Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ... ..

Real Name ... ..   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname swaaye
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 19, 2008, 01:54
Total Comments 200 (Novice)
User ID 49717

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > Volition Would Kill to Make FreeSpace 3
62. Re: Volition Would Feb 14, 2011, 21:48 swaaye

Wildone wrote on Feb 11, 2011, 22:56:
X Wing Alliance SUCKED, thats why it bombed in sales. Iwar2 was technically awesome but they dropped the ball on some aspects of it. I was a fan of both those franchises and was dissapointed with both. They where just not done to their full potential, doesn't mean people like me would'nt jump at the chance of a well done next gen space combat sim.

I kinda liked XWA but it sure didn't fulfill its potential... It kinda transformed into a shitty X-Wing remake as the campaign progressed. The freighter captain and family stuff was somewhat interesting though.

I would love a new game like that too but nobody seems to be able to make one that doesn't blow. The Eastern Europe guys that keep trying fail utterly everytime. The X games are just pointless space spreadsheets. And the big mods never get polished enough....

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Paxton Fettel Playable Solo in F.E.A.R. 3
13. Re: Paxton Fettel Playable Solo in F.E.A.R. 3 Feb 14, 2011, 21:40 swaaye

I was pondering Monolith the other day. This company used to make such varied stuff.

But now they've been making FEAR and Condemned crap since what, maybe 2003? FEAR must have been in development for a few years. So we're looking at 9 years maybe of this mediocre "scary" corridor shooter stuff?

News Comments > Crytek on the Crysis 2 Leak and PC Gaming
64. Re: Crytek on the Crysis 2 Leak and PC Gaming Feb 14, 2011, 21:28 swaaye

The problem is not consoles vs. PC. The problem is the way the industry has grown and wants to sell its games to millions of people instead of say 300,000 like in the '90s. When you target millions of people, you do things differently, particularly when your budget is now $20-30 million instead of $1 million like the yonder years. And what's even more "interesting" is that what's coming out today is really an evolution of what they think worked with other recent million sellers. The real kicker is they are probably spot on to go after the mega huge CoD / Halo crowd. They mean more for moola than some bitchy UT99 / Half Life 1 nostalgia sufferers like us.

The blame really lies on our species. Not very many people out there have the brain power or desire to play complex games for hundreds of hours. And there's the budget factor and the way it costs ten times more to build content today, and how this has increased the control of the investors (the people who foot the bill).

And seriously are there people on here who have no love for consoles at all? Are there people here that truly hate SNES, Dreamcast, N64, PS1, PS2, Xbox, Saturn, etc, etc? I think the game industry would be a hell of a lot interesting without them.

Instead of bitching and moaning about Crytek / EA wanting to get mega rich (or at least do more than break even this time), go read about that strange RPG/FPS E.Y.E indie game that's coming.

This comment was edited on Feb 14, 2011, 21:36.

News Comments > Black Swan Composer Scoring Mass Effect 3
10. Re: Black Swan Composer Scoring Mass Effect 3 Feb 11, 2011, 14:23 swaaye

I'll have to check Moon out again because I can't remember what the music was like. I watched that almost a year ago.  

News Comments > Black Swan Composer Scoring Mass Effect 3
8. Re: Black Swan Composer Scoring Mass Effect 3 Feb 11, 2011, 14:20 swaaye

It must be a publicity move because I thought Jack Wall did a fantastic job with the series so far.  

News Comments > Volition Would Kill to Make FreeSpace 3
59. Re: Volition Would Feb 9, 2011, 15:39 swaaye

So Iwar2, FS2 and probably X-Wing Alliance too bombed in sales. Maybe Wing Commander Prophecy as well considering that was the end of the line there.

I'm just not sure that I can see today's market getting too excited about this kind of thing. It was never a big console genre. Space shooters are more part of the also-dead simulation genre and this only worked on PC.

There are console space shooters like Colony Wars, the Starfighter series, Rogue Squadron, etc. They tried to make these console friendly but I never got the impression that they caught on in a big way. Factor 5 imploded trying to make the genre work.

News Comments > The Rise and Fall of Interplay
11. Re: The Rise and Fall of Interplay Feb 3, 2011, 02:08 swaaye

Rigs wrote on Feb 1, 2011, 09:54:
]There are two things in my history of playing games that I will never forget or forgive - one was KA and the other was Babylon5: Into The Fire...

Really the way KA ended up was a result of the complete failure of its butchered predecessor, SFA. The two games share a lot of tech and have most of the same gameplay issues. I don't really believe that patching would have improved KA much because the engine itself should have been completely overhauled instead of "enhanced" as it was.

At least they managed to get it running above 640x480. KA damn near came locked to that resolution but one of their programmers got resolution scaling hacked in towards the end.

The Star Trek games pretty much bombed for them too as far as I could tell. SFC was somewhat successful but I think that was about it. SFA must have been a real disaster I think. KA seemed to be a sort of "get more ROI" quickie project that still had delays and issues. Uhg. And lets not discuss STNW! Yikes!

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2011, 02:19.

News Comments > The Rise and Fall of Interplay
6. Re: The Rise and Fall of Interplay Jan 31, 2011, 23:45 swaaye

They made a bunch of games that didn't sell well, basically. Especially at the end of the '90s...... Some were pretty wacky and creative, but some were total garbage (ST New Worlds!!!).  

News Comments > Pete Hines Interview
16. Re: Pete Hines Interview Jan 26, 2011, 18:16 swaaye

StingingVelvet wrote on Jan 26, 2011, 16:12:
The reason Oblivion is simpleton shit is mostly the writing, quest design and lack of any choice and consequence what-so-ever. It's made to accommodate people who just want to run around whacking stuff and not think about anything, who... gasp... are simpletons (at least when it comes to playing games). I didn't call you a simpleton, I just said you enjoyed Oblivion which is made for simpletons, i.e. simpleton shit.

Well I'm sure somebody would like to argue with you on that, but I won't. Oblivion is a disturbingly normalized experience, designed for ease and the ability to see everything in a single play through. And a lot of it is curiously designed, if not broken.

I'm not much of a fantasy buff so I don't pay much attention to the stories of fantasy games. I am mostly interested in the sandbox, open world gameplay and interaction with the world. So I won't comment on the value of the storyline or the lore.

But this is really par for the course at Bethesda. I've never played a game from them that hasn't been riddled with quirks, regardless of how high of a rosy pedestal you want to put TES 2 and 3 on.

I wouldn't recommend holding your breath on Skyrim. I definitely would avoid all previews because those guys spew more bullshit than just about any other game company. I really just hope they try to refine and not reinvent because that would probably turn out best...

News Comments > Pete Hines Interview
9. Re: Pete Hines Interview Jan 26, 2011, 15:37 swaaye

StingingVelvet wrote on Jan 26, 2011, 14:00:

I know Oblivion wasn't an RPG, but Daggerfall and Morrowind were. I would like them to return to that, rather than make Oblivion another hack n' slash game with dialogue written by a 4th grader.

If you like that simpleton shit though then have at it, I don't see what is "stupid" about that. Everyone likes different stuff, some people even like the new Transformers movies, one assumes.
Like Daggerfall and Morrowing weren't both horribly flawed. Give me a break. Hell, Daggerfall is a disaster zone in tons of ways.

Do you really consider more hands on realtime combat as "simpleton shit"? You'd rather have the ultra fakey Morrowind style stuff? I hope Skyrim takes what Oblivion did to a new level of refinement. Give me more Dark Messiah-style combat and less dice roll stuff any day.

But since Skyrim is supposed to be an "RPG", I'm sure I'll be pumping 80 arrows into some guy's head yet again.

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 2011, 15:42.

News Comments > Test Drive Unlimited 2 Trailer
4. Re: Test Drive Unlimited 2 Trailer Jan 26, 2011, 00:59 swaaye

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 25, 2011, 13:51:
Test Drive 4 was the first and last title I've played in the series.

TDU was by far the best game of the entire series, even with its flaws. But I'm not sure this new game is going to be better-enough to get me excited.

News Comments > More Games to Use the Skyrim Engine
20. Re: More Games to Use the Skyrim Engine Jan 26, 2011, 00:57 swaaye

I think Gamebryo gets too much flak and Bethesda's programmers not enough. That engine is pretty flexible and has been used for a wide range of games.

But still Oblivion and Fallout 3 are definitely the most stable Bethesda games in their history. Morrowind basically didn't work until after a few patches and most of their older games never worked right.

baltar wrote on Jan 25, 2011, 15:32:
Screw all this noise we need a sequel to Terminator Future Shock and Skynet. Get to it Bethesda!

Hell yeah.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 2
22. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 2 Jan 26, 2011, 00:50 swaaye

The AA thing is really the developer's responsibility though.

I'm thinking the game engine must be rather similar to the original, meaning it's a DirectX 9 deferred renderer which usually means it's impossible to support AA. Somehow NV and ATI hack it in these games sometimes though (usually there are quirks however like blur).

Basically the developer doesn't care about AA and is perhaps using very obsolete technology. And obviously two of the game's platforms can't handle it anyway so why bother I guess. Yippee.

News Comments > Dead Space 2 Trailer Blowout [Updated]
11. Re: Dead Space 2 Trailer Blowout [Updated] Jan 20, 2011, 18:29 swaaye

I'd pay $30 for DS2. I only got about halfway through the first game before I was bored with the gameplay. But I'm a sucker for sci-fi stuff.  

News Comments > [Hexen] Serpent: Resurrection
4. Re: [Hexen] Serpent: Resurrection Oct 8, 2010, 19:29 swaaye

Dark Messiah reminded me of these games. Loved it too.  

News Comments > Wing Commander DOSBox Rerelease?
24. Re: Wing Commander DOSBox Rerelease? Sep 29, 2010, 15:37 swaaye

I'd like to see the entire Origin library on GoG.

I doubt that I'd buy much of it, because I already own a lot of the games, but it would be nice to see the games getting some attention again.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
14. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 16, 2010, 17:34 swaaye

Saying it will last only helps them. I remember when Nintendo said the NES wasn't dead even when the SNES was around. Companies usually don't burn bridges.

I don't know if it could do another 5 years. I don't know if that matters either way to the average console gamer. They probably just take whatever gets spoon fed to them.

I think it really depends on what the competition is up to. Since the money is in the software and the services, not the hardware, I'm sure that they would love to see 360 last forever.

News Comments > More On StarCraft II Sales
7. Re: More On StarCraft II Sales Aug 18, 2010, 23:20 swaaye

It is just insane how many people flocked out to buy this game.  

News Comments > Kotick: Audience "Clamoring" for Subscription CoD
100. Re: Kotick: Audience "Clamoring" for Subscription CoD Jun 21, 2010, 19:58 swaaye

What if you only played the first CoD and that's it?  

News Comments > Mass Effect/Mass Effect 2 Sale
29. Re: Jun 20, 2010, 16:32 swaaye

It does. And it sucks that non-USA folks get rammed up the ass.

But I do like it when Steam sells 3 month old games for $15 sometimes. I don't buy new releases anymore because I've caught on. Well, that and "new" releases feel more and more like rehashes these days.

I'm waiting for ME2 to be $9.99 like the other guy here said.

200 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo