Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for CH

Real Name CH   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Endo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 6, 2008, 23:34
Total Comments 276 (Amateur)
User ID 49520

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > EA All-in on Microtransactions
24. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 27, 2013, 11:45 Endo

EA: Where you go to pay to win!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers
47. Re: Ubisoft Courting PC Gamers Feb 22, 2013, 23:14 Endo

Too late Ubisoft, everyone hates you now.

Know the appropriate adage?

You made your bed, now lie in it.

News Comments > Halo 2 PC Server Shutdown Next Month
25. Re: Halo 2 PC Server Shutdown Next Month Jan 19, 2013, 05:03 Endo

Cutter wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 14:27:
And this is why you don't buy games where you can host the server yourself.
Yeah. At least you can still play with LAN. Still, excluding either option from a PC multiplayer game is not acceptable to me.

News Comments > WoW PvP Gear Preview
5. Re: WoW PvP Gear Preview Jan 19, 2013, 04:33 Endo

KS wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 16:03:
Take your best-geared WoW and D3 players, throw in a WoW elite mode Raid boss, and I'll take my mastermind from City of Heroes (RIP).
You could do some truly amazing stuff in that game. Nothing will ever top the tanks you could build in that game.

News Comments > WoW PvP Gear Preview
4. Re: WoW PvP Gear Preview Jan 19, 2013, 04:29 Endo

And people still put up with this BS gear treadmill?

LMAO. SO glad I quit that shit 2 years ago and never looked back.

News Comments > The Old Republic Roadmap Includes Same Gender Romance Plans
29. Re: The Old Republic Roadmap Includes Same Gender Romance Plans Jan 3, 2013, 02:57 Endo

A year ago, this would have been interesting. Now it's just... a year too late to matter.  

News Comments > Additional Borderlands 2 Classes Confirmed
26. Re: Additional Borderlands 2 Classes Confirmed Nov 13, 2012, 10:17 Endo

Prez wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 19:51:
I was afraid "True Vault Hunter" mode wouldn't be doable in singleplayer, but as it turns out my Commando is doing pretty well. Every fight is a serious affair though, and once I reach the level cap I'm afraid not having a level advantage over the last enemies will make it a major slog or even nigh impossible. I haven't tried Assassin or Mechromancer yet; maybe I'll start over as one of them instead. The differences between the Gunzerker and the Commando aren't the most distinct class differences I've ever seen but each did have a somewhat unique feel.
I was able to complete TVH mode solo on my commando without undue difficulty. It was definitely harder than the first playthrough, but still very doable. Also completed the pirate DLC solo in TVH mode. I used the guerilla skill tree to max out the damage on the turret, which never really falls off.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Beta Mac Client
23. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Mac Client Sep 18, 2012, 14:34 Endo

Cutter wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 14:30:
Blue's Guild = The Silent Reign on The Tarnish Coast server.

Cres, is all your gear up to speed for your current level? Buffs on gear? Jewllery? Are you utilizing foodstuffs? My jewellery is maxed so I can make it all now though I will need base mats. Didja ask around in the official forums? I've seen some posts in there with really solid advice from people who seem to know a particular class really well.

With the thief it just doesn't matter. You will have about as much survivability as a kleenex no matter what your gear is.

22. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Mac Client Sep 18, 2012, 14:33 Endo

sauron wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 13:16:
Endo wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 12:22:
Creston wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 11:02:
I'm giving up on my Thief...

In the meantime, my Warrior just stands there at level 15 and tanks 2 lvl 17 Sons of Svanir and 2 lvl 16 icewolfs without breaking a fucking sweat.

Creston

Black powder can help a lot in some situations, which is why I usually use dagger with pistol offhand. But in other situations it's just useless.

And totally agree with you about the warrior. In fact, I'm doing EXACTLY the same as you. My thief has been my main (up to 52 now) and as of yesterday I decided to shelve her and work on my warrior. Better survivability AND more damage AND more utility in PvE. There's no downside compared to the thief.

Wow, I did exactly the same! Gave up on my Thief for now and took up Guardian instead. While my lil Asura sneakthief kept getting killed, my brick-wall Nord Guardian lays down the smack while staying upright AND healing and buffing everyone else. An event starts and everyone just gathers round - I guess a tank is still a tank after all.

I also have a Warrior, an Elementalist and a Mesmer, so I guess I'll test them all out but it's Guardian for me for now.
Yeah I started a guardian as well, seems pretty good too. But so far it feels like my warrior has a bit more survivability and deals a bit more damage, just has less group heals and buffs. Of course my guardian is only level 7 so that doesn't mean much.

7. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Mac Client Sep 18, 2012, 12:22 Endo

Creston wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 11:02:
I'm giving up on my Thief. Her personal story just becomes impossible to play at higher levels. I went to go help out the Skritt, and it's basically a small deathmatch level where you have to kill TWELVE Destroyers and a Destroyer Queen. All at once. After dying about five times, I finally managed to get them situated so that I could Scorpion Wire one out of the group and kill it, then rinse repeat.

Then I had to try the Queen about five more times, until finally I managed to kite her with the shortbow just well enough that she went down. Total time it took me for that battle was around an hour, and I had a nice 12 silver repair bill at the end of it. I won't even mention how well she did at the battle for Claw Island...

Order of Whispers my fucking ass. They should just call themselves the Red Vigil.

In the meantime, my Warrior just stands there at level 15 and tanks 2 lvl 17 Sons of Svanir and 2 lvl 16 icewolfs without breaking a fucking sweat.

Creston

Black powder can help a lot in some situations, which is why I usually use dagger with pistol offhand. But in other situations it's just useless.

And totally agree with you about the warrior. In fact, I'm doing EXACTLY the same as you. My thief has been my main (up to 52 now) and as of yesterday I decided to shelve her and work on my warrior. Better survivability AND more damage AND more utility in PvE. There's no downside compared to the thief.

News Comments > On The Secret World's F2P Potential
11. Re: On The Secret World's F2P Potential Sep 17, 2012, 17:50 Endo

saluk wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 13:43:
My problem with p2p is less a matter of how much I am spending, and more a psychological matter. Look at the last week of my GW2 time. I barely played, I've been busy with work etc. I may be a bit busy to play much this week too. Right now, I am still loving the game every time I play it, but I'm NOT playing often enough to really justify paying every month. Towards the end of the month, I would have to evaluate whether I want to keep paying for something I'm not really using.

On the other hand, I've filled up my character slots. At any point in the next few weeks I might decide to make a new character and buy some slots. While I am putting money in the cash shop anyway, I might buy some other things just for fun. I can justify that a lot easier than I can paying money for a game I'm not spending that many hours on.

The secret world was fun for the first month, but I unsubbed. I didn't unsub because I wasn't having fun, I unsubbed because I wasn't playing. If I want to play again next month, which I might, I will have to consider whether it's worth the hassle to reactivate on the off chance that I play for a day and get distracted away from it again.

Exactly. And this is why, after paying for subscriptions pretty consistently from 2005 until I canceled my Eve sub a couple days ago, I will now refuse to ever pay a subscription for a video game again.

I hope SW does go F2P, so I get a chance to play it. But if it doesn't, oh well, GW2 is good too.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Sells 2 Million
105. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 2 Million Sep 14, 2012, 12:07 Endo

Axis wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 09:57:
I already mentioned it was pretty fun lobbing trebuchet loads on people, but go ahead and disregard what I wrote sometimes it's the only way people can fool themselves into believing something they want to.

The game suffers from "looks good on paper", and the realities are a shimmer of what you expect it to be. I too had similar expectations of DAOC for rvr, but you know what... it doesn't play or feel anything like it. Looks good on paper, so statistically it should but it doesn't, not by a long shot.

In GW1 there was Guild vs Guild, 4 vs 4, Hero Arenas, Hero Ascent, Codex Arena, structured PVP , Lux vs Kurz fort aspenwood, joint missions, and there were thousands of ways to build your character. Real builds, meaningful builds. Builds endgame building was integral and highly enjoyable in GW1, and damn near limitless all for taking those builds to the many pvp outlets. GW2 is a joke comparatively that's not even up for argument. Where you would quest and work on builds for endgame pvp in GW1, you grind points for looks in GW2.

I've already been accused of "rushing" and have played all endgame extensively pve and pvp. I "L2P" quicker than most, I'm fine with that. And there will be people who enjoy what I do not when they get to where I've been in the game -- part of life.
I think you're overstating it but I do agree with your general premise, at least in part. I find the GW2 skill system a sad, pale shadow of what GW had. And it did make the PvP (along with everything else) more interesting IMO.

News Comments > WoW Screenshot Watermarks?
4. Re: WoW Screenshot Watermarks? Sep 11, 2012, 13:05 Endo

necrosis wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 12:56:
Probably just EXIF data.
Nope, it's definitely a watermark. If you click the link on Slashdot and read through the whole thread, you'll get a lot more info.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2012, 12:44 Endo

Where I grew up the joke is it always rains during county fair week. This year after weeks (months?) of drought, sure enough it started raining the week before fair week, and continued throughout fair week. Never fails.  

News Comments > Quoteworthy - "Windows 8 is a Catastrophe" - Gabe Newell
148. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 26, 2012, 13:08 Endo

Verno wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 12:26:
Bhruic wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 12:15:
Not really silly, what it comes down to is personal experiences. It doesn't matter if 99.9% of the people have a shitty experience with something, if your experience with it is great (well, assuming you don't have to troubleshoot anyone else). This happens so constantly it's a wonder that people are still surprised with it - the old "well, I didn't run into any bugs, so the game is fine" line for example.

Meh, I think it's a bit of column A and a bit of column B. Some people forget and other people just make assumptions based on their experience. The whole thing is still pretty silly regardless. I didn't really have any issues with Vista but was well aware they existed and didn't just assume other people were being stupid. Oh well, the human condition.
With ME it's pretty simple actually. If you bought a new PC that came with ME preloaded you actually had pretty good odds of never having trouble with the OS. But God forbid you try installing it on some other system. In that case you were virtually guaranteed to have no end of trouble.

93. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 23:01 Endo

RollinThundr wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 21:14:
NKD wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 20:51:
Prez wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 20:29:
The biggest thing Windows 8 has working against it in my views is how awesome Windows 7 is. I never even considered Vista for the same reason - I saw no reason to upgrade from XP, which was fabulous (and still is - 3 of my machines still run it and they just purr along without a hitch). Their business model may now rely on frequent OS releases, but I think that really works against them.

Frequent releases can work out in their favor, provided they do it right. People hate change. Any change, for better or worse, requires people to adapt to it. This is especially true of interface changes as it effectively slows you down.

The more incrementally you make that change, the more accepting people will be of it. After Windows 8, Microsoft needs to do a new version every two years with mostly incremental improvements and a cheap upgrade cost. It'll cut down on piracy and ease upgrade shock.

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 20:48:
Probably the best since Win2000.

Win2k is the most under-appreciated Windows of all time, probably because it only had a very narrow window between 98 SE and XP. I started using it from RTM and didn't switch to XP until XP got its launch troubles sorted out. It was an amazing OS. As solid as NT, and surprisingly few troubles with games. I only had to do workarounds for a couple titles IIRC.

I have to agree NKD, I ran 2000 for a year or so some years back and it was solid as hell.
I loved Win2K as well, but it was never meant to be a consumer OS. That's what ME was for. LOL. Anyow, I ran Win2K on my main box from about the time XP was released until Vista was released, which was when I finally gave in and upgraded to XP. To this day I still like 2K better than XP, for various reasons I won't go into here.

News Comments > Return to RIFT
14. Re: Return to RIFT Jul 25, 2012, 22:56 Endo

Verno wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 14:28:
Is this worth buying a box and playing for a month but not subbing? I just want something to play in the down time before GW2. I'm just curious if this is one of those games where everything fun happens at the level cap. I played in beta for a bit and the Rift events seemed really gimmicky and the actual grinding was a bit samey but I only played for like 4 hours.
I guess, if you want another WoW clone. The good thing in this situation is that 4 weeks is plenty of time to get at least one character to level cap, and maybe 2 if you play every day.

News Comments > Return to RIFT
13. Re: Return to RIFT Jul 25, 2012, 22:54 Endo

Beelzebud wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 21:05:
I'm so burnt out on MMO's I won't even play them for free.

I played Rift for 2 months after it first came out, until the realization hit that I was simply playing a reskin job of WoW. Same thing happened with SWTOR. I'm done with MMO's.
Kinda happened to me too, but for me it wasn't a problem with all MMOs, just ones that were clones of WoW. I've been enjoying Eve off and on for a year and a half now. Also try free ones here and there, and I'm sure I'll be enjoying GW2 soon.

As for Rift, it wasn't fun when I quit, why the heck would I come back??

92. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 22:49 Endo

Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 18:30:
Eh, all I know is that MS seems locked in to the 1 bad OS release followed by 1 good OS release cycle.

By that logic:

98 - Good
ME - OH God, is there a word that describes how bad that was?
XP - Good
Vista - WTF? NO!
7 - Good
8- Going to be bad? Most freakin' likely.

(No, I'm not counting the Enterprise centered NT OSs before they merged with consumer level.)
It goes back even further than that.

1 - not sure, haven't heard much about it
2 - god-awful OS
3 series - very solid OS for its day, and loved by pretty much anyone who used it
95 - Awful. Brand new UI was the only thing good about it. Lots of people stuck with 3.1 or 3.11 until 98 came out.

The reason it works out this way is because every other release they try to cram too much new crap in and make a mess. Then, on the in-between release they just focus on fixing all the shit they screwed up on the previous one. I'd tell you to guess which one 8 will be, but you already have and it's too painfully obvious.

5. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 16:59 Endo

WyldKat wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 16:53:
I would switch to Linux in a heartbeat if most games supported it and more importantly, so did drivers.
As would I. And I have to believe that if a significant number of high-profile games (Steam's entire library would certainly fit the bill) were to have full support for Linux, the video driver support would follow as a natural course of events. If all this happens, Gabe could very well make his own prophecy come true.

276 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo