Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ... ..

Real Name ... ..   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname swaaye
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 19, 2008, 01:54
Total Comments 203 (Novice)
User ID 49717

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

News Comments > BioShock 2 to Surface Feb 2010
21. Re: BioShock 2 in Feb 2010 Sep 19, 2009, 18:24 swaaye

I don't understand why so many claim to have liked it.
Ideas:
1) Young minds, light on the past experiences, easily contented.
2) Gamers who have a fetish for extreme linearity.
3) Gamers who never played a RPG/FPS hybrid before.
4) The cool setting/atmosphere made up for the problems.

I liked the game first time though. Thought it was decent, would give it a B. But I can't get interested in playing it again. And SS2 was better IMO (not rosy nostalgia as I played it right before BS.)

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 2009, 18:40.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Jedi Knight Games Rereleased
34. Re: Jedi Knight Rereleases Sep 19, 2009, 18:09 swaaye

1) Dark Forces never came on floppies.

2) Jedi Knight 3D hardware mode will apparently work with some modern video cards but it's dependent on drivers, OS and probably luck.

3) You guys should be more wary Steam releases of old games that used CD audio. Ideally the game should have been reworked to support OGGs or something, but that involves time/money, and source code which LEC lost apparently. Alternately, Steam could include some sort of CD audio emulation. I've used Daemon Tools which has CD audio support along with images of my game CDs to get CD audio in old games.

4) You could just buy the games in boxed form, not lose anything, not help sleazy LucasArts make money (surely out of print), and gain CD audio. Way more authentic.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 2009, 18:14.

News Comments > All Jedi Knight Games to Steam and D2D
58. Re: All Jedi Knight Games to Steam and D Sep 18, 2009, 17:18 swaaye

I've been watching the comments over on the Steam forums. Well folks, as predicted, the JK and MotS releases are castrated buggy messes.

The music is gone of course cuz it was CD audio and changing that would take significant effort. There are no bug fixes, including no fixes for the problems with the 3D hardware support. There are problems with resolution changing. And some people are having problems with CD checks! I think LEC used nocd cracks to make the games run w/o CDs.

Apparently LEC may have lost the source code for these games.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=714
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=716

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 2009, 17:32.

News Comments > Lucidity Announced, PC Confirmed
44. Re: Lucidity PC Confirmed Sep 14, 2009, 22:44 swaaye

Hmmm no.

Rebel Assault III. The market is ready for a new interactive movie game!!! My thoroughly younger bro loved the "Mortimer and the Riddles of the Medallion" spinoff too (he was ~7) so maybe a sequel there as well!!!

This comment was edited on Sep 14, 2009, 22:47.

News Comments > Pripyat Calls on DX11
47. Re: Pripyat Calls on DX11 Sep 14, 2009, 22:41 swaaye

STALKER SoC only crashed once in my entire play through the game recently. And that was with the demanding STALKER Complete 2009 mod installed too.

I also discovered that u can dramatically reduce load times by adding "-noprefetch" to the command line. Doesn't hurt performance.

This comment was edited on Sep 14, 2009, 22:43.

54. Re: All Jedi Knight Games to Steam and D Sep 14, 2009, 22:29 swaaye

The thing with DF2: JK and other games of that time is that 3D was so incredibly limited. Super low-poly models, horrid animation and crappy textures. It may have been the best way to do FPS action but compared to 2D games, the visual quality is just shit. It still doesn't bother me that much tho. I like "immersing" myself in the various eras of gaming tech. (Well, I do hate most PS1 games....can't tell wtf I'm looking at sometimes with those huge, skewed pixels and perspective probs)

There's also this mod for the original game engine:
JK Enhanced http://www.jkhub.net/project/show.php?projid=242

IMO that JK -> JA mod doesn't look that much better than the original game because they are just reusing the old textures anyway.

This comment was edited on Sep 14, 2009, 22:35.

50. Re: All Jedi Knight Games to Steam and D Sep 13, 2009, 19:42 swaaye

JK is Quake 1 / Hexen 2 quality. But the gameplay itself blows those away completely for singleplayer gaming. You don't see levels as huge as those in JK in many other games, certainly not the Quakes. Graphics quality doesn't bother me much honestly. I hate to use the tired "gameplay is more important than graphics" cliche, but that's the deal for me. What was a shame with JK2 was how the "technically marvelous" Quake 3 engine couldn't handle the huge levels of JK1 apparently. Maybe Raven didn't even try though, I dunno.

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2009, 20:06.

15. Re: All Jedi Knight Games to Steam and D2D Sep 12, 2009, 16:44 swaaye

Is that the problem where going to the menu results in the game being unable to revert back to the target resolution? Alt-Tab fixes it, but to describe that as inelegant is a gross understatement... I don't remember whether running in software mode has the same problem, but if it does then it might just make sense to do that. Lord knows modern CPUs are fast enough to manage high resolutions without breaking a sweat.

Well the CD version of JK (prolly MotS too) won't install on a x64 OS. Presumably that means that the installers are partly 16-bit software.

The other problems I've had / heard of are with DX10 cards. For ex, my 8800GTX doesn't render the game properly at all. Completely unusable. Maybe drivers have fixed it, not sure, doubt it. I've seen Radeon HD owners ask about solutions too.

The software renderer in these games was designed for like Pentium 66s. You can crank the res to whatever you want, and any modern CPU tears it up, but the game gets ugly because of how basic the renderer is.

I think the best aspect to these releases is for people who only played JK2 and JA to experience JK1/MotS. The older games are better IMO because of how expansive the levels are. Better atmosphere I think. It makes you feel small, as you probably really would in such an industrially mechanized space-faring future world. Love it. Saber sucks tho. Oh, and I recall that going light or dark depends on your actions in a sort of KOTOR-lite kinda way. JK1/MotS were made by LucasArts vets instead of Raven, too.

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2009, 16:55.

2. Re: All Jedi Knight Games to Steam and D2D Sep 12, 2009, 12:59 swaaye

oops double post

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2009, 12:59.

1. Re: All Jedi Knight Games to Steam and D2D Sep 12, 2009, 12:58 swaaye

This is cool for those who don't have the games and don't want to go with an authentic boxed copy that LucasArts would likely no longer profit from.

I wonder if they'll fix JK1 and MotS's issues. Lets just say that they have some problems with modern OSs and 3D cards.

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2009, 13:06.

News Comments > LA Announces: Lucidity, Steam Jedi Knight, More
23. Re: LA Announces: Lucidity, Steam Jedi Knight, More Sep 12, 2009, 01:59 swaaye

I love how you turn a digital rerelease most people are happy about into a horrible thing.
Haha thanks!

Yeah it's awesome to rebuy games just to give the publisher some $$$$. LEC will surely turn that income around and make great games again any day now!!!

See I've already done that before. They've released X-Wing and TIE Fighter 4 times each. Floppy, DOS CDROM, Win95 CDROM (twice). They did add to and improve the first 2 re-releases a bit so it was kinda worth it. In fact, the DOS CDROM versions are probably the best. The first Win95 release added D3D and texture mapping (XvT engine), a huge visual improvement, but fucked up the music completely. The final release, X-Wing Trilogy, was exactly the same. Skip.

I'm sure they aren't gonna do jack for these JK re-releases. What we could use is a JK1 overhaul (like HL Source), especially because the game has some probs with modern >DX9 vid cards.

I really wonder if they will ever re-release the XW/TIE games. The Win9x versions really need Win9x to work properly, if at all. The ancient D3D support is a big part of it. So LEC would need to sink some money into a rework and that means no super-easy instacash. I suppose they could go with a DOSBOX route and re-release the DOS versions easily enough. That might be preferable because it's the only way you'll get the IMUSE MIDI.

Also, there is a patch to add the music back into Quake and Quake 2.
I just got DarkPlaces and rigged up Quake + expansions with OGG soundtrack files. Not bothering with Quake 2 yet (if ever). Quake 3 and TA don't use CDA.

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2009, 02:23.

42. Re: Pripyat Calls on DX11 Sep 12, 2009, 01:47 swaaye

My biggest problem with SS1 is the controls. Oh man they are a retro-nasty WASD-ish/mouse wreck. Innovative though. Very geeky-nerdtastic atmosphere to that game. The cheesy music. The cyberspace stuff is pretty lame though I have to say lolz.

SS2 is almost a different game IMO. It's way better at horror, for one. Way over the top in that way maybe. That game put me near the edge of the creepy but that is also what will never let me forget that experience. Obviously the improved graphics give you a bit more immersion too. But yah it is so linear that I really only enjoyed my first play-thru (but that tends to happen to me with most games)

The half-naked cyborg bitch was the Cyborg Midwife, btw. <cringe> Oh man, that game.....

Looking forward to Pripyat. I was just running around the city in SoC. That has to be one of the most distinguishing aspects to STALKER - the stark reality of the game locations. That place is really out there in the real world and that's what it looks like. The radiation is real. Not many games have that kind of connection.

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2009, 01:56.

News Comments > LA Announces: Lucidity, Steam Jedi Knight, More
21. Re: LA Announces: Lucidity, Steam Jedi Knight, More Sep 11, 2009, 21:11 swaaye

Who wants to bet that JK and MotS lose their CD audio soundtracks like so many other (all?) old games that used CD audio and got stuck on Steam for suckers? They don't give enough of a shit to go at the source code and rig in some MP3/OGG/WMA support. After all this is just a new way to bring in some more instacash with minimal effort.

I bought the Quake Collection on there and got bent over in this way. Steam forum goers were posting track lists so you could build your own AudioCDs with the soundtracks.

But, anyway, I have Dark Forces thru Jedi Academy on CD and they're rather close at hand so LEC can go shove their cash-in re-re-re-release up their collective asses.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 2009, 21:17.

29. Re: Pripyat Calls on DX11 Sep 11, 2009, 21:01 swaaye

I like both System Shock 2 and STALKER SoC and I say they both have fantastic atmosphere. Ok?

Actually I just finished up a run thru STALKER SoC a few days ago. Incredible experience IMO only tarnished by the game's inability to really tell a cohesive story. But I loved the action, exploration, the locales, atmosphere, etc. Great stuff.

Oh and there's a mod called "STALKER Complete 2009" put together by an artist. It adds a lot of polish to the graphics with a goal of even better immersion.

AND, System Shock 2 kicks the shit out of the original SS. Flame me if necessary but nobody's changing that opinion.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 2009, 21:07.

News Comments > LucasArts Announcement This Week
59. Re: LucasArts Announcement This Week Sep 9, 2009, 23:20 swaaye

There's an expansion pack for XvT that adds a couple of singleplayer campaigns. It's called XvT Balance of Power. It was the first of the games to have the SSD, I recall.  

News Comments > The Old Republic Movies
17. Re: The Old Republic Movies Sep 8, 2009, 19:33 swaaye

I thought Mass Effect's only significant differences from KOTOR were the realtime combat and the vehicle driving (no the KOTOR races don't count). ME even has similar issues as KOTOR such as stupid loot (worse than KOTOR tho), useless money and traders, intense linearity, emptiness of the world when u are done with the quests. The combat in ME is massively more enjoyable though aside from the super buggy AI teammates. Shit, even the plot is rather similar.

I really liked KOTOR a lot back in its time, but now I can barely stand how linear the game is. After thinking about it a lot over the years and playing lots of other games, I've become rather critical of it.

Frankly I don't think Bioware's games from KOTOR onward are very good. I didn't play their older stuff. KOTOR2, for ex, really showed signs of being much better than Bioware's original before it fell apart courtesy of a 13 month dev time.

Personally I think sandbox style RPGs/shooters are the best genre out there today and wish more companies would try to do their own thing there. Fuck MMOs.

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2009, 19:41.

News Comments > Going Back to Kali
16. Re: Going Back to Kali Aug 23, 2009, 22:10 swaaye

yowsers. Kali remembrance bash. Yup I still have my key from '97.  

News Comments > RAGE "Awesome on Mouse and Keyboard"
21. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 21, 2009, 22:50 swaaye

I play old games if I want to relive the "olden times". I like to buy new ideas, not more of what I bought in 1995-2001. Then again I'm currently playing Deus Ex for the first time (mostly) so maybe I'm just yearning for some depth in modern gaming.

The problem with Raven is that their games have felt very similar since, oh, Elite Force, I believe. Quake 4 very much so felt like Elite Force to me. Ultra linear simple shooter gameplay, occasionally with some squaddies following you around. SoF2, JK2, JK:JA, Q4, they all have this similar feel in a way.

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 2009, 22:53.

News Comments > John Carmack on PhysX
30. Re: John Carmack on PhysX Aug 21, 2009, 22:38 swaaye

Well, yes but, the GPU blows the CPU away for physics processing. There's no contest, Surf. An old 8800GTX blows away any current Intel CPU. That's why physics on the GPU offers a lot for gaming.

I don't really agree. I would if there were demonstrated, amazing advances that were only possible with "hardware" physics. There definitely are no such demos out there. Every game patch I've tried on my 8800GTX has been laughably lame and made me even less interested than Physx.

What I see is that GPU accelerated physics processing provides a new way to obsolete your GPU. And for what? Some more particles flying around? Papers in the wind? Funky lumpy water? They definitely have not proven that the value is there for me.

Also, we have multiple CPU cores that are idle and need something to do. There will just be more and more CPU to utilize in the future and physics is one task that they can do. Lets GPUs do graphics and not become hampered with new functions that don't improve graphics performance because we need all we can get on that front.

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 2009, 22:44.

News Comments > John Carmack on PhysX
29. Re: John Carmack on PhysX Aug 21, 2009, 22:33 swaaye

Oh and by the way, Carmack denounced Direct3D early on and that's why they stuck with OpenGL but now we know that Direct3D had a bright future because it would evolve faster and be better targeted for gaming. OpenGL was OK for gaming but that wasn't what it was really designed for, irc. (opengl was more for rendering 3D on UNIX workstations)

He denounced D3D at the time because it was pure shit then. That was the D3D 1.0-3.0 era. He had tried to make a D3D version of Quake but gave up because it was taking him shockingly more time to do than it took to get GLQuake working. D3D had to be reworked a few times to become even remotely palatable.

And since Carmack likes to put his games on Macs and Linux, D3D is actually still useless to him because D3D is MS's clamp hold on gaming.

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 2009, 22:43.

203 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo