Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for CH

Real Name CH   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Endo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 6, 2008, 23:34
Total Comments 304 (Amateur)
User ID 49520

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > EA Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO
36. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 3, 2014, 22:35 Endo

Devinoch wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 19:30:
Oh, my bad. Thank you.

Polite, intelligent analysis in a comments thread? God help us, what have we come to?

EA's made some bad moves and they've made some good moves. I think at this point we as gamers should be cheering efforts to course correct with good moves just as much as we lambast the bad ones. In doing so, we offer positive reinforcement and teach good behavior rather than instilling a "well, everyone hates everything we ever do, so fuck'em" attitude that many jaded people in the gaming industry are starting to get (myself included)...

~c.

For the past decade and counting, EA has not released anything worth more to me than a used mouse turd. Why would I care what they do now?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EA's $1B DLC Goal
17. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 26, 2014, 23:06 Endo

Beamer wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 21:04:
For one, games cost a shitton more to develop now than they used to,

Only if developers choose to spend a shitton. It's been continually demonstrated that even now, most gamers care more about fun gameplay than whatever crap costs a shitton to develop. Yes, you can spend a shitton and develop a successful game. You can also not spend a shitton and still develop an insanely successful game. You can also spend a shitton to develop a steaming pile of feces and wonder why it's not successful, then blame it on piracy or whatever all the while ignoring the fact that it's still a steaming pile of feces regardless of how many shittons of money you spent on it.

And considering how many of EA's games are just rehashed crap of which 90% came from the previous game in the series, I don't think you can make a good case for their games to require high development costs, especially with a game like Madden.

News Comments > Blizzard Financials; WoW Down to 6.8M Subs
31. Re: Blizzard Financials; WoW Down to 6.8M Subs Aug 6, 2014, 09:26 Endo

Muscular Beaver wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 03:49:
PropheT wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 02:49:
Endo wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 01:50:
It'll go up, but not all that much. WoW is on its long slow way out.

The real problem keeping old-school players (like myself) from ever coming back is that they've just changed it too much. All the old WoW we'd want to experience again is long since gone. They'd probably get more re-subscribers if they just re-released vanilla or TBC WoW than with a new expansion.

It's not the game that most old players are missing, it's the people and guilds and everything that made the game what they thought it was back then. The game itself is better now than it was during vanilla or BC... people pining for the old days need to realize that their nostalgia for that period wasn't the game itself but the experiences they had during it, and those aren't just going to re-materialize if that game came back.

Speak for yourself. I and all of the people I know who stopped playing dont like the new mechanics since Cata, how classes got changed, lost many abilities that were there for a long time and dont want something like that happen again. Quests have become boring, because they are all in one place, etc.
When looking at the game after Cataclysm, it felt like a completely new development team got assigned to it (and that basically was indeed the case). That wasnt WoW anymore, it felt like a clone all of the sudden.

The game has been dumbed down a lot, so I dont know how you can say its better now than ever before.

Did you ever take a look at the private servers that try to recreate WoW only up to WotLK and how many players they have?

Precisely. Those things along with the way they changed the gameworld itself completely killed any chance anyone would ever come back due to nostalgia.

I myself played through vanilla, TBC, Wrath, and started Cata. For me, vanilla was good, TBC was the high point, and it was just downhill from there. Wrath was just too much catering to casual players, while Cata was just one giant ball of fuck-up. And since Cata completely wiped away the old WoW I originally came to love, I never had any reason to go back. The WoW I miss no longer exists.

I think the real beginning of the end for me was when they put in LFG queues for dungeons, effectively killing off whatever community the game still had. Virtually overnight, world zones emptied out as players started just sitting in town waiting on queues, and instead of running dungeons with players on your server that you might know by reputation, you started running them with random players you'd never seen or heard of before and never would again.

News Comments > SimCity Trial Version
7. Re: SimCity Trial Version Aug 6, 2014, 01:54 Endo

Or you could just load up the old classic 2K version for free (or dirt cheap, if for some inexplicable reason you don't have an old copy lying around somewhere) and have a much better game for a lot longer than 4 hours.  

News Comments > Blizzard Financials; WoW Down to 6.8M Subs
20. Re: Blizzard Financials; WoW Down to 6.8M Subs Aug 6, 2014, 01:50 Endo

Omni wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 20:25:
6.8 is still a lot and I will go up again once warlords of draenor go live.
The only thing that can kill WoW is WoW.

It'll go up, but not all that much. WoW is on its long slow way out.

The real problem keeping old-school players (like myself) from ever coming back is that they've just changed it too much. All the old WoW we'd want to experience again is long since gone. They'd probably get more re-subscribers if they just re-released vanilla or TBC WoW than with a new expansion.

News Comments > Firefall Launches
14. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 30, 2014, 00:44 Endo

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 00:01:
To have any argument for P2W, it would have to be true that you could ONLY get high-quality gear by paying real money, etc.
I disagree. A lot of games have started using a new trick. You can get premium stuff with in-game currency... it just takes so much of it that the average player cannot possibly do it. You either have to spend about 100+ hours a week grinding, or buy it with real money. Or, in the case of premium consumables, a free player has to make do with less of them than paying players. This is no big deal in PvE, but I very much consider it pay-to-win in PvP.

News Comments > No Stained Steam Keys for Bundle Buyers
10. Re: No Stained Steam Keys for Bundle Buyers Jul 28, 2014, 23:14 Endo

No sympathy from me. The video game industry was built by people making games in their spare time and giving them away for free. Only once you've established yourself should you expect to be able to make a living doing this. Until then, don't quit your day job. That's how entertainment works. ESPECIALLY now with a billion and one games available and more being released every day.  

News Comments > Screencheat Embraces Screencheating
12. Re: Screencheat Embraces Screencheating Jul 25, 2014, 13:19 Endo

siapnar wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 09:43:
Points for originality, but there's no way in hell I'd want to play this
My thoughts exactly. Don't think anyone will want to play this for very long.

News Comments > Evening Patches
2. Re: Evening Patches Jul 22, 2014, 23:43 Endo

And DE continues the trend of launching garbage no one wants while fixing nothing. Yes, why don't we shoehorn PvP into a game that is spectacularly unsuited for it, because of a few vocal whiners. Great idea. My only regret is that I ever spent money on it.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Entanglement Trailer
5. Re: Guild Wars 2 Entanglement Trailer Jul 8, 2014, 20:35 Endo

Maybe if they got rid of the vertical progression grind I could give a fuck about this game again. I'm not holding my breath.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 April 2014 Feature Pack
10. Re: Guild Wars 2 April 2014 Feature Pack Mar 21, 2014, 15:41 Endo

Keilun wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 00:32:
Creston wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 21:22:
Oh well, we'll see what happens. I wish Anet had guys as good at developing systems as they have guys who are good at developing content.

Completely agreed. My gf and I have stopped playing GW2 lately because of the poor systems. For me, I have the biggest beef with their living world, skill system, ascended gear and skins.

Living world has been pretty much a grind fest of achievements. It's okay the first time (if you manage a bug free experience, QA?), but after that, they want you to grind the same events at least 5 times over to receive your participation award. Most events ultimately wind up being the same zerg fest you see with the rest of the game, it's pretty uninspiring. I'll admit that the closest they've come to something entertaining was the clockwork puppet boss event in Lornar's Pass.

I've never been a fan of the same restrictive 5 skills per weapon. I'd like a bit more customization than having an offhand weapon set to swap to to open up new weapon skills. Some weapons are plain garbage which exacerbates the problem. Their proposed solution in dev right now? Open up class restriction on weapons... Not exactly the right solution...

Ascended gear has a huge problem too. With gear is so directly tied with your build and the sheer amount of grinding you need to do to get a full set of ascended, by the time you're able to purchase the gear you're left wondering "but what if I want to try this other build"? They have the solution sitting right in front of them (allow them to change stats on the fly), but they're intent on making that a Legendary only capability. They've already said that Legendaries should be purely cosmetic, but apparently that's thrown out of the window.

Lastly, skins. Jebus. I haven't bought a single skin because of this, but I have collected so many from events and such and I still haven't used a single one. Why? Because it's one-time use. If you want to apply it to another item, you have to use GEMS to remove the skin and apply it to another item. Skins should just simply unlock account wide. There's a reason skins aren't selling like hotcakes and I suspect that this is one of them.

The game could be so good it makes me so angry. Grrr. Here's to hoping Wildstar is what we've been looking for.

/endrant.

WTF, did you read my mind?

Coming from GW1, I have been quite disappointed with the skill system from the start, particularly the skills being tied to weapons. And then ascended gear really put the nail in the coffin for me. A few months ago I found the web interview again where they specifically stated the gear system was intended so players would have best stats possible by level 80. Yeah, right.

I gave it another go, trying to get back into the game a couple months ago. That lasted about a month, before I got fed up with the grind for ascended gear again and the fact that all combat encounters have devolved to nothing but DPS spam-fests.

It all makes me sad because we know how great this game could have been if they'd just included more of what made GW1 great.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online's $500 Gold Mechs
62. Re: MechWarrior Online's $500 Gold Mechs Dec 16, 2013, 09:24 Endo

Spaceherpes wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 00:11:
Flatline wrote on Dec 15, 2013, 18:48:
Oh pay2win, where paying real world money gives you a distinct in-game advantage.

Last time I checked, there were premium coolant tanks that let you attack more, longer, that you could only purchase with money. At that point, my P2W flag went off and I quit playing.

You can upgrade the 9 shot to be equal to the 18 shot (the pay version) if you spend GXP. I've only purchased mech slots for this game and I've never felt like I was at a disadvantage.

I don't really see the gold mechs or tiered packages as a problem with the game. Their presentation and timing sucks, but their existence does not. I dislike their pricing model, but that's a different argument. I do see the lack of real updates or content as a problem. Their inability to balance the game is a problem and that makes the upcoming Clan release really frightening. Rumor has it that some long awaited features will be released in January, but, at this point, I'll believe it when I see it.

And the last time I checked the 9 shot still cost enough credits that no one can make enough money to cover its cost every game. And something like that, there's generally no reason NOT to use it to get an early advantage every game. And that's only one consumable out of three you can carry.

Pay2win doesn't mean "if I spend enough money I'm guaranteed to win". It can simply mean that by spending money you will get an advantage that lets you win more often than you would otherwise.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online's $500 Gold Mechs
59. Re: MechWarrior Online's $500 Gold Mechs Dec 15, 2013, 18:06 Endo

So this kind of crap is why people actually believe games like World of Tanks are good games. I won't even buy premium tanks in that game because I consider them a ripoff, and they top out at $50.

Oh, and MWO is not an MMO.

News Comments > DICE Pauses All Future Projects for BF4 Repairs
28. Re: DICE Pauses All Future Projects for BF4 Repairs Dec 5, 2013, 02:04 Endo

Oh look, yet another BF game released broken. What a surprise. I mean, it's not like it's happened with every other BF release. Oh wait...  

News Comments > The Sims 4 Next Fall
7. Re: The Sims 4 Next Fall Oct 23, 2013, 02:06 Endo

Dev wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 23:47:
I'd buy sims 3 if I could get the COMPLETE package with everything ever released ever under $100.
As long as its going to cost me $1000 or WTF ever, no way.

Wow is this a first? EA listening to their customers? And people here say complaining never does anything.
It's not out yet. Give them time, they'll find a way to royally fuck it up.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic PvP Space Combat Expansion Announced
21. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic PvP Space Combat Expansion Announced Oct 9, 2013, 12:55 Endo

vrok wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 03:28:
ColoradoHoudini wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 00:17:
Does anyone remember the anonymous employee that came out and lambasted this game for too much audio, not enough content.. the game would fail.. etc? Turns out.. he was RIGHT
While I agree that too much money spent on voice acting instead of the game brought the overall quality down, the game had tons of content at release. It was just leveling content and not end-game/PvP content. If you leveled multiple characters, and especially of both factions, you could have fresh content for months. I rather enjoyed the dungeons too.
Yes, it had lots of nice single-player story quests and some moderately interesting small-group instances. None of this is MMO content. Everything in SWTOR could (and should) have been done in a multiplayer version of KOTOR. SWG was an excellent example of what a Star Wars MMO should look like. SWTOR is an excellent example of how not to make an attempt at a Star Wars MMO.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Launches
15. Re: MechWarrior Online Launches Sep 18, 2013, 16:06 Endo

Zarkonis wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 15:18:
As big of a BattleTech fan as I am, I won't touch this one until they put in a social environment, and add in PvE.

That will be the day after Blizzard re-releases vanilla WoW, and SOE re-releases SWG at the last patch pre-CU.

14. Re: MechWarrior Online Launches Sep 18, 2013, 16:02 Endo

JohnBirshire wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 14:45:
I played the older MechWarrior games long ago, so was curious about this one. However, after watching numerous videos, it looks to be incredibly repetitive. Are you not just doing the same thing over and over again indefinitely?

Yes. And apparently with the changes made throughout the last few months, only sniping builds are viable now. So you're REALLY just doing the same thing over and over indefinitely.

11. Re: MechWarrior Online Launches Sep 18, 2013, 13:23 Endo

I started playing last fall (almost a year ago) and quit playing last winter when instead of fixing the massively broken ECM, they instead decided to put their energy into making the game P2W. What a joke this POS is. My only regret is that I ever gave them any money.  

News Comments > Saints Row IV Sells 1M in One Week
25. Re: Saints Row IV Sells 1M in One Week Aug 29, 2013, 21:32 Endo

ItBurn wrote on Aug 29, 2013, 20:01:
Endo wrote on Aug 29, 2013, 19:12:
So yeah, I preordered SR IV the day before release. It was worth it. However, I do have to rate it very slightly lower than SR III, for a couple reasons.

1. It uses the exact same engine and graphics, and most of the elements of SR III. So that makes it feel more like an expansion than a whole new release.

2. I don't like the story nearly as well, but that could just be my personal taste.

Like I said, very slightly lower than SR3. It's still a very good game.

Really? I liked SR4 more. I hated the story in the 3rd... It made no sense, not in a good way. The voice acting wasn't too hot for most characters and the dialogue itself barely made sense.

4's voice acting is top notch and the story actually makes sense!

So like I said, my personal taste. Not disagreeing about SR4, btw. I just happened to like SR 3 a bit better.

304 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo