock

ASeven wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 13:39:

Good post.

News Comments > No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
140. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 25, 2011, 13:31 Matshock

The vs. 90's thing is an apples-to-oranges comparison. Floppies & hard roms vs. online distribution.

Start by understanding what compartmentalizing distribution does to prices- i.e. Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo certification, Origin/Steam, etc.

What I'm seeing is console certification driving up prices and then publishers using that as an excuse to raise the SRPs for PC titles.

I'm also seeing prices stay higher, longer because digital distribution is eating into the used game market.

I'm worried that as publishers each develop their own DRM/distribution software that competition will be further eroded.

Publishers are learning to act like governments because they perceive that consumers are learning to do the same- rule making, "legitimized" theft, surveillance, etc.

Sucks to be us.

News Comments > Arkham City DirectX 11 Issue
29. Re: Arkham City DirectX 11 Issue Nov 24, 2011, 12:35 Matshock

Beelzebud wrote on Nov 24, 2011, 12:03:
2011: "The Year Gamers Should Have Wised Up To Pre-Release Hype".

List of major releases I passed on over the last year or so:

1. DNF

2. Rage

3. MW anything

4. Skyrim (debatable I know, but I was expecting better combat)

5. Everything Assassin's Creed

I plan on passing on:

Mass Effect 3, DOTA 2, SW:TOR, all things AC, all things MW.

In fact the only thing on my want list is Resident Evil TRC.

News Comments > Arkham City DirectX 11 Issue
4. Re: Arkham City DirectX 11 Issue Nov 23, 2011, 23:03 Matshock

AdamK47 wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 22:41:
It really doesn't take much time or effort to "track down" these DX11 performance issues. I have a 3960X at 4.5GHz with three GTX 580s in SLI and can see the problem right away.

No kidding- I have a single 560 and we're likely getting the same frame rate.

The lighting/tessellation on the villains is impressive though. I'll enjoy it when it gets fixed.

330 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo