Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Nucas

Real Name Nucas   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Nucas
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description mayor of FUNKVILLE, BABY!!!
Homepage http://
Signed On May 10, 2008, 04:00
Total Comments 333 (Amateur)
User ID 49584

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Multiplayer Details
16. Re: Star Citizen Multiplayer Details Nov 11, 2012, 21:22 Nucas

i frankly love space sims and still do my yearly playthrough of FS2 but i just can't get excited about this game because it sounds so ambitious i can't believe there's a disciplined team on the planet that can deliver it without a publisher's budget.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
14. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 11, 2012, 21:20 Nucas

Beamer wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 17:04:
Does Sony even do local dimming yet? As of recently (~12 months or so) I know it was just edge lit. Local dimming has its issues, but edge lighting... ug.

I'm ok with the power consumption in exchange for image quality. It's the bright room performance that damns plasmas for me. I love mine, but sometimes, on Sunday morning, it's quite difficult to see.

Still love it. Adore it.

i realize this is coming late but local dimming was available in the HX909 in 2010, and continues to be available in the HX929 of 2011 and HX950 of 2012, and now it's being introduced downward; but the mid range tvs are still heavily reliant on dynamic edge-lighting.

News Comments > Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition Next Year
12. Re: Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition Next Year Nov 11, 2012, 21:16 Nucas

Zarkonis wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 16:15:
Don't care. Where's BG3?

i've often wondered what BG3 would even be about, and was cynically thinking how it would have to be about you amid the celestial planes as a new god, doing battle against other deities, gathering worshippers.. and the more i think about it the more i think that sounds fucking awesome.

News Comments > MoH SEAL Consultants Reprimanded
25. Re: MoH SEAL Consultants Reprimanded Nov 9, 2012, 17:24 Nucas

Cutter wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 14:35:
Trainwreck wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 12:45:
And the soldier who released buttloads of CLASSIFIED information to Wikileaks did it intentionally with the harm of hurting the US. It was an act of treason, and the sheer volume of information released warrants a heavy prison sentence, if not death. It is not comparable to what the SEALs did, and they received more than a slap on the wrist.

You mean like Reagan, North, Bush Sr., Weinberger, etc. all involved in the treasonous act of Iran-Contra? That sort of treason for which there were pardons? Or more like the Nixon sort of treason - for which he too was pardoned? Or the Karl Rove outing CIA operatives sort of treason? Geez, all those republicans that committed treason were pardoned or never brought to trial and yet when a kid actually does the right thing they decide to make an example of him and violate not only his constitutional rights but human rights as well. Funny how that works, isn't it?

i find myself agreeing with you more by the day.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 9, 2012, 16:54 Nucas

killer_roach wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 15:55:
But yeah, Sony's TV business is what's making them head off the rails, mostly borne out of an identity crisis in their market positioning. They're not high enough quality to compete with Samsung, but they're not cheap enough to compete with Philips, LG, or Vizio. They're just occupying a weird middle ground that doesn't seem to make them particularly palatable to anyone.
while i admire a lot of the design aesthetics of samsung, i've heard the sony HX929 called the best looking TV available.

sony is working to bring their tv products back in line with their brand reputation after cheapening up during the recession in a bid to try to keep sales going.

still doing better than sharp, at least.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
19. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 4, 2012, 21:39 Nucas

Jerykk wrote on Nov 4, 2012, 21:19:
As with any game of its type, Dishonored's length is entirely dependent on how you play. If you play stealthy, explore every nook and cranny, steal every piece of loot, read every book and note and eavesdrop on every NPC conversation, you'll get 30-40 hours out of the game (especially if you avoid killing or incapacitating anyone). If you don't care about any of that stuff and just run around killing everything, you can probably beat the game in 10 hours. However, if you just want to run around killing stuff, this type of game probably isn't what you're looking for.
this is 100% truth. i'm sitting at 38 hours just after the fight with daud, which was literally the game-making moment, especially on a low chaos playthrough, as additional Whalers keep blinking in and briefly attacking and he keeps ordering them back. it was just outstanding. the parallels drawn between your characters are interesting, also.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 4, 2012, 19:19 Nucas

glad to see dishonored hanging in there.

i was really surprised when i found out daud was voiced by michael madsen, because the acting was, like, good.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
33. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Oct 29, 2012, 11:39 Nucas

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 29, 2012, 11:21:
nin wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 20:05:
I'm just going to toss this in here and run.

Oh look, another pretentious Hollywood liberal trying to tell people what's best. Gee, you'd think that people would have learned to ignore them by now, especially when they use DNC talking points.

i would be very interested in hearing which policies mitt romney and paul ryan are planning to enact you specifically think will benefit you, or the nation. i do not anticipate a response.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
31. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Oct 29, 2012, 11:06 Nucas

Axis wrote on Oct 28, 2012, 22:36:
Give me his "height of power" (no specific dates notice??) timeline and I'll tell you the answer. BUT.. he has no timeline, only the implied information HE choose not to share. Because he's full of shit pretending he knows WTF is up and I already called him on it.

Can't turn that around Teabag, try as you may.

i've tried to understand how "conservatives" like that guy think, and how to penetrate their armor, but it's really like having a favorite sports team to them. they will never, ever allow themselves to see the truth because (i'm assuming) they've internalized it/made it part of their personal identity and become angry when you present facts that contradicts what they think because they perceive it as a personal attack. it's depressing. they get so angry and argue so obstinately to dismantle their own livelihood on behalf of the super-rich. i can't even argue with them anymore.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
19. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 25, 2012, 10:17 Nucas

Verno wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 09:28:
The complaints have already been explained in detail over the course of several threads. If you want to make it into one big straw man that people just don't want the Start Button to change then that's your problem.

If the operating system is going to evolve then it would be nice if they actually you know, did that instead of just wasting a shitload of screen real estate in their latest bid to become Apple.

ok, so you don't find it the least bit ridiculous that no defense of windows 8 is possible without literally being accused of receiving a paycheck from microsoft?

as to the complaints that have apparently been addressed, all i've seen here on blues is, yes, essentially hyperbolic fear and complaints about the UI, and a refusal to see how this will improve life for most people, particular the poor normies.

perhaps this is where you and i are different. my day to day drudgery sees me in contact with people who, after years of using a computer, cannot copy and paste a link. the act of holding a mouse button and dragging over words and right clicking for a context menu and selecting copy is second nature to us because of who we are; we're reading blues news for a reason, but don't convince yourself that it's intuitive.

the reaction from this extremely large population that i've personally seen thus far has been quite positive. if you haven't had the benefit of such first hand observations then that is unfortunate and we will just have to agree to disagree. time will tell, just as it did with the much derided windows XP which had practically the same puerile "sesame street operating system" insults present in this thread leveled at it 8 years ago because it dared to be easier to use.

This comment was edited on Oct 25, 2012, 10:33.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
14. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 25, 2012, 09:21 Nucas

InBlack wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 03:23:
DrSquick wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 22:23:
I know people are hating on Windows 8 pretty hard, but I don't mind the new start menu at all. What I did was move my most used apps to the far left side, and it turns out I really only use about 8 apps regularly...

Then for everything else I search anyway, I just press start and type the name of the app.

Windows 8 offers some improvements to the task manager file copy utility. Besides that I haven't noticed any real improvements, so I certainly wouldn't pay to upgrade my 7 machines, but on a new computer I'm not going to downgrade.

Go back to Redmond you fucking shill spy!

this is honestly like almost as bad as reading conservative fanatacism on freerepublic or something. i can't tell if you're being sardonic or not because all the comments here are so fucking crazy. THE SKY IS FALLING! THE 1990'S ERA UI HAS CHANGED AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
26. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 22, 2012, 00:30 Nucas

Bhruic wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 00:23:
Nucas wrote on Oct 21, 2012, 21:17:
the windows desktop was 20 years old, do any of you use any other piece of technology that fucking antiquated?

You stop using a technology when there's something superior. There's a reason that MacOS, KDE, Gnome, etc all use a similar style of desktop as Windows, and that's because it's an efficient one for humans to use. That doesn't mean something better can't come along - but "Metro" is definitely not it.

after two decades i would offer that perhaps this old scheme seems to be ideally efficient due to simple, ubiquitous familiarity, not some inherent intuitive value.

24. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 22, 2012, 00:20 Nucas

Dades wrote on Oct 21, 2012, 22:18:
This is not the easy transition nor does it have as many tangible benefits for "regular users" as you would like to paint it. The usage model for dicking around with twitter, email and facebook has been largely solved by smartphones already, tablets to a lesser extent. Microsoft is incredibly late to the media consumption game and their approach will likely anger many users, normal and otherwise.

i would like to hear how the new visual presentation is going to inconvenience, let alone anger a regular user beyond the initial shallow learning curve; because what you have said instead is "other companies have already tried to make content consumption easy so microsoft shouldn't bother". for the average user, for whom nearly 70% of their time is spent in a web browser, the learning curve consists entirely of learning how to pull out the charms bar.

19. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 21, 2012, 21:17 Nucas

RailWizard wrote on Oct 21, 2012, 17:47:
I'm amazed they haven't backed down yet. They must really want that store....
people who say this - or worse, think they're going to "wait this one out" just don't get it. this is microsoft's plan for the future, and short of a customer revolt so severe it nearly destroys the company, you're going to need to get used to it. windows phone, xbox smartglass and windows now all share critical UI features and automatic synchronicity.

the UI is simple to pick up and, yes, it's going to make life for normal people easier. my mother has never been able to remember how to copy and paste a URL but was able to learn how to use the share charm in 2 days.

jumping between metro and the classic desktop could be smoother, and hopefully that's something they work on, but microsoft was losing marketshare with a stagnant product and they knew it. this is the kind of change they needed to stay relevant, and unifying all their products has been over a decade in the making.

as long as there's adequate training at the retail level (which really looks very so-so, they're fucking up here) average users are going to benefit from this. the windows desktop was 20 years old, do any of you use any other piece of technology that fucking antiquated?

4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 21, 2012, 14:49 Nucas

IT'S DIFFERENT! I'M SCARED  

News Comments > GOG.com's Interplay Sale
2. Re: GOG.com's Interplay Sale Oct 19, 2012, 19:42 Nucas

i actually find it somewhat pathetic how interplay manages to barely hold on to life, year after year.  

News Comments > Obsidian Kickstarter
118. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 17, 2012, 11:25 Nucas

Kajetan wrote on Sep 16, 2012, 11:03:
nin wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 22:14:
While it is slowing now, I'd be very surprised if they didn't hit all those (up to/including 2.2) by the end.
Expect a huge bump when they add Paypal as an additonal payment option. A lot of people all over the world arent using credit cards. Me included, so expect my $35 any time soon
paypal just can't be trusted, but i guess obsidian can wield the public pressure often needed to make them pay up the large sums of money they collect. compelling business model! (we think you're laundering money, so we're going to freeze all your assets for a year)

News Comments > Obsidian Kickstarter
86. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 14, 2012, 21:20 Nucas

i've always speculated obsidian had the potential to shine if they never had a publisher meddling with their decisions. this will really be the moment of truth for them, in my eyes. let's see if it was the rushed shipped dates and executive meddling that made their titles so heavy with wasted potential, or if it's simply that this group of designers and managers are just not capable of following through on their ambitions.

regardless, i love the idea of established professionals who know how to deliver a game being able to design a game without the suits fucking with it.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 14, 2012, 05:15 Nucas

blues news was the first gaming site i'd ever visited back in the windows 95 days, but i didn't register here until apache really succeeded in killing voodoo extreme.

News Comments > Black Mesa Source This Month
40. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 2, 2012, 18:50 Nucas

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 14:05:
The fact is they couldn't keep any of their promises. I hold people to their word, and when someone can't live up to it multiple times that doesn't bode well.

THAT'S RIGHT PARDNERS, THIS SHERIFF RUNS A TIGHT SHIP

A MAN'S WORD USED TO MEAN SOMETHING IN THIS TOWN AND BY GOLLY I'LL BE SURE THESE VARMINTS PAY FOR..

FOR....

333 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo