Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ... ..

Real Name ... ..   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname swaaye
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 19, 2008, 01:54
Total Comments 204 (Novice)
User ID 49717

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

News Comments > John Carmack on PhysX
29. Re: John Carmack on PhysX Aug 21, 2009, 22:33 swaaye

Oh and by the way, Carmack denounced Direct3D early on and that's why they stuck with OpenGL but now we know that Direct3D had a bright future because it would evolve faster and be better targeted for gaming. OpenGL was OK for gaming but that wasn't what it was really designed for, irc. (opengl was more for rendering 3D on UNIX workstations)

He denounced D3D at the time because it was pure shit then. That was the D3D 1.0-3.0 era. He had tried to make a D3D version of Quake but gave up because it was taking him shockingly more time to do than it took to get GLQuake working. D3D had to be reworked a few times to become even remotely palatable.

And since Carmack likes to put his games on Macs and Linux, D3D is actually still useless to him because D3D is MS's clamp hold on gaming.

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 2009, 22:43.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Blizzard Release Plans, SC2 Beta This Year
13. Re: SC2 Beta This Year Aug 21, 2009, 22:26 swaaye

Diablo isnít about the graphics. Itís basically Nethack with 16 colors and a primitive UI. The hook is in the gameplay. Some of the best times I ever had with games were playing D1/D2 with some friends.

Yeah it was pure awesome watching people do Baal, Mephisto, et al "runs" for years of their lives. They'd get bored after a few months, a patch would arrive and recharge them for another 6 months or so.

Then WoW came and proved that there were even lower lows.

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 2009, 22:29.

News Comments > Bethesda Game Announcement Nears
13. Re: Bethesda Game Announcement Nears Aug 20, 2009, 22:44 swaaye

There was a preview of Fallout 3 back when they were previewing Oblivion yet. So I imagine whatever the game is, they've been working on it since before Fallout 3 came out.  

News Comments > Need for Speed: SHIFT a Week Early in NA
3. Re: Need for Speed: SHIFT a Week Early in NA Aug 19, 2009, 01:53 swaaye

It's amazing to think that after having the last 4 or so games in the series be shit that NFS may still have brand power....

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 2009, 01:54.

News Comments > Several Years Until All of StarCraft II is Completed
16. Re: Several Years Until All of StarCraft II is Completed Aug 19, 2009, 01:51 swaaye

Oh Oh.. TEH Angries... Don't go defending them until you are on their payroll.  

News Comments > Elder Scrolls 5 Reassurances
12. Re: Elder Scrolls 5 Reassurances Aug 17, 2009, 23:47 swaaye

nevermind me

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2009, 23:52.

News Comments > Bethesda: No Current Elder Scrolls 5 Plans, MMO? Maybe
46. Re: Elder Scrolls MMO? Aug 17, 2009, 19:33 swaaye

If you want to be a whiny pedant then technically Planescape Torment isn't an RPG, it's Forgotten Realms Book for 15 year olds: The Game. RPG isn't just a generalization these days, it always has been.

lol

45. Re: Elder Scrolls MMO? Aug 17, 2009, 19:24 swaaye

Well if there's a level of multiplayer that I've wanted when playing Morrowind, Oblivion, or Fallout 3, it would be just perhaps up to 8 player LAN gaming. Something small, where you and your friends can load up characters and wander the land doing whatever you want. Someone else here before me described that sort of thing.

The Massively part does nothing for me. I'm just not looking for the opportunity to join in on some big social gaming experience. It's definitely its own kind of gaming and I'm happy that it apparently makes some people happy, but I'd rather go out and chat with people in the real world than deal with them in a online pay-as-I-go game... I actually don't play anything multiplayer unless it's a face-to-face session. LAN gaming is all I do for multi.

I suppose it all comes down to the fact that I am just not a very social person. I like games that are built on a "loner" mentality, have lots of exploration and possibilities to influence the world. I don't even need action in these games frankly. It's just about escaping from the real world and doing my own thing.

If they do make a MMO out of TES, the TES community is going have a meltdown. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if the community decided to make their own single player TES game. They are already putting together huge land expansions and new cities. This isn't a group that wants to go online and raid/grind with their friends. That's not what these games mean for most people who take them seriously.

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2009, 19:38.

20. Re: Bethesda: No Current Elder Scrolls 5 Plans, MMO? Maybe Aug 15, 2009, 20:19 swaaye

Re: Above

I know that it's entirely possible that this is an opinion that only I hold, but there is no way they could possibly make an MMO that would be anything like the experience of a single player sandbox RPG. They are like complete opposites by nature.

And if you remove the mod community, Bethesda's games really instantly become much less interesting and exciting. Frankly I think that the mod community behind their games is the best in the industry. I am amazed that people actually buy the console versions of Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout3 because you eliminate the modding capability.

While KOTOR going MMO is painful too, those games are actually so linear already that they fit the MMO style almost perfectly. There is very little in the way of player-world influence outside of scripted sequences. There's very little worthwhile to do outside of the main storyline. There is also almost no mod community. Not to say that I want to see it turn into a MMO however.

A new single player KOTOR3 (preferably not made by Bioware) would be much more exciting in every way to me than this KOTOR MMO. Bioware really isn't the benchmark in RPG design people make them out to be so honestly I doubt that the MMO will be anything revolutionary. Just look at Mass Effect being basically a KOTOR copy. Very little originality there. KOTOR2 actually felt incredibly superior to the original game. It's too bad that Obsidian didn't have enough time to finish it. Just another LucasArts genius maneuver.

This comment was edited on Aug 15, 2009, 20:32.

1. Re: Bethesda: No Current Elder Scrolls 5 Plans, MMO? Maybe Aug 15, 2009, 13:16 swaaye

oh please don't let it happen.  

News Comments > Terminator Salvation PhysX Still Coming?
12. Re: Terminator Salvation PhysX Still Com Aug 14, 2009, 22:28 swaaye

Physx is just more marketing for NV. It gets them closer to the wondrous world of total proprietary control. I really hope that DX11 compute shaders eliminate this BS just like DX7 finally did to Glide back in the day.

Look at the Batman game. We have NV Physx. NV The Way It's Meant to be Played labeling. NV-only multisampling AA. If this dev didn't get money or some sort of other direct help from NV, wow.

The biggest issue here is that ATI's developer relations suck and always have sucked.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2009, 22:31.

News Comments > PC Gaming Alliance Grows
20. Re: PC Gaming Alliance Grows Aug 12, 2009, 19:03 swaaye

That said, Supcom 2 looks fucking awesome. One of my most anticipated games of 2010.

Creston

SupCom was my most anticipated of 2006 and that turned out just super let me tell ya. Heh.

Look, my units don't respond to move orders if there's any action! And the game eventually slows to 0.35 fps if there's an AI player! Securom-enhanced crashing! Miscellany-enhanced crashing! Horribly broken multithreading requiring a homebrewed utility to fix it! Watch out, our autopatcher can blow up in your face and require a full game reinstall due to a half completed patch jobber!

Give 'em 2 years for 10 patches and a $40 expansion pack (i.e. add some damn content, rebalance everything and make it mostly work). At least it doesn't crash much anymore.

Next excitement from GPG? Space Siege! (lmao)

Next-next quality, bug free GPG release? Demigod. Who cares if multiplayer doesn't work at launch! That's ok!!

I didn't actually buy Space Siege or Demigod. I just watched that hilarity develop from the sidelines.

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 2009, 19:14.

News Comments > Wing Commander, Populous, & More Re-TMed
55. Re: Wing Commander, Populous, & More Re-TMed Aug 12, 2009, 18:57 swaaye

The entire WC series works perfectly in DosBox. Well, aside from Prophecy since it's a Win9x game but that works in XP. I've had WC4 working in XP too, actually. The special DVD edition at that. You just need to use Google.

I don't need to pay EA to install the older games in DosBox for me.

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 2009, 19:00.

News Comments > LucasArts VC Games
32. Re: LucasArts VC Games Aug 11, 2009, 18:11 swaaye

Eh, a re-release of TIE and X-Wing would do nothing for me. I play the games occasionally on DosBox anyway. The same games with better graphics = big whoop to me. Hell, I think the old graphics are part of the experience.

They need to make something NEW. Not release those two oldies for the 5th time.

One of the biggest problems IMO with "remaking" those games is that they probably can't get the interactive soundtracks working right. Not for the money they want to spend on rereleases, I'm sure. The only versions of those games that have the MIDI are the DOS versions. I really didn't like the Windows 9x remakes because of the boring as hell CD audio that they went to. They said iMuse didn't work in Windows so they scrapped half of what made those games awesome. I don't want to hear looping John Williams in place of Michael Land's, Clint Bajakian's and Peter McConnell's work. Even XWA didn't do music nearly as well.

Hell am I the only guy here that bought more than one version of these games already? I've donated enough to that cause....

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 2009, 18:19.

News Comments > LucasArts VC Games
26. Re: LucasArts VC Games Aug 10, 2009, 20:31 swaaye

Haha. Well, I still have these carts from back when I bought them in the '90s. And in ROM form, of course. Don't really need to "relive" anything here because it's not all that "long forgotten" for me.

These games are about as good as Force Unleased IMO. Take that however you want to but IMO they actually have a lot in common in the gameplay dept. I bet SWFU is not as tough though!!

Super Star Wars, unlike the other two games, doesn't have any saves or passcodes if I remember correctly. That game is masochism. The other two have passcodes but shit ESB is particularly tough.

LucasArts is really on a roll with their usual "make an extra extra buck on paid-for-long-ago IP." You guys know that they've released TIE Fighter and X-Wing 4 times each? That would be floppy -> DOS CD -> Win95 -> Win95 again. The Win9x versions of the games don't work in XP so I imagine that's why they haven't been re-re-re-re-re-released yet. It would cost them money to get 'em working.

This comment was edited on Aug 10, 2009, 20:45.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2009, 14:09 swaaye

I agree about the Masters of Doom book.

As a Wisconsin resident, I was particularly entertained by their inability to deal with our "horrible" winters. Raven is in Madison, WI and id was almost literally down the street for a while. That's how they got started collaborating and how Heretic/Hexen came about.

I can't help but feel that id's later games would've been even more interesting if Romero hadn't split.

This comment was edited on Aug 9, 2009, 14:14.

News Comments > Wolfenstein Trailer
3. Re: Wolfenstein Trailer Aug 9, 2009, 14:08 swaaye

I'm just not really getting excited about extreme surely-ultra-linear Nazi mow down fest part 32 here....

Who thunk up flamethrowers on the Zeppelin?

News Comments > The Force Unleashed on PCs
91. Re: PC Force Unleashed Jul 26, 2009, 13:10 swaaye

I played it quite a bit and I think it is lacking. I guess it all depends on what kind of game you are looking for. This game is not what I'm looking for.

It is very "arcadey", with waves of baddies, score keeping, power ups, etc. It reminded me of the old Super Star Wars SNES games. Probably the biggest issue with it is that the controls suck ass. The Wii ver is actually a lot better in that way.

It's really just a rather simple arcade sidescroller gone 3D. meh

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2009, 14:03.

News Comments > RAGE Info Incoming
17. Re: RAGE Info Incoming Jul 12, 2009, 00:04 swaaye

I initially thought the post was about Rage Software's old Incoming game.  

News Comments > Old School LucasArts Announcement Monday
73. Re: LucasArts News Monday Jul 5, 2009, 20:12 swaaye

While I'd be first in line to buy a new AAA space shooter game, frankly most of the people I know would not be. The majority of the new gamer populace that was attracted into gaming by social fantasy games ain't gonna care methinks.

And also remember that both dev costs and sales volume were WAY lower back in the mid '90s. There were fewer gamers. Games were also incredibly simpler, with smaller teams, lower expectations. There was more risk taking because there was less risk, less investment.

Though like Bioshock showed for its previously-niche genre, there may just be some SERIOUS untapped potential for a really well-produced new space sim. Shit, didn't that garbage Force Unleashed bad-arcade-sidescroller-gone-3D (it reminded me of the Super SW series lolz) just blow sales records? Anything's possible.

This comment was edited on Jul 5, 2009, 20:14.

204 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo