Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Shane Nyberg

Real Name Shane Nyberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Matshock
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 4, 2008, 03:51
Total Comments 330 (Amateur)
User ID 50185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
19. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 3, 2012, 11:27 Matshock

Now we're getting somewhere- here's the rub:

1. MS might be declaring an effective end to PC AAA gaming with Windows 8. This might be intentional to force migration to XBOX 720.

2. What if Valve/Activision/etc. say FU to MS and now all PCs can have a Linux sector on their HDDs? They could just come up with an app that manages the sector size for you and can boot you to Linux with a simple double-click? Heck, with plenty of memory and a small OS footprint why no open it in a window? Heck why not have it be a transparent part of opening a game?

Just speculating there but I'm sticking to my opinion that this particular article makes no sense.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 2, 2012, 23:45 Matshock

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 23:31:
Matshock wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 21:08:
They keep leaving out what version of DirectX they're referencing. DX9 vs. today's OGL?

Journalism- making people with marketing degrees look smart.

They're obviously talking about the newest currently available implementations of both.

Obviously Source runs DX11- oh wait, it doesn't.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 2, 2012, 21:19 Matshock

There's one more hurdle to clear: municipal governments that grant the cable giants defacto monopolies. You can't lay or hang wire without their say so and if you're not going to make it worth their while they won't say so.

Google at least has the $$$ to make it happen- no big win for the little guy though.

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 2, 2012, 21:08 Matshock

They keep leaving out what version of DirectX they're referencing. DX9 vs. today's OGL?

Journalism- making people with marketing degrees look smart.

News Comments > Rise of the Triad Revival Announced
18. Re: Rise of the Triad Revival Announced Aug 2, 2012, 18:22 Matshock

That was shockingly ROTT. I had to do a double-take. The scripted finishing moves were a bit offensive but it sure looked like the ROTT I remember otherwise.

I'll stop at "interested" for now.

News Comments > Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor
39. Re: Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor Jul 31, 2012, 17:14 Matshock

Mad Max RW wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 16:50:
Everyone must be sharing the same prescription of rose-tinted glasses. The Stalker engine is nearly as fucked up as the Gamebryo mess. The only major difference is GSC created better gameplay than Bethesda. Both are saved by their mod communities.

Meh- xray has the unfortunate circumstance of coming out in that time frame when multicore processors were considered high end. They -could- do some excellent visuals on xray, but it lacked good enough multicore support to pump a good frame rate.

Then they wanted to capitalize on the franchise instead of take time to really overhaul the engine and the rest is history.

Crawling out of the hell underneath Pripyat and seeing then sun, then remembering I'm in the hell of Pripyat is one of my top 10 gaming moments ever.

Then from the first game- after barley surviving the entry into Pripyat, running away from from a lost battle and hiding until I healed up I took some shaky steps outside, spotted a black figure and decided I had just died- it turned out to be a stalker that followed in after the first wave. I was never so happy to see a NPC in my life.

The only franchises that were that memorable for me were System Shock, Half Life and XCOM if that tells you how highly I regard STALKER.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2012, 11:48 Matshock

Hmmm- red blood usually means a tearing in the tissue in/around the anus- can be a problem but not necessarily really bad.

Dark/older blood actually in the stool (streaking)- bad news.

I hope all turns out well.

Hobbit:

Episodes 2 & 3 contain heavy Silmarillion material?; that may not be so bad. I saw people scoffing at the end of the FOTR though because they didn't understand what a trilogy was- they're going to be turned off by constant flashing to short stories.

News Comments > Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor
13. Re: Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor Jul 31, 2012, 11:39 Matshock

At least it wasn't Gearbox!

Bethesda- if you're reading this, three things:

1. Difficult to navigate maps are a good thing.

2. Scripting should be kept to a bare minimum.

3. Bullets don't travel in a straight line.

...if you can manage those three, then you might have a chance.

36. Re: Hobbit Jul 26, 2012, 19:25 Matshock

Ah, that's more like it- then we need some more visibility on that $5 billion number.

Huh, jdreyer?

Well, if it really cost $5 billion just to develop a color pattern then there's a huge disconnect in our supply chain between R&D money and real goods money. The real goods at least are sounding more reasonable.

Then it has actually gotten to the point where it costs far more to develop something that barely works than it does to actually deliver it.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2012, 20:04.

33. Re: Hobbit Jul 26, 2012, 18:43 Matshock

I have to stick to my assessment though- we're getting gouged on your clothing unless that includes a whole bunch of shirts, socks and underwear. Only 1 pair of ACUs at that price right? Based on a few to several million copies being sold it should be less than that.

Final thought- yeah the problem is certainly a top-down one. I think our current crop of politicians is a heavy load to bear in most cases.

32. Re: Hobbit Jul 26, 2012, 18:29 Matshock

Actually, now that I think of it- 4 million sets of ACUs is probably pretty close if folks buy at least 2 sets each. Does the $5 billion even include body armor?

10X12 ceramic lvlIV stand alone plates are about $400.00 for a pair, then a primo carrier would be about $200.00. Add a bunch of molle stuff and I can't see someone going more than $800.00- that's top-of the line in the civilian world as far as I know.

Now if you're talking about a full body job, please let me know which one on this page is closest to what you're issued:

http://www.bulletproofme.com/TACTICAL_Body_Armor.shtml#Interceptor

This is interesting that you've got this priced out- thanks!

30. Re: Hobbit Jul 26, 2012, 18:17 Matshock

Wow I didn't know it had gotten that small. Yeah, we're screwed about 5X faster than I though we were in that department.

Don't take my arguments as a knock against our folks serving, I'm glad they survived and continue to survive.

But we can't afford all this for much longer- quote me.

28. Re: Hobbit Jul 26, 2012, 15:58 Matshock

About 2 million combat army over the last 10 years, let's weight the other 8 million support @ 25%- so 4 million complete sets of gear.

5 billion/ 4 million= about $1250.00 per set including development costs. Yeah that's a bit high. About 20-30% higher than retail.

1/4 of a Billion is a bit high for a fighter too.

But you've got to remember those costs factor in the cost of borrowing the money to pay for it on top of our massive welfare state. It also includes the bipartisan corruption (looping .gov spending back to candidates through unions, PACs, etc.),

We're screwed, from all angles IMO. We need our .gov to end all wars on abstract concepts and inanimate objects and stop redistributing private assets from one private party to another. But more than half of us "make a living" off of such activities so I guess we'd rather strangle the golden goose...

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 25, 2012, 13:33 Matshock

The Hobbit:

I'm still worried about this one. They would need to write a great deal of additional content into the story to justify a 3rd movie. They would have had to write some additional content to justify two, 2 hour movies.

They need to make a TV mini-series out of The Silmarillion if they pull off The Hobbit.

Camo:

Just watch- they'll fight their next war in an urban environment like SE Asia or Eastern Europe and want their DCUs back. That stuff blends into gray urban really well. Sand urban, not so much.

39. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2012, 17:24 Matshock

Law enforcement has confirmed the AR jammed at some point- they still need to do the math on it.

No confirmation so far on the body armor- so far the only confirmed items are basic load carrying nylon. The so-called throat protector may just be padding.

F'ed up situation, but I would wait for all the available facts before drawing any specific conclusions.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2012, 13:58 Matshock

Fang wrote on Jul 22, 2012, 10:34:
This is Colorado. There were probably 10-20 other guns in the crowd. And every single one choose to run.

It's not a question of should there be more guns for people. It's a question of whether we should reinstitute the assaut weapons ban. Then at least the law abiding citizens have a chance to stand up to someone like this. No way will someone armed with a small pistol go up against a guy with an assault rifle.

Take away the assault weapons and they'll just switch to IEDs, ask Israel- they only let .gov folks carry guns although there is the general draft into the IDF.

They may switch to IEDs soon anyway and then YOU will want to carry a rifle with you to go grocery shopping if you have any survival instincts in you.

This country has a major balkinization problem and social (familial) erosion problem that won't be solved by gun bans.

As for this particular guy Holmes- there is another student from his PHD program that is missing and is a person of interest in the investigation. There is a standing concern that someone let Holmes into the theater from the inside. This is far from over.

While you're looking into this go look up why no one in the media talks about Jared Laughner anymore- it's telling.

IMO he attacked Rep. Giffords and her constituents because he was not only crazed, but because left wing ideology had replaced his personality with something cold and judgmental. Feel free to replace left with right, it doesn't matter really- but people with borderline personalities are just feeling the strain in this country more keenly than people with more mental constitution.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2012, 01:24 Matshock

PHJF wrote on Jul 21, 2012, 01:04:
So this is not a conclusive case against armed citizens any more than it is an affirmation thereof.

Actually the problem was an armed citizen killed twelve people in a movie theater. So it's a pretty clear case against armed citizens.

No opposing armed citizens to meet the lone offender- so no.

The idea that a society or government can create a condition of zero armed citizens is preposterous as well.

Governments that propose to disarm all their citizens always end up mass murdering them periodically anyway. Or they even mass murder less armed citizens. Waco, Ruby Ridge, the Trail of Tears, Lodz, Ukraine, Chicoms, etc. etc. etc.

At least our way more people get an individual choice to run or fight.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2012, 00:52 Matshock

Cutter wrote on Jul 21, 2012, 00:22:
It's one thing to be fixated on violence, another to shoot up a place.

And my statement still stands. We're not talking about a mugging or something, but a theater with a few hundred people in a dark room freaking out in the midst of teargas, smoke and automatic gun fire. Do you really want to trust that if 20 of those people are carrying guns they're going to be cool as SEALS and ignore the chaos around them to hunt down the gunman or more likely just whip out a gun and shoot anything that looks like a potential threat to them? Thanks, but I'll take my chances on running or hiding in that case.

And you're welcome to. It's all coulda woulda shoulda at this point anyway.

So this is not a conclusive case against armed citizens any more than it is an affirmation thereof.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2012, 23:00 Matshock

Cutter wrote on Jul 20, 2012, 20:50:
I love the comments from the gun nuts saying nothing like this would occur if everyone else was armed. Oh yeah, that's exactly what I want in a dark theater of panicked people running around, everyone whipping out Glocks and shooting at anything that moves. Yeah, I could see how that'd work out well for everyone.

I guess the TSA will now be coming to America's theaters, theme parks and school next.

And of course then they have to go after the religious angle, 'Why did this happen?' Um, maybe because some people just snap. None of us are that far off from it. That's all insanity is, just saying yes to the wrong impulse. All it takes is the right set of conditions before someone goes looney tunes.

The guy's mom knew he was a nutcase with a fixation on violence for some time now. You want a reason? Ask her. All the other media hype is just that.

As for guns, it's entirely possible that there weren't any others in the theater. The service people there have been banned from carrying during leave by our current President. OTOH if you want several documented instances of concealed carry holders stopping shootings it won't take long to find them. Nothing this big stopped yet though because thankfully it doesn't happen all that often.

Anyhow, all of us that got in a car today had a much better chance of dying horribly in traffic than running into a homicidal maniac, so I'm not going to worry too much about this unless it happens a lot more often.

News Comments > etc., etc.
9. Re: etc., etc. Jul 20, 2012, 00:35 Matshock

I wrote a couple of paragraphs about the whole gay thing then it occurred to me- the way things are going .gov will be fortunate if they can even collect taxes at all soon let alone tell us who pays what and why. Gays and everyone else better worry about what happens when there isn't any legal system around to protect them rather than what their special interest rights are under it at this point- sad to say.

As for EA- their games still suck. I bought ME3 on a super sale just to finish the series, I don't see a single EA title coming down the pike that I want, not one. UBI has better stuff coming that EA!

330 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo