Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Nashville, TN 02/27

Regularly scheduled events

User information for CH

Real Name CH   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Endo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 6, 2008, 23:34
Total Comments 337 (Amateur)
User ID 49520

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > New Guild Wars 2 Cameras to Include First-Person
11. Re: New Guild Wars 2 Cameras to Include First-Person Feb 26, 2015, 14:23 Endo

Yawn. The only update that will ever get me to care again is the one where they turn it into a real successor to the first GW. So, never.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Windows 10 Free with Raspberry Pi 2
17. Re: Windows 10 Free with Raspberry Pi 2 Feb 2, 2015, 16:20 Endo

Wow, they are really desperate to get people to move to Windows 10. Understandable though, considering how hard it was to get people to move on from XP.  

News Comments > Star Trek Online Turns Five
22. Re: Star Trek Online Turns Five Feb 1, 2015, 18:04 Endo

Yet another grind event. Used to be you just had to run a special mission to get event stuff. Not any more. Now every single one is just another grind, as if there weren't enough grind already. Hope you like running the same crappy mission 15 times for one lousy ship!

I think it's finally time to uninstall.

News Comments > MS: Windows 10 "Best" OS Ever Created for Gamers
61. Re: MS: Windows 10 Jan 16, 2015, 17:03 Endo

MS has already worked up too much of a reputation for making every other version of windows suck giant dildo. Considering they skipped 9, 10 could in fact be the bestest version ever and it wouldn't even matter because everyone already knows the good one got skipped this time.

I think I'll just stick with 7 until SteamOS is ready for primetime.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Server "Strike" Plans
57. Re: Battlefield 4 Server Jan 2, 2015, 15:23 Endo

TheEmissary wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 14:22:
Matchmaking can be great when it works out that your placed on a server with people of comparable skill or experience.
So basically, you'd be content with AI that plays as well as you do.

Matchmakers mostly defeat the purpose of multiplayer, which is to interact with other players. People don't interact much if at all with players they've never seen before and probably will never see again. Or if they do "interact", it's nothing but trolling, name-calling, etc. etc. It's bad enough in WoT that they put in the option for players to disable chat.

Honestly, AI that plays as well as a player would be better than a multiplayer matchmaker system.

52. Re: Battlefield 4 Server Jan 2, 2015, 09:44 Endo

Slick wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 06:17:
Endo wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 05:19:

i pointed out that CoD and titanfall can't keep 6v6 MM lobbies full, so it'd be pretty hard for any other FPS game to fill a 32v32 lobby. you then proceed to tell me that if a non-FPS game with 1.1 million concurrent players can do 15v15, then it's obvious that any other game can.

you're the one who brought up the comparison against a game from another genre, in a completely different league of popularity. Then i tried breaking down the reasons why this comparison is awful.

you apparently read "a bunch of BS" as i read "facts supporting my argument"

been fun!

Except as I just pointed out, it's not 1.1 mil concurrent players. It's 5-15K. It doesn't matter how many players they have on different servers if they don't play together. Thus, any game that has at least 10K concurrent players has plenty. Genre means nothing for this discussion. Ergo, your argument was nothing but BS.

48. Re: ArcheAge Head Start Issues Jan 2, 2015, 05:21 Endo

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 02:21:
Trevellian wrote on Jan 1, 2015, 18:12:
Endo wrote on Jan 1, 2015, 15:42:
ColoradoHoudini wrote on Jan 1, 2015, 14:34:
I just want another AAA title FPS where we operate the servers and we make the rules. I don't need 100 levels of permanent unlocks and perks nor any other ways for them to suck money out of me (DLC map packs).

Wolf:ET was awesome for this.. unlocks were based on total progress throughout a campaign. Each campaign had about 5-6 maps or so. After the campaign ended, the stats reset for everyone. We made maps, we made mods and we ran the servers.

I know that the new Blizzard game wont allow that.. maybe something else will come down the pipe which will
I don't think it likely we'll ever see a AAA FPS like that again. See the problem with good FPS's like that is they have too much longevity. They need people to move on from them quickly so they can sell them the next iteration a year or two later with minimal investment. No, any remaining good FPS we'll see will come from indie devs. AAA FPS are now marketed for the masses, aka gamer 'jocks' who just buy and play games because they're cool and all their cool friends do.

Wolfenstein New Order would like a word with you. It is AAA, it is FPS. It needs no stick dangling, it has a spectacularly well done story and environment. The game is fun, has no DLC. Beatufiul graphics, fantastic gunplay. Multiple ways to play through the levels as well as slightly alternate storys through the game depending on a decision made by the player.

The AAA FPS is not dead, most people just overlooked it this year. Hands down the best FPS Experience I've had since Half Life.

This entire topic, when saying FPS, really means MP FPS ,) SP wise there is no shortage of FPS games... the problems start with Multiplayer ,)
That's true. Maybe we should have clarified that earlier lol. Obviously longevity doesn't matter much for SP games, because players will always need more SP content to keep it interesting.

47. Re: Battlefield 4 Server Jan 2, 2015, 05:19 Endo

Slick wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 01:41:
Endo wrote on Jan 1, 2015, 21:32:
Slick wrote on Jan 1, 2015, 21:02:

maybe using world of tanks isn't the best example to help your argument. last i checked they've reached 1.1 million concurrent users
Maybe you don't realize that the 1.1 million concurrent users means nothing in this context, because WoT is split amongst various servers, all of which have their own pool of players and matchmaker. US West, for example, is completely separate from every other server. And as I posted previously, even when it has only 7-10K users, which are additionally split into 10 tiers, depending on which tanks players are using, it still has no trouble with a 15 vs 15 battle. As of right now, there are exactly 10,910 players on US West, and average wait time for a 15 vs 15 is still probably around 10-15 seconds.

BF is divided into geographic areas too, also game modes, expansion packs/premium, ranked/unranked. infact there's a whole lot of options if you've never played the game before. so many infact that i'd wager it's potential server list is way more fractured than worldoftanks.

classic mode, infantry only, unranked, 3rd expansion pack, US West, obliteration game mode. wanna know how many live servers are playing that right now? none. not to mention that i qualified my statement comparing BF against FPS games. not one of the biggest games in the world. did you know that world of tanks made more $ (through microtransactions) than WoW did in 2013?

MM can be done, but as i'll repeat once more, It will only work in BF if there's ONE option, and it just auto fills lobbies and auto picks game modes. the game is already so fractured (which you'll never change), that it's the only feasible way to get MM to work, and possibly not even then. gotta wait until BF is putting up WoT numbers in total users, then maybe it'd have half a chance.
So why didn't you just stick with that, instead of making your primary point a bunch of BS about there not being enough players, when there clearly is? Your problem is wanting to play game modes and expansions that no one else does, apparently, and that's going to be a problem regardless of matchmaker, servers, etc.

And yes, matchmakers only work when you greatly restrict the number of options players can select, which, again, is one of the reasons matchmakers suck and are inferior to dedicated servers in every way.

43. Re: Battlefield 4 Server Jan 2, 2015, 00:26 Endo

Kevin Lowe wrote on Jan 1, 2015, 22:50:

Besides, skill matching isn't the only potential advantage. I listed of a couple of others, but it comes down to the fact that by collecting data during play, we can figure our just what kind of player everyone is and use those metrics to match them with like-minded individuals. I'm thinking of talkativeness, tendency to stick together, tendency to focus on objectives, etc..
Frankly, that sounds terrible. In every possible way. You can't quantify exactly what kind of a player someone is, and you can't quantify exactly what kind of player will be fun for you to play with. Sometimes the most enjoyment comes from where you least expect. Not to mention the complete lack of community something like that causes. And you wonder why no one's bothered trying to implement something like that? Thank god you're not a video game developer.

39. Re: Battlefield 4 Server Jan 1, 2015, 21:32 Endo

Slick wrote on Jan 1, 2015, 21:02:

maybe using world of tanks isn't the best example to help your argument. last i checked they've reached 1.1 million concurrent users
Maybe you don't realize that the 1.1 million concurrent users means nothing in this context, because WoT is split amongst various servers, all of which have their own pool of players and matchmaker. US West, for example, is completely separate from every other server. And as I posted previously, even when it has only 7-10K users, which are additionally split into 10 tiers, depending on which tanks players are using, it still has no trouble with a 15 vs 15 battle. As of right now, there are exactly 10,910 players on US West, and average wait time for a 15 vs 15 is still probably around 10-15 seconds.

This comment was edited on Jan 1, 2015, 21:38.

35. Re: Battlefield 4 Server Jan 1, 2015, 20:37 Endo

Slick wrote on Jan 1, 2015, 19:09:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Jan 1, 2015, 18:00:
Slick wrote on Jan 1, 2015, 17:49:
BF has had match making for a while, it's the PLAY NOW button.

however any MM solution only works when you have a critical mass of concurrent players, otherwise it's a mess.

I'm partial to a data-driven experience for normal ranked play, with dedicated servers handling all the custom server options.

but still, look at the new CoD, it's MM and on day 2 %90 of the playlists were empty. i've literally never played %90 of the game modes in that game, because there are 0 games found, and waiting for 15 minutes to see one other person jump in then right out of the lobby is pretty painful.

IMO any MM function HAS to be "all-in" ie. everyone just clicks PLAY NOW and it decides the game mode etc. if you want choice, then pick your own dedicated server. then you SHOULD have enough players to kickstart all the cool gamemodes i never play.

BF4's Play Now just drops you into a server from the browser list; if anyone can join any server, then it completely circumvents the MM's ability to maintain a fair game.

true, but i think that's more a byproduct of there not being enough people to fill a lobby for this game. CoD can't fill a 6v6 lobby in anything other than TDM, Titanfall is also 6v6 and even the TDM lobbies are rarely able to be filled. The fact that people expect a server browser with BF games (who never click PLAY NOW) and having to fill 64 players are reasons that the PLAY NOW works the way it does, it's simply not feasible.

in a couple decades hopefully there will be enough gamers worldwide to be able to support great MM functions, which i do believe is the future, but even the most popular FPS games can't pull it off with 6v6, so we've got a long way to go baby.

There's plenty of gamers out there to fill battles with matchmakers. World of Tanks has no trouble filling 15 vs 15 battles, and that's even on the US West server when only about 7-10K people are playing, and players are split into 10 tiers. And their matchmaker is garbage. If CoD is having trouble filling a 6 vs 6, there's something horribly wrong with it.

But matchmakers in general are just about the worst idea ever invented for games. If MM went away tomorrow, the video game industry in general would be so much better.

22. Re: Battlefield 4 Server Jan 1, 2015, 17:33 Endo

Kevin Lowe wrote on Jan 1, 2015, 17:26:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 1, 2015, 16:04:
The reaction from dice will most likely be that games going forward won't have any dedicated servers and just be instanced from a cluster of servers hosted by Amazon or Microsoft, 64 player games be damned if need be.

Hardline will still have dedicated servers but who wants to bet that the Star Wars flavored Battlefield game is "one click play" match making on instanced servers.
I know this is presented as a bad thing, but really, that's my ideal. Compare stats, find 23/31/47/63 equally skilled players, start a VM with the game server, pick 3 similar players by factors such as tendency to play the objective vs. killing, lone wolf vs. following orders, talkativeness, etc. and squad me with them.

A data-driven approach to creating the perfect game every time? Sign me up.

I can't begin to express how much I hate matchmakers. It takes away all your choices from you. It destroys any sense of community. With dedicated servers, you can control who you play with, what game options you play with, etc. etc. There's just no comparison.

There's one simple thing they could add in games with MM, that would improve them so much. Yet it's never been done AFAIK, and for the life of me I cannot figure out why. And that is a blacklist, of players you never want to play with again. Add a player to that list, and MM will never put you in the same match again. Why isn't that a standard feature in every game with a MM? It surely should be.

21. Re: Battlefield 4 Server Jan 1, 2015, 17:29 Endo

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 1, 2015, 16:08:
The big publishers will never stop milking their cash-cows. Hardline is just Battlefield 4.5 when you think about it. COD is identical to every COD except for minuscule details. And aside these 2 franchises there is really not a lot else on PC. Just tons even worse FPS (f2p...)
Yup. Which is why I haven't bought FPS from big developers in years. The last CoD I bought was the first Modern Warefare, and the last BF I bought was BC2. Both I bought only because my IRL friends were playing them. Both were a total waste of money for me. Hated every minute I played them. I would rather play UT GOTY from '99, which people still play online. Hence my comment about too much longevity.

12. Re: Battlefield 4 Server Jan 1, 2015, 15:50 Endo

Gadzooks wrote on Jan 1, 2015, 15:42:

I dont think there is much hope for this game series anymore.
There never was. BF series has been one giant SNAFU from the very first one. Do people just forget this? Every single BF ever released hit the market in a just-barely-playable state, and had 90%+ of its bugs ignored for its entire lifetime. I'm sure there's still bugs in BF4 that have been around since BF 1942. If you have to give Dice QA a grade, it has always been D- or worse. When it comes to quality, BF series is by far the worst AAA franchise ever.

10. Re: Battlefield 4 Server Jan 1, 2015, 15:42 Endo

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Jan 1, 2015, 14:34:
I just want another AAA title FPS where we operate the servers and we make the rules. I don't need 100 levels of permanent unlocks and perks nor any other ways for them to suck money out of me (DLC map packs).

Wolf:ET was awesome for this.. unlocks were based on total progress throughout a campaign. Each campaign had about 5-6 maps or so. After the campaign ended, the stats reset for everyone. We made maps, we made mods and we ran the servers.

I know that the new Blizzard game wont allow that.. maybe something else will come down the pipe which will
I don't think it likely we'll ever see a AAA FPS like that again. See the problem with good FPS's like that is they have too much longevity. They need people to move on from them quickly so they can sell them the next iteration a year or two later with minimal investment. No, any remaining good FPS we'll see will come from indie devs. AAA FPS are now marketed for the masses, aka gamer 'jocks' who just buy and play games because they're cool and all their cool friends do.

8. Re: Battlefield 4 Server Jan 1, 2015, 15:34 Endo

ASeven wrote on Jan 1, 2015, 14:10:
Inevitable, considering DICE never gave a shit about the community and about their own games since BF:BC2 BF 1942. Hopefully there'll be a lot less people buying Betafield 5 this turn around, BF3 and 4 were terrible at launch and are still rather terrible today.

No reason to trust DICE, in fact, there never was any reason to begin with.
FTFY.

Another BF comes and goes, with myriad problems that never get fixed. Same as always. Yet somehow people are still taken by surprise. I'm not sure if that's hilarious or just sad. Maybe both simultaneously.

News Comments > Respawn on Titanfall on Origin vs. Steam
37. Re: Respawn on Titanfall on Origin vs. Steam Dec 21, 2014, 10:28 Endo

DangerDog wrote on Dec 19, 2014, 20:53:
no dedicated servers.
This, along with unnecessary artificial "progression" are the two main things that make me give nearly all new FPS's a pass. Character/account progression has no legitimate place in competitive PvP games, and hinders them far more than it 'helps'. And lack of dedicated servers is just a recipe for frustration and irritation. No, I don't want some stupid matchmaker algorithm deciding where I play and who I play against.

These things far more than the game being only on Origin were why I never gave Titanfall a second glance.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Community Warfare Beta
11. Re: MechWarrior Online Community Warfare Beta Dec 13, 2014, 02:09 Endo

KS wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 18:23:

Why the eff couldn't they sell this on Gog like normal people?
Because they're greedy fucks who couldn't care less about their customers, and there's a lot more money for much less effort in pay-to-win free-to-play.

News Comments > Target Halts Grand Theft Auto V Sales Down Under
62. Re: Target Halts Grand Theft Auto V Sales Down Under Dec 3, 2014, 21:22 Endo

Prez wrote on Dec 3, 2014, 15:41:
Wraith wrote on Dec 3, 2014, 13:04:
Yeah, the thing is, we banned semi-automatics and cut our gun massacres to zero. You guys need guns to feel like men and you're still killing your kids.

We're ahead of you mate. By decades.

This is way off topic, so feel free to shoot me in the face (I'm a guy so it's perfectly okay!) But I have to say Australia =/= America. In Australia the main type of firearm owned by the citizenry are hunting rifles, and even then, don't you have to belong to a licensed hunting club to own one? Correct me if I am wrong, but the only ones that even had access to assault rifles were the standing army who kept them locked up in their homes. It was easy to ban assault rifles in Australia and enforce the ban because they knew exactly who had them and where they were, and there were relatively very few of them. There is an ungodly number of assault rifles in the US and there is no way in hell at this point that a ban could be realistically enforced. It's even more ridiculous of a notion given how many handguns are in the US. To argue at this point whether the US should or shouldn't ban some or all type of firearms is beyond pointless. The US is not Australia.

This, exactly. Trying to clamp down more on firearms in the US would be even less effective than the prohibition was for getting rid of alcohol.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Refunds Reconsidered
30. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refunds Reconsidered Nov 22, 2014, 12:37 Endo

Sgt. Rock wrote on Nov 22, 2014, 08:39:
What's all the fuss about?
I understand that offline would have been nice for people with really bad connects, modding and when the servers go down in a couple of years(then they'll probably release the server code).

People who really can't play the game because of their connection(or lack off) will get a refund and will have to get over the fact that they can't play the game.

But everybody else especially those who have been playing the alpha and beta for months now, shouldn't be complaining.

I don't think this was a ploy to get more people to sign up for the Kickstarter, but to make as many people happy as possible.

The fuss is about the terrible way they handled it, and the fact that they lied about it.

I was never interested in this game, and couldn't care less if I can play a game offline or not, but I would never even consider buying anything from this developer now, purely because of the massive pile of BS they've created here.

They knew what they were developing, they knew they were lying, and they obviously didn't care. Fuck 'em.

337 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo