Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shane Nyberg

Real Name Shane Nyberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Matshock
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 4, 2008, 03:51
Total Comments 330 (Amateur)
User ID 50185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 20, 2012, 00:21 Matshock

So far none of the legacy premium TV folks like Viacom are interested in un-bundling their live TV services for things like Roku or Apple.

And who needs them? They put their series content on Amazon- just be willing to be a season behind and you're in. Be willing to be a couple of seasons behind and you're in on the cheap.

I pay $7.99 a month for Hulu+, $66.00 a month for uncapped DSL (I know, Vegas sucks) So comparably a cable TV/Internet/Phone bundle is $150.00/month, 150-74=76- I can rent many, much newer movies or buy seasons of a series for $76.00. Most months I don't get anywhere close to spending that.

With a Mohu antenna I get a decent HDTV signal over-the-air now too.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
12. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 16, 2012, 16:58 Matshock

Oh yeah, I forgot Yugoslavia and Chechnya- they got some violent white MFs up in there. They even got white muslims there. Crazy.

11. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 16, 2012, 16:19 Matshock

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 15:10:
Gruntstein wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 13:15:
Christian countries are white countries and white people are less likely to commit serious crimes than non-whites. This has less to do with religion and more to do with racial differences.
Ahaha yeah. I think it's about time for you to travel outside of that 60 mile limit of your house, and go travel the world a bit. There are plenty of countries that some form of christianity as the actual state religion(roman catholic for example, and a few that are protestant), that are actually non-white. I'll just point that out.

Na, you read it wrong- he actually said that whites are less violent because they are white, not because they are Christian.

I cited a few examples where this isn't the case, and there will be quite a few coming as the sedative that is welfare runs dry.

7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 16, 2012, 13:56 Matshock

Gruntstein wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 13:15:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 12:12:
space captain wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 11:50:
fear has always been used to control the population... see: christianity
Funny you say that. In other news, in socities which have a strong belief in "hell" like "christianity" there is a lower crime rate. Well now, isn't that a problem, or is it? The actual study in itself is very interesting if you're into psychology at all, though it's behind a paywall which is why I'm not linking it.

Christian countries are white countries and white people are less likely to commit serious crimes than non-whites. This has less to do with religion and more to do with racial differences.

Ever hear of Greece? How about Spain (surprise- they're white!)? Russia? Appalachia?

Plenty of ultraviolent white people still around, just fewer in Amerika.

2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 16, 2012, 11:15 Matshock

For those of you that think more .gov is the answer- here's your sign.

PS some people think that everyone living under the threat of criminalization all the time is a GREAT idea.

Look at all the undocumented Democrats Obama just told he won't arrest if they're between the ages of 18-30. He basically said legally they're still criminals, and he COULD come get them at any time but he's choosing not to, for now. They acted like they just found a Golden Ticket.

Madness. AMERRRRRIKKKKA!

News Comments > Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Announced
54. Re: Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Announced Jul 13, 2012, 12:02 Matshock

MattyC wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 09:40:
This is beyond strange. Usually people on Blues are hating all over games and I am defending them. Here people are... ok with Ultima 9? I posted a link to the whole series review earlier, but this more or less sums up what I think about Ultima 9. If that is too long for you then this is an excellent short review of U9.

Seriously though, I cannot think of another game that was such a... well... betrayal of fans besides C&C 4.

Quick summary- both U8 and U9 were the products of a dysfunctional company in which the CEO was increasingly more involved in divesting rather than directing.

You could say a similar thing about Chris Roberts and movie making vs. Wing Commander 4 even though it was less of a disaster than U8/U9.

Remember the intrigue of U7 and WC3? Not there anymore. Remember the shock and awe of the confrontation with Batlin in U7SI? Nothing like that in U8/9- heck the intro movie in U9 was the best part of the story and then you can tell Garriot bailed on the project.

When you've got good resources failing is a choice.

49. Re: Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Announced Jul 12, 2012, 22:52 Matshock

WyldKat wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 21:22:
The sick/sad thing is that if EA hadn't mishandled and fucked with Origin (the REAL Origin) and the Ultima series they would have had a franchise that would have rivaled The Elder Scrolls series to this very day. Ultima 6 and 7 advanced the genre so much in how you could interact with the environment.

I blame Garriot as much as EA- I knew what was going to happen back then and I was a dumb teenager.

Then Roberts went off to make a movie and the rest is history.

The sad thing is that there's a great formula just sitting there ready to be picked up again (U6/U7) and it would work just fine today and have almost no competition.

25. Re: Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Announced Jul 12, 2012, 13:25 Matshock

Yep, just keeping crapping all over my childhood EA- I'll be playing XCOM-EU while you're pushing this out.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 11, 2012, 11:05 Matshock

The bundlers finally found a way to raise prices in a depression- kill one of their own in order to decrease supply.

If it doesn't come in on my Roku or my Mohu I don't need it. I use DSL just to avoid our cable company's bundling requirements.

News Comments > Survarium Video Diary & Screenshots
2. Re: Survarium Video Diary & Screenshots Jul 9, 2012, 15:19 Matshock

I love STALKER.

I'll believe it when I see it (those screen shots look suspiciously familiar).

I won't save my credit card information on a Ukrainian server even if I do see it.

News Comments > Tribes Ascend on Steam
18. Re: Tribes Ascend on Steam Jun 28, 2012, 23:29 Matshock

Jerykk wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 22:51:
I've never seen that happen in a match where the teams are mostly balanced. It's possible to do if one team is terrible and the other isn't, but that's not really cheating. It just means the teams aren't balanced. That said, HR does need to work on its auto-balance system. It doesn't seem to trigger when it's actually needed and when it does trigger, it doesn't make any sense (like if the score is 4-3).

No kidding, the AB took away our star capper while we were losing last week- it ruined the match.

16. Re: Tribes Ascend on Steam Jun 28, 2012, 14:48 Matshock

Veterator wrote on Jun 28, 2012, 08:29:
Wall of text

Well, the overall price of getting stuff has fallen since April. I think you could make an argument that it's falling too fast but not that it shouldn't fall at all.

We're already getting new maps every month and I bet we're not even halfway done with getting new content- which didn't cost us a dime.

Finally, yeah I see a flag troll once and a while, they're not invincible though- grab an assault rifle (which is also free) and hunt the little bastards down.

11. Re: Tribes Ascend on Steam Jun 28, 2012, 00:40 Matshock

Yep- existing install works fine with the caveats from my previous post.

8. Re: Tribes Ascend on Steam Jun 27, 2012, 23:27 Matshock

Jerykk wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 22:56:
Can you still get the Starter pack for that price if you already have an account? Or is it new accounts only?

looks like Halo 3.1

I hope that was sarcasm.

I just did it- I'm not a noob but I didn't have 90% of what was in the pack.

You have to launch Tribes with the -steam tag with Steam open and logged in (click on the options gears in the Tribes launcher before you click PLAY) to apply the starter pack to your account.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
32. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2012, 16:07 Matshock

Orogogus wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 14:42:
1. Those spending actions are justifications that would be used for raising taxes, as indicated by the word "to".

2. The same checks that keep the government from raising taxes at the federal level apply to climate change regulation as well.

3. You'll note that James Lovelock still believes in manmade global warming.

The base argument is, why would governments need to fund a global warming scare to raise revenue? There are easier, more profitable ways.

I'll answer the question because it is worth while:

Because governments don't care about profit. They care about control.
Controlling CO2 emissions give them complete power over transportation, agriculture, construction- every human activity really.

Turn off your lights then light a candle- you just added more CO2 to the atmosphere than the coal power that went to your light bulb. Take a breath...why are you still breathing at age 80?

Need some examples?

Governments propose to make your health care decisions for you.

Liberals love to remind us that our .gov lied about the reasons we went to war in two countries this last decade and killed 100's of thousands of people. Heck, we elected the anti-war president and an anti-war congress and we're still doing it.

Governments criminalize one form of chemical recreation and legalize another based on nothing more than where the campaign funding is coming from.

Nazis demonizing Jews.

Muslim Theocracies do the same.

MacArthy hunting communists in Hollywood.

Appartied

Slavery

The list goes on damn near forever.

In the end how were any of those profitable? And don't tell me slavery was because when Atlanta was burned to ground that made it pretty much a wash.

Taxation isn't about profit- it's about control. Regulation and criminalization even more so and they're on the docket in CO2 legislation too.

I never denied that man-made global warming was real.

WAKE UP LITTLE DRONES! READ! THINK!

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2012, 14:09 Matshock

Orogogus wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 12:28:
Matshock wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 12:01:
as I alluded to before, greedy & incompetent governments with taxation agendas have an absolute monopoly on the research so that's not surprising.

This just sounds incredibly contrived and tinfoil hat every time you bring it up as an arguing point. Greedy governments don't need to make up stories about climate change to raise taxes. They can raise taxes just because. In countries where they have to care about votes, the demographic swayed by climate change arguments is the same one that would be willing to shift the tax burden from low earners to corporations. It's in these governments' interest to have companies earning more money and then slapping taxes on them to offset the deficit, to pay for universal health care, to safeguard against an increase in Chinese defense spending, to bail out the Detroit auto industry, anything they feel like, none of which requires research, grant money or handing the burden of justification to people and organizations outside their direct control. There are far simpler and more broadly appealing pretexts than a climate change bogeyman, wherein the hypothetical insane government(s) have picked something that goes down as well as a tax to fund abortions.

When people posit the reverse, that giant, polluting corporations have enormous incentive to muddle the climate change argument, it's a much more direct line of argument.

I'll forgo trading insults because it would be too easy.

1. You cited a bunch of spending actions as examples of things .gov does because it can, not tax actions.

2. They haven't raised taxes at a federal level (all the things you cited are federal) because they apparently can't (as of now).

3. James Lovelock, whom I cited maybe even as you were typing doesn't need money from .gov or corporate folks.

Since your argument doesn't even appear valid on it's face I'll just sit here confidently in a philosophical corner with James Lovelock.

I'm done here- don't take to the streets kids or you'll get run over.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2012, 12:22 Matshock

...and here's the skinny right from the source, James Lovelock:

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/22/green-drivel

I've got more in common with the originator of the Gaia Theory than the professed believers here and elsewhere.

He responds to attacks on his revised views by noting that, unlike many climate scientists who fear a loss of government funding if they admit error, as a freelance scientist, heís never been afraid to revise his theories in the face of new evidence. Indeed, thatís how science advances.

...and that's the tip of the iceberg- great article.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2012, 23:52 Matshock

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 22:05:
Should be fine. Since most of the studies go back to several studies with badly formulated data. Yamal for instance, when not cherry picked doesn't reflect the data as was presented. Universities from China, Japan and Canada have tried to recreate the hockey stick and have failed. So have independent scientists. Doesn't help either when the scientists themselves refuse to release the data, or have 'lost' the data, or have deliberately deleted the data, or are stonewalling the data.

No no. That speaks of agenda's and agenda's aren't science. That's orthodoxy, you know. Remember that thing you learned in World History class, about the Catholic Church and Indulgences? Now you remember that thing about Carbon Credits and paying people to make you feel better?

So, lets not forget that they've been saying that the arctic would be free of ice this year, um 20 years ago. Or that there would be no ice on various mountains, or all the glaciers would be gone. Or a variety of other things. Let's not forget that the MET office for example was saying that there would be no more snow in the UK, but they got snow last year. Let's not pretend either that we don't have even a fundamental understanding of the mechanisms of weather in the longterm itself, but we're trying to understand climate.

Science is fine, what most conservatives believe is that indeed there is global warming. What they don't believe is that it's manmade. What they do believe is that it's either natural in some form, or there's a mechanism that's missing. Seeing as how this rock has been much warmer with CO2 levels 40x higher, and life was flourishing. Well until a giant meteor hit.

Warning: slightly drunk post:

I've got a background in business but I use the scientific method in some of my work and I'm familiar with it on a basic level.

I see climate change/GW as kind of scam because the people selling it have one of two stories:

1. You have a disease- it's called CO2 and I have a cure for it. It's in the next room here and if you just give me a large sum of money I'l go get it for you and bring it right out. But I can't show it to you first.

2. If you don't give me a large sum of money a hurricane will kick in your door and kill your family. Or a drought, or an ice age or some such shit.

Two classic BS scams- so as a business person I don't buy it.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2012, 12:01 Matshock

jdreyer wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 05:38:
Why do conservatives have such a problem with science? Of 1000s of studies, published 99% support anthropomorphic global warming. 1% don't. You guys really do support the 1%. Please go buy beachfront property in FL and let us know how that works out for you in 30 years.

Put it another way: would you not fire a doctor who tried to fix you using leeches and prayer instead of modern surgical techniques? 99% of published studies show that modern surgical techniques are more effective than leeches and prayer. Are you really going to say you shouldn't fire the doctor for not being a good little AMA douche?

This isn't to single out conservatives exclusively. There are plenty of anti-science libs, like the anti-vaccine kooks.

Medical grade leeches are bred and used to restore circulation in re-attached extremities. Prayer has been proven to increase patient's chances of recovery and speed recovery. One doesn't have to be a kook to ignorantly dismiss that which they don't understand.

As for 99% of studies favoring industrialization as the cause of GW- as I alluded to before, greedy & incompetent governments with taxation agendas have an absolute monopoly on the research so that's not surprising.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 21, 2012, 17:50 Matshock

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 17:10:
Cutter wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 15:21:
TheLeech wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 15:13:
That professor will be fine. The wingnut welfare state takes care of its martyrs.

Heaven knows the borrow/steal & spend right-wing kooks certainly are unable to.

As opposed to the left that....lets see....oh yea! Borrow/steal & spend. Got it.

Na, na you got it wrong man, when they do it it's job creation. Racist

Seriously though, yeah the industrial-military folks raided the treasury a bit during Bush W's terms and are still trying to do so.

But a volunteer military can only do so much- the hundred+ million conscripts of the long-term unemployed have spent as much in three years as the I-M folks did in eight. They take two swings at the treasury for every one that the I-M folks did (they take out and then pay no taxes back in). It's call Cloward-Piven, look it up. The tragedy is that when the conscript army wins they get liquidated right thereafter.

I'll throw my lot in with the 1% thanks. There's just the teeniest, tiniest chance we can still turn this thing around.

330 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo