Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shane Nyberg

Real Name Shane Nyberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Matshock
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 4, 2008, 03:51
Total Comments 330 (Amateur)
User ID 50185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 21, 2012, 15:42 Matshock

Yep, we don't screw around with the sun in Las Vegas. My only south-facing window is under my front porch ceiling and the roof is oriented E-W. The garage gets smoking hot but it's well insulated.

I'm a big believer in efficiency and conservation- the angry gaia spirit can blow hurricanes out of its ass. I'd use up more resources scrapping my old Hyundai 4-cyl and buying a Prius than just up keeping the Hyundai.

As for the prof- he's in for a nice payday if he wants one. Public universities can't even discriminate against felons so "not liking crazy talk" isn't going to cut it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Trailer
16. Re: PlanetSide 2 Trailer Jun 20, 2012, 15:19 Matshock

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 15:08:
As long as the cash items are restricted to cosmetic items and there isn't anything else that imbalances the game I'm looking forward to this. It reminds of what I loved about Tribes 2. I wanted to like Tribes: Ascend but the XP grind bullshit turned me right off it and because it downplayed vehicles - as you needed to earned credits to unlock them - it just didn't have the team element and epic scale that I loved about the franchise.

This looks like Tribes done right and F2P without all the bullshit baggage that ruins the vast majority of F2P games (the new MechWarrior Online is a perfect example of how to do F2P badly).

T:A makes sure that only useful people and killers get vehicles

Agreed though- the 32 player cap takes away from the game. T2 never really got there either- 64 player games had horrible lag spikes.

14. Re: PlanetSide 2 Trailer Jun 20, 2012, 15:08 Matshock

I signed up for the beta- I used a concocted UN/PW though that has nothing in common with my usual stuff.

If they require a CC# to be stored on their servers this will be a no-go. One-time and out transactions would be OK though.

9. Re: PlanetSide 2 Trailer Jun 20, 2012, 14:30 Matshock

Does your account info. get stored on PSN? HAs their security improved?

Game looks good sure...

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2012, 12:29 Matshock

mag wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 12:02:
Matshock wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 18:08:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 17:40:
I don't really get why people are so surprised that having 700+ million gas-burning cars, hundreds of millions of heated homes, an untold number of factories, hundreds of thousands of acres of pavement, heavy deforestation, etc. might possibly upset/change things on a planetary scale.

I don't really get how people think that the giant billion-year old fusion reaction that we are stuck in orbit around couldn't have far more intense effects on our climate than our surface activity does.

For the record, CO2 isn't brown and there hasn't been acid rain in the USA for decades. I'm all for the equal protection of health and property but giving any government absolute power to regulate CO2 is to give them absolute power over EVERYTHING THAT BREATHES.

I'll continue to contemplate this next time I run 4 miles or bike 12 in smoggy Las Vegas yet seem to feel just fine.

We monitor solar output. I don't know why all of the armchair scientists think that they're the first ones to ever think of "Oh my god! You know what else could warm the planet? THE GIANT BALL OF FIRE IN THE SKY! I am so much smarter than everyone!"

The article in question made no mention that solar activity was accounted for in the model that "proves man-made GW".

Monitoring solar output and modeling solar output's effect on climate are two different things as well.

Wise up little drones, your public education is about to come crashing down on you- ask the Greeks today and tomorrow ask the "most green" industrialized economy in Europe- Spain.

News Comments > Evening Previews
2. Re: Evening Previews Jun 20, 2012, 00:47 Matshock

Cutter wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 20:01:
PS2 beta should be starting anytime now!!! Keep checking those inboxes!!!

You know I was about to sign up for that then I remembered Sony's track record of online (in)security.

I'm a bit leery...game looks good though.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2012, 18:45 Matshock

jdreyer wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 18:35:
*wall of text*

Do you think China or India or most of SE Asia or the Middle East or Russia or Eastern Europe provides "accurate enough" data? Really?

I have some carbon credits you should look at buying.

I didn't say industry/fossil fuels have no effect either. Since you can't read/comprehend this I may be wasting my time anyway.

Here is what I propose: if the governments funding man-made GW/climate research stop attempting to tax/regulate/criminalize PEOPLE WORKING and instead focus 100% on making non-fossil/renewable fuels COMPETITIVE WITHOUT PUNITIVE MEASURES I will listen to them. Until then Sic Semper Tyranis.

Take care- I'm done here.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2012, 18:08 Matshock

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 17:40:
I don't really get why people are so surprised that having 700+ million gas-burning cars, hundreds of millions of heated homes, an untold number of factories, hundreds of thousands of acres of pavement, heavy deforestation, etc. might possibly upset/change things on a planetary scale.

I don't really get how people think that the giant billion-year old fusion reaction that we are stuck in orbit around couldn't have far more intense effects on our climate than our surface activity does.

For the record, CO2 isn't brown and there hasn't been acid rain in the USA for decades. I'm all for the equal protection of health and property but giving any government absolute power to regulate CO2 is to give them absolute power over EVERYTHING THAT BREATHES.

I'll continue to contemplate this next time I run 4 miles or bike 12 in smoggy Las Vegas yet seem to feel just fine.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2012, 13:03 Matshock

Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 12:29:
I had the same reaction. Man-caused Global Warming is a religion anymore. Either you believe and swallow all their non-science and logical fallacies, or you are a heathen Earth-hater.

The sad thing is that it might even be true- but when the people funding the research are the people taxing us based on the outcome of the research we'll never find out.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2012, 11:47 Matshock

Hey, global warming "scientists"- a model based subtracting an inaccurate estimate of the volume of greenhouse gasses people are generating in the atmosphere isn't a control set. Try again.

A global climate model producing a "99 percent confidence level"? Made up data in the "control" set- or they cracked the code for a global-scale system in which case they proved that changes in solar activity doesn't affect climate at all.

They apparently don't even care anymore as long as the printed grant money keeps flowing.

News Comments > On BF3 Cheating
33. Re: On BF3 Cheating Jun 18, 2012, 16:09 Matshock

SimplyMonk wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 16:04:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 15:47:
It's infuriating that they accept "John's" justifications without push back.

If the same justifications were applied to professional sports, I'm sure you'd see the author's article go up in flames.

"Timmy can't compete in the world of professional football as he is a albino dwarf with a bone condition. To make up for it, he takes a loaded gun into every game and aims for the groin."

Even amateur sports- we have plenty of rules about equipment in softball. If you take the field with metal cleats or step up the the plate with an ultralight bat you're kicked out of the game.

30. Re: On BF3 Cheating Jun 18, 2012, 15:58 Matshock

Crustacean Soup wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 14:54:
Matshock wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 13:42:
It's pretty easy to tell- you can't even take very long range shots from a good, concealed position without instantly being spotted by either the person you took a shot at or someone you swept with your "pointer" near the person you took a shot at. It's especially bad with vehicles and their large hit boxes.

Then all they have to do is only use their aimbots when they've got a clearly doable shot otherwise. Like ASeven said- it's easy to do subtly.

Tribes Ascend is still pretty good though, I think the first aimbots made an appearance a few weeks ago but were quickly squashed.

Aimbots shouldn't even be possible in T:A. Even after the last patch nerfed the bullet weapons, they're still obnoxious as hell. They're all capable of dealing damage outside of the distance at which any of the slow-projectile weapons are effective (because bullets are harder to evade). They should spread out more with time as they're fired, but I'm not sure that they do. They have had their overall spread increased slightly and damage decreased slightly, but I still get chewed up by techs when I'm trying to mortar spam the enemy base and have no way of responding to them. Haven't had anyone Falcon the hell out of me when playing Pathfinder, so that's something.

It was a guy with a Juggernaut/LMG. I'd evade in any direction/jink/etc at any speed and get clipped down even at longer ranges and minimal exposure to his vision (like a hill between us). He also never left the ground.

Now that you mention it I wonder if it was a complete bot. Once I just started avoiding him/it I didn't have any troubles.

Anyhow, I haven't seen it since the last patch.

12. Re: On BF3 Cheating Jun 18, 2012, 14:00 Matshock

CommunistHamster wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 13:53:
The more obvious "100-0 K/D" cheaters are actually pretty rare as people have to pay monthly fees for their hacks these days (comedy gold) so they're often smarter with them.
What the fuck is wrong with competitive games these days? What kind of enjoyment can you get from winning an unfair game?

Well, when you're 14/280 lbs you'd be surprised what counts as entertainment.

I can say that because I was 14/280 lbs back in 1991. Once I worked myself to a point I can enjoy mental/physical challenges I do.

It's the nature of the beast OTOH other developers can/do stay a step ahead of most of the cheaters out there, but not DICE/EA.

8. Re: On BF3 Cheating Jun 18, 2012, 13:42 Matshock

It's pretty easy to tell- you can't even take very long range shots from a good, concealed position without instantly being spotted by either the person you took a shot at or someone you swept with your "pointer" near the person you took a shot at. It's especially bad with vehicles and their large hit boxes.

Then all they have to do is only use their aimbots when they've got a clearly doable shot otherwise. Like ASeven said- it's easy to do subtly.

Tribes Ascend is still pretty good though, I think the first aimbots made an appearance a few weeks ago but were quickly squashed.

News Comments > Morning Previews
7. Re: Morning Previews Jun 12, 2012, 16:08 Matshock

You know the number #1 reason games like COD, et. all annoy me? It's beyond the fact that they're mindless- they force you to be stupid.

I remember the first map of Rainbow Six Vegas (2?)- when in a city in Mexico and the heat is on your leader comes in on the radio "Hey, let's all climb up onto the second floor of that church, where there is no cover and we can be cut off and surrounded!" I quit playing right there.

I have no worries of Firaxis doing something like that. And the X-COM EU underground base looks more than acceptable.

Any word on the mission structure? Is like X-COM where you have to pick and choose where to send resources or more linear?

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Accelerate Patch This Week
21. Re: Tribes: Ascend Accelerate Patch This Week Jun 12, 2012, 11:08 Matshock

Flatline wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 05:19:

Pretty much. The Chaingun was pretty good at other things, like killing soft targets (solar panels and generators and inventory stations) while saving ammo. Inside the base they were pretty useful too.

One thing I noticed is missing, and I mean *really* missing from T:A are the unbelievably good snipers. When I first discovered Tribes, a friend and I would set up at opposite sides of the map and coordinate incoming enemies. Two *really* good snipers could lock down an entire map without a coordinated offense, headshotting the lights, two-shotting the mediums, and I think 3 or 4 shotting the heavies.

I moved on to other things in my Tribes days but I never forgot the frustration of having a laser bolt come out of the blue and fry my ass.

Range/damage drop offs for snipers changed that. On small maps snipers are now necessary to counter cappers with accel packs. The volume of space is really high compared to T1 so making shots is a lot harder too.

That's a crap mechanic, I'd rather they leverage the engine some more and make the terrain harder to negotiate- sunstar shoule be a lot rockier and crossfire should cover the surrounding hills with obstacles.

14. Re: Tribes: Ascend Accelerate Patch This Week Jun 11, 2012, 22:33 Matshock

Yeah I liked the "slow little bubble of doom" plasma weapon from Tribes 1 better. It gave light armor a way to burn up lazy heavies.

3. Re: Tribes: Ascend Accelerate Patch This Week Jun 11, 2012, 17:22 Matshock

space captain wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 16:45:
man i saw this coming light years away

Sure, it will bring in more $$$. It also rolls back the pay-to-win aspect of the game so I'm all for it. This is coming from someone who paid $30.00 back in April.

I got to watch people learn how to play Tribes while kicking their asses for a few weeks so I enjoyed being an early adopter.

They still need siege mode. And +1 for bringing back better frame rates. I dialed down my detail in the second week of May and was back to kicking ass against a much better players base- now it's a little more hap-hazard.

News Comments > Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator
6. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 11, 2012, 11:29 Matshock

Meh, I'll just wait for the class action lawsuit.

News Comments > etc., etc.
14. Re: etc., etc. Jun 7, 2012, 02:03 Matshock

hjkar wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 01:08:
While I generally dislike EA and David DeMartini came off as a bit of an ass in the interview. I do think steam sales cause people to devalue games much like piracy does. One can argue the sales try to profit on the fact that the value of games are already devalued due to piracy but I believe it also perpetuates a lower value. The cost of making games risen but the prices haven't, contrary to most other industries. I recall being a child and buying a new copy of Secret of Evermore for the SNES for 74.99$. That was just the plain game, no collectors edition. Using a simple inflation calculator I could expect to pay 113.05$ for the game assuming inflation of 2.44%. If the average price of a big company game was 50$ in 1995 then it would be 75.37$ now.

ROM cartridge<>digital distribution-

Most of the games we download now don't even come with a .pdf manual.

In a time of 24/7 bandwidth and pennies per GB HDD storage volume should be king or pretty close thereto.

I think Bethesda is doing a brilliant job in pricing out Skyrim- a slow decline marked only by the introduction of viable competition.

But, at the end of the day some folks aren't going to buy it until it's sub- USD $30.00 or even sub $20.00- that's profit left on the table when we're talking about digital distribution.

I didn't pick up Mass Effect 3 until it was USD $26.00 AND I wasn't going anywhere for a holiday weekend. It wasn't worth a penny more to me, and EA would have gotten nothing from me for it at any higher a price. Should they have told me to pound sand and not taken my $26.00?

330 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo