Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shane Nyberg

Real Name Shane Nyberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Matshock
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 4, 2008, 03:51
Total Comments 330 (Amateur)
User ID 50185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Previews
6. Re: Morning Previews Sep 24, 2012, 12:42 Matshock

Nearly 6GB for a demo. I think I can wait two more weeks. After the Portal 2 spoilers I go on a self-imposed media blackout a good month ahead of release anyway.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On PlanetSide 2's Business Model
11. Re: On PlanetSide 2's Business Model Sep 22, 2012, 01:46 Matshock

I put $40.00 total into Tribes Ascend, but enjoyed as much as any other game I spent that much money on.

It sounds like they're not going to sell certs. That being the case, the only thing you can buy that helps you win is the points booster and that so far is capped at 10%.

The P2 Beta seems a bit bland so far- I need to figure out how to use the VOIP comms better and the game certainly needs a lot of work.

The map design is masterful though- at least on the ground. The air game has a very low view distance and a very low altitude ceiling.

What P2 is going to need most are commanders- RTS style players directing the fighting. It sounds like they are moving in that direction but it's not real clear what the final solution is going to be right now.

3 months to go from now anyhow and I doubt the BETA is the sum total of development.

Waiting to see more...

News Comments > Game Reviews
12. Re: Game Reviews Sep 20, 2012, 16:56 Matshock

I finished it last night. It's a great mod- I 'll leave it at that.  

News Comments > Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report
32. Re: Half-Life 3 A Shooter; Not Due Next Year: Shocking Report Sep 20, 2012, 15:05 Matshock

Jerykk wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 12:29:
An open-world HL3 could be interesting. I imagine you'd need to liberate different areas from the Combine, growing the resistance in the process until you amass a large enough army to take the fight to the Combine homeworld.

Giants: Citizen Kabuto is one of my all time favs.

That would be a lot to work into the story though now that they've added the Aperture Science angle. I guess they could still take the story in any direction though.

I just want combat with portal guns more than anything else.

News Comments > etc., etc.
10. Re: etc., etc. Sep 20, 2012, 10:52 Matshock

Prez wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 02:53:
I got it.

Anyway, I am a little surprised to see the special forces guys being so nonchalant about breaking their secrecy mandate - the Seals I worked with in the USN were majorly professional and by-the-book.

Attitude comes from the top down.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Sep 19, 2012, 12:36 Matshock

I'm about 85% through Black Mesa- if it weren't free I'd be complaining about crash bugs in the later maps.

I had to shoot down the helicopter 4 times before I got through without a crash and I took a break last night when I bombed the berkerker and the game crashed.

But overall it's a pretty enjoyable remake. They better grab Charlie Sheen for the movie before he goes on another bender.

EDIT: I forgot that the monster in Blast Pit was essentially nonfunctional according to the standards of the original.

Maybe other folks will come along and help patch it up to the master homage this deserves to be.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 2012, 12:53.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
34. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 17, 2012, 16:06 Matshock

Prez wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 15:41:
Verno wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 11:45:
Valve has usually said that the Steam list is ordered by raw revenue, I assume its just whatever is passing through the payment processor.

That's interesting if true, because it means a game like FTL would have to sell 5 times as many units to beat a $50 game like XCOM.

That's been Gabe's contention all along- good, relatively inexpensive games outsell good expensive ones. That's in-line with microeconomics .

I think he's partially right- on the other hand the "shelf life" of an expensive AAA title may be a bit longer- i.e. when everyone has moved on from FTL people will still be buying XCOM at progressively lower price points.

PS micro was the only economics course I took that didn't turn out to be horseshit- almost everything I was taught in macro and banking has been thrown on its ear over the last several years. Good old price-demand curves still seem to work though.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
22. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 17, 2012, 12:53 Matshock

Verno wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 11:45:
Valve has usually said that the Steam list is ordered by raw revenue, I assume its just whatever is passing through the payment processor.

That makes sense- I think the live bestseller list on Steam is using a rolling last 24 hours or less time frame as opposed to this weekly summary.

XCOM is already chewing into pre-order bonus #3- complementary Civ 5. It's not even release week yet so I'm hopeful.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
7. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 16, 2012, 15:31 Matshock

This is why I'm still on DSL- the top speed sucks but there's no cap and my ping is good 24/7.

I can still watch HD on my Roku, or download a game overnight- just not both at the same time.

Thanks to our bought-and-paid-for City Council of Las Vegas there is only 1 cable company (COX), 1 phone company (Centurylink), satellite and a WAN company called Clear.

Clear would be kind of cool because you can take your connection anywhere with you in town- even in the car, but their top possible speed is only 6 Mb/s.

News Comments > Black Mesa Released
80. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 15, 2012, 02:10 Matshock

Sepharo wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 02:08:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 01:43:
Morning Mr. Freeman - Barney has been kinda scarce around these parts.....guess his bar tab caught up with him.....

Those TPS reports have gotten progressvily worse....hard to find good help these days

ugh...another improper use of the Boltsman Constant

Did you find the guy who does 30 variations of "You better make like a..." ?
Also the guy in bathroom stall cracked me up:
"Occupied!"
+use again
"*ahem* Ocupado."

Did you throw the guy some TP?

News Comments > Black Mesa Released
79. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 15, 2012, 02:09 Matshock

If Valve had hired these guys they could have sold a slightly more polished version of BMS for $15 and turned a tidy profit I'd bet.

I'm happy to have it as is for free though. Thanks BMS team!

News Comments > Metro 2033 Film Plans
3. Re: Metro 2033 Film Plans Sep 14, 2012, 11:11 Matshock

They need the Director from Stake Land, Jim Mickle- that might save this one.  

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
13. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Sep 13, 2012, 14:42 Matshock

Oh yeah, I got it wrong- I see back in Dec '11 they were even 195mb. I just never noticed how big drivers had gotten until now.

People can make mistakes with no conspiracy needed nin. Often times they might even really believe they are right when they do so. But in the end the facts and figures speak for themselves, don't they?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2012, 13:34 Matshock

There's already a plan for eliminating mosquitoes from the planet- the greens are crying about the food chain so we haven't done it.

It's going to get harder and harder to convince people to not do it as West Nile spreads unless they come up with a vaccine.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 13, 2012, 10:58 Matshock

Nobody is going to set up a 4-player game of Mario Party for $600. Can you use Wii remotes too?  

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
1. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Sep 13, 2012, 10:56 Matshock

I can see the DL size nearly doubled. What is so different about Windows 8 drivers?  

News Comments > Steam Beta Allows Custom Installation Locations
13. Re: Steam Beta Allows Custom Installation Locations Sep 12, 2012, 14:49 Matshock

What was funny was buying that last D&D action game on disc then finding that all it did was connect to Steam and start a dowload. The disc itself had no installation files on it!  

News Comments > BIS Arrests Follow-up
6. Re: BIS Arrests Follow-up Sep 12, 2012, 14:42 Matshock

Meh, they should mellow out now- Germany just green-lighted the endless printing of Euros.

...and with that ol' helicopter Ben should be cranking out some more Benjamins hot off the silicon soon.

If I were a Chinese person I would be royally pissed beyond consolation at this point.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2012, 12:57 Matshock

Mucinex is my friend. I also said damn the consequences late last year and now I take an allergy pill every night- I went from 5 colds in winter of 2010-11 to 1 in 11-12 (kids in school).

It might be coincidence- 10-11 was my daughter's first winter in school but I'll feel a lot better if I make it through this one with one or no colds.

News Comments > Steam Beta Allows Custom Installation Locations
6. Re: Steam Beta Allows Custom Installation Locations Sep 12, 2012, 12:48 Matshock

eunichron wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 12:24:
FINALLY.

It only took 8 years. What's the rush?

I went with the Seagate Momentous instead of a SSD this time around but SSD will be a must have in a few years.

For now, I'm almost always the 2nd person to load a new map in Tribes Ascend- right after the guy with the SSD.

330 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo