Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ... ..

Real Name ... ..   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname swaaye
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 19, 2008, 01:54
Total Comments 223 (Novice)
User ID 49717

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlezone (1998) Remake Plans
21. Re: Battlezone (1998) Remake Plans Jun 29, 2015, 21:44 swaaye

Nice. I'll probably buy this in a blink.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Grey Goo Free DLC
6. Re: Grey Goo Free DLC Jun 10, 2015, 17:43 swaaye

Look it up on the 'Tube. It's a fairly standard C&C/Starcraft-ish RTS design. Pretty nice visuals.  

News Comments > CDPR: "Too Early" to Discuss Cyberpunk 2077
19. Re: CDPR: May 27, 2015, 13:39 swaaye

It could be that they've started over with the project. Who knows.  

News Comments > More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy
59. Re: More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy May 20, 2015, 13:48 swaaye

Verno wrote on May 20, 2015, 12:47:
It wasn't support calls, it was BSODs being audio driver related and you can thank Creative for that. Creative drivers were responsible for something absurd like 14% of all Vista BSODs. Microsoft gave them a million chances which Creative squandered and finally got fed up.
I imagine it was partly motivated by a desire to reduce the audio driver's ability to bring down the system but I doubt niche Creative was the main reason. Most people have Intel, Realtek, Analog Devices, or VIA HD audio. It's been like that since audio integrated into motherboards.

News Comments > More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy
56. Re: More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy May 20, 2015, 12:13 swaaye

Hairworks apparently uses geometry shaders and lots of tessellation. From what I can comprehend, Hairworks is very demanding for NV, but really extremely demanding for AMD. NVidia has focused more on geometry processing in their GPUs than AMD has. However, apparently Hairworks goes overboard with the tessellation, beyond what is needed to make the hair look "good" so this is part of the problem too. The geometry complexity can be toned down considerably with no visual change. The AMD control panel tessellation slider can control this to some extent.

So in other words, NV designed it for their architecture and also made it super demanding to help sell high-end hardware. Oh shocking.

Anyway that's the deal. I thought I would post after seeing most of the other comments were nonsensical AMD vs. NV anecdotes as usual.

News Comments > DOOM Reveal at E3
19. Re: DOOM Reveal at E3 May 18, 2015, 16:06 swaaye

Yeah Doom3 was like the benchmark of terrible games. Or something. Hey wait....I actually enjoyed it for the most part.

After Doom, Doom II, Ultimate Doom and Final Doom, I guess they wanted to go in a bit of a different direction with the horror approach. Doom3 was like a good Doom64.

The tragedy was that they didn't take multiplayer coop seriously. That was a bizarre oversight.

News Comments > DOOM Reveal at E3
16. Re: DOOM Reveal at E3 May 18, 2015, 15:59 swaaye

Doom3 is 11 years old. We need a reboot!!!!  

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Sales Disappoint
38. Re: Alien: Isolation Sales Disappoint May 11, 2015, 17:22 swaaye

Kajetan wrote on May 11, 2015, 17:18:
It is, when this big budget is spend on a horror survival game, which caters to only a small fraction of the market. When you spend a lot of dollars, you have to make sure that this game is for a broad audience. Horror survival is a niche. I was surprised that AI sold over 2 mio.

And yes, the more expensive your game is, the more it has to be dumbed and watered down, the more it has to follow popular features and genres. Because that's what those AAA games are for ... to make big money for the majors.
I guess the question is how much did it really cost? Who knows. 2 million sales seems like a strange number to call "disappointing" though.

36. Re: Alien: Isolation Sales Disappoint May 11, 2015, 17:08 swaaye

Kajetan wrote on May 11, 2015, 14:59:
While rising costs are true (without slowing down, hence the utter need for the majors to make as much money as possible with overpriced DLC), spending a big budget on a niche game like Alien Isolation is outright stupid.
In other words a bleeding edge technology survival horror with a movie license, a lot of game content, motion captured animation, and professional voice work is an untenable game concept in today's gaming industry?

This comment was edited on May 11, 2015, 17:19.

35. Re: Alien: Isolation Sales Disappoint May 11, 2015, 17:01 swaaye

DangerDog wrote on May 11, 2015, 16:37:
I wonder how much money they spent on bringing back the original cast to do voice-over work for the really lame DLC pack they made?

You also have to factor in the price SEGA paid to use the Alien franchise which I bet cost them a huge amount of their budget. I remember that's why Bethesda dropped the Terminator license way back when it was still a thing.

The best part of the game was the music and atmosphere, they really nailed both. The mission structure could have allowed more freedom to explore, I found the whole system of assembling devices from scrap parts uninteresting and aside from health kits unnecessary.

All good points. The DLC was all uninteresting to me. It just felt like it was made to satisfy the expectation to have DLC these days.

I would have liked more exploration. I also would have liked to see the loading zones entirely gone. It seems like streaming in content should be achievable these days. Make the experience feel cohesive, instead of like a video game with levels.

This comment was edited on May 11, 2015, 17:12.

30. Re: Alien: Isolation Sales Disappoint May 11, 2015, 14:49 swaaye

2.1m is disappointing? I suppose it's possible that is true. Games cost a lot more to make these days, even more than PS360 era. You really have no concept of it just by playing the games. Go look at the credits for a major modern game sometime and see how many people are involved.

I loved Alien Isolation. But apparently a lot of you guys aren't into survival horror without lots of shooting and with true horror involved. I get into stuff like Outlast, Penumbra, and Amnesia and it actually has more action than those games.

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Trailer
29. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Trailer May 8, 2015, 13:16 swaaye

It's fascinating to me that the X series has as many entries as it does. People keep buying it. I was bored out of my mind with X2! They are good at selling it.  

News Comments > Star Trek on GOG.com
26. Re: Star Trek on GOG.com May 8, 2015, 00:51 swaaye

BTW, there are also NES and Gameboy-based Star Trek 25th Anniversary games. The interesting thing is none of these are ports of each other. They are all unique adventures.

This comment was edited on May 8, 2015, 00:57.

News Comments > Star Trek on GOG.com
22. Re: Star Trek on GOG.com May 7, 2015, 16:29 swaaye

SFA was this delayed disaster of a project with all sorts of culled content. The manual describes game aspects that don't exist. And it plays mostly like TIE Fighter. The redeeming qualities are the FMV, I suppose. And a weird-but-interesting thing is they hired Ron Jones to score the soundtrack, giving it a bizarre TNG feel!

Klingon Academy was pretty low budget aside from yet more FMV. It runs on a modified SFA engine. Nicely modified, but it still has some of that not-quite-right fast space fighter feel to it. It almost launched with a 640x480 limit too! Near the end of development a programmer managed to add in higher resolution support but it does a simple stretch of all the 640x480 2D screens, causing ugly aliasing. And I recall that once it launched, 14 Degrees East was to be shut down, except for a few programmers who worked on a patch or two.

I really dug the space "environments" they came up with. Getting the AI to wander too near to the black hole was awesome.

This comment was edited on May 7, 2015, 16:40.

News Comments > Singularity Revival Teased
18. Re: Singularity Revival Teased Mar 24, 2015, 13:19 swaaye

Singularity felt like an extra linear Bioshock / Half Life to me. All Raven shooters are really simple and linear experiences. It also shares a vibe with that weak Wolfenstein game of theirs that came out around the same time. Both games flopped from what I read, and took out 2 Raven development teams, turning them into a CoD DLC factory.

I'm not convinced returning to Singularity as if it is a great brand is such a great idea. A return to Hexen or Heretic would probably be smarter indeed. But the thing to remember is they are at Activision's whim and have to convince those guys to pay them. I suppose Singularity has potential if a bright designer can come up with something really compelling.

And let me also say that Singularity (and Wolfenstein) badly needed a FOV slider. Yikes. Mods of course came to the rescue for both.

This comment was edited on Mar 24, 2015, 13:34.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy
5. Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 11:59 swaaye

He was pretty crazy even back when he was working on Wing Commander and turned it into an expensive shitty movie, and then literally made a shitty movie about it.

Freelancer was originally supposed to be like Star Citizen. But MS didn't want to fund its dreamy idealistic development. Today we have people who want to live in Star Citizen, easy ways to give money, and a mentality that paying for alpha-level games is cool and enabling. So Star Citizen is certainly going to work out to some degree. It's a new form of MMO at this point. Narcotic space game.

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Safe Haven DLC Released
6. Re: Alien: Isolation Safe Haven DLC Released Jan 13, 2015, 16:39 swaaye

Alien Isolation and Outlast have things in common. But in AI you have guns, explosives, etc. It's definitely a stealth/horror game though in a sort of Dead Space-like space setting and with Dead Space-style minimal character interaction and story presentation.

AI isn't very demanding. It ran very well on my GTX 560. Of course this does depend on how high of a resolution you need to push.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines and AvP 2010 No Longer Sold on Steam
29. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines and AvP 2010 No Longer Sold on Steam Jan 3, 2015, 09:28 swaaye

ACM has had major patches that add a lot of graphics pretties that make it look like those early videos anyway.

There is some serious groupthink hatred out there for the game. The usual intarwebz deal. It's not a terrible game. I enjoyed it a bit but it's certainly nothing fresh and new, nor does it have high production values.

News Comments > Roberts on Star Citizen in 2015: "No Finish Line"
35. Re: Roberts on Star Citizen in 2015: Jan 3, 2015, 09:21 swaaye

Yeah I'd get my money back if I could. I went in way back in the beginning just looking for Squadron 42. Just some single player Wing Commander / Starlancer-like stuff. I'm not looking for a multiplayer space lifestyle lol.  

News Comments > Gone Gold - The Evil Within; Specs Revealed
22. Re: Gone Gold - The Evil Within; Specs Revealed Sep 25, 2014, 23:55 swaaye

They recommend the i7 because of the texture transcode function of the engine AFAIK. It hasn't really been important to have an i7 in previous idTech 4/5 games.

The game looks kinda Resident Evil-y to me. Dunno. But that seems like the way big budget survival horror goes.

223 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo