Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for CH

Real Name CH   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Endo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 6, 2008, 23:34
Total Comments 318 (Amateur)
User ID 49520

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall
24. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall Jan 26, 2012, 00:35 Endo

Alamar wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 19:02:

As if grinding for gear isn't bad enough, at least we don't have to grind for skills and abilities...

-Alamar
Obviously you've never played GW, but I'm still baffled just how you imagine people grinding for skills and abilities.

But that aside, let me assure you, there's no grinding for skills and abilities in GW. There's normal skills and elite skills. Normal skills can be purchased from various NPCs. Finding the NPC that has the skill you're looking for can be a bit of an adventure, but once you've found him, well, there you go. Elite skills are generally acquired by killing a special boss mob that has the skill, then capturing it from him. I could go on in detail about how grinding (and the lack thereof) works in GW, but this is not the right place for that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall Jan 25, 2012, 14:49 Endo

Nomaar wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 13:08:
Endo wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 12:24:
"and grinding for gear doesn't cut it."

Uh, yeah... but that's generally the entire purpose for increasing the level cap: to force everyone to grind for gear all over again. That's THE biggest reason I don't like level cap increases.

GW kept adding new skills and abilities to collect as a way to keep advancing your character. New gear was available from the new dungeons and other content they added, but the stats were the same as the old gear. They just had new cool skins, which as it turns out is plenty incentive for people to put in lots of effort to acquire them.

But above all, the new content was just fun to play through.

Don't get me wrong, GW wasn't perfect. There's many reasons I quit playing it. But this is one area where they definitely got things right.

So what you're saying is that people still grinded for new gear in the GW expansion, but they did it to look cool, instead of getting more stats. What is so innovative about this? And all MMORPGs usually include new skills and abilities in their expansions, as well as new content to play through.
Some people did, but many people also just bought the items (or materials to craft items) from other players who got lucky.

But that's the cool thing about how the game was designed - if you like to grind, you can do that. If you don't, you don't have to. They also introduced a small bit of ultra-difficult content in Nightfall and Eye of the North that required some faction grinding and highly-skilled players to successfully complete. But again, it's all purely optional. It's like being able to cherry-pick raid dungeons in WoW, and run only the ones you want, and only as often as you want.

Only the central storyline content could be considered "required" in the GW campaigns, and that was trivially easy with no grinding required.

As for new abilities in MMOs, yes they do add them. But they don't add nearly as many, and generally the new abilities are required to complete the new content. Guild Wars abilities are like cards in MTG - they don't give you more power so much as more options.

News Comments > Battle.net World Championship Announced, No BlizzCon 2012
8. Re: Battle.net World Championship Announced, No BlizzCon 2012 Jan 25, 2012, 12:28 Endo

nin wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 11:58:
Beelzebud wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 11:45:
I still can't believe that Mists of Pandaria isn't a practical joke on the gaming community.

Oh well, it assures I am really done with WoW!

While I do miss WOW, I miss what it was, and not what it is now, or what MOP will bring to the table.

Same here.

8. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall Jan 25, 2012, 12:24 Endo

"and grinding for gear doesn't cut it."

Uh, yeah... but that's generally the entire purpose for increasing the level cap: to force everyone to grind for gear all over again. That's THE biggest reason I don't like level cap increases.

GW kept adding new skills and abilities to collect as a way to keep advancing your character. New gear was available from the new dungeons and other content they added, but the stats were the same as the old gear. They just had new cool skins, which as it turns out is plenty incentive for people to put in lots of effort to acquire them.

But above all, the new content was just fun to play through.

Don't get me wrong, GW wasn't perfect. There's many reasons I quit playing it. But this is one area where they definitely got things right.

4. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall Jan 25, 2012, 10:43 Endo

Frijoles wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 10:24:
Are you saying MMOs shouldn't increase levels with their expansions?
Yes. Players don't need a "carrot & stick" to keep playing. They just need fun content. Guild Wars proved quite well all by itself that level cap increases aren't necessary, but it's not alone. GW had its share of shortcomings, but at least ArenaNet got that part right.

1. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall Jan 25, 2012, 10:21 Endo

Awesome! Not only do you get to scrap all your gear and start over, you also get to gear up a mount!

Yes, that was sarcasm.

The above is also why I never bothered with LotRO after the beta. If I wanted to deal with that shit I would still be playing WoW.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 This Year, Beta Expanding Soon
42. Re: Guild Wars 2 This Year, Beta Expanding Soon Jan 24, 2012, 20:31 Endo

I hope you're right Fion, but I remain skeptical.

Being able to transfer stats from one piece of gear to another is not at all the same thing as not having a gear grind, and the simple fact they're putting that feature in at all is another big warning sign that reads "GEAR GRIND AHEAD!" You didn't need to transfer stats from one set of gear to another in GW because aside from the handful of newbie gear, all gear had the same stats anyhow (well, once they released Nightfall anyway, and even before then stat differences were minor). And most newbie gear styles also had a set with max stats.

I really really liked the starting setup in Nightfall, where you could literally go pick up a set of max gear about 30 minutes after creating a new character.

37. Re: Guild Wars 2 This Year, Beta Expanding Soon Jan 24, 2012, 11:40 Endo

PHJF wrote on Jan 24, 2012, 11:19:
I like leveling up. It's not a Pavlovian thing, I just like feeling my characters get stronger. You fight enemies... you level... and the same enemies become a little easier to fight. It's simple, effective character progression and it's why leveling up has been a video game staple for decades.

The only benefit to having an arbitrarily low cap (as in Guild Wars) is that balancing becomes far less work.
I don't mind level progression either, as long as it doesn't include perpetual gear progression as well. The problem is the two usually go hand-in-hand in MMOs, and the former is often just there to enable the latter.

35. Re: Guild Wars 2 This Year, Beta Expanding Soon Jan 24, 2012, 09:11 Endo

Creston wrote on Jan 24, 2012, 02:18:
Endo wrote on Jan 24, 2012, 00:29:
Second, there's a much higher level cap. Why? A low level cap works just fine. Unless, of course, you're putting in a gear grind, where many levels help drag out the process. I personally am sick and tired of gear grinds.

Speaking purely for myself, I was disappointed when my character was "maxed out" at level 20. I played with him/her for quite awhile more, and would have enjoyed being able to alter / add to him during that time.

It's not guaranteed that a higher level cap does that, of course, as most of the time it just turns into the pavlov's "ding" design that was talked about earlier, but if done well, with interesting character choices to be made, allowing you to build your character longer could be very interesting.

Creston
But that was the thing with GW, there was still plenty of character building to be done once you hit cap. Just not in the same way as most MMOs. Also, if you think about it, continued character building via levels really only means something if there's NO level cap. Otherwise, you're expected to hit the cap, and that's that. More levels just means the increments between 1 and cap are smaller. Doesn't mean you actually get to make more choices or anything. Of course it can seem like you do, but that's just a placebo effect.

33. Re: Guild Wars 2 This Year, Beta Expanding Soon Jan 24, 2012, 00:29 Endo

I have mixed feelings about GW2 after the first one, mainly because I think they're getting rid of some things that set the first one apart from most MMOs, and made it better.

First, we already know they're getting rid of primary/secondary classes. That's a very bad thing, because it greatly reduces the number of unique builds you can do. We also know you have a lot less control over the skills you can take, because half your skill bar is entirely dependent on what weapon you're holding. Sounds a lot more like the skill systems in most MMOs rather than the one in GW, which makes it an altogether different game than GW, and not in a good way.

Second, there's a much higher level cap. Why? A low level cap works just fine. Unless, of course, you're putting in a gear grind, where many levels help drag out the process. I personally am sick and tired of gear grinds.

I don't care so much about "sandbox" vs. "themepark". What I care about is having content because it's fun to play through, not content you have to run over and over and over because you need to get this or that gear or faction so you can progress and do the next bit of content over and over and over.

Also, they're going to have to find a way to pull in more money faster from the cash shop than they did with GW. The original GW was (relatively) cheap to operate because of how it was designed using instancing. That's gone in GW2, which means it's going to take the same server hardware and bandwidth as every other MMO out there... and that ain't cheap. I fully expect there to be skills or other useful (if not necessary) items you really can't get except by buying them from the cash shop, or by investing insane amounts of time as in most current F2P MMOs.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Bans Follow-up
60. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Bans Follow-up Jan 3, 2012, 18:22 Endo

Flatline wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 17:24:
Endo wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 17:04:
Lorcin wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 15:19:
so tried to add him to ignore and the game said he didn't exist.
Of course, that doesn't really mean much. One of the current bugs is that players often "don't exist" when they're not logged in. Makes it rather frustrating trying to add your friends to your friends list at times. Especially adding their alts.

So he may have simply logged off, may have been suspended, or may have been deleted. No way to know.

Oh man I have other gripes & complaints about TOR.

I'd be more conceptually cool with the "warning" if a patch were to come out in the next day or two after the warning fixing it. Along with a public statement saying "Until patched, doing X, Y times a day is considered an exploit".

As far as gold farmers, they've already started and the banhammer is fine. I got system mail offering to powerlevel my character to level 50 for 20 dollars American.

My complaints are that the game, while fun, is a technical mess on the back end. Bioware and whoever EA hired have real problems with designing an MMO that actually... you know... works. My ping and framerate is more or less rock solid (framerate will dip in certain areas but even in heavy action it stays the same), but get more than two PCs in the same area and you start seeing lag bubbles, glitches, and all kinds of sh*t. Right now if more than 5 PCs are in combat at once in an area my computer CTDs almost reliably. I'm also not the only one to have the mouse freeze during the lag bubbles, ensuring that you can't do anything whatsoever until the bubble passes. We've seen the miracle regenerating monster (the mob gets down to <10% health and instantly bubble warps and is at full health, repeat ad nauseum), mobs that are impossible to loot (permanently "too far away to loot"), companions that die randomly when running through lag bubble areas of the server (it's bizarre that it's constrained to certain small geographical areas) that are instantly raised again if you walk 20 feet out of the area, etc etc... This isn't on a full server with a queue, which I could sort of understand. This is on an average population server, on worlds like Tatooine which had like 30 players total on it, from both sides.

My friend, who was an MMO beta tester at one point, has suggested turning on process monitors during gameplay and seeing if CPU usage spikes during a lag bubble. If it does, it means that the game is sending sync-updates that are way too large and the computer bogs down processing them and trying to run the game and trying to process the normal incoming data all at once. He's also curious if they're running virtual servers, which will seize/allocate system resources the more populated the servers are. If that's the case, low/average population servers may actually literally have not enough resources allocated to them.

What's frustrating is that I'm sending in detailed bug reports constantly, and it's been nearly a week since the last patch. The game is in no state to run a week or two without patching.
Yep, there's definitely a fair bunch of bugs. But that doesn't surprise me, given the publisher is EA. I've seen too much from them in recent years to expect otherwise. Then, couple that with the fact that it's an MMO, and well, there you go.

Thankfully I've not run into too many serious bugs. The list I've seen personally is pretty short.

- Adding friends bug (mentioned my last post)
- "Show Sith Corruption" option constantly resetting itself to the default (on). Seems to happen whenever joining a group, or whenever changing zone/phase while in a group
- Actual ammount of hitpoints of party member not displaying correctly on the UI. Was playing my healing sorcerer and had to keep clicking on my friend's tank companion to see its blue health bar above its head, as the bar by the portrait always showed full.
- Resource nodes unusable. (My working theory as to how this happens is someone scans the node, then for whatever reason doesn't loot it... leaving it still present, but locked, thus no one else can use it.)

I know there's a thousand more bugs that are equally (or a great deal more) significant, so I'm just grateful I've not encountered them.

47. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Bans Follow-up Jan 3, 2012, 17:04 Endo

Lorcin wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 15:19:
so tried to add him to ignore and the game said he didn't exist.
Of course, that doesn't really mean much. One of the current bugs is that players often "don't exist" when they're not logged in. Makes it rather frustrating trying to add your friends to your friends list at times. Especially adding their alts.

So he may have simply logged off, may have been suspended, or may have been deleted. No way to know.

19. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Bans Follow-up Jan 3, 2012, 12:45 Endo

Stolk wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 12:34:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 10:46:
I feel it's unethical to warn, suspend or ban players who are playing the game within the mechanics you designed instead of the way you intended. If your mechanics allow an action you did not intend, change the mechanics.

Badly said.
I agree. While I'm generally against game developers banning players to cover up poor design on their part, there's also the other side of the equasion: "Our goal is always to ensure a fair game experience for all players while also protecting the rights of individuals, and if people are disrupting the play experience for others action will be taken."

Ultimately the exploiters are going to be vastly in the minority, yet even so in an online game such as this their exploits can have a major impact on the economy for everyone else.

It's not so much about covering up poor game design as it is purely a business decision. Better to piss off a few customers than to have a large number get frustrated and leave.

News Comments > The Old Republic Bans?
40. Re: The Old Republic Bans? Jan 2, 2012, 00:34 Endo

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 1, 2012, 20:35:
Solution? Ban the player for one week and during that time fix the exploit. As for the foul language, they need to either employ a filter or ignore it - it's clearly not abusive and therefore should be tolerated, especially in private chat. But banning people for using foul language is unacceptable, just like banning people from playing games for forum comments is unacceptable.
There is a filter and it's enabled by default.

News Comments > Guild Wars Interview
4. Re: Guild Wars Interview Dec 28, 2011, 17:41 Endo

I was about halfway through skimming over the story before I realized it's about GW and not GW2. Yawn. I want my 90 seconds back please.  

News Comments > On The Old Republic Queues
40. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 23, 2011, 08:53 Endo

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Dec 23, 2011, 02:15:
The only thing I find mind boggling is all the goddamn whining all the fucking time about everything. The online community is the most fucked up, bitter, depressed community out there.

I know whining about whiners leaves me in an awkward spot but I care not. SWToR is a new MMORPG. New. As in... released last week. I have played WoW on day one and compared to what it has become, I can no longer understand how I could've enjoyed it without major frustration. SWToR is perfectly playable and I don't get it why people like my cousin, my friends and I love this game while the online community keep slapping their dicks on the plank o' complaints. My cousin was biased as hell because of all the bullshit going on on the SWToR forum months back.. but he got over it after realizing it's all just whining. Whining whining whining whining.

I know 99% of the whiners enjoy the games they whine about very much. Very much. It's not like we're talking about a major fuck up like Rage anyway.

Just.. sit back, and THINK about all the crap complaints you write down and if it's really worth your time. After that you might concider if it's not more productive to stop pouring the emptiness of your pathetic little life onto the internet, coated in whine.

I'm the whiner who whines about whiners now and I realize that, but I'm ok with that. Had to get it off my chest and it felt good.

Online game community.. Ugh, sorry bunch. Hate to be a part of it.
I certainly don't feel about it as strongly as you, but I understand and agree.

Me, I'm just having fun in SWToR. I care not about getting to level cap or whether this or that build is better for this or that or whether it's all balanced or not. My only concern is what is going to be fun.

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 DLC Image
15. Re: Modern Warfare 3 DLC Image Dec 23, 2011, 00:00 Endo

[VG]Reagle wrote on Dec 22, 2011, 18:51:
Well sounds like the usual MW3 bashing.... The rest of the world happily plunked down a 1.5 billion dollars MW3. I bet each and everyone of the people posting below own a K/D ratio of about 0.2.
All I will say is, I'm glad I have my life and not yours.

37. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 18:15 Endo

Wallshadows wrote on Dec 22, 2011, 16:58:
One of the best things to look forward to with game is that there is almost limitless content they can use because of the era it centers around. Perhaps each expansion could focus on new Sith lords from that time frame or experience the events in lore as they unravel through history.

It's really exciting if they are able to capture that much of the Star Wars universe and provide quality content.
The other great thing about new content is they don't have to fudge around with current content to make the new stuff fit in. Add a new planet with your new content on it. Done.

36. Re: On The Old Republic Queues Dec 22, 2011, 18:13 Endo

Longswd wrote on Dec 22, 2011, 04:35:
I'm finding myself saying that about of lot of things in SWTOR. Some rather curious oversights, like no LFG "dungeon" finder. No filtering by equip slot or attribute properties on the auction house. The inability to move UI elements about, a sin compounded by the lack of any add-on support. No target of target display, no defensive target mechanism (I know of the focus target option, it's not very useful) etc. etc..

Some of us don't want all those features. I, for one, absolutely despise the LFG dungeon finder tools as implemented in WoW and Rift. It's one of the major reasons I quit those games. Why? Because it inevitably results in people doing nothing but sitting in a city waiting on the next queue. I don't play MMOs so I can either just city in a city waiting on a damn queue or run around in a nearly-empty world. I can do that in any cooperative RPG with a game lobby. That's Diablo II FFS.

The rest of the things you mentioned, while somewhat inconvenient, are surely not gamebreaking. And they'll be fixed soon once they implement the possibility of mods.

In the meantime I'm greatly enjoying the game just as it is.

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 DLC Image
8. Re: Modern Warfare 3 DLC Image Dec 22, 2011, 17:57 Endo

Ventura wrote on Dec 22, 2011, 17:47:
Modern Warfare 3 had one of the shortest campaigns ever. Literally finished it in 4-5 hours.

In its defense, I enjoyed it a lot more than Battlefield 3's campaign, which really didn't feel like it was any longer either.

That said, if the DLC for MW3 is only going to be new maps, they can forget about me buying any of it.
To be fair, the battlefield series has always been about multiplayer and they've never made any claims about the campaign being that great. Also, BF3 is less of a rehash of previous games than MW3 is - or so I've been told. I won't be arsed to waste my money on either one.

318 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo