Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ... ..

Real Name ... ..   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname swaaye
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 19, 2008, 01:54
Total Comments 202 (Novice)
User ID 49717

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

News Comments > Rebellion Wants to do AvP Sequel
20. Re: Rebellion Wants to do AvP Sequel Feb 24, 2010, 01:18 swaaye

Like last time, it is now Monolith's turn.

Rebellion has proven that they can make the pretties, but the gameplay is basically partying like it's 1999. Not broken but wow they played it super safe that's for sure.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Chris Taylor's Kings and Castles Announced
7. Re: Chris Taylor's Kings and Castles Announced Feb 15, 2010, 12:30 swaaye

I think that The Advocate is on point.  

News Comments > No BioShock 2 Gamepad Support
4. Re: Don't ask for gamepad support in an FPS. Feb 12, 2010, 12:21 swaaye

One thing that I've found ironic for years is how Crysis, poster boy of top of the line PC gaming, has great 360 pad support. The problem is that the game doesn't do the usual extreme autoaim of the consoles so while u can control everything pretty well, you can't hit shit.

We've had joystick support in shooters way back to like Doom though, so it's not new to PC at all.

News Comments > No PC Alan Wake
28. Re: No PC Alan Wake Feb 12, 2010, 12:16 swaaye

my game PC is hooked to a 50" plasma TV in the living room. Hmmmmmmm...

The game's ultra long development debacle is suspicious though. Like another guy said, I'd bet on MS having them by the balls via funding and contracts.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2010, 12:18.

News Comments > No BioShock 2 Gamepad Support
2. Re: No BioShock 2 Gamepad Support Feb 12, 2010, 12:12 swaaye

whodathunk that we'd have a pc gamer outcry over lacking gamepad support in a first-person shooter?

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2010, 12:13.

News Comments > Crysis 2 in NYC
11. Re: Crysis 2 in NYC Jan 20, 2010, 19:19 swaaye

Yeah for me the big draw of FarCry and Crysis were the open environments. Take that away and all you have is another corridor shooter.  

News Comments > BioShock 2 DLC Already in Development
20. Re: BioShock 2 DLC Already in Development Jan 18, 2010, 19:37 swaaye

What they've also learned is that the game industry is perpetually restocked with millions of noobs who will buy just about anything that is hyped. History in gaming doesn't necessarily mean shit but it can be useful hype ammo if properly used.

Oh, humanity. Welcome to the "big business" entertainment industry, where we all hoped gaming would go one day, in our once blissful ignorance.

This comment was edited on Jan 18, 2010, 19:38.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2 Announced
23. Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2 Announced Dec 13, 2009, 17:41 swaaye

So we have a Star Wars MMO and a sequel to a shitty console disaster that sold better than it deserved.

Oh Goodies.

News Comments > Dead Space 2 Announced
25. Re: Dead Space 2 Announced Dec 8, 2009, 02:30 swaaye

Antialiasing can not be forced in Dead Space. I believe the engine uses deferred shading/rendering which prevents MSAA from working. Lots of games are doing this now unfortunately. I believe that Direct3D 10 has ways to remedy this but nobody gives a shit because the consoles can't do it anyway.

What was curious about Dead Space was how similar it was to System Shock 2 in various ways. Unfortunately it didn't really work as well, especially from the horror aspect. SS2 seriously nails horror. Shit, I almost had to stop playing that game a few times....

With DS there were a lot of aspects that made it turn into just another shooter, but with a goofy scary sci-fi setting. It was reminiscent of the movie Event Horizon, I thought. Also, the gameplay progression was so painfully linear. The action was predictable and way too common. The 3rd person aspect ruins horror too IMO.

I didn't even finish the game. I stopped after the monster in the giant tube, wherever that was. I just lost interest...

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 2009, 02:31.

News Comments > id: "RAGE Will Feel Like a True PC Game"
9. Re: id: Dec 7, 2009, 19:56 swaaye

Eh, I'm not even sure what a true PC game is. The consoles are just poor man's PCs with shitty controls (for some genres) that results in horrible game castration in some cases.

We need to lose stuff like aggressive auto-heal, auto-crouch/cover, and auto-aim. Include configurable non-stupid key mappings. UI text that's not 40pt font size across the board. 4:3, 16:10 and 16:9 screen ratios that work properly. An at-my-will saving system (although this isn't a real issue for me honestly).

Most of the shitty games are shitty regardless of which platform they end up on.

I think id can be relied on to make sure the game works well on PC, but I'm not sure they know how to make a good game.

Oh and I like gamepads for driving games too. Hell I even think an analog stick pad works great for the old space shooters.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2009, 20:00.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Trailers
13. Re: Star Trek Online Trailers Dec 6, 2009, 11:34 swaaye

. The effects were done at ILM.
Actually ILM only made the initial stock footage for the series. The not-so-great stuff from season 1 and 2 mostly. Of course they did do the movies (aside from 5 and 9).

Most of the TV model shots in Trek series were done at a place called Image G. And there were at least 3 models of the D (2ft, 4ft, 6ft). 4ft showed up in season 3 because the beautiful 6 footer was too time-consuming to shoot on a TV time scale & budget. When they blow one up they don't blow the expensive hero models, but would throw together some excess parts or an off the shelf ERTL kit hehe (they usually shoot ~3 model explosions).

TNG, VOY and DS9 all used models at various points. VOY and DS9 switched to CGI of course. TNG does have some experimental CGI.

Honestly I thought the shows went downhill once they could jam in tons of CGI battles. They also stopped bothering with shield effects on the ships and seemed to fill the hulls with gasoline because everything was always shooting flames out or going up in balls of fire. Endless space battles with aliens of the week probably didn't help keep the audience all that well either, methinks.

Go here if you are at all interested in how they shot Trek models.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEmXA0Itv6A
Go here too
http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/

This comment was edited on Dec 6, 2009, 11:51.

News Comments > EA Announces Record Gains, 1500 Job Cuts
15. Re: EA Announces Record Gains, 1500 Job Nov 9, 2009, 20:17 swaaye

Isn't this basically how we lost Origin and the other companies/IPs gobbled up by them?

EA buys out a dev house. The games from that dev never sold trillions of copies and didn't compete with <insert endless sports recycle job here>. Thus EA's acquired IP from those small companies is effectively buried for eternity.

It's not evil, but it is only good for EA. It hurts us because the "little" games don't have much chance. Risk averse public company fun.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Trailers
25. Re: Mass Effect 2 Trailers Nov 8, 2009, 21:00 swaaye

The traditional CRPG stats/leveling-oriented play is a hold over from RPG pen & paper board games. It's also a hold over from when video games were much more limited in how well they could simulate an environment. I'm not saying that this is ridiculous or anything, there is of course room for that kind of play too. But I would like to see less of that kind of detachment from the action. I don't like how people sometimes attribute the RPG genre to stats & leveling.

I think the first STALKER game is a good example of a skill-based-action RPG. It's essentially an Oblivion/Fallout 3 open-world RPG with shooter-style gameplay.

I was playing Deus Ex a few months back, for the first time really. Honestly I don't like the game much, partly because of how goofy the combat is (and partly because of how cheesy/preachy the dialog can be). It pretends to be more like a shooter, with real-time action, but it's really just a hybrid of the usual "RPG" elements and doesn't work very well IMO. I pushed through about half of the game before losing interest... Fallout 3 plays like this too, but less obviously. And of course so does Mass Effect.

I found Mass Effect to be a decent romp. It's a sci-fi movie. I'd call it an action/adventure game. It's a very on-rails experience. Very by-the-numbers, go there next and follow through the dialogs and do what the next guy says. The "choices" you are given feel very fake most of the time. The equipment aspect to the game is rather broken and lame, with the numerous Gun IX and Armor IV stuff. And the squad AI is horrible... But the atmosphere is great!

This comment was edited on Nov 8, 2009, 21:18.

News Comments > The Old Republic Jedi Details
12. Re: So... Oct 30, 2009, 22:06 swaaye

Jango didn't do so hot once Samuel L. took direct notice of him.  

News Comments > ATI Ending DX9 Support for Many Cards
25. Re: ATI Ending DX9 Support for Many Cards Oct 28, 2009, 23:24 swaaye

The X1900 series isn't exactly ancient and it's not like it's too gimpy for Aero or most of the wonderful console ports we get. Some of the IGPs they've dropped support for were being sold only a couple of years old (ex 740G).

But the thing is, the OS includes drivers. You can also use the Vista drivers, which are currently Cat 9.8. ATI does release updates for the oldies but just not as often. Besides, the monthly packs are actually somewhat "artificially" new anyway (that's why you see hotfixes sometimes, due to the actual lag in their production).

I don't like how they say they won't bother to even put out a full real Win7 pack just once for them though.

NVIDIA's no better though. They release drivers for their old cards, but they have a tendency to have issues and break features that once worked. I've enjoyed this firsthand.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2009, 23:29.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Force Unleashed PC Specs
27. Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed PC Specs Oct 23, 2009, 16:53 swaaye

I played a good chunk of the game on 360 and yeah I would definitely NOT pay more than $20 for this game. In fact, I'd prefer to ignore it and instead play the JK series.

Err, no, that's completely wrong. You HAVE to compress with 360. 360 discs have a max content capacity of ~6.8 gigs. Both MS and Sony provide tools for compressing games with their respective SDKs.
Ok so I worded that badly. Obviously the 360 uses compressed texture, audio, and video formats. But with a PC game, typically the game is compressed again into cab files on the installation media and then decompressed when installed. The PC game will still usually have various compressed file formats. Sometimes PC games have rather uncompressed assets though, such as with maps with the Unreal Engine games.

However, I'm fairly sure that there is data duplication on 360 DVDs because of how the DVD drive has to read sequentially to keep speed up during the noisy continuous streaming it does.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 2009, 17:00.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Force Unleashed PC Specs
19. Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed PC Specs Oct 23, 2009, 00:43 swaaye

The requirements are rather curious.

-SM3 minimum, but they list SM4 cards for min
-Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz or A64 X2 5200+? The former is like 2x faster.
-24GB install? A Xbox 360 DVD is about 8GB and the data has to stream off of it realtime (ie it's not super compressed.)
-Recommended requirements are not much different than minimum.
-Radeon 4870 or GF 9800 GT as recommended? Those aren't in the same class really....

I'm sensing morons on the other end of these requirements.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 2009, 00:49.

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Gold in Russia
13. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Gold in Russia Sep 20, 2009, 15:22 swaaye

I didn't buy SoC until 1.005 was out. I think I'll do the same here prolly. It's much cheaper living this way too.  

News Comments > Steam Top Ten
9. Re: Jedi Knight collection Sep 20, 2009, 15:10 swaaye

Well, I can run it at 16x10, which surprises me...
JK just enumerates whatever your display driver allows.

News Comments > BioShock 2 to Surface Feb 2010
21. Re: BioShock 2 in Feb 2010 Sep 19, 2009, 18:24 swaaye

I don't understand why so many claim to have liked it.
Ideas:
1) Young minds, light on the past experiences, easily contented.
2) Gamers who have a fetish for extreme linearity.
3) Gamers who never played a RPG/FPS hybrid before.
4) The cool setting/atmosphere made up for the problems.

I liked the game first time though. Thought it was decent, would give it a B. But I can't get interested in playing it again. And SS2 was better IMO (not rosy nostalgia as I played it right before BS.)

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 2009, 18:40.

202 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo