Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for CH

Real Name CH   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Endo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 6, 2008, 23:34
Total Comments 279 (Amateur)
User ID 49520

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > Epic Making PC Exclusive Game
57. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 8, 2012, 22:50 Endo

This would be a lot more believable if this was 2006.

Frankly, I'm not holding my breath.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Secret World Preorders Include Beta Access
21. Re: The Secret World Preorders Include Beta Access Apr 3, 2012, 18:38 Endo

Smooth Gravy wrote on Apr 3, 2012, 18:07:
I'm excited to play this. I like the idea behind skill wheel system and the setting. Every game that comes out has issues nowadays. From what little I've been hearing, they have admitted to the flaws of AoC and they have teams spending equal amounts of time on each phase of the game up through end game. I'm looking forward to this more than GW2 myself. To each their own.
Likewise here, as this skill system to me offers a great deal more what I'm looking for than GW2.

News Comments > PC Ghost Recon Future Soldier in June; Specs; DRM Details
5. Re: PC Ghost Recon Future Soldier in June; Specs; DRM Details Apr 3, 2012, 14:23 Endo

Game announcement result: crickets
Game launch result: thud

News Comments > The Secret World Preorders Include Beta Access
8. Re: The Secret World Preorders Include Beta Access Apr 3, 2012, 12:43 Endo

I've actually gotten intrigued enough with this one in just the last couple weeks (never heard of it until recently) that I'm probably going to preorder it, despite Funcom's history. I really like what I'm seeing about it, and if preordering helps provide necessary funding to make it successful, I'm game for being a guinea pig.  

News Comments > Phantasy Star Online 2 This Summer?
1. Re: Phantasy Star Online 2 This Summer? Mar 26, 2012, 15:13 Endo

Yawn. Another MMO designed for console controls.  

News Comments > The Secret World's Character Progression
3. Re: The Secret World's Character Progression Mar 23, 2012, 17:33 Endo

Fion wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 14:27:
I wouldn't say it looks more like GW than GW2 does at all. It certainly offers a huge variety of skills to combine that will lead to a lot of meta. GW2 does the same, to a lesser extent. But beyond that I don't see any GW similarities.

On topic, that's a sweet video. I'm a big Funcom fan (despite their stumble on AoC) so I'm looking forward to this one. Not so much as I am GW2, but still quite a lot.
I guess for me, GW was all about the skill system. GW2 offers so much less flexibility here, it's not even in the same universe. With GW2, half your skill bar is determined by the weapon you're using. (That's somewhat OK if you're playing a warrior, but not at all for any other class.) Since there's only going to be a handful of different weapons truly useful for any given class, that doesn't give you as much flexibility as you might think. Of the other half, one of them has to be a very specific type of skill. And for the rest, you're stuck with choosing skills from just one class. It might still be OK, but it's going to be a pale shadow of what GW offered.

News Comments > More on Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions
42. Re: More on Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 23, 2012, 17:27 Endo

Krovven wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 02:05:
Endo wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 22:15:
The items referred to as P2W are items you MUST have to be able to compete with other players

Im not really interested in your incomplete definition of P2W. While yes it does pertain to some competitive games, it also pertains to getting bonuses and gear in PvE games too.

Paying for Experience bonuses is Pay 2 Win. Just like paying for Experience bonuses in Tribes Ascend is Pay 2 Win.

Sorry kid, you're flat wrong, as has been pointed out over and over. I was trying to be nice, but I guess it's wasted on you.

News Comments > The Secret World's Character Progression
1. Re: The Secret World's Character Progression Mar 23, 2012, 12:13 Endo

Ok so this game is looking really interesting. It looks a lot more like Guild Wars than Guild Wars 2 does. Going to have to keep tabs on this one.  

News Comments > Ubisoft's DRM Stance Softening?
10. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Stance Softening? Mar 23, 2012, 11:44 Endo

"Is it fair for someone to enjoy our content without us receiving some value for that? I think at the core of that is, no,"

And that mentality is exactly what is crippling our culture and our progress as a civilization. You don't have to monetize every little fucking thing you spend 5 minutes on. It's ok for some people to gain entertainment, pleasure, or other benefits from something you've worked on without you getting paid for it.

28. Re: More on Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 22, 2012, 22:15 Endo

Krovven wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 21:35:
eunichron wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 17:32:
wusel wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 15:12:
Judge yourself: leaked item shop screenshots

In my opinion, some of these items aren't vanity and should be in the game itself. I hope they'll add an ignore option for those megaphone broadcasts.

None of those items, to me, look like they would give the player any performance advantage over anyone else. Most of them are just convenience, or quality of life items, not necessary or advantageous at all for gameplay (the Perfect Salvage Kit might be debatable, but still not necessary).

Experience, Karma, Magic Find & Crafting boosts...those are all Pay 2 Win. At least they are only 1hr duration, but some wealthy folks I'm sure will buy as many as they need to get from 1 to 80. There are several other items on those screenshots that are borderline depending on their use. Are Mystic Keys available elsewhere in the game, or can I only loot chests in-game if I pay money to do so? What kind of items do the Loot Bags give? I'd assume this is just a sampling of what they will be selling.

Trading of Gold and Gems, making those items available to everyone (provided the Gem to Gold value isnt ridiculous) is tolerable. But they are walking a very fine line here. I wasnt a big fan of the first game, but I was going to buy this to play with friends. Now, I'm going to wait to see how much more information comes out.

Now, where are those that were saying GW2 wasn't Pay 2 Win?
No, these aren't items that are generally considered "Pay 2 Win". The items referred to as P2W are items you MUST have to be able to compete with other players, whether it be in PvP or for PvE slots in a good group. Typically these will be in the form of certain items you must have to upgrade your gear to the best possible stats (Runes of Magic is a good example here) or just gear itself, or long-term buffs. Technically the controversial items offered in GW2 are, as Mike O'Brien stated, simply "time-saving convenience items". You can get get all the same results without the boosts, it just takes longer. You can do what you need to with less bag space, it just takes more time because you have to run around a lot more and micromanage your inventory a lot more. However, these items are also the kind of items you'd generally not expect to have to buy with cash shop currency... unless the game is going the F2P route.

People are calling Diablo 3 Pay 2 Win because they're assuming there's going to be uber gear available on the AH that most players won't really be able to get any other way. Whether that will be the case remains to be seen, but it's probably a fair guess.

But getting back to GW2, the problem is people feel like the $60 they're paying for the game disqualifies it as F2P. But it doesn't. Look at the cheapest subscriptions for MMOs out there. You'll be hard pressed to find one at less than $10/month, and those aren't doing so well. So going by that, your $60 is at best enough for 6 months. LotRO offered a one-time payment lifetime subscription to beta testers, but it was $200. That's a heck of a lot more than $60, and it was ONLY available to beta testers. In reality all of that is moot because the $60 here should be enough to cover the cost of development and that's about it. If this were a single-player game, that'd be great. It's not. It's also not an instanced game that can get by with a lot less server hardware and bandwidth like GW1 or Diablo or any number of other similar co-op RPGs.

27. Re: More on Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 22, 2012, 21:57 Endo

Prez wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 20:16:
What exactly did you expect? When have we ever had a real MMO that was truly free to play with nothing to pay for except the initial purchase price and nothing but fluff items in the cash shop? I have never seen such a game, and I would bet good money we never will. You can't compare this with the original GW because it's not the same kind of game.

Well, considering Guild Wars is as close to a MMO that I ever played, what else can I compare it to? I played Guild Wars from day one - when the cash shop appeared, I was pretty much done soon after. I suppose I didn't really expect anything different with the sequel, but it is becoming apparent that like Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2 is not for me. Cash Shops are a big reason why I despise MMO's; I was holding out hope Guild Wars would continue to be the "anti-MMO" MMO game. Alas, it's obviously not going to.
Ah, I see. Yeah I guess it's unfortunate for you, but you're not their target market for GW2. For myself, I was pretty stoked when I first read about GW2 5 years ago. But I also had a pretty good idea what it would be. Other things along the way in GW since then has made me a lot less impressed with ANet as a whole, so I'm not nearly as excited as I was back then. But, I'm guessing I'll still be buying the game. Just have to wait and see.

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 Double XP Weekend & PC Apology
32. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Double XP Weekend & PC Apology Mar 22, 2012, 19:01 Endo

Ventura wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 18:01:
I hit a brick wall at the 'seemingly' bit too, like it's all just in our heads. Fuck off mate.

If Black Ops 2 doesn't deliver some sweet goods, I'm done with this franchise. I want a campaign that doesn't suck this time coupled with plenty of extra single player content. Footage from the new zombie mode had better rock my socks.

MW3's survival mode suffers from a strange desync bug that continues to have gone unfixed. Releasing DLC maps while letting shit like that fester is how you lose my business.

I was done with this franchise after the first MW. Why the heck would I pay full retail box price for a new "game" that offers considerably less than many mods do, for free? AND takes away important features, like dedicated servers? Fuck that shit. MW2 and 3 should have been sold as DLC for about $10 each, and Black Ops maybe a $30 expansion.

24. Re: More on Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 22, 2012, 18:54 Endo

Prez wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 17:58:
Okay. I just heard everyone saying that the only thing the cash shop would be selling are vanity items. Knowing that the only way to get these items is to grind for them or pay cash for them makes the game less enticing to me, but we'll see.
What exactly did you expect? When have we ever had a real MMO that was truly free to play with nothing to pay for except the initial purchase price and nothing but fluff items in the cash shop? I have never seen such a game, and I would bet good money we never will. You can't compare this with the original GW because it's not the same kind of game.

Personally I am very happy with them going this direction because I would much rather spend money on a few essentials in a cash shop than pay a subscription fee. And I would much rather pay EITHER of the above than put up with another completely instanced game.

Also, Guild Wars isn't going away you know. If that's the kind of game you want, you can keep playing it. There's also plenty other games out there that are more similar to it than GW2 will be.

20. Re: More on Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 22, 2012, 17:55 Endo

Prez wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 17:41:
How is something that allows you to store or carry more equipment than someone else a vanity item? Or character slots?
They're not. Those are some of the "time-saving convenience items" Mike O'Brien was talking about.

18. Re: More on Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 22, 2012, 17:38 Endo

eunichron wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 17:32:
wusel wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 15:12:
Judge yourself: leaked item shop screenshots

In my opinion, some of these items aren't vanity and should be in the game itself. I hope they'll add an ignore option for those megaphone broadcasts.

None of those items, to me, look like they would give the player any performance advantage over anyone else. Most of them are just convenience, or quality of life items, not necessary or advantageous at all for gameplay (the Perfect Salvage Kit might be debatable, but still not necessary).
The bag slots are going to be the biggie I think. Personally though I'm in favor of this.

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 Double XP Weekend & PC Apology
28. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Double XP Weekend & PC Apology Mar 22, 2012, 17:18 Endo

Hey guys everything's ok now! They apologized! We can all go buy MW3 now!

15. Re: More on Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 22, 2012, 16:14 Endo

budrojr wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 15:32:
I hope some of those items are in the game itself. I wonder just how many extra bag slots you can buy, and do they go to all toons on the account? If I have 10 toons and have to buy extra bag slots for each toon, I'm not going to be happy at all.

From those screenshots, it looks like the pricing for a lot of the items is set too high. At current enchange rates, a character slot would be about $12.50. What's wrong with multiples of $5? Setting the currency off like that is going to mean I'll be waiting until a half-off or other discount sale or something. I'm fine to buy stuff, but not when it looks like greed. :/

Then again, I've already outed myself as being a cheap, broke player.
I'd be highly surprised to find out any of the items in the gem shop will ever be available otherwise (other than maybe in some promotion or something).

But honestly, this shouldn't be surprising to anyone. This is how they have to make their money. I've been expecting exactly this type of thing for a long long time, pretty much ever since the first bit of info about GW2 was made public in a PC Gamer magazine before EotN was released. Real MMOs with persistent worlds take money to run, lots of it. There was never a chance the same revenue model they used with the first GW was going to work with GW2, because it's a whole different genre of game.

Bottom line is, would you rather pay for these things, or pay a monthly subscription? Because there's no realistic third option.

Also, for anyone who's interested, here's the original PC Gamer with the breaking news about GW2.

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/pc-gamer-may-2007-information-t10133090.html

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 2012, 16:22.

News Comments > On Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions
64. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 22, 2012, 12:02 Endo

Mikus_Aurelius wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 07:58:
Looks like we have our answer about what's for sale, so far.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/cash-shop-items-leak-t32319.html?t=32319
Yep. Pretty much exactly what I would have expected. The bag and bank slots are going to be their early money-maker. Those are going to be the items you'll find you really need, and they'll cost a ton of in-game gold to buy otherwise.

Also, I expect all the items in the cash shop won't be readily available any other way, so the only way to get those extra bag and bank slots unlocked is going to be to buy gems one way or the other. And THAT is why there will be a virtually unlimited supply of gold available for your gems.

Since 400 gems supposedly costs $5 according to a poster on the thread linked, and going by what I've seen in other games, in GW money terms it should be around 100plat for 400 gems once the market flattens out. So as the leaked images show a bag slot selling for 400 gems, I'd expect to pay the equivalent of about 100plat for a bag slot. Sounds reasonable to me. Of course we won't really know until the game has been out for at least 6 months. Before then I'd expect to get less gold for the gems, with it gradually going up.

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 2012, 12:11.

58. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 21, 2012, 20:31 Endo

Calwen wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 19:51:
True, the blog post does state that there will be some convenience items. Fair enough, but we really don't know what that purposefully vague statement implies, which leaves it open to interpretation. In my interpretation, I wasn't thinking of XP scrolls or somesuch; I was thinking of something along the lines of a Golem Banker (see the Digital Deluxe/Collector's editions of the game). Handy, but hardly necessary or game-changing. My point is that I still don't see any "Pay to Win" here, even with the vague statements. Hell, I'm not convinced that XP Scrolls would count as pay to win in a game that linearizes the leveling treadmill and debuffs high level players for low level content. Only in WvW can I see those sorts of convenience items being considered remotely unfair, where higher level players do have a moderate statistical advantage.

Now I'm not even sure what we're arguing about. Of course paying for extra goodies will net some sort of minor advantage on some level. I was merely picking apart the gear-advantage argument across two different games. Other advantages are just fluff, in my opinion.

Who knows about the PLEX thing. Eve players can literally buy game time with game money, so I can see that being a pretty big driving force for PLEX demand. The purchasable items in GW2 may not be quite that desirable -- and they don't seem to be if the blog posts are to be believed -- but we'll see in the next month or so.
Well first off, I wasn't trying to argue. I apologize for coming across that way. I was merely trying to participate in some discourse.

My main point is that there has to be some purpose for putting in the RMT currency at all. So there has to be *some* incentive to get players to spend money on them. And I'd say it's a fair assumption that they're looking to get more money from the cash shop in GW2 than in GW1, thus there has to be more incentive (again, otherwise why go to the trouble of putting in the gem system?) than there was in GW1, which means the rewards are greater. Ultimately what it comes down to is you just can't run a full-scale MMO very long on $60 per player, so there's obviously going to be some other form of revenue, and this is it. And the majority of the cash shop items found in GW aren't the kind of thing that you find yourself wanting to buy early on. You don't need more character slots, you don't need customizations or name changes, etc. So what exactly are they going to have in their cash shop? Obviously we don't know exactly yet, but I'd stake good money it's going to include some things that some players won't be too happy about. But them's the breaks in the MMO business.

55. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 21, 2012, 17:53 Endo

Creston wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 17:30:
If it's solely for the PvE, I don't care. If someone buys all his shit, it doesn't bother me; he's on my side, and he's wiping out monsters quicker. This is why I don't care that there are people running around in ME3 with a Black Widow X: They bought like $300 worth of EAware points and spent it on packs.

If this was allowed in PvP, however, that'd be a serious problem. Well, not for me, since I won't play PvP, but it's easy to see how people would get pissed about that.

Creston
Well, as others have pointed out, there will be things in PvP that you can buy with in-game gold... which you will be able to quickly get a lot of by buying the gems and selling them in-game. I doubt there will be PvP aids or buffs available directly from the cash shop though. I also expect them to keep the gold costs low enough that none of this should really matter all that much for PvP. If the ANet developers are smart (and I think they are) then this is exactly what Mike O'Brien meant when he said it's never ok for players who spend money to have unfair advantages over those who spend time. I expect the non-fluff items in the cash shop to be mostly the same stuff you find in other cash shops: experience buffs, health potions, etc. Most cash shops also have mounts, but since GW2 won't have mounts I'm not sure what the equivalent would be.

279 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo