Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Nucas

Real Name Nucas   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Nucas
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description mayor of FUNKVILLE, BABY!!!
Homepage http://
Signed On May 10, 2008, 04:00
Total Comments 438 (Amateur)
User ID 49584

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > Game of Thrones: A Telltale Games Series Ends Next Month
6. Re: Game of Thrones: A Telltale Games Series Ends Next Month Oct 24, 2015, 01:33 Nucas

Bundy wrote on Oct 21, 2015, 20:53:
Nucas wrote on Oct 21, 2015, 17:38:
Bundy wrote on Oct 21, 2015, 14:26:
I had high hopes for this game but was immensely disappointed with it. They took Martin's "the good guys sometimes lose the battle" trope way too far. You lose every single damn time. No matter what choices you make or how successful your QTE reflexes are. In the end, something will happen and your character and their family will be worse off. In one of the last chapters you even had the option to "stab Ramsey". I laughed, knowing that it didn't matter Ramsey was looking the other way, or that his men were way beyond reach. Something would happen that would prevent the stabbing. And I was right.

Regret my purchase with this series.

to be fair, the show totally went off the deep end with that too. it used to be a story that wouldn't cheat to let the good guys win - it's now a story that cheats to make sure they lose.

I'm one of those book elitists whose known all the events on the show for a few years now. They're handled a bit better in the novels than the show. Mostly in that there's more story around each of the events that show why it plays out in that particular way. But I do recall throwing the book across the room a few times. Usually after some jackass dumb choice a protagonaist makes that u know will get them killed. The events around Meereen in the last novel were particularly bad.

at least in the books the best swordsman in westeros wasn't stabbed to death in an alley by a bunch of rich aristocrats' kids and the best battlefield commander on the continent didn't lead an army out of formation to its death. oh, and murder his daughter. those changes were cheap, and felt devoid of impact as such.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Sells 500K Copies
17. Re: Pillars of Eternity Sells 500K Copies Oct 24, 2015, 01:28 Nucas

Jerykk wrote on Oct 23, 2015, 23:02:
Cutter wrote on Oct 23, 2015, 19:53:
Given what a disappointment the game was they won't see sales like that again. And it's PoE, Path of Exile is PoEx.

Hmm... a quick glance at Metacritic shows a critic average of 89 and a user average of 8.4. On Steam, almost 5000 people gave PoE a positive review, with the overall rating being "Very Positive." Given these facts, I fail to see how PoE is a disappointment.

On a more relevant note, these numbers seem low. According to SteamSpy, there are about 550k owners on Steam alone. Throw in GOG and I'd expect total sales to be at least 600k.

ahh, that answers the question i was going to ask: how much of that 500k was backer redemptions? apparently 0 given the total number of owners. half a mil isn't bad for a "dead" genre.

hopefully enough for a followup. it was a solid BG1-esque entry (feeling out their weirdo game mechanics and setting).. now that they've got a feel for it all, it's time for the masterpiece BG2-esque sequel.

News Comments > Game of Thrones: A Telltale Games Series Ends Next Month
4. Re: Game of Thrones: A Telltale Games Series Ends Next Month Oct 21, 2015, 17:38 Nucas

Bundy wrote on Oct 21, 2015, 14:26:
I had high hopes for this game but was immensely disappointed with it. They took Martin's "the good guys sometimes lose the battle" trope way too far. You lose every single damn time. No matter what choices you make or how successful your QTE reflexes are. In the end, something will happen and your character and their family will be worse off. In one of the last chapters you even had the option to "stab Ramsey". I laughed, knowing that it didn't matter Ramsey was looking the other way, or that his men were way beyond reach. Something would happen that would prevent the stabbing. And I was right.

Regret my purchase with this series.

to be fair, the show totally went off the deep end with that too. it used to be a story that wouldn't cheat to let the good guys win - it's now a story that cheats to make sure they lose.

News Comments > Star Citizen Status Update
137. Re: Star Citizen Status Update Oct 21, 2015, 17:23 Nucas

all this just makes me remember how derek smart was talking about trying to purchase the FreeSpace license when the publisher went belly up. thank fuck that never happened.  

News Comments > StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Preloads
2. Re: StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Preloads Oct 17, 2015, 22:38 Nucas

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 17, 2015, 13:29:
considering how shit poor internet is in some places giving a few weeks to download it is always a good thing.
and potentially cut down on a diablo-3-launch style debacle.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Win 10 upgrades Oct 17, 2015, 04:18 Nucas

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 23:55:
Haha! It was "accidental" the Windows Update automatically selected the "optional" Win 10 OS upgrade. Sure it was an accident.. and the check is the mail, and I promise not to come in your mouth..

tactful

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode Three Sets Dubious Record; HL3 Clue in Dota 2?
26. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode Three Sets Dubious Record; HL3 Clue in Dota 2? Oct 13, 2015, 11:35 Nucas

ForgedReality wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 19:54:
This video from March mentions HL3 as part of the Rubikon (Havok's physics engine replacement) testing tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTC0V0LWeGI

Probably all this hl3.txt file refers to, as DOTA 2 is now on the Source 2 engine, which incorporates Rubikon.

i don't think any of us really thought this was referring to half life but that's a sharp catch

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode Three Sets Dubious Record; HL3 Clue in Dota 2?
20. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode Three Sets Dubious Record; HL3 Clue in Dota 2? Oct 12, 2015, 14:12 Nucas

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 13:54:
Wallshadows wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 13:16:
Half-Life isn't even a great series. I never understood the hype around it then and certainly not now...

Zips up the flame suit

Well, I think HL1 deserves some credit for being the first real story-driven shooter with a AAA production budget, merging the gameplay and a rather spectacular cinematic feel at the time. Other shooters back then were mostly just that... shoot'em ups. Heck, id admitted that their MO was to create all the levels first and to think up a "story" connecting them later.

However, over the years we've seen many, many more story-driven shooters and today it's the norm. Even CoD and BF have campaigns with stories and then there is the good stuff, of course, like Deus Ex, Dishonored, BioShock, F.E.A.R and so on.
The world does not really need Gordon Freeman anymore and it is true that the HL story does not stand out as particularly interesting after all these years when compared to many other games that have come out in the meantime.

to each his own. i still like the idea of the accidental planemeld, humanity thrust into an ancient war against technological godheads that re-purpose every defeated race into a new set of tools; then the episodes made it a much more personal and character driven (for 2005) affair.

it's also still one of the few games i can think of where the heroes are scientists fighting toe-to-toe on the aliens own terms - technology and intellect. not some left-over military-styled infrastructure. though gordon freeman was apparently BORN to put aliens in the fucking ground.

News Comments > Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed
53. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 11, 2015, 20:31 Nucas

Drayth wrote on Oct 11, 2015, 20:20:
Give Derek credit, he's been completely cool, collected and civil through out all of this. Not at all obsessive.

holy fuck is he crazy. i've been tangentially following this and i wasn't aware he was this obsessed with tearing star citizen down. he probably made time in his schedule for this (pushed back eating cereal in his boxers)

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Developers of Mysterious Wifatch Malware Come Forward. Oct 10, 2015, 03:54 Nucas

interesting story of infosec vigilantism. not super sophisticated, but interesting.  

News Comments > CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit
82. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 5, 2015, 13:51 Nucas

MajorD wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 13:46:
This whole things is laughable!

i was going to post some wordy thing but this really sums it up. terrible article by a terrible website, hilariously overblown response with minimal chance to succeed.

News Comments > Star Citizen Employees "Speak Out"
86. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 2, 2015, 07:44 Nucas

Peeeling wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 06:27:
(Originally posted in article comments. Re-iterating here with a few changes.)

It's heartbreaking to see people still trying to deny the obvious: Star Citizen is not happening. It's not about this article - I don't need anonymous sources or angry rival devs or horror stories about crazy management to tell me what I already know just from looking at the product itself.

i think "it's not happening" is going a bit far. chris roberts mismanaged digital anvil in the same way, introducing the same kind of feature creep into freelancer and that game was eventually released as an entertaining action-adventure space shooter romp - taken on it's own merits without considering the hype bullshit. though yes, it took a firm hand to take control of the situation from the self-styled-auteur "leadership" of roberts to make it happen.

i could see the same happening with star citizen if the egos involved manage to not pull a ken levine and say "this place is nothing without me, LIGHTS OUT". i mean there would be a requisite reduction in scope, of course - pare down the various ancillary gameplay modes to really minimal levels (basically just interjection type gameplay), put the space combat element front and center.

will the studio remain solvent? that's another matter.

News Comments > Cloud Imperium Games Layoff Report Follow-up
17. Re: Cloud Imperium Games Layoff Report Follow-up Sep 26, 2015, 14:12 Nucas

JAGUART wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 23:28:
Wallshadows wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 21:10:
We're going to fire people to hire people.

This happens all the time in large companies and many small ones. They'll easily chop heads to buy new office furniture and then rehire new people six months later. They simply don't give a damn about intellectual capital.

i've seen this happen repeatedly at my own company. "sorry, we need to reduce the management payroll, we're letting 4 of you go." less than a month later, new hires brought it.

i'll never understand the american corporate mentality that sees them use people up and discard them, rather than cultivate and develop them.

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Financials; WoW at 5.6M Subs
5. Re: Activision Blizzard Financials; WoW at 5.6M Subs Aug 4, 2015, 18:29 Nucas

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 4, 2015, 18:27:
Mmo's too many are like LSD. After a while all that is left is a bad trip so people get out.
this may be my favorite gaming analogy ever.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 24, 2015, 12:14 Nucas

hhaahha "e-gaming". and then the article has the old coverart from half life 1 counter-strike with the sub "a screenshot of Counter-Strike".

really though, trying to create an 'anti-doping' policy? no one is going to take 'e-sports' seriously no matter how much you want it to look like a real sport. this article, with clearly no research done, shows it.

that kid was retarded as fuck though. "yeah i don't even care. we were all using adderall, because we're tough guys. someone, please like me. anyone."

News Comments > Minecraft: Story Mode Trailer
3. Re: Minecraft: Story Mode Trailer Jul 4, 2015, 16:21 Nucas

a one trick pony is born.  

News Comments > On Star Citizen FPS Delays
46. Re: On Star Citizen FPS Delays Jun 29, 2015, 17:13 Nucas

Zor wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 17:04:
Cutter wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 16:06:
Yes, but SQ42 is episodic now, so if and when it ever gets delivered it'll be a decade before it's done at this rate. All the real time and money is going into the P2W online game.

Let's just ignore the most recent information from CIG that the first "episode" of Squadron 42 is going to be what most studios release as a full retail title in playable content. *eyeroll*

And, um, what P2W are you referring to? It's a skill based game, not an RPG loot/gear/stats based game. Nor is there anything like a War Thunder/World of Tanks ammo shop.

it's my understanding they have done continuous fundraising by selling capital ships for thousands of dollars at various junctions. do the purchasers not have an advantage by doing this? is that not paying to win?

News Comments > RONIN Next Week
5. Re: RONIN Next Week Jun 24, 2015, 05:59 Nucas

Cutter wrote on Jun 23, 2015, 18:24:
"What's in the case?"

i don't remember.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 19, 2015, 04:17 Nucas

Julio wrote on Jun 18, 2015, 19:37:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 18, 2015, 14:56:
Not sure why she's inspiring so much hate.

Nobody likes people who make false discrimination accusations. They're about as popular as false rape accusers.
christ, here we go..

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 13, 2015, 02:56 Nucas

blackberry still betting their business on people wanting to push hardware buttons.  

438 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo