Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ... ..

Real Name ... ..   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname swaaye
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 19, 2008, 01:54
Total Comments 202 (Novice)
User ID 49717

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

News Comments > Two Worlds II Announced
30. Re: Two Worlds II Announced Jul 3, 2009, 20:13 swaaye

Yeah I'm gonna join in with the folks waving the "too damn cheesy and unpolished" flag for TW.

As for Bioshock, the atmosphere was absolutely amazing but the gameplay isn't so much. The respawning bad guy thing doesn't work for me anymore and the shooter mechanics sucked. So I call Bioshock an average game. I liked Dark Messiah a more frankly as I think it did the genre better even though it's no flawless gem either.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > StarCraft II LAN Dropped Due to Piracy
136. Re: SC2 LAN & Piracy Jun 30, 2009, 23:09 swaaye

I don't really see a problem with this as long as it doesn't introduce lag. I don't see how it won't introduce lag into a RTS. Maybe SC2 is small enough scale that it'll work fine.

I kinda wish that SC2 and Diablo 3 would turn out to be utter garbage though. Frankly, the original SC didn't do all that much for me past the single player campaign.

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 2009, 23:11.

News Comments > Aliens RPG Cancelled
47. Re: Aliens RPG Cancelled Jun 28, 2009, 14:56 swaaye

Look at the games that were released between 1995 and 2001..... Now look at the games released in the past six years.

Oh I can think up some really amazing releases in the past 6 years. I'd also be willing to argue with you about the usual list there of "totally awesome '90s staple games". It's all subjective.

Sure the '80s and '90s were rather revolutionary. That's because they were coming up with new genres left and right. Interactive entertainment was newly born, after all. Some ideas worked well, some sure didn't. Some of the seemingly abandoned genres (out of the limelight basically) might sell today or they might not. Just like some movie genres are good popcorn blockbusters and some simply will never be. But tastes do change over time.

The gaming industry is very young yet. It's pretty obvious that 3D for example is still very unrefined, regardless of how positively the PR guys talk about their latest stuff. It definitely is still evolving.

The jaded folk living in their perfect pasts are just unhappy that the industry hasn't evolved as they imagined it would. I think that's a life lesson or something.

News Comments > EverQuests to Expand Again
9. Re: EverQuests to Expand Again Jun 27, 2009, 18:35 swaaye

My EQ-lovin buddy says that the expansions have turned the older areas into empty wastelands. Tragic he says.  

News Comments > BioShock 2 in October
5. Re: BioShock 2 in October May 30, 2009, 03:33 swaaye

I can't wait to hear how shitty this game is from all of the folks who run out and buy it blindly.  

News Comments > Wolfenstein in August
25. Re: Raven May 28, 2009, 19:47 swaaye

I'd argue that most of those games were average. For one, I liked the original JK (the one from LucasArts themselves when they were unbeatable) the best cuz of the expansive levels. I actually think the SoF games were below average.

EF2 was made by Ritual.

Add Hexen and Hexen 2. Those and Heretic are probably by fav games from them.

Quake4 felt an awful lot like Elite Force to me. Same basic, painfully obviously linear team-based singleplayer. EF had really poor multiplayer IMO, but I'm sure someone will argue with me on that opinion.

I never played any of their X-Men games cuz that's just not my thing.

This comment was edited on May 28, 2009, 19:54.

News Comments > Windows 7 RC
42. Re: Windows 7 RC May 6, 2009, 15:48 swaaye

1. And everything in WinXP is bells and whistles versus Windows 3.1
You're off a bit there. Win3.1 is garbage (I'd rather use DOS). XP is a sweetly refined 2K (esp post SP2) and a HUGE step above even Win9x. What does Vista or 7 do that's a major improvement over XP? Lots of relatively intangible tweaks, higher system requirements, and some major annoyances.

I'm not saying Vista and 7 are bad, but the days of jumps like 3.1->9x and 9x->NT5 are long gone. Most folks just don't see the need for Vista or 7. I don't care how you look at it, it's hard to see fault with that.

This comment was edited on May 6, 2009, 15:49.

News Comments > Battlezone II Patch
15. Re: Battlezone II Patch Apr 28, 2009, 00:52 swaaye

BZ2 was buggy when it came out. It didn't lack the eyecandy though, being one of the first games with environment-mapped bump mapping support. It was a technology showcase, if it ran right. It was really very good looking for the day.

I think the that the massive changes to the look of the universe (colorful vs. dark/gloomy) and the changes to the UI are what flustered the fanatics of the original BZ remake. Realistically, both games suffer from similar issues. Unit pathfinding and overall AI is a real mess for both BZ games.

Unfortunately, this type of game isn't what most people are after though, seeing how both games bombed in sales and most people I know don't like the games for one reason or another.

Add this series to the list of sci-fi sims that I'd like to see continued. At least make some more games like 'em, plz. I have a feeling that we never will see that happen though due to the fact that the predecessors bombed.

This comment was edited on Apr 28, 2009, 00:54.

News Comments > PC Star Trek: D-A-C Plans
31. Re: PC Star Trek: D-A-C Plans Apr 24, 2009, 01:14 swaaye

I think you're way off. It's respectable for any game to get an 86 on Metacritic but for a Star Trek game like Elite Force? That's pretty exceptional and it had appeal outside of franchise fans. Not only that but the multiplayer was top notch. It was widely hailed as the best Star Trek game. How you can stretch it to be "pretty bad" I just don't know.

Reasons I don't like EF much:

-too linear for me. It's mind numbingly so, with serious "only one door" syndrome.
-kinda cheesy feel to it (trademark Raven style)
-based on Voyager, my least fav Trek franchise
-the Elite Force team doesn't actually exist in Voyager canon
-they came up with some lame weapons and gimped the Borg in the first 10 minutes of play with the IMod. Why invent anything?
-"good" is not the word I would choose to describe the multiplayer

Did like:
-can wander the ship (especially in the addon pack)
-atmospheric and immersive at times
-episodic design like other Trek games

I think I prefer DS9 The Fallen over Elite Force for a Trek shooter though because of how well I think it nails the DS9 feel. It invents fewer things and it has some really awesome missions. I really dig DS9 over Voyager too so that's a big plus for it. I'm not going to say that it's perfect though.

Are you sure that's not nostalgia talking? Don't get me wrong, I completely agree that diplomacy and politics are integral to the Star Trek universe but then so is action and that tends to translate better to video games.
Not really since I've played 25th and AFU rather recently. They are the best games to go for if you want to feel like you're in an episode of Trek IMO. And they definitely do have action elements. Ship and personal combat of various sorts. Both can get frustrating with puzzles, but that's what walkthroughs are for.

Trek game preference obviously comes down to personal genre preferences. To each is his own, eh.

This comment was edited on Apr 24, 2009, 01:56.

News Comments > PC Star Trek: D-A-C Plans
15. Re: PC Star Trek: D-A-C Plans Apr 23, 2009, 16:33 swaaye

Like someone else said, I think that the best Trek games were the adventure games. They combined action and adventure, which is what Trek is about. I've played almost every Trek game made and the best ones were A Final Unity and 25th Anniversary, IMO.

I did like how DS9 The Fallen and Elite Force let you wander around Trek areas somewhat freely though. The games were pretty bad overall though I think.

News Comments > FileFront Closing
20. Re: FileFront Closing Mar 25, 2009, 23:53 swaaye

Yeah this really sucks. Filefront hosts just tons and tons of mod sites. There is lots of old stuff on there that very well could end up lost forever when they close up.

News Comments > Wolfenstein Trailer
30. Re: Wolfenstein Trailer Mar 21, 2009, 23:31 swaaye

Well I don't know what I think about this game, but it looks mildly entertaining maybe. I have to say I'm getting rather tired of shooters that are just "kill wave after wave of cannon fodder".

But as for the dislike of the Doom3 engine, that's got me confused. Frankly, I don't believe that UE3 is worthy of being judged as better. Epic seems to do the game engine sales routine better than id Software and so we have buckets of games based on UE. And they are all rather recognizable too, unfortunately. The Wolfenstein engine is surely not the "Doom 3 engine". They improved that engine for Quake 4 and ETQW. I'm sure they've tweaked it again here. Game engines aren't static things at all. Raven itself mods stuff in the engine. Even their Quake 3-based games were heavily customized for games like JK2, JA, SOF2, etc.

What I thought I did see with regards to the gfx was some low detail texturing. That could be a remnant of console development. The damn consoles have so little RAM that texture detail on them isn't going to go anywhere. And since consoles are now poor man's PCs and the target of every developer on the planet, we're probably rather stuck with 2005's texture detail level until new consoles with gigs of RAM.

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 2009, 23:37.

News Comments > US Dark Sector PC This Month Confirmed
6. Re: US Dark Sector PC This Month Confirmed Mar 13, 2009, 19:35 swaaye

Total War would never work on a console

Several games from that series are on PS2.

RTS on consoles is tricky, but it works ok. I actually rather enjoy C&C for N64. I think it's the best looking version of that game too. That's the only RTS that I've bothered with on a console though.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2009, 19:40.

News Comments > UT3 Free Steam Weekend, Sale Price
17. Re: UT3 Free Steam Weekend, Sale Price Mar 5, 2009, 19:20 swaaye

A million? Where is everyone? Why aren't they playing online?
My friends and I who own UT3 much prefer playing LAN games. Never got into the impersonal online play.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Comic
5. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Comic Feb 28, 2009, 12:59 swaaye

Quite honestly, I'd much rather see a game(s) and/or film(s)/TV miniseries based on Zahn's Thrawn trilogy. IMHO Thrawn is probably the most interesting character ever created in the SW universe.

Hear, hear.

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 2009, 13:01.

News Comments > John Carmack Interview
4. Re: John Carmack Interview Feb 24, 2009, 22:49 swaaye

Would it kill them to add at least a few cool extras for the PC version other than higher resolutions and AA?
I don't need any "extras". I just need things like font size that makes sense for a PC monitor and configurable controls. There really isn't much difference between console gaming and PC gaming these days. The current consoles are the poor man's way to get at what PCs were the only way to play before. At least for shooters and racers because that's about all the consoles do well now.

I usually play the old stuff b/c everything new is mostly crap.
No I think it's because we're not kids anymore and we're jaded and bored with what sells. It's not that most games have changed much since the "good old days". Aside from the loss of simulations. That is a bummer and a sign of how the companies are targeting different groups because they are bigger than the audience for those lost or seriously backseated genres.

When it should be more like L4D.
Screw that. Sorry, but I don't want Doom4 to be anything like that game. I also don't want it to be as formulaic as Doom3 though. I liked Doom3's dark-evil-shit plan, but the monster closets were way too lame after a few levels. I still trudged through though to see the id Software twisted-gothic-unibrain's creation (those guys are really nuts). The game needs a coop mode for sure but I'm also down with another single player campaign that's got some length.

This comment was edited on Feb 24, 2009, 22:58.

News Comments > MS: Windows 7 to be "Great for Games"
84. Re: Win7 Feb 23, 2009, 22:58 swaaye

Well isn't this a revelation. WinME was said to be "great for games" too. I think DOS was best for games because it was tricky to figure out and thus kept morons and jocks away.

This comment was edited on Feb 23, 2009, 23:08.

News Comments > Intel Sues NVIDIA
25. Re: Intel Sues NVIDIA Feb 19, 2009, 01:33 swaaye

To hell with Intel's greedy ways. I will from now on NEVER buy an intel product. Why is it so hard for them to understand that the CPU needs the GPU and the GPU needs the CPU. If you utilize both and each are good, you have one hell of a product.

Looks like I'll be going back to AMD chips again. I loved my Athlon XP.

This sort of sentiment entertains me. Uhhh, Intel is a company and companies compete with each other. They aren't around to spread happy warm fuzzy feelings to one another. BTW, you as a consumer are the least likely target for reward from them. Don't go giving big corps your loyalty unless you are on salary there. Be a smart consumer and spend your money for your own direct personal gain (best product for you and your $$).

NV, AMD, VIA, and even say Toys R Us (totally) would love to be merciless too, but they can't get their act together well enough to actually beat Intel at the game. I'm sure Intel just screws around with the competition half of the time. They can't really just bury AMD (or buy them) cuz The Law would come into play and call them a monopoly. So we get little games instead.

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2009, 01:42.

News Comments > Intel Sues NVIDIA
24. Re: Intel Sues NVIDIA Feb 19, 2009, 01:27 swaaye

Nvidia should have kept selling soundcard chips. Their soundstorm was WAY ahead of its time with its dolby digital live feature. Its only now (like 8 or 10 years later?) that lazy greedy Creative is integrating that feature into its latest line of sound cards that its trying to push people into upgrading.

NVIDIA only did "Soundstorm" because they made the tech for the Xbox. To get more return on that R&D investment, they gave it a shot on PC and it basically bombed because the taiwanese mobo vendors won't pay for good audio chips (because end users don't care to pay for it generally).

And yeah, DDLive is only cool if you need to hook up to a receiver and don't want to bother with the 5.1 analog inputs that will sound better (AC3 is lossy). Analog audio from a Soundstorm mobo almost always sucks because of how bad the signal quality is off of the mobo. And oh by the way NVIDIA's driver support for NVAPU (soundstorm) sucked ass enough for a friend of mine to give up on it and get Audigy 2.

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2009, 01:30.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Delayed
9. Re: Guild Wars 2 Delayed Feb 15, 2009, 23:58 swaaye

If this ends up pitted against Diablo III it will *lose*

Why? I realize that Blizzard has millions of blind worshippers, but if GW2 is decent it will sell. How sad it would be if it did not.

Shit we don't even know if Diablo 3 will suck ass yet. It may, you know. Putting loads of faith into unreleased games is a sign of noob-dom. Even a game from the apparently loved-by-all Blizzard.

But what the hell do I know. The only Blizzard game I have played to any extent in the past 5 years is the original Diablo. The vast majority (all?) of the people who made that game are long gone from Blizzard. They went to places like, say, NCSoft and to that Flagship place. GW is an awful lot like an evolved take on Diablo 2 gameplay.

This comment was edited on Feb 16, 2009, 00:07.

202 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo