Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wallshadows
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 29, 2008, 20:53
Total Comments 2672 (Senior)
User ID 50040

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Another Total War: WARHAMMER Clue?
4. Re: Another Total War: WARHAMMER Clue? Mar 10, 2015, 20:04 Wallshadows

Collector's Edition comes with a Codex Astar...oh, THAT Warhammer...  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dying Light Hard Mode & DLC Released
1. Re: Dying Light Hard Mode & DLC Released Mar 10, 2015, 20:00 Wallshadows

Even if I wanted to play it, I get a BSOD without any text about ten minutes in to playing it which only sprang up after the second update. Can play any other game just fine and my processor tops out at 46c while being Primed so I doubt it's that.

Maybe I need to show it I still love it after calling it names.

News Comments > Descent Reboot Kickstarter
8. Re: Descent Reboot Kickstarter Mar 10, 2015, 19:40 Wallshadows

I thought Interplay went kaput like three or four times and finally died some time ago? Are they just a shell company now and being dicks about their IPs?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 10, 2015, 18:02 Wallshadows

jdreyer wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 17:12:
Been 30 years since a good Thing movie came out. One of the greatest horror movies ever, so if this comes close, that's not a bad thing.

The way I see it is that the move to the digital age with CGI out the ass has essentially killed the alien/creature feature horror genre because they look like shit, the sets aren't organic, and devolve in to over-the-top closing acts to compensate for a poor story payoff.

I'm fearful of what the next Alien film will be like, even with Neil Blomkamp helming it. All I can picture are shitty looking Xenos which totally remove me from the film and make me want to cry on H.R. Giger's behalf.

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Gameplay Footage
6. Re: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Gameplay Footage Mar 10, 2015, 15:20 Wallshadows

ForgedReality wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 13:23:
I think this game has more reloading in it than any game I've ever seen. Holy crap. I swear, the guy playing reloads like every 3.7 seconds.

I generally suffer from this when I play an FPS. Even if I am only down a handful of bullets and have a ton left in my magazine, I'll always reload after an engagement. It's especially annoying when you have a heavy weapon or one with a belt/box...

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Mar 10, 2015, 11:27 Wallshadows

I'd rather be wrong about a Kotaku article than give them any sort of traffic though.  

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Mar 10, 2015, 10:44 Wallshadows

Seeing as how it's from Kotaku, it probably failed because there wasn't enough feminism and too many white men.

Or something. Am I doing this right?

News Comments > Alien Isolation 2 Hint?
1. Re: Alien Isolation 2 Hint? Mar 10, 2015, 10:34 Wallshadows

Make it so!  

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS Module Nears
18. Re: Star Citizen FPS Module Nears Mar 7, 2015, 20:34 Wallshadows

Ah! I recall seeing some posts of his once in a while when I lurked here before first signing up as well as on VE but then he just sort of disappeared. Feels like I missed out on a lot!  

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS Module Nears
16. Re: Star Citizen FPS Module Nears Mar 7, 2015, 20:14 Wallshadows

Dangerous question but how did it come to be that Derek Smart was a member of the Blues community in the first place?  

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
2. Re: Saturday Consolidation Mar 7, 2015, 16:38 Wallshadows

Get creative and put in a song by Rammstein like Reise Reise, Ich tu dir weh or Bück Dich . Comes with a dildo mic and your house burns down.

This comment was edited on Mar 7, 2015, 16:45.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Mar 6, 2015, 21:15 Wallshadows

Guild Wars 2 is back on sale for $10/15 too.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Mar 6, 2015, 21:07 Wallshadows

2.2.1 is the last version before it became bloated with a bunch of garbage. I remember when I switched over from Azureus because it was getting out of hand with 'extra features' and the same has been happening with this for a while now.

News Comments > New Overwatch Character Intros
1. Re: New Overwatch Character Intros Mar 6, 2015, 21:00 Wallshadows

I like the Tumbleweed in McCree's video when he does Deadeye. The damage seems to be weird though and melts everyone regardless of their health such as in the other video where she nukes Winston along with two others with one or two right clicks and I assume Winston is another heavy since he's a god damn Gorilla.

Tuning will be tuned.

News Comments > Hearthstone: Blackrock Mountain Next Month
1. Re: Hearthstone: Blackrock Mountain Next Month Mar 6, 2015, 20:55 Wallshadows

Also introducing, Blackrock Mountain Dew. It tastes like cherry!  

News Comments > Diablo III Launch Postmortem
42. Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 6, 2015, 16:09 Wallshadows

Darks wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 15:55:
I Really want to see you make a Video of your so called Awesome Barb and show me in a GR 40 plus taking on the GRift boss all by your lonesome self and lets see how long it takes you to kill that GRift boss.

You mean like this? Or do you mean how the lowest rank on the Solo barbarian leaderboard is 43 and that's the 1000th position? Even if he played a Wizard, a class which truly needs help, he'd still be able to do it if he was good.

What the rest of us can take away from this is that your brother who got 700 Paragon points isn't good, you're incredibly butthurt about it and this conversation debate ignorance is enough to put you on block out of fear that the next thing you say will cause my head to explode.

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2015, 16:39.

36. Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 6, 2015, 15:01 Wallshadows

Darks, I think we agree that competitive, high-end greater rifts are restricted to very specific classes so there's no need to get worked up about it and act as though we don't see that as a problem. The fact of the matter is is that if you're not a M6 Demon Hunter, Tiklandian + SMK Witch Doctor, or Final Witness Crusader, you're absolutely going to be excluded from competitive play. We all acknowledge that and I am sure we all think that it's bullshit but that's typical Blizzard balance but there comes a point where us mere mortals will not be able to achieve the level of play as others. For me, GR40 is a great group goal but there are other groups which are 60+.

All we can do RIGHT NOW is wait and see whether or not the new sets, re-purposed vanilla sets, and legendary items will allow greater build diversity for competitive play rather than repeating the garbage job they've been doing up until this point and forcing cookie cutter teams to default to the top.

In the mean time, you can either come to terms that being a Barbarian is going to limit your level of content in group play since Blizzard isn't going to do anything about it till 2.2 (hopefully) -OR- you can take 30 minutes with the proper gear, T6 and a friend (or good guy redditor) to reroll a new character that is capable of achieving higher content if that is what you want.

...or quit. I've pretty much run out of juice at this point because the builds I like aren't considered optimal like my Triple Tornado WW Barbarian or the always entertaining Grinning Reaver WD which struggle.

20. Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 6, 2015, 12:12 Wallshadows

All I really remember about it was a total lack of map variations which forced an excessive amount of repetition. You had a subway map, a town map, and a slums map and that's about it until later levels.

Oh, and people getting their panties in a bunch because it had advertising where you would typically see advertising: on billboards.

12. Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 6, 2015, 11:00 Wallshadows

Darks wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 09:48:
Speaking of the Barbarian, its out right shameful how Blizz has destroyed this once beloved character. Cant DPS for shit, and his survivabilty on the front line is disgusting compared to the other classes. And Blizz for some odd reason refuses to fix the Barb.

And please don't tell me otherwise, I play with my Brother who plays this game non stop and is well over level 700 on the paragon levels. And we see it all the time, no one wants to take Barbs on the Greater Rift runs over level 35.

For competitive play, the Barbarian is probably the most restricted class in the game which truly is awful. I made a Triple Tornado Physical Whirlwind build and it generally tops out mid to high 30s in some decent gear but it quickly loses steam beyond that in greater rifts and yields to Vile Chargers.

If I were to guess, Chargers aren't taken in to groups at higher difficulties because they have the unfortunate combination of being melee and low toughness. Since you have to charge more with more players, you're exposing yourself to further chances of being killed. On top of that, their control mechanic is somewhat of an annoyance in that they are constantly pulling the group out of and away from any potential AOE rather than keeping them in place. It's kind of like Jade Harvesters. They can pack a fucking punch but once they lose that ability to one shot or two shot mobs, they become a liability to the group since they are prone to dying at higher levels since they are required to get right in to melee to set off Soul Harvest. Risk outweighs the rewards.

It mostly boils down to range >>>>>> melee as far as DPS is concerned. Melee are there to support range and Barbarians fall to the wayside in group play simply due to other classes being capable of providing more support, more damage, with less risk.

7. Re: Diablo III Launch Postmortem Mar 6, 2015, 10:18 Wallshadows

InBlack wrote on Mar 6, 2015, 09:58:
Ok, just of the top of my head: art direction, art assets (mostly NPCs and certain mobs), cartoon PG13 story, no pentagrams, BOA, no PvP, simplified loot mechanics, simplified stats, skill tree (as already mentioned), etc. etc. etc.

Need I go on?

I would argue that skill trees in ARPGs are essential and shouldn't be used or compared as a strict MMO feature. However, something can be said about the skill tree we had in Diablo 2 and POE as compared to the one we have in Diablo 3 which feels and looks like a more drawn out version used in Warcraft.

To expand on the list though, I would include cooldown-based combat, an easily obtainable level cap, and not just simplified stats but the fact that there are zero character stats to allocate to further build and fine-tune your character. I think there's something to be said about the constant stream of (mediocre) balance but that can be debated.

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2015, 10:42.

2672 Comments. 134 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo