Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for CH

Real Name CH   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Endo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 6, 2008, 23:34
Total Comments 288 (Amateur)
User ID 49520

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > The Old Republic Losing Subs; Gaining Add-ons
67. Re: The Old Republic Losing Subs; Gaining Add-ons May 8, 2012, 15:22 Endo

D_K_night wrote on May 7, 2012, 23:32:

Well there have been tons of games which didn't totally copy WoW, but came out with variations on combat systems and so on. Would you be able to explain why those games didn't work out?
Well since you haven't gotten a response yet, here's my take. I think it's because those games didn't have enough to do besides combat, and the combat was too boring. WoW, for example, has never had particularly spectacular combat, but at release there was just enough other things to do to keep it interesting. Things like cooking and fishing, and then there's engineering which was way cool back in Vanilla. They also had a pretty good progression pace back then. This kept content relevant a lot longer as compared to new games like Rift and SW:TOR, where the content can be played through with one character by an average player in a matter of 2-6 months. WoW took that long just to hit level cap originally.

And then there were also cool things like legendary weapons.

And don't forget the large open world, WITHOUT loading screens between zones, which had distinctly different atmospheres. And overall, none of it was just frustrating. Individually the small things seem standard fare (especially now, but even then not so different from EQ), except the way it was put together just worked.

The problem is that when you drop these small things (and don't replace them with other small things) that make it seem like a virtual world rather than just another game, it becomes less interesting. And players don't stay interested as long.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Official The Elder Scrolls Online Announcement
41. Re: Official The Elder Scrolls Online Announcement May 4, 2012, 18:26 Endo

NKD wrote on May 4, 2012, 08:46:
LgFriess wrote on May 4, 2012, 08:22:
http://imgur.com/a/fO9Ty#0

Ugh. After seeing this in yesterdays thread, I'm even more disappointed.

When I cancelled my SWTOR account, a survey popped up asking why. After writing the numerous reasons basically stating "boredom" I finished with, "WoW burnout has caused me to cancel my SWTOR subscription." I actually ENJOYED both games. Played WoW for years. SWTOR for 4 months. But that game style is just so dead. At least for a game that will want you to play for a long stretch of time.

Being a veteran of EQ and its various descendants over the years, I think a large part of the problem with where that style of MMO has gone is the overt focus on making things easier and easier and more casual. Yes, that approach nets you a larger subscriber base, but a simple fact of life is that, with few exceptions, you don't value something that came to you at no effort. That's true online and offline. I think most of us had parents, grandparents, or teachers that told us that things which come at great effort taste so much sweeter.

It's the reason I have never sold my EQ1 account. I put a lot of blood sweat and tears into that shit. Even though I haven't played in 8 years, I'm not getting rid of it. But my WoW account? I've put even more years into that than I did into EQ, but I don't care about it one bit, because while I invested more years, I invested significantly less effort.

The major appeal that style of MMO had was that it was sort of like real life for regular people. You got out of it what you put into it. You had to really put in a lot of effort if you wanted to succeed beyond the average joe.

But now it's more like real life for celebrities than real life for regular people. Loot and accomplishment thrown upon you for little to no effort. And we know how that often ends for celebrities: They end up dying of a drug overdose because despite having everything they could want, none of it had any meaning, just like a lot of today's MMOs.

Now MMOs are less and less about making a virtual world in which you can carve out a virtual life, and more about just being a giant, disposable, forgettable theme park.

Detractors of the MMO genre often say they don't want their games to feel like work. That's fine for any other game, but once you try to make a virtual world, the only thing that gives anything value or meaning is the effort you put into it. It has no inherent value of its own.

I want MMOs to get back to being products for those of us who really enjoy the concept of a virtual world, not just a product designed to cash in on popped collar bros looking for a Facebook-with-swords concept.
I'm 100% with you, even though I never got to play EQ back in its prime.

I've been playing SW:TOR since Dec. 17, but I'm just about done. I'm not renewing my subscription again once the free time they gave runs out. But you know what account I've kept active that entire time, despite not really playing the game? My Eve account. And I'll continue to do so for a long time.

As for the leaked details on the TES MMO, as soon as I saw the "120 hours to level cap" I knew I probably wasn't going to be interested in ever playing the game. Then I found the leaked list of details, which I got about 2/3 of the way through before I was so disinterested in the whole thing that I just moved on.

News Comments > Quoteworthy: Notch Knocks "Indie" EA
15. Re: Quoteworthy: Notch Knocks May 3, 2012, 14:22 Endo

Bhruic wrote on May 3, 2012, 12:46:
SimplyMonk wrote on May 3, 2012, 12:19:
Bhruic wrote on May 3, 2012, 12:14:
If having a publisher automatically removed you from consideration as an "indie" game, then every game on Steam automatically loses that label.

Steam is in no way a publisher. They are a digital storefront and distribution network. That is not the same in any sense of the word. Except the wrong sense.

That's just a semantic arguement.
No it's not. And the word you were looking for is "semantics". If you were correct, and it was just an argument about semantics, that would mean that Steam actually is a publisher in all but name, which is not the case at all. Therefore, you're completely wrong.
Steam itself isn't a publisher, but if you look at the game descriptions for indie games, they all list either a separate publisher, or the developer as the publisher. In either case, they are listed as having an actual publisher.
Which has nothing to do at all with the post you responded to, or your claim about the post being "just about semantics". SimplyMonk never said whether they might have other publishers. He said Steam is not a publisher.

News Comments > Questionable Kickstart Cancelled
20. Re: Questionable Kickstart Cancelled May 1, 2012, 15:06 Endo

Beamer wrote on May 1, 2012, 13:08:
I don't even get why these guys did this much of a scam.

Just discuss an awesome idea, show some concept art, put the figure low by saying you have some personal financing, and get $10k-$20k of free money.
Then say the project fell through. No one can really do anything to prove otherwise, and I don't believe there's any accountability.
But that's how it should be. I mean, think about it. It's an investment. No investment is risk-free. If you buy a stock, there's no money-back guarantee if it goes downhill, or even if the company goes bankrupt. So as with stock, if you're looking at investing in a Kickstarter project, do as much research as you can and hope for the best.

News Comments > U.K. Charts
1. Re: U.K. Charts Apr 23, 2012, 11:34 Endo

But how is that possible? Witcher 2 doesn't have any real DRM, and everyone knows that means more piracy!  

News Comments > The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts
29. Re: The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts Apr 13, 2012, 18:47 Endo

Steele Johnson wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 18:42:
free gifts ->> merged servers ->> going free to play ->> good night
Well we definitely need some merged servers soon, or at least free moves. My server is becoming deserted enough that it's nearly impossible to find a group for any flashpoint other than end-game. I can't even get a group with my tank characters.

News Comments > The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts
28. Re: The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts Apr 13, 2012, 18:46 Endo

Bhruic wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 11:40:

Read elsewhere that some players are pissed that it only applies to accounts with a lvl 50 character, but I guess you can't please everyone

Well, that is rather annoying. I could have got a level 50 char easily, but I wanted to check out some of the other stories, so I've been spreading my time among a bunch of other chars. So I'm going to miss out on 30 free days because I didn't stick to a single char.

But I guess there's really nothing short of "free 30 days for all" they could have done that wouldn't have been equally arbitrary.
I'm in the same boat, and slightly more upset than you, though not really pissed. But you're wrong in your last paragraph. What they SHOULD have done is give 30 free days to everyone who has an active subscription and has paid for at least 3 months. That makes much more sense and is a lot less arbitrary than simply having a level 50. I could have had a level 50 in the first 3-4 weeks, without pushing myself. But I chose to pace myself more to play with my IRL friends, and made a ton of alts (I'm using all 8 slots on the server I play on).

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access
13. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access Apr 10, 2012, 11:47 Endo

I was interested in this game for years (ever since the March 2007 PC Gamer article about it actually) until I found out how much more restricted and dumbed-down the skill system is compared to the first GW. Since then, I just can't bring myself to care. For me, the dynamic skill system was by far the best part of GW.  

News Comments > Epic Making PC Exclusive Game
94. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 9, 2012, 23:16 Endo

Jerykk wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 17:12:
Are you sure about TF2? Quake Live didn't generate much, and all of the "pay more for more weapons" games have failed to do much of anything.

That's pretty much why Quake Live fails as a F2P game. It doesn't have any microtransactions or unlockables. Conversely, TF2 has tons of cosmetic items that apparently sell really well.
People mind paying extra for things they feel should have come with the game. They don't mind paying extra for things that are clearly fluff and extraneous.

News Comments > Epic Making PC Exclusive Game
57. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 8, 2012, 22:50 Endo

This would be a lot more believable if this was 2006.

Frankly, I'm not holding my breath.

News Comments > The Secret World Preorders Include Beta Access
21. Re: The Secret World Preorders Include Beta Access Apr 3, 2012, 18:38 Endo

Smooth Gravy wrote on Apr 3, 2012, 18:07:
I'm excited to play this. I like the idea behind skill wheel system and the setting. Every game that comes out has issues nowadays. From what little I've been hearing, they have admitted to the flaws of AoC and they have teams spending equal amounts of time on each phase of the game up through end game. I'm looking forward to this more than GW2 myself. To each their own.
Likewise here, as this skill system to me offers a great deal more what I'm looking for than GW2.

News Comments > PC Ghost Recon Future Soldier in June; Specs; DRM Details
5. Re: PC Ghost Recon Future Soldier in June; Specs; DRM Details Apr 3, 2012, 14:23 Endo

Game announcement result: crickets
Game launch result: thud

News Comments > The Secret World Preorders Include Beta Access
8. Re: The Secret World Preorders Include Beta Access Apr 3, 2012, 12:43 Endo

I've actually gotten intrigued enough with this one in just the last couple weeks (never heard of it until recently) that I'm probably going to preorder it, despite Funcom's history. I really like what I'm seeing about it, and if preordering helps provide necessary funding to make it successful, I'm game for being a guinea pig.  

News Comments > Phantasy Star Online 2 This Summer?
1. Re: Phantasy Star Online 2 This Summer? Mar 26, 2012, 15:13 Endo

Yawn. Another MMO designed for console controls.  

News Comments > The Secret World's Character Progression
3. Re: The Secret World's Character Progression Mar 23, 2012, 17:33 Endo

Fion wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 14:27:
I wouldn't say it looks more like GW than GW2 does at all. It certainly offers a huge variety of skills to combine that will lead to a lot of meta. GW2 does the same, to a lesser extent. But beyond that I don't see any GW similarities.

On topic, that's a sweet video. I'm a big Funcom fan (despite their stumble on AoC) so I'm looking forward to this one. Not so much as I am GW2, but still quite a lot.
I guess for me, GW was all about the skill system. GW2 offers so much less flexibility here, it's not even in the same universe. With GW2, half your skill bar is determined by the weapon you're using. (That's somewhat OK if you're playing a warrior, but not at all for any other class.) Since there's only going to be a handful of different weapons truly useful for any given class, that doesn't give you as much flexibility as you might think. Of the other half, one of them has to be a very specific type of skill. And for the rest, you're stuck with choosing skills from just one class. It might still be OK, but it's going to be a pale shadow of what GW offered.

News Comments > More on Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions
42. Re: More on Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 23, 2012, 17:27 Endo

Krovven wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 02:05:
Endo wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 22:15:
The items referred to as P2W are items you MUST have to be able to compete with other players

Im not really interested in your incomplete definition of P2W. While yes it does pertain to some competitive games, it also pertains to getting bonuses and gear in PvE games too.

Paying for Experience bonuses is Pay 2 Win. Just like paying for Experience bonuses in Tribes Ascend is Pay 2 Win.

Sorry kid, you're flat wrong, as has been pointed out over and over. I was trying to be nice, but I guess it's wasted on you.

News Comments > The Secret World's Character Progression
1. Re: The Secret World's Character Progression Mar 23, 2012, 12:13 Endo

Ok so this game is looking really interesting. It looks a lot more like Guild Wars than Guild Wars 2 does. Going to have to keep tabs on this one.  

News Comments > Ubisoft's DRM Stance Softening?
10. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Stance Softening? Mar 23, 2012, 11:44 Endo

"Is it fair for someone to enjoy our content without us receiving some value for that? I think at the core of that is, no,"

And that mentality is exactly what is crippling our culture and our progress as a civilization. You don't have to monetize every little fucking thing you spend 5 minutes on. It's ok for some people to gain entertainment, pleasure, or other benefits from something you've worked on without you getting paid for it.

28. Re: More on Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 22, 2012, 22:15 Endo

Krovven wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 21:35:
eunichron wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 17:32:
wusel wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 15:12:
Judge yourself: leaked item shop screenshots

In my opinion, some of these items aren't vanity and should be in the game itself. I hope they'll add an ignore option for those megaphone broadcasts.

None of those items, to me, look like they would give the player any performance advantage over anyone else. Most of them are just convenience, or quality of life items, not necessary or advantageous at all for gameplay (the Perfect Salvage Kit might be debatable, but still not necessary).

Experience, Karma, Magic Find & Crafting boosts...those are all Pay 2 Win. At least they are only 1hr duration, but some wealthy folks I'm sure will buy as many as they need to get from 1 to 80. There are several other items on those screenshots that are borderline depending on their use. Are Mystic Keys available elsewhere in the game, or can I only loot chests in-game if I pay money to do so? What kind of items do the Loot Bags give? I'd assume this is just a sampling of what they will be selling.

Trading of Gold and Gems, making those items available to everyone (provided the Gem to Gold value isnt ridiculous) is tolerable. But they are walking a very fine line here. I wasnt a big fan of the first game, but I was going to buy this to play with friends. Now, I'm going to wait to see how much more information comes out.

Now, where are those that were saying GW2 wasn't Pay 2 Win?
No, these aren't items that are generally considered "Pay 2 Win". The items referred to as P2W are items you MUST have to be able to compete with other players, whether it be in PvP or for PvE slots in a good group. Typically these will be in the form of certain items you must have to upgrade your gear to the best possible stats (Runes of Magic is a good example here) or just gear itself, or long-term buffs. Technically the controversial items offered in GW2 are, as Mike O'Brien stated, simply "time-saving convenience items". You can get get all the same results without the boosts, it just takes longer. You can do what you need to with less bag space, it just takes more time because you have to run around a lot more and micromanage your inventory a lot more. However, these items are also the kind of items you'd generally not expect to have to buy with cash shop currency... unless the game is going the F2P route.

People are calling Diablo 3 Pay 2 Win because they're assuming there's going to be uber gear available on the AH that most players won't really be able to get any other way. Whether that will be the case remains to be seen, but it's probably a fair guess.

But getting back to GW2, the problem is people feel like the $60 they're paying for the game disqualifies it as F2P. But it doesn't. Look at the cheapest subscriptions for MMOs out there. You'll be hard pressed to find one at less than $10/month, and those aren't doing so well. So going by that, your $60 is at best enough for 6 months. LotRO offered a one-time payment lifetime subscription to beta testers, but it was $200. That's a heck of a lot more than $60, and it was ONLY available to beta testers. In reality all of that is moot because the $60 here should be enough to cover the cost of development and that's about it. If this were a single-player game, that'd be great. It's not. It's also not an instanced game that can get by with a lot less server hardware and bandwidth like GW1 or Diablo or any number of other similar co-op RPGs.

27. Re: More on Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 22, 2012, 21:57 Endo

Prez wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 20:16:
What exactly did you expect? When have we ever had a real MMO that was truly free to play with nothing to pay for except the initial purchase price and nothing but fluff items in the cash shop? I have never seen such a game, and I would bet good money we never will. You can't compare this with the original GW because it's not the same kind of game.

Well, considering Guild Wars is as close to a MMO that I ever played, what else can I compare it to? I played Guild Wars from day one - when the cash shop appeared, I was pretty much done soon after. I suppose I didn't really expect anything different with the sequel, but it is becoming apparent that like Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2 is not for me. Cash Shops are a big reason why I despise MMO's; I was holding out hope Guild Wars would continue to be the "anti-MMO" MMO game. Alas, it's obviously not going to.
Ah, I see. Yeah I guess it's unfortunate for you, but you're not their target market for GW2. For myself, I was pretty stoked when I first read about GW2 5 years ago. But I also had a pretty good idea what it would be. Other things along the way in GW since then has made me a lot less impressed with ANet as a whole, so I'm not nearly as excited as I was back then. But, I'm guessing I'll still be buying the game. Just have to wait and see.

288 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo