Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for CH

Real Name CH   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Endo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 6, 2008, 23:34
Total Comments 278 (Amateur)
User ID 49520

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > Quoteworthy - "Windows 8 is a Catastrophe" - Gabe Newell
92. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 22:49 Endo

Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 18:30:
Eh, all I know is that MS seems locked in to the 1 bad OS release followed by 1 good OS release cycle.

By that logic:

98 - Good
ME - OH God, is there a word that describes how bad that was?
XP - Good
Vista - WTF? NO!
7 - Good
8- Going to be bad? Most freakin' likely.

(No, I'm not counting the Enterprise centered NT OSs before they merged with consumer level.)
It goes back even further than that.

1 - not sure, haven't heard much about it
2 - god-awful OS
3 series - very solid OS for its day, and loved by pretty much anyone who used it
95 - Awful. Brand new UI was the only thing good about it. Lots of people stuck with 3.1 or 3.11 until 98 came out.

The reason it works out this way is because every other release they try to cram too much new crap in and make a mess. Then, on the in-between release they just focus on fixing all the shit they screwed up on the previous one. I'd tell you to guess which one 8 will be, but you already have and it's too painfully obvious.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Quoteworthy - "Windows 8 is a Catastrophe" - Gabe Newell
5. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 16:59 Endo

WyldKat wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 16:53:
I would switch to Linux in a heartbeat if most games supported it and more importantly, so did drivers.
As would I. And I have to believe that if a significant number of high-profile games (Steam's entire library would certainly fit the bill) were to have full support for Linux, the video driver support would follow as a natural course of events. If all this happens, Gabe could very well make his own prophecy come true.

News Comments > Blizzard on Diablo III
30. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Jul 19, 2012, 13:55 Endo

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 10:31:
The problem is that they went awaay from what "worked" in D2 to this. They said the Ladders weren't important and that Items are important....well, when you can buy all the items in the AH, you have killed your own game.

I enjoyed the game. I will go back to it just like I do D2 once in a while. Over 100 hours for a game is good for me and I have moved on. When they released info about the AH I posted it would kill the game - and it has. They can't be so daft and ignorant (well...maybe they are) as to think their numbers would sustain with such a small game after 2 months.....they dropped the ball.
The problem is (as I've posted quite a few times before) that Blizzard has lost the majority of the top developers they had back when they made stellar games.

So I'll say it again: the days of Blizzard making games of unparalleled quality and fun are gone. They no longer have the developers to pull it off. They'll still make good games, but they don't have what it takes to make truly great games anymore.

I called this before Starcraft 2 came out, and again before Diablo 3 came out. The evidence has been there for some time, but a bit difficult to see because they weren't releasing any new games for a long long time. So the only way to tell was with the WoW updates, which were steadily getting worse and worse (both on fun factor and quality - just look at the number of things they break in every new patch nowadays as compared to back in the early days).

With each new release, more and more people will become aware of this and it's going to get harder for them to just rest on their laurels. Unfortunately for Blizzard, I don't think they can ever rise to the level of production quality they had in the past so their releases pretty much aren't going to get better.

News Comments > Heroes of Newerth Adding "All Heroes Free" Mode
2. Re: Heroes of Newerth Adding Jul 19, 2012, 13:25 Endo

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 12:52:
Well that will make some people happy, and piss off a lot of others who paid already. I doubt the token appeasement they offered will make much difference.

I've never actually played this game, or any other MOBA really, except for a few weeks of LoL.
Tried it. Hated it. Like LoL a lot more.

Edit: Just checked out the official thread on their forums, which is very revealing as to why they did this. The announcement happened a little over 3 hours ago, and there's still only 16 pages of posts. If this same announcement were posted on the LoL forums (about LoL of course), it would have had several hundred pages worth of responses by now.

This comment was edited on Jul 19, 2012, 13:31.

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Glitch Ends
36. Re: And... Jul 16, 2012, 17:12 Endo

Draugr wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 16:45:
briktal wrote on Jul 16, 2012, 16:09:
If D3 was instead the first game in a new IP from a new developer, people would almost certainly be less angry at the lack of an offline mode.

The correct conclusion to that statement is everyone would have seen diablo 3 for the terribad game that it is. Diablo 3's success has everything to do with its name and the name of it's devleoper.
I wouldn't know, I haven't so much as watched someone play it nor watched any gameplay footage. That's how little I care about it.

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Glitch Ends
33. Re: Ubisoft DRM Glitch Ends Jul 16, 2012, 16:33 Endo

No offense, but this is the consequences for doing something stupid like buying a single-player game with always-on DRM.  

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY VII Remake Plans
60. Re: FINAL FANTASY VII Remake Plans Jul 5, 2012, 23:05 Endo

Yeah definitely a rerelease, not a remake. Still, I'm sure I'll buy it. Loved that game.  

News Comments > The Secret World Launches
13. Re: The Secret World Launches Jul 3, 2012, 13:05 Endo

CrabbyGnome wrote on Jul 3, 2012, 12:27:
I don't see $50 + $15 a month working anymore for an MMO unless your WoW.
This.

I'd love to play it (I think) but I just can't justify another subscription, especially with the game itself selling for $50. And I'm not dropping my Eve sub any time soon, regardless of how much or little I'm playing any given month. I'll buy GW2 because that's an upfront cost, and then only what I want to pay after.

News Comments > TERA's $25 Horse
35. Re: TERA's $25 Horse Jun 27, 2012, 17:10 Endo

That's nothing. Eve has a purely cosmetic monacle that costs $60 USD.

Of course there's a long story about what ensued after the release of it, involving things like as much as 10-25% of their subscribers leaving, Eve's developers publicly apologizing and refocusing their continued development, the content release with said monacle being dubbed "Monaclegate", etc. etc.

News Comments > Need for Speed Most Wanted Specs
11. Re: Need for Speed Most Wanted Specs Jun 12, 2012, 18:38 Endo

So now they're just reusing previous titles? Not that I really care. Last one I actually liked anyway was the previous Most Wanted.  

News Comments > The Old Republic Losing Subs; Gaining Add-ons
67. Re: The Old Republic Losing Subs; Gaining Add-ons May 8, 2012, 15:22 Endo

D_K_night wrote on May 7, 2012, 23:32:

Well there have been tons of games which didn't totally copy WoW, but came out with variations on combat systems and so on. Would you be able to explain why those games didn't work out?
Well since you haven't gotten a response yet, here's my take. I think it's because those games didn't have enough to do besides combat, and the combat was too boring. WoW, for example, has never had particularly spectacular combat, but at release there was just enough other things to do to keep it interesting. Things like cooking and fishing, and then there's engineering which was way cool back in Vanilla. They also had a pretty good progression pace back then. This kept content relevant a lot longer as compared to new games like Rift and SW:TOR, where the content can be played through with one character by an average player in a matter of 2-6 months. WoW took that long just to hit level cap originally.

And then there were also cool things like legendary weapons.

And don't forget the large open world, WITHOUT loading screens between zones, which had distinctly different atmospheres. And overall, none of it was just frustrating. Individually the small things seem standard fare (especially now, but even then not so different from EQ), except the way it was put together just worked.

The problem is that when you drop these small things (and don't replace them with other small things) that make it seem like a virtual world rather than just another game, it becomes less interesting. And players don't stay interested as long.

News Comments > Official The Elder Scrolls Online Announcement
41. Re: Official The Elder Scrolls Online Announcement May 4, 2012, 18:26 Endo

NKD wrote on May 4, 2012, 08:46:
LgFriess wrote on May 4, 2012, 08:22:
http://imgur.com/a/fO9Ty#0

Ugh. After seeing this in yesterdays thread, I'm even more disappointed.

When I cancelled my SWTOR account, a survey popped up asking why. After writing the numerous reasons basically stating "boredom" I finished with, "WoW burnout has caused me to cancel my SWTOR subscription." I actually ENJOYED both games. Played WoW for years. SWTOR for 4 months. But that game style is just so dead. At least for a game that will want you to play for a long stretch of time.

Being a veteran of EQ and its various descendants over the years, I think a large part of the problem with where that style of MMO has gone is the overt focus on making things easier and easier and more casual. Yes, that approach nets you a larger subscriber base, but a simple fact of life is that, with few exceptions, you don't value something that came to you at no effort. That's true online and offline. I think most of us had parents, grandparents, or teachers that told us that things which come at great effort taste so much sweeter.

It's the reason I have never sold my EQ1 account. I put a lot of blood sweat and tears into that shit. Even though I haven't played in 8 years, I'm not getting rid of it. But my WoW account? I've put even more years into that than I did into EQ, but I don't care about it one bit, because while I invested more years, I invested significantly less effort.

The major appeal that style of MMO had was that it was sort of like real life for regular people. You got out of it what you put into it. You had to really put in a lot of effort if you wanted to succeed beyond the average joe.

But now it's more like real life for celebrities than real life for regular people. Loot and accomplishment thrown upon you for little to no effort. And we know how that often ends for celebrities: They end up dying of a drug overdose because despite having everything they could want, none of it had any meaning, just like a lot of today's MMOs.

Now MMOs are less and less about making a virtual world in which you can carve out a virtual life, and more about just being a giant, disposable, forgettable theme park.

Detractors of the MMO genre often say they don't want their games to feel like work. That's fine for any other game, but once you try to make a virtual world, the only thing that gives anything value or meaning is the effort you put into it. It has no inherent value of its own.

I want MMOs to get back to being products for those of us who really enjoy the concept of a virtual world, not just a product designed to cash in on popped collar bros looking for a Facebook-with-swords concept.
I'm 100% with you, even though I never got to play EQ back in its prime.

I've been playing SW:TOR since Dec. 17, but I'm just about done. I'm not renewing my subscription again once the free time they gave runs out. But you know what account I've kept active that entire time, despite not really playing the game? My Eve account. And I'll continue to do so for a long time.

As for the leaked details on the TES MMO, as soon as I saw the "120 hours to level cap" I knew I probably wasn't going to be interested in ever playing the game. Then I found the leaked list of details, which I got about 2/3 of the way through before I was so disinterested in the whole thing that I just moved on.

News Comments > Quoteworthy: Notch Knocks "Indie" EA
15. Re: Quoteworthy: Notch Knocks May 3, 2012, 14:22 Endo

Bhruic wrote on May 3, 2012, 12:46:
SimplyMonk wrote on May 3, 2012, 12:19:
Bhruic wrote on May 3, 2012, 12:14:
If having a publisher automatically removed you from consideration as an "indie" game, then every game on Steam automatically loses that label.

Steam is in no way a publisher. They are a digital storefront and distribution network. That is not the same in any sense of the word. Except the wrong sense.

That's just a semantic arguement.
No it's not. And the word you were looking for is "semantics". If you were correct, and it was just an argument about semantics, that would mean that Steam actually is a publisher in all but name, which is not the case at all. Therefore, you're completely wrong.
Steam itself isn't a publisher, but if you look at the game descriptions for indie games, they all list either a separate publisher, or the developer as the publisher. In either case, they are listed as having an actual publisher.
Which has nothing to do at all with the post you responded to, or your claim about the post being "just about semantics". SimplyMonk never said whether they might have other publishers. He said Steam is not a publisher.

News Comments > Questionable Kickstart Cancelled
20. Re: Questionable Kickstart Cancelled May 1, 2012, 15:06 Endo

Beamer wrote on May 1, 2012, 13:08:
I don't even get why these guys did this much of a scam.

Just discuss an awesome idea, show some concept art, put the figure low by saying you have some personal financing, and get $10k-$20k of free money.
Then say the project fell through. No one can really do anything to prove otherwise, and I don't believe there's any accountability.
But that's how it should be. I mean, think about it. It's an investment. No investment is risk-free. If you buy a stock, there's no money-back guarantee if it goes downhill, or even if the company goes bankrupt. So as with stock, if you're looking at investing in a Kickstarter project, do as much research as you can and hope for the best.

News Comments > U.K. Charts
1. Re: U.K. Charts Apr 23, 2012, 11:34 Endo

But how is that possible? Witcher 2 doesn't have any real DRM, and everyone knows that means more piracy!  

News Comments > The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts
29. Re: The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts Apr 13, 2012, 18:47 Endo

Steele Johnson wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 18:42:
free gifts ->> merged servers ->> going free to play ->> good night
Well we definitely need some merged servers soon, or at least free moves. My server is becoming deserted enough that it's nearly impossible to find a group for any flashpoint other than end-game. I can't even get a group with my tank characters.

News Comments > The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts
28. Re: The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts Apr 13, 2012, 18:46 Endo

Bhruic wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 11:40:

Read elsewhere that some players are pissed that it only applies to accounts with a lvl 50 character, but I guess you can't please everyone

Well, that is rather annoying. I could have got a level 50 char easily, but I wanted to check out some of the other stories, so I've been spreading my time among a bunch of other chars. So I'm going to miss out on 30 free days because I didn't stick to a single char.

But I guess there's really nothing short of "free 30 days for all" they could have done that wouldn't have been equally arbitrary.
I'm in the same boat, and slightly more upset than you, though not really pissed. But you're wrong in your last paragraph. What they SHOULD have done is give 30 free days to everyone who has an active subscription and has paid for at least 3 months. That makes much more sense and is a lot less arbitrary than simply having a level 50. I could have had a level 50 in the first 3-4 weeks, without pushing myself. But I chose to pace myself more to play with my IRL friends, and made a ton of alts (I'm using all 8 slots on the server I play on).

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access
13. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access Apr 10, 2012, 11:47 Endo

I was interested in this game for years (ever since the March 2007 PC Gamer article about it actually) until I found out how much more restricted and dumbed-down the skill system is compared to the first GW. Since then, I just can't bring myself to care. For me, the dynamic skill system was by far the best part of GW.  

News Comments > Epic Making PC Exclusive Game
94. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 9, 2012, 23:16 Endo

Jerykk wrote on Apr 9, 2012, 17:12:
Are you sure about TF2? Quake Live didn't generate much, and all of the "pay more for more weapons" games have failed to do much of anything.

That's pretty much why Quake Live fails as a F2P game. It doesn't have any microtransactions or unlockables. Conversely, TF2 has tons of cosmetic items that apparently sell really well.
People mind paying extra for things they feel should have come with the game. They don't mind paying extra for things that are clearly fluff and extraneous.

News Comments > Epic Making PC Exclusive Game
57. Re: Epic Making PC Exclusive Game Apr 8, 2012, 22:50 Endo

This would be a lot more believable if this was 2006.

Frankly, I'm not holding my breath.

278 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo