Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wallshadows
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 29, 2008, 20:53
Total Comments 2009 (Senior)
User ID 50040

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III
8. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 17, 2013, 19:51 Wallshadows

Plot twist: Blizzard rehires David Brevik.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gone Gold - Aliens: Colonial Marines
17. Re: Gone Gold - Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 16, 2013, 17:45 Wallshadows

The problem I've had with the AVP games is that they're in a self-contained universe which has zero outcome. While I can certainly appreciate Rebellion and Monolith for giving us these modern AVP games (even AVP3), it never felt like there was any start or finish to the story with each new title. It always boiled down to what was essentially a copy and paste from the previous title rather than expand upon it and deliver a much larger experience to the point where the movies for AVP and AVP:R had more of a story arch than any of the AVP games.

At least with an Alien-centric experience, you can pin down its location in the story and get a sense of progression to help bridge the gap which is what CM is allegedly going to do. It'll give you the opportunity to play through events which are at least tied in to something much larger rather than play what felt like an anthology.

There's nothing wrong with AVP (with the exception of the movies), it just never felt like your actions had consequence or that any of it really mattered given the separate layout of each title. It felt more like Rebellion and Monolith were trying to see who had the biggest dick with their 'origins' vision rather than make an intricate, interconnected series.

It's up to Gearbox to fulfill their word and make CM stand on its own without the assistance of a Predator while also satisfying the Alien fans prior to Resurrection and that's a tough feat to perform.

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 2013, 17:51.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Aliens: Colonial Marines
2. Re: Gone Gold - Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 16, 2013, 15:05 Wallshadows

I'm still likely going to perform a day one purchase in spite of my somewhat mixed feelings towards this title. I'm hoping that I can co-op with some of my buddies too if they decide to get it and that the co-op in general is fun.

At least enough fun to get $40 worth out of it since GMG usually has it listed for sub-$40 prices with their coupon codes...

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2013, 14:14 Wallshadows

You have the innocence of children and the impurity of a whore. It's a theological conflict of dualism between good and evil and that she may corrupt their innocence. It would be interesting to see how many members on that panel are associated with religion and used that as fuel for their decision.

Granted, it seems like a lot of kids these days are pretty fucked up as it is and don't need help.

Also: Tiffany Six

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 2013, 14:20.

News Comments > DmC: Devil May Cry PC Differences
2. Re: DmC: Devil May Cry PC Differences Jan 16, 2013, 13:25 Wallshadows

Is this the one where they turn Dante in to an emo fuckwad?  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 16, 2013, 12:49 Wallshadows

All the ghosts in Pac-Man want to kill him unless he takes drugs and eats them first. May as well say they are racists towards yellow circle folk too.

Ban!

News Comments > Diablo III 1.07 on PTR
9. Re: Diablo III 1.07 on PTR Jan 16, 2013, 12:44 Wallshadows

So when all is said and done, it'll take them roughly a year to release a half-baked PVP system.

Good job!

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial
19. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial Jan 15, 2013, 23:21 Wallshadows

@Flatline

1) I wondered this too. The first time we're able to see Hicks with his bandages is after he is on board the Sulaco and Ripley has rescued Newt but before she was aware that the Queen was onboard. The next scene with Hicks is when he is in the hypersleep tube but is fully bandaged but without a shirt and appears to be unconscious since they likely got him to medical.

So, either Bishop patched him up while Ripley was off saving Newt and made the call or he made the call after Ripley and Newt returned but only before the Queen was ejected in to space since it wouldn't really make sense to leave a distress to assume they're all KIA if he knew all of this information.

Last but not least on this particular issue, the USCM will only respond with a rescue pickup once a team is overdue by 17 days. In the game, however, they only respond to it 17 weeks after they get the distress signal. Something doesn't quite add up but I feel they'll use a big bad Company plot to explain it.

Either that or it's an incredibly huge error.

2) Hadley's Hope should have been obliterated. While there are likely structures still standing, I'm not sure how it would be in the state that's shown in CM unless it's another facility much further from HH.

3) Tin-foil hat thought is that the Company already sent a team to recover the crew on the Sulaco but even then, it's a stretch to wonder how the Aliens would have got there in the first place and without the Queen or her egg-laying apparatus, no eggs would have been stowed away and it's unclear as to how long a facehugger would be able to survive outside an egg. If a facehugger had time to sneak on board the Sulaco, doing so when Ripley and Newt boarded the dropship towards the end would be the best time for it to do so but I still kind of remain skeptical about this.

The long, implausible explanation would be that a facehugger snuck on board the Sulaca by way of the dropship, a second team was sent to investigate after the 17 days, they got fucked up, new Queen and Xenos populate the Sulaco and now the Company wants another go at it with more troops to return a live sample. This is where the 17 weeks later thing would kick in.

4) My understanding is that a fire or malfunction occurred and caused the Sulaco to jettison the hypersleep capsules which had life signs. It just happened to be near Fury 161. Alien 3 suggests that a facehugger is what caused this but that leads me back to the above dilemma although as CM is billed as a tie in between Aliens and Alien 3, it might be explained?

I'm going to reserve judgement on the overall story and plot until I play the game but the more I think about it, the more it feels as though a lot of compromises were made in order to shoehorn this title and that we, the fans, will likely be asked for a certain amount of suspension of disbelief in order for it to work. I hope I'm wrong and it turns out great or at least enjoyable but this is going to be the make or break for me and Gearbox.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2013, 23:37.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
8. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 15, 2013, 22:11 Wallshadows

While we're at it, lets just censor Halloween costumes and decorations to ensure nobody gets their feelings hurt.

I'm not sure what I am more upset over. The fact that I likely won't ever get to own this or all the hypersensitive people who come out of the woodwork to say how butthurt they are.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial
3. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial Jan 15, 2013, 12:48 Wallshadows

For being billed as a sequel to the events that occurred in Aliens, they really butchered the room layout of the Engineer. Unless it's a new one but then I'll feel like I am playing Prometheus instead.

See, I made a pretty awesome comparison. Don't hate at my awesome lines and arrows.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 11, 2013, 12:20 Wallshadows

But he's the next gaming god!  

News Comments > Diablo III Inadvertent PvP to be Fixed
13. Re: Diablo III Inadvertent PvP to be Fixed Jan 8, 2013, 16:27 Wallshadows

Vote kick in a Diablo game makes about as much sense as everything else they've decided to do to make the third title a stinker. So I guess it's a decision that's par for the course.  

News Comments > Firefly Universe Online
11. Re: Firefly Universe Online Jan 5, 2013, 23:15 Wallshadows

I hope that those who donate like 25$ can get a Jayne Cobb hat or something neat. I'd probably open my wallet and shake all the money out of it if that was the case even if the game itself ends up being 'meh'.  

News Comments > Steam Sale Encore
7. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 19:05 Wallshadows

Thanks guys, I went ahead and used a fake US mailing address and all is going well!  

News Comments > Firefly Universe Online
1. Re: Firefly Universe Online Jan 5, 2013, 16:58 Wallshadows

I'd much rather have another season...  

News Comments > Steam Sale Encore
1. Re: Steam Sale Encore Jan 5, 2013, 16:55 Wallshadows

So in my search of finding XCOM for a decent price, my friend introduced me to dealzon.com and it pointed me to Amazon which was selling XCOM for 24.99 which may be as cheap as I will find it for some time.

Everything was going great until it asked me for my billing information. It says state/province/region next to the drop down option, but only states are available which immediately triggered the price is right fail horn seeing as how I am Canadian. Foiled by a drop down menu!

I was thinking I could use one of my US friend's address in place of mine but I don't think it'll work since it wouldn't be an address tied to my card so I might just take it for the Steam price.

News Comments > etc., etc.
8. Re: etc., etc. Jan 4, 2013, 23:23 Wallshadows

I picked Jay Wilson because it had a much greater impact on me whereas I don't give two fucks about War Z.

While Titov and company have been lying dicks in regards to The War Z and intend to exploit the success of DayZ to cash in, it's still in the hands of the players to simply not buy in to it. Jay Wilson, on the other hand, ran one of the most sought-after franchises in gaming in to the ground and then had the audacity to tear in to Brevik for his criticism which was pretty much spot on.

News Comments > Steam Sale Encore This Weekend
16. Re: Steam Sale Encore This Weekend Jan 4, 2013, 19:13 Wallshadows

Wow, that's really heartbreaking to hear it went that low and I missed it! I'm still fairly new to GMG so I'll be sure to double down and compare on my visits to check out the sales. Actually, just checking it out now and there's a 20% off discount code so maybe if XCOM goes back on sale while that's offered, I can snag a decent deal. I don't expect it to go back on sale, but here's to hoping.

Is there any structure to their sales or do they shuffle them at random?

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2013, 19:44.

News Comments > Steam Sale Encore This Weekend
11. Re: Steam Sale Encore This Weekend Jan 4, 2013, 17:11 Wallshadows

I feel as though there is some kind of void in my current lineup of titles, especially after picking up several within the sale but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Maybe I just need a damn fine strategy game to lay in to so here's to hoping XCOM can come down a little to help pass the time until the launch of Colonial Marines.

News Comments > THQ Investors Call Shenanigans
24. Re: THQ Investors Call Shenanigans Jan 4, 2013, 13:05 Wallshadows

So when a company decides to go public, are they sent any kind of lube gift basket for all the fucking they will eventually receive?  

2009 Comments. 101 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo