Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ... ..

Real Name ... ..   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname swaaye
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 19, 2008, 01:54
Total Comments 203 (Novice)
User ID 49717

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

News Comments > GameFly's Direct2Drive Buy Confirmed, PC Game Rentals Possible?
16. Re: GameFly's Direct2Drive Buy Confirmed, PC Game Rentals Possible? May 26, 2011, 13:28 swaaye

Anyone try Onlive? I had Metro 2033 playing on my shitty 900 MHz Celeron M netbook. That was rather astonishing. It worked fine and even the lag was bearable.

That's PC game rental right there and zero configuration or installation headaches.

There are two interesting aspects to this for notebooks. You have much lower power usage (battery life) and much less heat production. No 100C gamer notebook GPU BBQ.

Of course they aren't exactly free.

This comment was edited on May 26, 2011, 13:34.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Levine on the Possibility of a BioShock Movie
13. Re: Levine on the Possibility of a BioShock Movie May 26, 2011, 13:23 swaaye

Bioshock's ultra linear nature would work well for a movie. And yeah the setting would be fun to see. Obviously the end result would be ultra cheesy but I don't care.  

News Comments > Command & Conquer Suggestions Sought
27. Re: I have a suggestion: Balance May 18, 2011, 23:39 swaaye

Rhett wrote on May 18, 2011, 17:22:
Give it back to Westwood/Petroglyph.

I added my two cents...
Westwood no longer exists and few of the C&C people work at Petro. But hey Frank Klepacki is there and maybe that's all that matters?

News Comments > AvP Sequel Downplayed
26. Re: AvP Sequel Downplayed May 14, 2011, 16:50 swaaye

AVP2 is pretty clunky and the aliens are way way too fast for me. I can't even get a bead on them most of the time because they move so stupid fast.

But I like the game's atmosphere and the extensive singleplayer. Good stuff there.

AVP 2010 had really small maps and was very short. Those were my biggest gripes. It was super linear and confining.

The PC AVP from '00 is my least favorite of them all though. Like somebody else said, it's simplistic and rather incoherent in some ways. Ugly game for the time too. It's super dark and this makes it moody and that's what people seem to like most. The Steam re-release works very well if anyone wants to play it again.

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Apr 19, 2011, 16:04 swaaye

Personally I find the musthavenow preorder mentality sad and if such people fall for this kind of marketing then it's their own fault entirely. Gimme a break. Valve won and that's most of what Valve and Big Gabe want.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer
16. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer Apr 16, 2011, 21:52 swaaye

If you don't bitch and moan without restraint, you aren't welcome here at Blue's. We and VE3D should have a picnic someday because they're just like us too. Shacknews guys are welcome as well.

I'm still hoping for the best with this game. I need some cyberpunk. I wish we'd get some over the top '90s super colorfest cyberpunk with modern DX11 graphics tech. That would be sweet. But it's probably just too damn colorful for today's black, brown, dirty orange and dark green trend.

Hey did you guys know that in 2006 a company was making a new Crusader game for PSP? Look that shit up on Youtube. They even had Andrew Sega whip up a new theme song for it. Crusader - No Pity. Of course it was canned.

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2011, 21:57.

News Comments > DiRT 3 Group B Rally Trailer
12. Re: DiRT 3 Group B Rally Trailer Mar 31, 2011, 16:37 swaaye

Oh dearz, I saw snow. Will have to buy now.  

News Comments > Silicon Knights vs Epic Proceeds
3. Re: Silicon Knights vs Epic Proceeds Mar 31, 2011, 16:34 swaaye

I think that, should Epic lose, they should be coerced into making a single player Unreal 3. Can that Gears of War shit.  

News Comments > Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City Confirmed
9. Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City Confirmed Mar 29, 2011, 14:18 swaaye

I found the original 5(?) RE games, however many sequels and remakes there finally were, quite cheesy and boring frankly. RE4 was pretty awesome after all that but RE5 just didn't do anything for me and I haven't finished it. The rail shooters that they've also come up with in the meantime need to go away for sure.

I'm not sure what direction they should go in but I don't think I'll be buying something that looks too similar to RE5.

News Comments > AMD/DirectX Follow-up
10. Re: AMD/DirectX Follow-up Mar 27, 2011, 17:47 swaaye

No, MS made DirectX for two reasons. 1) To be able to completely control their own API 2) to make Windows the #1 PC gaming platform and strengthen their hold on the market.

DirectX then went on to allow the Xbox consoles and PC to have essentially interoperable development. This of course is allowing MS to diversify into consumer electronics and dominate it too. That it ties in with their Windows dominance is just more icing on the cake. Quite the web they've weaved.

OpenGL's ARB couldn't make decisions fast enough. They simply can't get things done as well as MS can apparently. MS has completely outpaced them. Part of this is that OpenGL is/was primarily for engineering / modeling apps which have much different needs than games so there is conflict and indecision there.

Now on the other hand DirectX makes life a lot easier for game companies who want to release multiplatform games on PC and 360. Although it is proprietary MS technology the way it works out as separate from the hardware companies has made it generally beneficial for it to be dominant. You do not want any graphics company to have total API control because they will use it as a competitive advantage and everyone loses in that case other than the hardware company who's winning.

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2011, 17:53.

News Comments > On PC Deus Ex: Human Revolution
36. Re: On PC Deus Ex: Human Revolution Mar 24, 2011, 13:36 swaaye

I really think that blaming consoles is mostly wrong. The biggest problem with consoles is that they have a limited control scheme but that is their only major gameplay disadvantage these days.

No I think that the various "accessibility" enhancements and simplifications being done to modern game sequels and such are just to try to appeal to the largest possible audience so they can sell enough to break even on their game that cost $10-20 million to make. That's the real deal. And the cause of this is ever prettier graphics.

I also think that some of the simplification techniques are not seen as dumbing down by developers. I think it's a bit of group think going on and that some of these game mechanics are actually preferred and expected.

Jumping at the opportunity to bitch about consoles just shows that a person hasn't really thought out why things happen in the game industry.

News Comments > Call of Pripyat Complete
9. Re: Call of Pripyat Complete Mar 14, 2011, 16:07 swaaye

So far I've definitely noticed the new UI and improved gun sighting. There are a lot of other things beyond visuals but they aren't immediately apparent. They put a lot of work into sound and music, for example.  

News Comments > Dead Space 2 Patch
11. Re: Dead Space 2 Patch Feb 27, 2011, 14:14 swaaye

Well there's certainly not much that's "relatively non-linear" about either Dead Space game.

Anyway, I think how they voiced Clarke is additionally annoying because they having him cursing too much and he tends to get vocally awestruck/surprised too often (they are trying to force feelings onto the player). Immersion isn't something that I've felt in DS2 at all really. They try too hard and there's a lot of obvious and annoying scripting.

News Comments > Dead Space 2 Patch
9. Re: Dead Space 2 Patch Feb 26, 2011, 16:52 swaaye

the_culture wrote on Feb 25, 2011, 20:27:
As much as I'm enjoying the game, the story absolutely sucks. And giving Clarke a face and voice has been a step backwards. But the environments and "set pieces" are on a bigger scale - which I love - and the ability to maneuver around freely in zero-gav is nice too.
I agree with ya. They killed off a lot of the atmosphere in this game I think. Actually the game feels a bit like Bioshock in some ways and that's not good IMO.

News Comments > Why There's No Bulletstorm Co-op
55. Re: Why There's No Bulletstorm Co-op Feb 22, 2011, 16:36 swaaye

How can People Can Fly make yet another game of this kind without coop? Painkiller needed it so badly...  

News Comments > New Command & Conquer Game Plans
15. Re: New Command & Conquer Game Plans Feb 22, 2011, 16:33 swaaye

I've played Generals but back then I was completely enamored with Total Annihilation and the mods/maps for it. I didn't feel that Generals was as exciting. I know a lot of people loved Generals though.  

12. Re: New Command & Conquer Game Plans Feb 21, 2011, 21:52 swaaye

What was the last really good C&C game? It was probably made by Westwood, and sometime before the franchise was milked beyond belief with sequel after sequel.

I think the only one I really liked was the original lol. Tiberian Sun was ok too but some of the missions were bullshit. Loved the darker tone though. After that my eyes glazed over because they didn't evolve the series much at all. C&C3 was yet more of the same but didn't have Klepacki's music. C&C4 looked like more but simpler, which I didn't realize they could do with a C&C lol.

8. Re: New Command & Conquer Game Plans Feb 21, 2011, 17:00 swaaye

Jerykk wrote on Feb 21, 2011, 16:10:
Didn't EA say something about making the series more casual or something? Like MS is doing with AoE?
C&C already was a casual strategy game. RTS came along as a casual re-imagining of turn based wargames. C&C is as basic as they come pretty much. Of course some RTS games created their own identity and came up with ways to be quite intricate and complex.

C&C4 was, well, I don't know what to call it. It was sort of a new genre in a way... lol.

News Comments > New LucasArts Creative Director
14. Re: New LucasArts Creative Director Feb 17, 2011, 22:42 swaaye

Hey now I could go for a new Jedi Knight game maybe...  

News Comments > Crysis 2 Demo March 1
15. Re: Crysis 2 Demo March 1 Feb 16, 2011, 13:14 swaaye

I think it should be an Impulse exclusive.  

203 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo