Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shane Nyberg

Real Name Shane Nyberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Matshock
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 4, 2008, 03:51
Total Comments 330 (Amateur)
User ID 50185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Diablo III
95. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 15:05 Matshock

Overon wrote on May 15, 2012, 14:51:
Look, it is simply not acceptable, from my consumer perspective, to decide to implement a login system and persisent internet connection that negatively impacts MY ACCESS to a game that I paid for in single player play.

But this is a dead horse and it's done.

Meh, 3 hours of downtime in the middle of day 1 isn't the worst thing in the world. It could get worse though, we'll see.

I'm old enough to remember having to manually configure my PC's memory just to get new releases to run- and don't even get me started on having to download a patch (in the few cases there was one) via a long distance modem call.

My only complaint so far is that I'm forced to play "Normal" mode first- which is way too easy.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Tribes Ascend Patched
8. Re: Tribes Ascend Patched May 9, 2012, 23:18 Matshock

For shrikes- try the assault rifle. I can tie one up all by myself and if they stay to play they may very well lose to a lowly soldier.  

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Delayed
23. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 13:28 Matshock

Darks wrote on May 9, 2012, 13:21:
Specific tweaks and improvements donít usually amount to it taking another year. Thereís more here going on than meets the eye.

Another buyout attempt? Activision/2K

News Comments > Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City Preorders; Specs
4. Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City Preorders; Specs May 5, 2012, 00:03 Matshock

Yep, I was looking forward to RE:ORC, too bad. OTOH if Capcom releases a PC game that seems doomed to fail then maybe Dragon's Dogma will be both good and also released for PC.

...or maybe the pay-to-win game critics sunk RE:ORC and it will turn out to be good anyway. I'll keep tabs on it just in case.

News Comments > Game Reviews
8. Re: Game Reviews Apr 27, 2012, 18:22 Matshock

Orogogus wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 18:13:
That, uh, doesn't read like marketing BS to me at all. When you read a changelog you want details like that instead of just "Nerfed Plasma Rifle".

They used the word "buffed" in the last changelog...and they felt the need to mention specifically that there was no change to damage or rof- so now they have a really incomplete "not changed log".

6. Re: Game Reviews Apr 27, 2012, 16:45 Matshock

JaguarUSF wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 15:38:
Matshock wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 21:34:
The TRIBES forums group pretty much proved that as of 1.0.941.0 the Plasma Rifle is way OP

It is waaaaaaay OP.

Well, it's official, they "Reduced the collision size of Raiderís Plasma Gun projectile by roughly 40%. The weaponís damage and rate of fire remain the same.".

That, run through a marketing BS filter means they nerfed it.

It needed nerfing- but once again, it's better than the stock weapon for the raider so it's still a step up.

Personally, this doesn't bother me that much- balance makes the game more fun than being on the winning side of pay to win.

Now if they'd just make the Phase Rifle not suck...

3. Re: Game Reviews Apr 26, 2012, 21:34 Matshock

Quboid wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 20:45:
They nerf guns after people have paid real money for them?

Just my opinion for now. The TRIBES forums group pretty much proved that as of 1.0.941.0 the Plasma Rifle is way OP, so that's fact and if Hi Rez "fixes" it then yes, it will be a fact that they nerf purchased weapons.

I started out on day 2 of the official release with the technician/ thumper- the thumper had a huge blast radius that seems to me to be much smaller now.

Now the good news-

The very high cost unlockable weapons are still better than the starter weapons in almost all cases, even after being nerfed.

Aside, TRIBES Ascend is still a great game- warts and all. I ponied up some $ to support a game I wouldn't mind playing for a year or more.

Even this week I give myself a little pat on the back every time I serve up a Blue Plate Special to a Plasma Gun having little shit that basecamps the whole round. You know who you are.

EDIT: They also buff purchased weapons where appropriate- this is a fact documented by Hi Rez

This comment was edited on Apr 26, 2012, 21:40.

1. Re: Game Reviews Apr 26, 2012, 16:14 Matshock

Tribes Update:

Combat is actually challenging now. The COD generation got the idea. I'm still pulling in ~3000xp per match once I stepped up my game to meet the new standards.

This is good and bad- good for those already in the game and bad for those who are trying to learn it. Hi Rez would do well to set some noob servers for each region- maybe assign everyone under rank 4 to them...

I'm not going to complain about weapon balance- IMO Hi Rez has been quietly nerfing OP weapons (by quietly I mean doing it and not documenting it in release notes- i.e. my Thumper's splash radius is way under it's graphic size now) and as soon as the sales for a certain new weapon stops making them $ they'll nerf it too. Sucks for those of us that invested big gold in a favorite weapon, but probably better for the game as a whole.

News Comments > Valve on Half-Life 3 Ricochet 2
48. Re: Valve on <strike>Half-Life 3</strike> Ricochet 2 Apr 23, 2012, 15:15 Matshock

Too many replies to quote, I'll just sum up:

1. HL absolutely set an expectation of a sequel- it's called the ending of Episode 2. There is an expectation of a product and no good proof it exists in anywhere near a marketable condition after many years. Now I said HL3 is HEADING for DNF territory and as someone else mentioned there's a couple years left before we cross over into unprecedented delay territory. EP3 is vaporware and the comparison stands in that case.

2. I consider HL to be in a way higher class than COD. Similarly, if Crysis & Syndicate are considered direct competitors then HL is screwed anyway.

3. I don't see TRIBES on Steam or Origin- DRM is apparently no longer the very tall wall it used to be.

Rest on your laurels then burn...

EDITED OUT THE WORD "don't" in item 2- apologies if I set anyone off...

News Comments > Valve on Half-Life 3 Ricochet 2
33. Re: Valve on <strike>Half-Life 3</strike> Ricochet 2 Apr 23, 2012, 13:59 Matshock

Frags4Fun wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 13:35:

Be patient? Seriously? It's been like 8 freakin years. The time for patience is over. Valve come die for all I care. Like someone else said, in another thread, we'll all be in retirement homes by the time another Half-Life comes out.

Yep, a few years ago I would not have entertained much criticism of Valve.

But "HL3" is heading towards DNF territory. Episode 3 is already in DNF territory.

Valve needs to remember they don't release games in a vacuum- whatever features/mechanics they innovate for their next game their competitors are fast on their heels. If they're too long in getting to market then all the great ideas they've had will have already been played out by others.

Heck, if they just made a game that combines the frantic co-op of L4D, puzzle elements from HL, story from HL and a Portal gun I'd call that a 11/10 on release day.

Imagine tossing a grenade through a portal to take out a horde of head crab zombies. Or launching a guided rocket through a portal in the ceiling of a burned out stadium to attack a gunship...

News Comments > Splash Damage's Free-to-Play Plans
7. Re: Splash Damage's Free-to-Play Plans Apr 19, 2012, 14:00 Matshock

space captain wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 12:13:
free to play is a smart move vs piracy, because each F2P gane requires a DRM launcher/updater to constantly change shit... also its free so you dont have to pirate it to play.. its like enticing people to pay money rather than forcing them to

also, its a taste of that WoW style cash flow, i.e. constant money transactions on an ongoing basis rather than just one shot

its gonna be like the MMORPG boom of the mid 2000s, everybody thinks that F2P is the "wave of the future"

One other thing F2P has going for it is that there are no install limits- which was a major gripe about DRM here and elsewhere.

Updaters/launchers are just incidental to the real anti-piracy measure: all of your unlocks/stuff permissions are stored on their servers, not your local machine.

For single player games, it's just a matter of storing your save games remotely and it's the same effect.

F2P is indeed just a buzz term but there's some real changes behind it.

4. Re: Game Reviews Apr 19, 2012, 12:55 Matshock

Last night was a whole new game- folks are timing their shots, hitting more, capping more, placing more packs (turrets, shields, etc.) and generally playing correctly.

I'm still pulling 3k+ XP per match, but I'm dying a lot more.

The number of variations in the classes is noteworthy- we had a guy pick up a flag in a heavy suit and almost make it back to his base- he got a lead on us and when we caught up with him the knock-back you normally see on light suits did nothing to slow him down. It was like trying to stop a semi-truck with a bicycle. Very cool but he did eventually fall from damage. With some more help he would have made it.

1. Re: Game Reviews Apr 18, 2012, 13:00 Matshock

TRIBES:

I'm starting to see a few more savvy players now- though most are still flailing about desperately.

I got into a huge open-field fight last night, it was awesome- at least 10 players on each side in one big brawl, no lag!

Lastly, I'm 99% sure they're going to nerf the Thumper so I better milk that for XP over the next couple of weeks. I want a gold refund if they do!

4. Re: Game Reviews Apr 17, 2012, 13:01 Matshock

9/10- no VOIP

News Comments > Tribes Ascend: Launches
70. Re: Tribes Ascend: Launches Apr 16, 2012, 11:43 Matshock

I was a Tribes 1 player and watching the COD generation learn how to play Tribes Ascend is fun for me. I expect them to figure it out sooner rather than later, don't mistake my comment for a put-down.

But now instead of scrolling and shooting as fast as possible, they've got to deal with challenges normally reserved for flight sims- wide open terrain, energy limits in z-axis maneuvering and most importantly target lead.

In short they keep aiming right at me in flight and missing.

It's a pretty fun game right now- when more people figure out how to play it it will be a blast.

If it gets VOIP it will be the best EVAR1

Here's a longer thought:

$29.99 in my case was enough to unlock the better primary weapons and a couple of worthwhile perks for three classes- soldier, whatever they call the sniper and the technician. Basically, I picked just the three classes that match my preferred gameplay style then picked the most expensive stuff for just them. I didn't bother to unlock the classes that don't interest me the most- maybe later. After that and with the xp booster I'm pulling about 3000 XP per match with no points-farming crap.

I think that most people would do better that way- specialization vs. just getting all the classes unlocked. Once you get a few very effective (or even one if you don't mind the lack of variety) classes+ the XP booster you can starting scoring enough XP to unlock the others.

News Comments > Valve Confirms Hardware Plans
75. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 19:45 Matshock

elefunk wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 19:03:
It's amazing how narrow-minded people are about these things. Console? Cheap Steam PC? Really? That's all you can think of?

Broaden your minds, folks. Valve is planning something much more ambitious.

http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/abrash/

That's it then- Gabe is going to invent "The Matrix". Only this time when he's says it's almost done the truth will be that you're already inside it.

News Comments > Valve Confirms Hardware Plans
31. Re: Valve Confirms Hardware Plans Apr 13, 2012, 12:58 Matshock

Big +1 on not a console.

No idea otherwise...

News Comments > Tribes Ascend: Launches
14. Re: Tribes Ascend: Launches Apr 12, 2012, 16:16 Matshock

No Demo? We hate it.

DRM? We hate it.

Costs money? We hate it.

Play for free? OK!

Oh wait, other people get to invest money and enjoy the game more? We hate it.

More than a few PC gamers are their own worst enemies.

At this rate of support SSD-cached photo-real megatextures ought to get implemented oh around 2030- for the XBOX 1440. With a healthy community they could be a reality in few years...

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 5, 2012, 12:03 Matshock

They have to control it before they can tax it- this goes all the way back to George Washington and the Wiskey Rebellion.

The good news is that the BOR explicitly protects free speech. I'd suggest that eCommerce people form an NRA-style lobby ASAP if they haven't done so already.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer
10. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Trailer Mar 6, 2012, 11:13 Matshock

Pretty cool- I still want to see environmentals leveraged though (smoke, debris).

/rant on
Them solders need to get their foukin hemets on! They look like a bunch of Elvis. Little ms. my little ponytail...is gonna get that thing grabbed and slammed headfirst into a wall.
/rant off

330 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo