Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Nucas

Real Name Nucas   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Nucas
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description mayor of FUNKVILLE, BABY!!!
Homepage http://
Signed On May 10, 2008, 04:00
Total Comments 333 (Amateur)
User ID 49584

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > Obsidian Layoffs
17. Re: Obsidian Layoffs Apr 27, 2011, 01:04 Nucas

i started worrying about this studio's future when i saw their new game is a dungeon siege sequel.

so far it just seems like obsidian hasn't been free to do their own thing on their own timetable. they're always doing somebody's sequel bitch work. kotor 2 was the worst, a young team without the clout bioware had to tell lucasarts to fuck off and wait for a good game.

then again it seems to go the other way too, they dallied around with alpha protocol too much, it should have been their breakout top shelf title. they pulled a valve and totally revamped the design halfway through, scrapped a lot of material and repurposed more to suit the new gameplay direction.. they just didn't get a half life out of it. it seriously needed probably another 6 months of content generation and polish, minimum.. co-incidentally about the same amount of time sega had them shelve the game without funding more work on it.

all this said, i've sincerely enjoyed every obsidian game i've played. i never encountered any of the supposed crippling bugs in nwn2. mask of the betrayer was superb. alpha protocol was a very solid game (after the intro saudi arabia levels which were bad enough to almost put me off it). there is nothing fallout 3 did better than new vegas.

i think there's a lot of talent in need of better leadership and better luck.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: Voice Actors... Apr 2, 2011, 05:21 Nucas

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 1, 2011, 12:37:
I still have nightmares from that voice. For the record, the German Voice Acting was also exceptional (for a change!) and switching between the 2 languages i noticed that there was hardly any difference (except the language). I wish all Voice Acting would be done this well, not like in Dragon Age 2 where people talk in freaky dialects, which simply does not translate into other languages (its a noob error for voice recording)
every language has dialects, exploiting them for flavor isn't a mistake. having everyone speak with a faux british accent is a mistake that i'm glad they're moving away from. i'd love to hear the russian localization of da2 myself and see if they took advantage of regional accents as well. "noob" "error", whatever you say boring guy.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Music industry will force licenses on Amazon Cloud Player—or else. Mar 31, 2011, 12:28 Nucas

i think amazon's position makes sense. they just enable consumers to make fair use of their purchased music.

i don't expect it to go well for them in court, though. the american government should be assuming a new role in this century: protecting citizens from the mega-corporations that care only about quarterly revenue gains at any cost.

unfortunately the few with mountains of wealth at their disposal have already integrated themselves into washington too tightly to see the rights of citizens prioritized.

and so the judicial system will do it's part for their corporate sponsors, i'm sure. someone has to fund that re-election campaign, after all. or, even better, need to lay the groundwork to retire into a cushy private sector job! this is america, get yours at any price.

News Comments > Magicka: Vietnam Next Month
1. Re: Magicka: Vietnam Next Month Mar 31, 2011, 12:08 Nucas

i can't decide if that's interesting or fucking retarded. really on the fence here.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Misc Mar 31, 2011, 02:16 Nucas

space captain wrote on Mar 27, 2011, 13:20:
Cutter wrote on Mar 27, 2011, 00:35:
Really? Provide us some examples. And know that regardless of what you provide I can provide them about the US on the scale of about 100 to 1. So yeah, you're right, not only in America...just mostly in America.

what a dumbfuck

there was a time i actually didn't like space captain.. looking back, i really can't think of why.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Japan quake hit iPod battery supply Mar 31, 2011, 01:59 Nucas

This plant is important for Apple and likely scores of other electronics makers because it produces 70 percent of the world’s supply of a polymer — polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF) — critical to lithium-ion battery manufacturing, specifically the type of battery used in iPods.

that's crazy that nearly three quarters of global production comes from one factory.

i also find it funny how it's ipods first and foremost! but it's "likely" important to other products.

News Comments > Quote of the Day
4. Re: Quote of the Day Mar 13, 2011, 00:40 Nucas

StingingVelvet wrote on Mar 12, 2011, 11:22:
Prez wrote on Mar 12, 2011, 01:55:
Publishers still have a role and will for the foreseeable future, but it has definitely diminished with the explosion of digital distribution, and I for one find it a welcome and long overdue development.

True, true. I just hope singleplayer doesn't go down with them.

why would it?

News Comments > Evening Screenshots
2. Re: Evening Screenshots Feb 23, 2011, 19:40 Nucas

Jerykk wrote on Feb 23, 2011, 02:41:
While it's great that Bioware is supporting DX10 and 11, I'm pretty sure 99% of those effects could be done on DX9 with equal performance, if not better. And why are higher-res textures and dynamic lighting limited to DX10 and 11?

i hadn't really read up on the matter, i'll confess, but i've gathered over the years those restrictions were largely arbitrarily imposed as some artificial upgrade device for windows users, which can be sidestepped for at least one title i know of: halo 2.

it could just be clueless nerds repeating themselves though, i don't presume to speak with authority.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
6. Re: Chrome Feb 21, 2011, 09:42 Nucas

LemonJoose wrote on Feb 21, 2011, 02:27:
Both Google and Apple should just give up on web browsers. Neither of them can beat Firefox (let alone IE) for market share, despite the fact that they give their browsers away for free. They been trying for years, but nobody gives a crap. Firefox serves the needs of anyone who doesn't like IE.
it also consistently manages to be the least secure browser on the planet.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
3. Google May Kill Chrome URL Bar. Feb 20, 2011, 21:52 Nucas

i honestly hate google chrome, i find it to be so minimalistic that it circles back into just being obtuse.

i'm one of like five people using opera, have been for years. i've always found it to strike the ideal balance between usable space and intuitive function. and, as usual, it paves the way for the other companies to march behind. tabbed browsing, mouse gestures and on and on.. i think most people think firefox "invented" these things.

News Comments > Battle: Los Angeles Game Plans?
2. Re: Battle: Los Angeles Game Plans? Feb 20, 2011, 21:13 Nucas

not a terrible pedigree for a movie game, i actually liked time shift. should have been much better (i remember when the main character was supposed to be voiced by dennis quaid).

still, if the avatar and matrix games couldn't be good, even with active developer support from the movies' directors i don't know if anything can be. chronicles of riddick is firmly in the realm of "statistical anomaly".

News Comments > PC Gaming Alliance Interview
27. Re: PC Gaming Alliance Interview Jan 22, 2011, 06:57 Nucas

Acleacius wrote on Jan 22, 2011, 03:06:
Nothing these guys can do for REAL PC gaming. They would have to expose m$ and their most likely illegal trade practices. m$ have continually undermined the whole gaming industry in an attempt to make a substandard platform a priority development over more sophisticated and superior PC systems.

you're talking like this is some centralized conspiracy orchestrated by one company, that's just delusional.

it all comes down to the bottom line. publishers (and most developers, i would wager) are happy with the status quo. the effort, the time and money investment with developing art assets, and so on. just the other day i read some interview of some bigwig with thq (i may even have found it here on blues) basically saying "new hardware? no thanks!" because development cost will go up. that's capitalism.

the pc is so tightly tied to the console hardware cycle, i havn't had to upgrade my video card for probably 2 years now, and i play everything maxed the fuck out. it's no one company's fault, certainly not microsoft.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Obama administration moves forward with unique internet ID for all Americans. T Jan 10, 2011, 22:11 Nucas

LittleMe wrote on Jan 10, 2011, 21:44:
You are all sheep. It's the fluoride in your drinking water making you easy to control.
why contain it? it's cool.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 24, 2010, 01:38 Nucas

the republican party represents corporate self interest; fox news convinces the public their interests are actually served by voting in favor of actions that serve those ends, often at public expense. it's a beautiful cycle of corruption. see: inbred 'conservatives' making less than 20,000 dollars who live in trailers voting against "obamacare".  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2010, 22:30 Nucas

i'm honestly surprised anyone here actually liked stargate universe, i thought it was garbage and apparently the viewership agreed. the writers didn't want to write stargate anymore, they wanted to write some fucking stupid soap opera with a popular franchise as a backdrop.

i used to get away with watching sg1 or atlantis with my roommates but when i watched the series premier of universe it was so embarrassing i had to turn it off and apologize.

they canceled atlantis, a good show with a proven track record, so they could fund universe and destroy the brand. bravo.

i remember five years ago scifi had the power trio - sg1, atlantis and battlestar galactica. now they have ghost hunters and wrestling.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Announced
17. Re: Mass Effect 3 Announced Dec 12, 2010, 21:01 Nucas

Bumpy wrote on Dec 12, 2010, 17:13:
I suppose its too much wishful thinking that this will be an open world game taking place on several different planets? Thought so.
very first 60 second cg promo trailer is released a year out guys! let's all assume the very worst!
WHOA WHO GOT HALO IN MY MASS EFFECT??!

jesus christ, what a load of god damn blubbering over nothing. the series has gotten better with each game, i expect more of the same.

News Comments > No PC Dead Space 2 Demo
22. Re: No PC Dead Space 2 Demo Dec 9, 2010, 03:25 Nucas

spindoctor wrote on Dec 9, 2010, 02:59:
Pleasing the crybabies/whiners/elitists/PC gamers is not only harder than rocket science, it is basically impossible and more to the point, it's an absolute waste of time to even try.

your signature was actually on my mind when i read the comments here initially.

News Comments > No PC Dead Space 2 Demo
18. Re: No PC Dead Space 2 Demo Dec 9, 2010, 00:50 Nucas

well, that's a pleasant surprise for me. last i'd heard news on dead space 2 it was that there was no pc sku planned so i started tuning it out, that was quite a while ago.

why all the venom for dead space 2? the first one was a competent port and there's no rumblings of any odious drm.

is it really because there's no demo? i would have thought people interested in this sequel would know what they're getting into from the first one.

some people here just sound like they're not happy if they aren't pissed off all the time.

News Comments > EA on Mirror's Edge
13. Re: EA on Mirror's Edge Nov 30, 2010, 11:54 Nucas

i thought mirror's edge was flawless, beginning to end. i even liked the slow parts, like the climbing up the atrium, just because i thought it was interesting (i guess they were trying to emphasize what someone with this skillset would be capable of besides just speed, at least that's what i took away from it)

it makes me feel weird when i hear developers or suits harping on about a game's perceived shortcomings when i didn't personally feel like it had any of them. it sounds like pandering.

i can agree with complaints about the narrative, though. derivative garbage. wouldn't have been so bad if it didn't make a point of taking itself so seriously.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 23, 2010, 23:05 Nucas

i've never had antivirus software running on my system. the most extreme i've ever gotten was running firewall software to micromanage ports, which i now do with my router anyway.

my protection system is quite comprehensive:
don't do anything stupid.
keep an eye on the running process list and it's tally once or twice a week (from a fresh install of windows to my regular software, the tally is always 30)
use opera since 2002, the most unpopular browser on the planet.
check windows update once a month.

wow! amazing! i do periodically scan (we're talking like once a year) my system and have never found anything remiss. i also format once a year or two just out of habit. also, fuck norton.

333 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo