Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for CH

Real Name CH   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Endo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 6, 2008, 23:34
Total Comments 274 (Amateur)
User ID 49520

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Voice Acting Trailer
5. Re: Guild Wars 2 Voice Acting Trailer Dec 17, 2009, 01:44 Endo

Let me know once they have better customer support for their crap than they do for Guild Wars. Until then I want nothing more to do with their products.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Warhammer Online Reenlistment Campaign
5. Re: Warhammer Online Reenlistment Campaign Dec 16, 2009, 14:51 Endo

Maybe once it's FTP I'll consider coming back. Until then, there are so many better ways to spend $15 a month.  

News Comments > Age of Conan Wants You Back
11. Re: Age of Conan Wants You Back Nov 11, 2009, 16:20 Endo

And where, pray tell, would they make a profit?
Item mall, like pretty much every other free-to-play.

News Comments > Age of Conan Wants You Back
8. Re: Age of Conan Wants You Back Nov 11, 2009, 16:17 Endo

There wasn't anything really wrong with the game when I tried it, it just wasn't that fun. There's FTP MMOs out there that are more fun, so why would I go back at any price?  

News Comments > Heroes of Newerth Trailer
2. Re: Heroes of Newerth Trailer Aug 30, 2009, 14:56 Endo

Yeah, I don't think they know what tower defense games are.

Also, I tried the beta of the game. It's fairly well done and fairly polished, but the heroes were unbalanced, and the stealth abilities of a few of the heroes are completely overpowered.

News Comments > Ubisoft's Anti-Piracy Plans
105. Re: Ubisoft's Anti-Piracy Jul 31, 2009, 02:43 Endo

You miss the obvious - because they can.
Yeah, that's an obvious answer - obviously wrong.

Sure, lots of people have done *some* pirating simply because they can, but not to the extent that you described. Shall we take another look at your statement?
I know a fair number of pirates who will not purchase a title unless absolutely forced to, like in the case of an MMO or game with compelling multiplayer.
Again, the vast majority of people who pirate to that extent don't do it simply because they can. But you wouldn't know that, because you think you already know the reason people pirate and so didn't even bother asking. Sorry, you don't. It's almost always about money, pure and simple. Most people who pirate games buy the ones they want the most and that they can afford. Then they pirate the rest that they kind of want, but aren't really worth the price tag. Sure, with most products that fall into that category they'd just do without. But with software, it's available so why not? Either way the developer's not losing anything. You'd be surprised though how many of those games they actually would buy if they were more affordably priced.

So yes, the developers are right to consider some percentage of pirated downloads potential lost sales, but they're 100% wrong about why they're lost and what to do about it. Those people aren't going to buy that product at the price it is being sold, regardless. Trying to force people to pay for what they're already getting in such a situation is never going to work. If they actually had the money to buy it, they already would have. Suing won't do any good for the same reason - the money just isn't there. Unless the developer is willing to compromise on the price, then he should simply ignore piracy because he's not willing to do what it takes to make the sale. It's exactly the same principle as whether or not a fancy steak house wants to compete with McDonalds. Look at all those people eating food that they're not buying from our steak house! Look at all those lost sales! If only we could force them to buy our steak, look how much money we'd make!

Yes, the pirates are getting their software for free. Yes, it's illegal. Yes, it's not fair. But from a financial standpoint, it doesn't matter the least bit if you're not willing to do what it takes to make the product worth the money.

In short, the only reason a company should ever concern themselves about piracy is if they are interested in seeing if they can reclaim enough of those lost sales by reducing the price to be more profitable than they are at the current price point.

Any other reason is not worth their time or money. Too bad for them that they can't see that.

News Comments > Two Worlds II Announced
36. Re: Two Worlds II Announced Jul 5, 2009, 05:18 Endo

It wasn't Oblivion: No shit. The best description that has been repeated that I started long ago is "an updated Diablo".
No, that's not the complaint a lot of people have. The complaint is that it tried to be Oblivion and failed miserably.

Can't hit anything on mounts: I can. Wasn't that hard to master.
Sure it's *possible* to hit something on a mount. The sad part is, even with the damage bonus for hitting something from a mount, it's quicker (not to mention about 10x easier) to dismount, kill it on foot, and remount than to try to kill it from the mount. And that's still not getting at the fact that this game has the worst mount controls I've ever seen, in any game.

There's a reason it's selling for $2.90. Basically, if you've already finished every other hack n slash CRPG out there and you still have spare time and just have to have more, this one might be worth the $2.90 for you. Otherwise, don't bother. Unless there's some major improvements in the next one, it also won't be worth the money.

18. Re: Two Worlds II Announced Jul 3, 2009, 16:52 Endo

I guess Bioshock just isn't for everyone. I thoroughly enjoyed it all the way through to the end.  

13. Re: Two Worlds II Announced Jul 3, 2009, 15:31 Endo

I played Two Worlds. It was fun... for about a week. Attacking from a mount? Sure, assuming you can even control the damn thing properly in the first place. The only reason I used a mount *at all* was for the storage space. I never used it for transportation more than absolutely necessary. Attacking from a mount wasn't even a joke, it was that bad. The online co-op was ok, except it was a terrible pain in the butt to set up, and with the permanent stat increasing items you could get, your character became unbelievably overpowered in no time. Oh yeah, and getting good gear mostly involved just visiting the vendors over and over and over to find the set you liked with the stats you needed to stack with eh... what was it, 100(?) others. Not that it mattered, because the permanent stat boosts let you do anything you wanted with the worst shit in the game.

I never played the single-player much, because I don't care much for open-ended single-player RPGs, and this one just seemed like a game that wanted to be Oblivion except couldn't. Oh, and did I mention that the mounts sucked giant donkey nads?

News Comments > StarCraft II LAN Dropped Due to Piracy
132. Re: SC2 LAN & Piracy Jun 30, 2009, 19:44 Endo

I'll be sure to quote you on that after SC2 and D3 hit
A game doesn't have to be good to be a hit. And it certainly doesn't have to live up to the standards of WC2, SC, and Diablo2. I didn't say they wouldn't sell well. I said their reputation will take a hit. And yes, you can quote me on that.

130. Re: StarCraft II LAN Dropped Due to Piracy Jun 30, 2009, 18:06 Endo

The people who created all the old Blizzard games, Warcraft 1 through Starcraft, really aren't there any more.

WC2 was headed by.... Bill Roper. Which shows that even a stopped clock is right twice a day. I guess even he feels that the times changed.

Which is precisely why I find it so amusing that so many people think that the soon-to-be-released Blizzard products will be as good as the previous iterations. It's been almost 5 years since WoW was released. In that time, all we've had is expansions. It's really not that hard to add more content to a game that already exists. And just look at how well they've done with that. The writing's all there, you just have to know how to read. Blizzard's status as a premier developer that releases only top-notch, fun games is about to take a sharp nose-dive.

127. Re: StarCraft II LAN Dropped Due to Piracy Jun 30, 2009, 17:33 Endo

And you can't get your LAN online?
It's 2009? Who has a local network in their home that's not connected to the internet, or at least has access to wireless for all the computers?
Even when you can get everyone online, it's not worth the hassle. And that's not even considering the fact that you're now trying to get not just one computer online for an RTS, but at least 4, and maybe 8+. Not everyone is on FIOS you know. In many places around here, you're lucky to get 1.5 Mbps down/384Kbs up. You know as well as I do that there's no way in hell that's going to support any kind of LAN party online. And this is 20 minutes from a major city.

All of which is rather moot. I'm the customer. I don't have to have a "good" reason to not purchase it. It's their job to get me to want to buy it, not my job to want to buy what they're selling. The fact is, for myself and many others, this constitutes enough of a reason to not purchase it that I am quite confident that the lost sales from this will far outweigh any potential sales gained from less piracy. There's plenty other good RTSes to play out there; I don't have time to play them all as it is. Would this have been one of the best ones in the near future? Probably yes. Would I have loved to play this one? I don't see why not. But since they're making this decision, I have no problem at all making a decision to not play it. It's their loss, not mine.

News Comments > StarCraft II LAN Petition
16. Re: StarCraft II LAN Petition Jun 30, 2009, 15:03 Endo

Think of all the late-night LAN parties that won't happen.
They'll still happen. They just won't include SC2. Blizzard's loss.

91. Re: StarCraft II LAN Dropped Due to Piracy Jun 30, 2009, 15:00 Endo

Everyone I know plays who plays RTSes plays almost exclusively on LANs. Including me. I, for one, will not be purchasing it with no LAN support, though I would have otherwise.  

News Comments > StarCraft II LAN Petition
11. Re: StarCraft II LAN Petition Jun 30, 2009, 11:27 Endo

Lulz. An RTS with no LAN. GREAT IDEA!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2009, 15:10 Endo

Unless you live on a farm without another house within miles, using a .22 to shoot squirrels around your house would be pretty irresponsible.
Not at all. You just have to know how to use it responsibly. If you're actually in a rural area and you are careful, it's quite safe.

Most farms have numerous houses within a mile.

News Comments > Mount&Blade: Warband Video
4. Re: Mount&Blade: Warband Video Jun 8, 2009, 12:19 Endo

A long time ago? This game only came out last year....
Starmonkey is correct. There's been a beta out for years. The great part is, the keys to fully unlock the beta have also been available for years, and started out very cheap (I believe less than $10 US)... and they also guaranteed that the beta keys would work for the final release as well! And guess what, mine does. The game was well worth the wait.

Anyway KUDOS to the developers a husband and wife team!

This game rocks and at the same time its a big "Fuck You!" to the big name publishers who have no clue as to what makes a game great or how to go about building them without million dollar budgets and 100 man teams....
Could not agree more. This expansion is the only new PC game coming out this year that I care about.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2009, 15:48 Endo

@ Fion

Wow. I absolutely could not agree more. You really hit the nail on the head. I fact, I think the atrocious state of class balance more than anything else may have been what caused me to get fed up with the game.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2009, 15:10 Endo

I don't see how people can complain about hard modes. It is literally the only way to make dungeons difficult enough for the hardcore players without shutting out millions of players from story content.
No, it's not. The only thing the "harder" content really requires in the end is more time. If you have less hours per week to play, why the **** do you think you should expect to get through the same content in the same time as the players that have more time to play? So you didn't make it through all the content in the previous expansion before the next one came out, and that's a problem? Why? Just because YOU can't play through it fast enough doesn't mean they should stunt future content just so YOU can feel like you're keeping up. TBC actually hit the balance almost perfectly when it came out, and before all the content nerfs. The only legitimate complaint that casual players have ever had about "inaccessible content" was back when you had to do 40-man raids to get gear you needed to not get crushed in PvP. Now, if there wasn't enough lite content to keep the casual players occupied, that might be considered a legitimate complaint, if the game was being marketed towards those types of players. That is clearly not the case.

Think of a game with no daily grinding, but "finishing" the game was shut off to you unless you could find two dozen people to sit and bang your heads against content several nights a week. What is the point of that? The only point I can see is that a few people get to feel better than other people in a video game. Why would Blizzard have a vested interest in spending the vast majority of their work time and money on those people? Their money doesn't spend any better than anyone else's. They've proven they aren't even any more loyal than other customers.
I see. The problem is you just don't get how an MMO works. An MMO is not a game that is supposed be "finished" by anyone, ever. If someone "finishes" the game, then you didn't provide enough content fast enough. A "finished" customer is a lost customer. The idea is you do the content that interests you most. You're not supposed to get through all of it.

Most of what people complain about, the only solutions they would be happy with, no game company on earth has enough money to create and still turn a profit. Lots of armor at every single level with different textures and models? A dozen different levels of raids, all of them different from one another? Patches packed with content every single month? Zones the size of continents?
That's funny. Blizzard has plenty of money for that, and have done all of the above in the past, with the exception of your pointless exaggerated comment about "patches packed with content every month".

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2009, 11:53 Endo

I'm not sure exactly what it is about the latest expansion that ultimately made me quit. The only bad thing about TBC was arena (may it rot in hell). Other than that, TBC really was (at least initially) a lot of improvements over vanilla. Way more dungeons, way more end-game content to progress through, way, waaaay more gear variety, which also lead to more viable talent specs, etc. Sure, the outlands zones weren't the greatest, but thanks to the new races and Karzahn being in Eastern Kingdoms, the old areas weren't entirely deserted. Essentially, except for Arena, TBC mostly just built on what the players already liked about the game. Then along comes WotLK. Far less dungeons added (most of which aren't even necessary for progression), far less gear variety, in fact far less of just about everything that used to make the game interesting and fun. More boring quests, and a few new things that really don't add much to the game. Namely, vehicles, the special PvP zone, and the phase system where you're in your own little version of WoW and so the game can change based on quests, etc. Sounds cool in concept... except I don't play an MMO to play by myself. I play MMOs to meet up with random people. If I want single-player content, I play single-player games. And then they nerfed all the content as much as possible without making it too obvious, to where there really is no challenge any more. Oh, and basically destroying the classes and class balance didn't help them any either.

I guess sometimes it's better to just improve the content that's already there, and add twists that players experience the same content in new ways.

At any rate, it's now been 4 months since I last loaded up WoW, and unlike other times I tried to quit, I've had absolutely no desire to go back.

This comment was edited on May 20, 2009, 11:54.

274 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo