Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Deathbishop
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 3, 2008, 17:49
Total Comments 79 (Suspect)
User ID 50169

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners
43. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 13:18 Deathbishop

I fit those numbers perfectly. Relatively large library but very few have been played. It's an even smaller percentage of what I've actually finished. Some of the has to do with time (not a lot of it available) and some of it has to do with being occupied with non-steam games. For example, I'm currently playing Hearthstone but I can easily be playing a non-steam MMO.

On the same token, it hasn't stopped me from buying anything if I think the game is interesting. I think of my library as more of a collection than anything else.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2014, 13:04 Deathbishop

I thought the episode was great. One of the last lines Hart says to Rust is really what the show was about 'We can't get all of them - but we got our guy'. And that ultimately was the point. Plus I think the focus of the show was always the relationship between the two detectives. Everything else (including the investigation) was just running parallel to that.  

News Comments > 2013's Top Free-to-Play Games
10. Re: 2013's Top Free-to-Play Games Jan 20, 2014, 10:38 Deathbishop

Since when is WoW a FTP game?  

News Comments > Steam Greenlight Ending
12. Re: Steam Greenlight Ending Jan 15, 2014, 18:14 Deathbishop

If it's crap, which Steam has a lot of anyway, it's going to get buried in the Steam catalog anyway. All this does is allow the crap to get in without a filter (Greenlight). I think the comment about fewer indies making money is spot on. At least with Greenlight, you got a passing mention. Now, you may get your stuff on Steam but if it's not highlighted or featured in any way, it may be a little harder to make money.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2014, 10:11 Deathbishop

As far as why GoT airs in the spring vs. the winter, because there is more competition during the winter (Walking Dead).  

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Jan 8, 2014, 12:54 Deathbishop

BitWraith wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 09:00:
The biggest problem with Steam machines is the hardware is not standardized. Too many options that cost too much. It's like the modern PC version of 3DO. These things are not going to be successful.

I don't think Gaben cares necessarily if they're successful - if he did then Valve would be handling the hardware themselves.

The difference is two fold. One, the 3DO didn't have a whole lot of games worth a damn, Steam boxes have the entirety of the Steam library. Two, the 3DO came out during a time where paying $500 for a 'console' unheard of, not so today judging by Xbone's sales number alone.

I think a lot of folks on here underestimate how much 'convenience' and 'ease of use' costs. Apple doesn't sell millions of iphones because it's the most powerful phone on the market.

News Comments > Deadpool and Other Marvel Removals Confirmed
45. Re: Deadpool and Other Marvel Removals Confirmed Jan 2, 2014, 19:03 Deathbishop

The point is that yes, they can do that but to what end? I hope folks understand that the day Steam starts removing games from libraries with abandon is the day Valve destroys the very reputation is has as the premiere digital distrubtor, not just from consumers but from devs/publishers as well. Millions upon millions of dollars it would cost Valve. I do not think it would be in their best interest to screw over customers and in turn, the industry.  

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Lawsuit
51. Re: Battlefield 4 Lawsuit Dec 18, 2013, 15:12 Deathbishop

Beamer wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 15:04:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 14:45:
ItBurn wrote on Dec 18, 2013, 14:37:
If you start getting sued because a certain person doesn't like a game, it's going to cost even more to make games and companies will take even less risks. It's just terrrrible for the industry.

Releasing working games is terrible for the game industry? Bugs and crashes are facts, and any gamer should be able to sue a company if it releases a BROKEN GAME.

Egosoft.. looking at you!

How do you define "broken?"

It's not something you really want the law to be involved in. ItBurn is right, once that happens, companies stop taking risks.

Nearly every game I've owned has crashed at some point. Were they broken? Could I sue? What if it was a hardware issue, not a software one, even if widespread? You mention bugs, but rocket jumping was a bug, could someone sue id because you could rocket jump your way into parts of levels you weren't supposed to get to?

It's a giant can of worms. Right now, so long as the software doesn't destroy your hard drive, it's basically ok. And, thinking about it, I can only think of a few games that probably should be sue worthy. Off the top of my head, there was that Big Rigs game, which had no collision detection despite having bridges (meaning you drove through them, not over them), and, uh... that's about it. Other than that, I can't think of a single game that couldn't be completed and, for the most part, enjoyed.

I think folks need to decide what 'broken' means. Because the fact of the matter is, although BF4 has a number of bugs, the game is playable for most gamers.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Lawsuit
27. Re: Battlefield 4 Lawsuit Dec 18, 2013, 13:12 Deathbishop

Basically something that has zero chance of succeeding. Would set an incredible precedent if it was granted (any dev could get sued if they put out a game that had bugs in it). Plus I'm curious how it affects shareholders, since despite the bugs the game has sold very well.  

News Comments > DICE Pauses All Future Projects for BF4 Repairs
41. Re: DICE Pauses All Future Projects for BF4 Repairs Dec 5, 2013, 13:12 Deathbishop

I've been playing for about a week now and I haven't had much issues either. I did crash a few times last night but other than that it's been pretty smooth.

Just for what it's worth, it's not all bad for all PC players.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2013, 08:04 Deathbishop

RIP.  

News Comments > John Carmack Leaves id Software
61. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 09:59 Deathbishop

I'm put him in the same category as someone like Garriot. Pioneered in the 90's but pretty irrelevant in recent (think last decade) times. I agree, it was his focus and direction that really has driven the FPS (and PC gaming in general) to what it is today.

The fact of the matter is the industry is not what it was in the 90's anymore. You can say he had something to do with that but in another sense it's like the industry has passed him by as well.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video
27. Re: Star Citizen Passes $23M; Hangar Spaceflight Mod Video Oct 20, 2013, 09:11 Deathbishop

All I know is this game is the poster child for crowdfunding. If it fails (meaning doesn't live up to expectations, which at this point seem impossible), it'll be hard to see another project achieving the milestones this one has. Fool me once, shame on me and all that.  

News Comments > Console Emulation Through Steam
4. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 13, 2013, 11:53 Deathbishop

One wonders how long Valve is going to allow it. I would think at some point Nintendo/Sony/etc are going to give them a call.  

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Beta Opens
41. Re: Battlefield 4 Beta Opens Oct 5, 2013, 08:50 Deathbishop

It does feel different than BF3 in some ways, it's hard to explain. Perhaps it's the vertical nature of the map. It feels the pace is slower but I can't tell if that's due to lag or not. They did make a lot of subtle improvements to BF3 (kill cam, etc). It's all about the maps. I do like the beta map, it's probably better than any map in BF3.  

News Comments > Steam Machines Announced
71. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 19:28 Deathbishop

I love how some on here immediately dismiss something once the words 'couch' and 'tv' enter the conversation, because damn you if you remove the PC gamer from the holy mecca of the desk and monitor.

This is about choices and that's a good thing. My kid loves to play games on my PC but she'd rather do it on the tv then sit at a monitor. And no, I'm not dragging my PC back and forth from desk to right next to the TV.

News Comments > Steam Family Sharing Announced; Will Allow Game Lending
45. Re: Steam Family Sharing Announced; Will Allow Game Lending Sep 11, 2013, 17:10 Deathbishop

Krovven wrote on Sep 11, 2013, 16:42:
What happens if my Library is being shared (and in use) and I log in via the website or the mobile app? Will friends get booted then too? can I contact them via Steam message somehow to tell them I am logging in, save your game, etc?

I can see this being handy with a few longtime freinds on Steam, especially when some of us are working opposite hours, or just away from Steam for long periods, so a friend can play a game that I own or vice versa... (without sharing passwords).

I can see that. For example, my Steam library is currently dormant because I'm playing FFXIV.

News Comments > Steam Family Sharing Announced; Will Allow Game Lending
40. Re: Steam Family Sharing Announced; Will Allow Game Lending Sep 11, 2013, 16:19 Deathbishop

Yea, the only scenario I can see this benefiting from is the two PC home that has a stay at home wife. Guy goes to work and wife can access the steam library on the 2nd pc. The only true benefit is the wife isn't logging into Steam with the guy's login but really, what's the point of that? Lending to a friend makes some sense, the friend would have to know for certain that the owner is not on his/her account during a certain time. This gets much more complicated when you multiply by 9 more people (to a max of 10).

Like others said, it really only saves you from giving your credentials out (and to a certain extent, it makes sense due to wallet).

29. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2013, 08:28 Deathbishop

Breaking Bad is alright, but I don't see how it's even in the same ballpark as Sopranos as one of the great alltime drama series. A lot of this has to do with the fact that (in my opinion) you just get a better quality of show on a channel like HBO than anything that 'regular' cable can dish out. As violent as Walking dead is, that show would be a hundred times better on HBO without the 'restrictions'.

Boardwalk Empire is another really good one.

38. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 13:53 Deathbishop

After jumping in the Kindle bandwagon and getting a paperwhite, i'm floored how people still read actual books anymore. No worn pages, no torn covers, delivered instantly, etc.  

79 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo