Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shane Nyberg

Real Name Shane Nyberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Matshock
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 4, 2008, 03:51
Total Comments 330 (Amateur)
User ID 50185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > THQ Refocuses - Open Letter
14. Re: THQ Refocuses - Open Letter Jan 25, 2012, 11:13 Matshock

InBlack wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 10:05:
Sound familiar? Interplay Part 2....

A poster child for wild, psychopathic capitalism....the guys at the top stay rich and unpunished but the consumers and "former" employees suffer.

We need change.

Wow- what part of that letter describes anything "wild" or "psychopathic" to you?

People are people- people screw up.

BTW if THQ was nationalized in the interest of "economic justice" then they would still have screwed up. The difference is that that a nationalized company would be bailed out using money you're on the hook for. They would also never get better because there are no incentives to.

Then eventually, as this unattributed but popular quote from the late Soviet Union put it, "We pretend to work and they pretend to pay us."

PS if you ever lose your job because you screwed up can we take away all your property in order to punish you?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Julian Gollop on XCOM Remake
10. Re: Julian Gollop on XCOM Remake Jan 20, 2012, 18:16 Matshock

William Usher wrote on Jan 20, 2012, 17:43:
..."wall of text"...

Now watch, one day someone will release a sandbox FPS with no GPS style automap and everyone will complain endlessly about missing features.

Back in Britannia I had a cloth map and a sextant and I didn't need the sextant except in the middle of the ocean.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Parties Like It's 1999
21. Re: BioShock Infinite Parties Like It's 1999 Jan 19, 2012, 17:03 Matshock

Prez wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 16:34:
For the record I actually did mean System Shock 2. It was my favorite game of the 2 by far.

I liked them about equally, OTOH I was playing PC games when SS1 came out so I didn't have SS2 to compare it to at that time. I did prefer SS1's method of finding and using hardware/software upgrades to SS2's upgrade points though.

They both gave me the sci-fi/horror heebie-geebies.

Now they just need to bring back Ultima and my 1990's nostalgia trip will be complete.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Parties Like It's 1999
8. Re: BioShock Infinite Parties Like It's 1999 Jan 19, 2012, 12:46 Matshock

Orogogus wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 11:09:
Prez wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 10:38:
A mode that's an homage to System Shock. I like it!

An homage to System Shock 2. None of the RPG elements, other than an inventory, were part of System Shock 1. Bioshock had a lot more in common with SS1 than with SS2.

As far as spiritual successors go, I thought Bioshock was closer to SS1 than SS2 ended up being. The stats and skills and credits and whatnot made SS2 a lot more like Deus Ex set in the System Shock universe rather than a sequel to the original.

There you go peeing in the snob pool.

Where do I subscribe to your newsletter?

Jacking up the difficulty to 11 is a SS2 mechanic. Once I got to the tunnel between the two ships it dawned on me that not maxing out any part of the skill tree was a baaaaaad idea. I still made it but damn it was hard.

So we've got SS1's simplicity, SS2's difficulty and BS's flare PLUS the promise of long-range action to boot. This one of the few games I'm hopeful for.

It's still a long ways off though.

News Comments > No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin
65. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 17:36 Matshock

Meh. Pass.

As for hard-segmenting distribution, Apple has already done that 10X more than Valve or EA ever will.

I still have to finish Batman: AC and I'm getting back into STALKER COP. I will pick BF3 back up if the next client patch addresses the hacks in a meaningful way. That may be it for me until Resident Evil ORC.

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Development Continues
41. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Development Continues Jan 12, 2012, 16:52 Matshock

PHJF wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 16:24:
I was ranking them in order in which I prefer them...

+1

In a time when CS was a welcome fix between SOC and COP it was worth playing- now, not so much.

If it were me I'd play SOC for the best ending (it's a cryptic path to get there so I would consult a walkthrough), then read a synopsis of the plot of CS then play COP with no walkthrough.

This is an awesome, awesome series- I sure hope S2 makes it out in style.

(COP) I still remember crawling out of a radioactive hell into Pripyat for the first time, shaken, near death only expecting to meet an even worse death in that horrible place. I haven't been that nervous playing a game since the original System Shock when I was 13.

36. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Development Continues Jan 12, 2012, 13:42 Matshock

Quick rundown on COP Complete as requested:

1. FOR DX-10/11 render options make sure you go into advanced options as set SUN to high and all your DX-10/11 stuff to high or the game will crash when you try to start playing.

Good: "Complete Pack" works as advertised; not going to repeat their bullet points for them.

Bad: Still has bad multi-core support so 1-2 second pauses on large maps are still common. They are pauses though, so the action won't keep going while you're lagged.

11. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Development Continues Jan 12, 2012, 01:15 Matshock

I found my COP disk and I'm installing now.

I have COP Complete D/Ling...this is gonna be good!

It looks like a good time to give BF3 a break anyhow.

The Zone is calling...

8. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Development Continues Jan 12, 2012, 00:23 Matshock

I love S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s weird ass exaggerated bullet physics.

I love the atmosphere and tension too.

Great series!

News Comments > BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up
11. Re: BF3 Anti-Cheat Ramps Up Jan 12, 2012, 00:21 Matshock

Nate wrote on Jan 11, 2012, 21:36:
What's described in the blog does very little to address the scope of the problem.

I don't even bother trying public clan servers anymore- they're points mills and any non-clan players are the meat.

It isn't even the aimbots- there are multiple instant spot/view hacks in play right now.

BF may have finally fallen victim to it's own popularity.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Jan 11, 2012, 11:15 Matshock

DRM= private persons defending private property= OK

SOPA= .gov boots and guns chasing electrons= I will sign off of the internet if that crap is signed into law.

It's OK either way though, I seriously doubt the welfare/warfare/police state we've cobble together through special interest payoffs over the last 50 years is going to survive to 2016 anyway.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Prerelease Demo Plans
4. Re: Mass Effect 3 Prerelease Demo Plans Jan 10, 2012, 13:03 Matshock

Meh. Pass.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines CE Outed
13. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines CE Outed Jan 9, 2012, 13:00 Matshock

Mad Max RW wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 09:57:
Sega was the kiss of death to this franchise. Gearbox just put the final nail in the coffin.

Yep, I know the first gameplay trailer was alpha at best but it looked like the DNF engine.

Being fair, the movie franchise couldn't decide if the Aliens were a coordinated mob force or individual super-killers and the last entry was a pretty generic monster/sci-fi/action flick- so the games have to follow that messy formula.

I liked Cameron's coordinated mob aliens better- that would make an awesome gameplay scenario but require some real complex AI development and co-op formula, neither of which Gearbox has done to date.

News Comments > True X-COM Sequel: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Revealed
16. Re: True X-COM Sequel: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Revealed Jan 5, 2012, 12:47 Matshock

X-COM was pretty simple/tactical- not tons of menus to race through at a break-neck pace. It should be fine even with a little consolitis.

PS I'd say "ooooo....destructible environments" but X-COM already had destructible environments

The one thing X-COM needs is environmentals- fog, smoke, debris, etc. and integrate them into the gameplay.

And they need to keep the suspense/tension of the original and I'll be happy.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Bans Follow-up
39. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Bans Follow-up Jan 3, 2012, 15:56 Matshock

Warskull wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 15:14:
WyldKat wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 14:30:
EDIT: Disregard, apparently according to Bioware via Reddit, low-level farming of Ilum is okay.

Unless they decide it isn't. They said if a lowbie goes and opens a chest he won't be banned, but if you repeatedly "exploit" the resources you will be.

That is even worse, if you cross some moving, arbitrary invisible line, they can temp ban you. Basically, you can open chests and you only get banned if they feel like banning you.

Just fix the mechanic, it is so easy. Level limits on the chests, area, scaling the loot to level, ect.

This is the worst of the culture that infests MMOs. If you don't play the way people think you should, you are cheating and should be banned. It is like people who try to put arbitrary "no spawn camping" rules in games. Either the supposed spawn camping isn't a problem or the map is crap and no one should play it.

Yep, devs now acting more like governments than entertainers...good luck with that BW.

The next step is to make buying their products mandatory. How about instead of subscription fees they just lobby for a "digital stimulus" tax on the internet? Just sneak it into something like SOPA- no one will notice.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Bans Follow-up
25. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Bans Follow-up Jan 3, 2012, 13:29 Matshock

Add this to my list of reasons not to get into MMOs.

The gold farming bans I understand, but "sneaking" into a "high-level" area to loot items put in place by the devs? That's a decades-old RPG mechanic. I did that in Phantasy Star I.

Thankfully PSI didn't have power-stupid online mods.

This comment was edited on Jan 3, 2012, 13:45.

News Comments > BF3 Famas Rifle Changes Planned
17. Re: BF3 Famas Rifle Changes Planned Dec 28, 2011, 14:01 Matshock

Seriously though, the pilot/gunner hear a lock tone when you've got a SAM locked on them- they don't get an actual launch warning.

Just wait for them to pop flares, wait a second or two depending on how fast they're moving then fire.

12. Re: BF3 Famas Rifle Changes Planned Dec 28, 2011, 12:51 Matshock

A man never fires his stinger before the chopper fires her flares.

I understand, I understand, it's exciting but you just need to think about your K/D ratio or something until the time is right.

5. Re: BF3 Famas Rifle Changes Planned Dec 28, 2011, 11:19 Matshock

Choppers- meh. Some of the really good pilots are tearing it up but you could say the same of any class/vehicle.

Most of the time they get shot at from every direction and downed quickly. And if there's a AAA vehicle forget about it.

There's a new aimbot making the rounds this last weekend, how about a PB update?

News Comments > BF2143 Hinted?
45. Re: BF2143 Hinted? Dec 19, 2011, 23:17 Matshock

[VG]Reagle wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 21:15:
They really need to do BF1043. Now that would ROCK!

With motion controls that would be epic.

Long spears and compound bows FTW.

330 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo