Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ... ..

Real Name ... ..   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname swaaye
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 19, 2008, 01:54
Total Comments 204 (Novice)
User ID 49717

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

News Comments > GSC/S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Statement Monday
45. Re: GSC/S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Statement Monday Dec 11, 2011, 17:51 swaaye

I like a high FOV in UT. I usually would run 90-100* there. Otherwise I tend to go for lower. I run Skyrim at 80-85 on my 16:9 monitor.

FOV sensitivity also depends on what monitor you're using though. I know there are some people still using 4:3 CRTs and games frequently look a hell of a lot different on those than a 16:9/10 screen for various reasons. Not all developers adjust FOV in the same way at different resolutions, etc. Some games are curiously designed in that you see considerably less on a big widescreen display than a 4:3/5:4 monitor.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: GSC/S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Statement Monday Dec 10, 2011, 23:51 swaaye

Yes a narrow FOV can cause motion sickness, particularly on desktop PC setups and if view bob is also present. View bob is perhaps the biggest cause of that though I think. STALKER has a pretty extreme view bob (might as well call it a swagger) in fact in its stock form.  

29. Re: GSC/S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Statement Monday Dec 10, 2011, 23:39 swaaye

I thought Metro 2033 was essentially like taking one of STALKER's indoor missions and turning it into a whole game. Call of Pripyat has a few areas with subways/trains.

STALKER is more about roaming outdoor areas and just occasionally going into creepy enclosed indoor places. It's the antithesis of the linear corridor shooter. Of course, the storyline is still linear but that's how stories work generally. STALKER is like a sci-fi Elder Scrolls game without RPG stuff.

News Comments > New ATI Catalyst Performance Drivers
23. Re: New ATI Catalyst Performance Drivers Dec 2, 2011, 19:13 swaaye

DedEye wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 23:54:
Seems to work pretty good in Skyrim, so far at least.

I tried Skyrim on a X1950XTX and it worked 95% fine on the last drivers available for the card, Catalyst 10.2. There were some flickering textures but it was pretty minor really. Skyrim is essentially a hopped up Oblivion Gamebryo engine so this isn't too surprising.

RAGE, on the other hand, well they just got that game working well last week AFAIK. More than a month long crusade of embarrassment there.

News Comments > StarDrive Announced
4. Re: StarDrive Announced Dec 2, 2011, 02:08 swaaye

the_culture wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 22:43:
Yeah, it does sound good. But when is someone going to make another Starflight?!??!?!?

How about a new Lightspeed/Hyperspeed/Star Control. Something first person like the X games but all about exploration and war/alliances.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Early Access Demo in January
15. Re: Mass Effect 3 Early Access Demo in January Oct 22, 2011, 18:20 swaaye

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 21, 2011, 12:39:
The ghost of Blue Hair told me that EA would anally defile me if I gave in to its silky smooth temptations.

If you install Origins, and listen very carefully, you can hear Spirit and Angel screaming in agony.
The truth. Unfortunately most of today's kiddies have no idea what you're talking about.

News Comments > id On RAGE "Cluster!@#$" and Lead Platforms
31. Re: id On RAGE Oct 7, 2011, 23:18 swaaye

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 23:11:
It's id's job to ensure that their brand new engine works properly and if that requires special driver considerations, it's their responsibility to contact NVIDIA and ATI and get that done before the game comes out. If they called these companies and said "John Carmack would like to talk to you to make sure id Tech 5 works with your cards", they'd probably have their lead drivers engineers on the phone with him instantly.

My understanding is id Software was in contact with AMD months ago and they did work things out but then AMD fucked up and didn't deliver. NVIDIA drivers work fine, even older ones. JC actually spoke somewhat about the AMD efforts during his super long sit down talk at Quakecon.

This isn't even anything new with AMD/ATI. They have some sort of total lack of interest in being aggressive with their OpenGL devel. NVIDIA owns them in the professional world because of it and occasionally we see it rear its head in gaming. It probably doesn't help that there is major upheaval over there and they seem to be slowly imploding on every front.

News Comments > id On RAGE "Cluster!@#$" and Lead Platforms
30. Re: id On RAGE Oct 7, 2011, 23:16 swaaye

Fortunately I have both a recent Radeon and a GeForce in the house. The game doesn't run so hot on the Radeon and it also tends to be unstable. The GTX 560 on the other hand really runs it very well and is bulletproof.

And I do like the game. It's not some mind blowing genre bending transcendental experience but it is a good time.

News Comments > More on RAGE Tweaking
24. Re: More on RAGE Tweaking Oct 6, 2011, 23:10 swaaye

I love how people come to bitch about having quicksave/quickload and other people come to bitch when there are checkpoints, and some come to bitch when there are obvious checkpoints or not enough checkpoints.

But hey if people aren't bitching, you've clearly done something very wrong because you must be being ignored.

The megatexture tech is certainly controversial but you guys are blind if you don't see the advantage to having artists be able to paint whatever the hell they want instead of tiling duplicate textures. The game looks like a friggin matte painting half of the time. The problem is that we don't have enough RAM to run their full resolution work. Or game distribution methods to get that terabyte of data to us for that matter. Just tweaking what we got here will fill up a 1.5 TB card's RAM and cause endless bitching about a ~22GB Steam download.

This comment was edited on Oct 6, 2011, 23:19.

News Comments > Rumored Syndicate Details Promise a "Visceral FPS Experience"
40. Re: Rumored Syndicate Details Promise a "Visceral FPS Experience" Sep 11, 2011, 22:33 swaaye

Hey if Starbreeze is making it there's a chance it could end up quite entertaining. Although I have to say that Dark Athena fell apart towards the end. But I'm always up for a new cyberpunk first person game, especially if it may have some interesting RPG elements.

Regarding the tangential X-Com bitching, the catch there is that all of those games have been shit since Terror from the Deep. Even TftD wasn't super awesome so the original is really the only purely excellent game in the whole series! Enforcer and Interceptor were already shooters and not so great. Maybe the new game will at least be better than those. Anyway, there have been a ton of X-Com tact-strat clones so go get your fix there if the DOS games aren't doing it for you anymore.

News Comments > Origin Boasts 4M Client Installs; Promises Third-Party Content "Very Soon"
33. Re: Origin Boasts 4M Client Installs; Promises Third-Party Content Sep 10, 2011, 23:44 swaaye

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 10, 2011, 14:15:
Yea, we need more!!!!! ugh.

Microsoft has their little marketplace too. Oh and Best Buy has some sort of game download service too.

News Comments > New Doom64 EX
8. Re: New Doom64 EX Sep 2, 2011, 15:33 swaaye

It's sort of Quake 1 meets Doom. It's darker and there is no rockin' soundtrack. It's more about the horror element. And yeah the art is quite different and there is some cool lighting / fog in some maps. I think it's the most interesting of the console Doom ports.  

News Comments > Portal 2 PC Outsells Consoles
13. Re: Portal 2 PC Outsells Consoles Aug 30, 2011, 17:36 swaaye

My guess is that this means that L4D is the more successful franchise for them.  

News Comments > Redheaded Fem Shep for Mass Effect 3
1. Re: Redheaded Fem Shep for Mass Effect 3 Aug 28, 2011, 14:37 swaaye

Wasn't this always one of the presets? I seem to recall that. Red hair green eyes.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution "Special Message" Tomorrow
3. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Aug 28, 2011, 14:34 swaaye

I agree. This game is one hell of a surprise. Eidos Montreal is a company to watch.  

News Comments > Rambo Game Plans
5. Re: Rambo Game Plans Aug 4, 2011, 12:54 swaaye

G-Snake wrote on Aug 4, 2011, 12:42:
Get ready for yet another movie-inspired terrible console-port for an overpriced game that will likely play like Delta Force 2, but with a clunky, broken 3rd person camera...
Wow I am quivering with thrill and stuff here.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 28, 2011, 13:17 swaaye

sauron wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 12:55:
I don't use it for games, but a lot of folks seem to get PSX emulator then play FFIX/MGS on these things (or N64 and Mario or Ocarina of Time).
I've tried PS1 and N64 on my tablet but when you have that many buttons and 3D worlds, the touchscreen becomes quite the impediment.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Interview
3. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Interview Jul 8, 2011, 23:21 swaaye

I'm not really overwhelmingly concerned about the latest fantasy tale, but I am interested in whether they've managed to bring more life to their world with this iteration. Oblivion was a hell of a lot more interesting than Morrowind in that respect and I hope for another jump with Skyrim.

I don't terribly want to read their PR though so I'm going to just wait and see what the end product actually provides.

News Comments > Crysis 2 Patch [Updated]
4. Re: Crysis 2 DirectX 11 Patch Jun 2, 2011, 00:12 swaaye

It entertains me that some people actually get an ego trip cheating in online shooters. It must make them feel so powerful. lol  

News Comments > Sound Core3D Announced
30. Re: Sound Core3D Announced May 31, 2011, 17:12 swaaye

If you have a Realtek onboard audio chip you can get yourself the hacked X-Fi MB software and have all of their features and up to EAX4 for your old games.

I have a bunch of Creative stuff around. I have an X-Fi Titanium for my TVPC because I like its speaker upmixing capabilities (2->5.1 channel). These cards also do absolutely superb headphone downmixing for gaming.

Creative drivers have never really given me much grief. Hell I even have Audigy cards working perfectly with Windows 7 x64 thanks to that Daniel_k guy who whipped Creative into shape.

204 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo