Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ... ..

Real Name ... ..   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname swaaye
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 19, 2008, 01:54
Total Comments 202 (Novice)
User ID 49717

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

News Comments > Aliens RPG Axed?
21. Re: I'll be the asshole.. Feb 13, 2009, 00:47 swaaye

Ya. Star Wars fighter = Masters of Teras Kasi for PS1. And it sucked apparently, believe it or not.

I was curious about this game though. Damn there are so few games I'm looking forward to these days.

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2009, 00:48.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > F.E.A.R. 2 on Steam
15. Re: F.E.A.R. 2 on Steam Feb 13, 2009, 00:43 swaaye

The first game was a bore. Damn, I wish I could've skipped the entire middle portion of the last game and just played the beginning and end. I won't touch this "sequel" until it's a $15 store special.

Dead Space? That game was as original as this year's CoD sequel. lol. Dead Space was a combination of elements from about 4 classic horror games that maybe most people are too young to remember (shit I hope not.) I really didn't dig Dead Space that much. It wasn't scary cuz it was 3rd person and you were a man tank with wicked industrial tools gone weapon catalog. It was so fucking easy (where to go next button!) and obvious (oh gosh only one door opens at a time!!) that I just got bored with this one too. I must be too old or some such nonsense.

If you want psychological scares, go with Penumbra Black Plague for your modern fix.

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2009, 00:52.

News Comments > Dead Space Postmortem
16. Re: Dead Space Postmortem Jan 15, 2009, 19:56 swaaye

I played the PC version both with the kb/mouse combo and with a 360-for-pc pad. Both worked fine. Lots of whiney bitchy people here at Blue's.

My problem with the game is that it was not particularly interesting. It ripped off of so many other games and combined it all into a overly action-ridden package that got me bored halfway though. It wasn't scary. It wasn't all that immersive. It was amazingly linear and easy. Kinda lame overall in the end I thought.

If I had never played Doom3, System Shock 2, Resident Evil 4, Eternal Darkness, or Bioshock, then I suppose I would've been enthralled by it. That's not really the case though so been there done that.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2009, 19:59.

News Comments > Jeff Green on 1Up/UGO
24. Re: Jeff Green on 1Up & UGO Jan 7, 2009, 21:51 swaaye

I know I'm hopelessly old school, but the gaming journalism of the '90s was just unbelievably better than anything I've seen since probably 2002. CGW was an incredible game industry nexus back then. I mean those guys had legendary game designers write articles for them way back when. And those amazing 500 page mega issues of the mid '90s were just geek buffets of bliss. I will never forget reading a review of Falcon 4 that was written by a real F16 pilot! How can you beat that?!

Of course, PC Gamer was a great rag too back then. There were lots of professionally-written mags back in those days. I've had subscriptions to bunches of mags over the years but I had CGW from like 1995 to the end.

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2009, 21:52.

News Comments > Need for Speed in Trouble?
44. Re: Need for Speed in Trouble? Dec 15, 2008, 01:23 swaaye

I'm a NFS 1,3,4 guy. Skipped NFS2. NFS:PU seemed too specialized. Underground and later just totally turned me off because I am not at all impressed with ricers and urban street racing....

Like plenty of others here, I really liked NFS as an arcade racing game packed with exotic cars and fantasy tracks. Cops optional.

Gonna check out GRID after seeing the comments here. Over the past few years, I've been into Forza, DIRT, Test Drive Unlimited, and Rallisport Challenge 2. Played a bunch of NFS3 & 4 recently too actually.

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 2008, 01:24.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 27, 2008, 02:36 swaaye

I think those tweak guides are around because they, well, just are. The "tweaks" within most of them are frequently useless too (placebo tweakage). They certainly aren't new either - usenet FAQs from 15 years ago ring a bell.

Video games push the hardware to the limit because they are technology-driven. Some games are going after the special Intel Integrated market though, that's for sure. On the other side you have games like Crysis and SupCom that make quad cores and monster GPUs weep. I, for one, am very thankful to have the variety.

This comment was edited on Nov 27, 2008, 02:41.

News Comments > PCGA Slaps LucasArts
34. Re: PCGA Slaps LucasArts Oct 20, 2008, 18:52 swaaye

BTW, I too love the SNES Star Wars Trilogy. Lightsaber dueling with Vader in Super ESB just made be uber giddy. And the cool use of Mode 7 for the vehicle stages (Battle of Hoth, etc) was sweet stuff back then.

The modern gamer's fanatical devotion to graphics and physics plays right into the wishes of the hardware developers. Gamers want--and deserve--exactly what they're getting.

It has always been about the technology as much as the gameplay and story. Always. And plenty of great stuff has been made regardless. It's all about experiencing another world interactively and there is always the desire to see it fleshed out better than before. You think Fallout would've been popular in 1997 if it had looked like a NES game? Or Deus Ex if it had used the Quake 1 engine? Most of the classics were close to state-of-the-art when they came out.

It's an evolving medium in every way, and that of course can mean that all aspects don't go in the way one would personally hope. And since it's software development, the "planets" don't always align to allow everything to go well during development...

The modern problem is the cost and manpower needed to make games that keep up in the tech arms race. Game quality is super subjective anyway.
This comment was edited on Oct 20, 2008, 19:04.

News Comments > Dead Space PC Controls Nerfed?
3. Re: No subject Oct 19, 2008, 14:02 swaaye

Hopefully I can just plug in my 360 controller and not have to worry about it....

You know, I have one of those for PC myself. It is a great gamepad but I was very, very disappointed when I discovered that the vibe doesn't work in any older games because they don't support DirectInput style force feedback.

News Comments > PCGA Slaps LucasArts
1. No subject Oct 19, 2008, 13:59 swaaye

The game is meant for consoles. Not only is it relatively unamazing in every way, the gameplay reminds me of the SNES Star Wars trilogy. It is an arcade sidescroller gone 3D. The game would've been better as a sidescroller.

Thankfully I don't personally own this overblown stinker.

News Comments > On Rage Multithreading
22. Re: No subject Aug 24, 2008, 04:06 swaaye

You can tell that these multicore CPUs are not what the programmers dreamed of having to deal with. Processes just to manage processes, yada yada. Extra inefficiencies galore, validation nightmares, etc.

News Comments > id CEO: Piracy PC's "Hidden Benefit"
56. Re: Yeah ok Todd. Aug 23, 2008, 03:05 swaaye

I find it amusing that so many folks don't see it as Todd says it here. I know people who live exactly like he says. Buy the latest PC hardware, pirate some games, buy a few too. They all have lame ass excuses for it, of course.

I do think most people who do pirate stop pirating en masse once they start rolling in the dough a bit (get decent jobs). But there are shitheads out there who pirate by principle. It's kinda hard to pirate hardware, but they absolutely would if they could. The rest of their lives are usually packed with other examples of their cheapass, self-serving laziness-derived BS as well.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 03:07.

News Comments > More Mass Effect DLC Possible
11. Re: No subject Aug 8, 2008, 03:33 swaaye

Wish they'd spent another year making a complete, more fleshed out game in the first place. Mass Effect was a bummer in my opinion. Short, narrow, and small are the words that come to mind to describe it. (lol)

News Comments > Diablo III Art Director to Change, Art Direction to Stay
27. Re: No subject Aug 8, 2008, 03:29 swaaye

I liked warcraft cartoon style graphics. When they were only in warcraft that is, and starcraft had its futuristic sci-fi style and diablo had its gothic horror style.

Yeah that. I'm not offended by the new Diablo look, but it definitely isn't as distinct from their other IPs as it used to be. Maybe being distinct is too risky for modern day Blizzard?

It's just gonna be yet another grind festival that appeals big time to WoW people anyway. Not sure I'll even pick up D3. Been there done that. I think I'd rather play the oldies.

News Comments > Ken Levine: BioShock Rescued the Shooter
33. No subject Aug 4, 2008, 21:22 swaaye

Bioshock was pretty decent for what it was and for what other choices we have in games these days. It is basically a refinement/streamlining/refocusing of the System Shock 2 gameplay. Yeah, there were questionable decisions made, but the game certainly does present a rather original universe with excellent production values. I can see why the various changes were made even if I would've done it a bit differently.

System Shock 2, as great as it is, is certainly not flawless by any measure either. I think I do like it more than Bioshock, mainly because it is "harder" sci-fi but also for its extra RPG aspects that make you feel like you have some extra choices. Really though, the games are definitely not all that dissimilar.

If the success of Bioshock causes a resurgence in interest in this kind of shooter, what is there really to complain about?

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 21:23.

News Comments > Blizzard Works to Stop OpenSource WoW Glider
27. No subject Aug 1, 2008, 20:32 swaaye

I find it entertaining that most MMOs are so repetitive that they can be thoroughly automated and yet so many people are entertained for thousands of hours by them.

I know; I'm missing the point. Oh well!
This comment was edited on Aug 1, 20:33.

News Comments > Star Wars MMOG Trademark Speculation
9. Re: No subject Jul 13, 2008, 22:09 swaaye

It's too bad that it won't be much like KOTOR other than being in the same universe. KOTOR was nothing like a MMO on any level. It was all about storyline and even a little bit about influencing it.

Not a fan of MMO"RPG"s.

This comment was edited on Jul 13, 22:09.

News Comments > Carmack on PC Gaming
59. Re: ... Jul 13, 2008, 21:53 swaaye

Exactly. Carmack played an incredibly significant role in PC gaming and hardware development. That's why it's sad to see him now, a shadow of his former glory, moaning and sounding like an old fart. It was also quite pathetic seeing him align himself with Apple for the demonstration of id Tech5. If Carmack continues like this it will undermine the legacy he deserves for his accomplishments.
Quake was developed on a Nextstation. Or was it Doom?
Doom3 was first showcased at an Apple show, I believe.

Who cares? Why does MS deserve exclusivity? Why does it matter?

This comment was edited on Jul 13, 21:55.

News Comments > New GRID Demo
28. Re: demo Jun 15, 2008, 04:09 swaaye

We need a new Carmageddon.

Yes, we do. Sadly every company that tries to make one has apparently been unable to actually complete anything.

I'll probably eventually pick up GRID. The damage modeling looks entertaining.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 04:09.

News Comments > Crysis: No More Patches, Linux Server on Hold
50. Re: No subject Jun 2, 2008, 00:16 swaaye

I'm pretty sure I just read a tech review of an Nvidia top vid card, running on a top end system.. and one of the games they tested was Crysis.. and it still ran like poop.

That was the one reason I didn't get the game.. absurd sys reqs.

Fascinating. So, games that have high requirements because they push the envelope are "absurd"? I guess I've been confused for many years over just how we got some of the graphics that, apparently, lots of today's gamers currently consider non-demanding.

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 00:22.

News Comments > Dark Horizon Announced
34. Re: Now please wake up LucasArts!! May 29, 2008, 19:17 swaaye

XWA was ok, but yeah BC was a definite disappointment.

I enjoyed the businessman/smuggling part of XWA, but it went stupid once it turned into a sort of poor X-Wing sequel. They dumped your character completely at the end.
This comment was edited on May 29, 19:19.

202 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo