Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JS

Real Name JS   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ryvar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 24, 2000, 21:31
Total Comments 17 (Suspect)
User ID 4927

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > id & Valve Assets in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?
6. Probably an accident Apr 6, 2007, 20:24 Ryvar

The most likely explanation is entirely benign - it's very common for smaller or indie developers to use assets (particularly the original Doom 1 WAD files) from 'classic' games as placeholders with the intention of replacing them later with inhouse, legal versions. ie "We want a gunshot sound vaguely like the pistol in Doom 1, we'll come back and replace this later with our own version."

It's not terribly uncommon for one or two placeholder assets to slip through the cracks of a major title during crunch. It's not supposed to happen, but when developers are short on time it just does. I *highly* doubt this is a case of wholesale, intentional plagiarism. At any rate, it'll almost certainly be overwritten in any future patches.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > D&D Online Alpha Begins
3. Blegh Aug 2, 2005, 10:37 Ryvar

DDO has one big, big factor going for it - Dungeons and Dragons has sufficient depth and flexibility in its ruleset that with the right build you can all but completely break the game. The graphics may look like ass right now, and it may not be any fun, but if they stick to the 3.5 rules even mostly the gameplay will be flatout broken. This is not a bad thing, because often broken = more fun.

This comment was edited on Aug 2, 10:37.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Tools
11. Re: Anyone want to bet... Mar 24, 2004, 20:25 Ryvar

Many game devs and mod makers are used to Maya - leaving the file formats open so that people can at least make export<->import tools only enhances the utility of the Source engine to any potential developer professional or other.

It would be both a poor financial and public relations move to close off the file format, when export tools are fairly trivial to make, therefore it is logical to conclude that Valve will not do this.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Tools
6. Re: Anyone want to bet... Mar 24, 2004, 20:00 Ryvar

It wouldn't be in Valve's best interest to close off the file formats from potential mod developers, so I highly doubt this will be the case.

News Comments >
8. An obvious comparison comes to mind Feb 20, 2004, 10:49 Ryvar

You know, whenever I hear about DNF anymore, the first thought that pops into my mind is, "At least Derek Smart manages to actually SHIP games." I'm no fan of the aforementioned Galactic Commander, and when he's solidly outperforming your company - it might be time to question whether it's time to throw in the towel.

News Comments > German Sacred Gold
1. Speaking for myself Feb 18, 2004, 10:23 Ryvar

I for one would like to request more Germenglish posts . . .

News Comments > Derek Smart vs DreamCatcher
21. Re: Enormous brain Jan 30, 2004, 04:10 Ryvar

Erik got a job at a gaming company, Chet now manages an ISP/hosting service and (probably) still works on the Portal Of Evil network base code.

The OMM forums disbanded and reformed at caltrops.com, which (God forbid our host go back up due to this virus) I'm one of the admins for.

News Comments > GameSpy, Security, & the DMCA
13. Buffer Overflows: Anatomy and Solution Nov 12, 2003, 16:13 Ryvar

A buffer overflow, for those who don't know, works as follows:

Any Intel processor has 'working memory' (NOT RAM - but akin to a small amount of RAM on the chip itself) aka a memory stack - when you try to write memory beyond what that stack it wraps straight around and starts overwriting the very code the processor is actively executing!

So what I do to take advantage of a buffer overflow is attempt to find a place in a given program where the program asks for input, and then enter the following data:

garbagegarbagegarbage { HACK FUNCTION AND ALL RELATED CODE } garbagegarbagegarbage { GOTO HACK FUNCTION }

What ends up happening is that the 'goto hack function', if my garbage is the correct length, ends up overwriting the next active instruction to be executed, and causes the processor to start executing the hack function.

That's a rather nasty problem. Enter a solution used by OpenBSD (BSDs are like Linux but even more Unixy, OpenBSD is the paranoid-security variant of the BSDs) - code your operating system such that all memory pages are either writeable, or executable, but not both. You may lose performance points, but this more or less squashes outside buffer overflows.

Microsoft has expressed interest in adopting this approach as well, but it may be some time (Longhorn?) before they do so.

5. Re: The dreaded DMCA... Nov 12, 2003, 13:55 Ryvar

One disadvantage to the DMCA9000 - it only works on the messangers.

1. I love this idiocy Nov 12, 2003, 13:17 Ryvar

Yes I do. An Italian bug researcher helpfully tells Gamespy of serveral weaknesses in their product, only to be slapped in the face and falsely accused of committing several crimes despite not even being a US citizen.

Thank God I make it a point not to use Gamespy's products or download from them. Companies who sport this kind of head-in-the-sand approach to security are a threat to the well-being of their clients.

News Comments > Consolidation - ATI & Xbox 2
15. This is great news for all of us Aug 14, 2003, 14:07 Ryvar

Now that nVidia has some breathing space to focus on their technology while ATI is trying to live up to Microsoft's strident demands, we might actually start seeing a competition again. The roles have been reversed and I for one can't wait to see the outcome of this, because real competition only means that we the consumers win.

--Ryv

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Well Aug 12, 2003, 08:14 Ryvar

It's better than what the US DoJ managed to do once Ashcroft (our attorney general who ripped up the Constitution with the Patriot Act, remember him?) took over and basically killed the US pursuing MS.

Given that Microsoft has quarterly revenues of $12billion and cash holdings of $48 billion at the moment, this $521 million is only 1.3% or so of their total cash holdings alone, but to their accountants that's still a nasty blow. Combine it with the $700 million for the AOL + IE for seven years deal and you have the making of a significant dent in their spare change as of late.

Hope we see a few more like this - have a feeling there might be an IBM vs. Microsoft showdown stemming out of the current SCO vs. Linux/IBM lawsuit, and it goes almost without saying that ANY tech company vs. IBM's invincible patent portfolio = a massive win for IBM. IBM has this tendency to grind opponents' genitals under their heels in such cases for kicks (and cash).

News Comments > Tech Bits
4. What's actually going on May 2, 2003, 15:32 Ryvar

What's actually going on here is that SCO, a sinking ship financially, is trying to get IBM to buy them out. It's basically just blackmail. Even if there is anything to the claims, Linux isn't really in any real danger - IBM will just buy them out to shut them up and life procedes as before.

(IBM contributes substantial amounts of code to Linux, btw)

As to how Linux started/what it is:

Linux was written by Linus Torvalds, a Finn, in his basement as his own little project, with some slight basis/inspiration from Minix. The GNU Public License is a sort of viral-freedom software license that essentially states you can do anything you want with the software, but you must provide any modified versions of the software free to everyone. The idea is that everybody can use it without charge for any reason and nobody can yell about software patents or try to stop them - if Adolf Hitler wanted to run gas chambers with it, so be it. The GNU project was essentially trying to recreate most of UNIX but hadn't finished creating the core component - the kernel. That happened to be exactly what Linus had written. So he put the kernel he wrote (Linux) under the GPL, and the basis of the rest of the system comes from the GNU project's software.

The only real weakness to this approach is that companies who don't want the source code to their products on display, but still need to use some bit of code that is under the GPL are essentially screwed, and this is where the BSD license comes in.

The BSD license essentially states 'give the authors of the code credit, and otherwise do whatever the hell you want with this code.' Thus companies likes Microsoft infinitely prefer the BSD license. Now, BSD doesn't get a tenth the attention Linux does in the open source world because it's a much slower, painstaking collaboration of bits of code that are now considered 'perfected', for all intents and purposes. The end result is that there is much less BSD software than Linux software, and it doesn't ever have as many features, but what's there is usually far more secure, stable, and 'perfect' for lack of a better word.

There are three BSD kernels, each of which comes with one distribution of utilities - OpenBSD (for security freaks), NetBSD (runs on over 65 platforms - for instance the i386 would be one platform, the PowerPC chip from IBM would be another platform), and FreeBSD (performance/user friendly).

OpenBSD is about the best operating system possible if you want to make an incredible firewall out of your older computers, for instance.

Linux only comes with ONE kernel that everybody uses (but patches differently), but over 150 different standard distributions of utilities/apps are available.

Hope some of you found all this informative,
--Ryv

News Comments > Games & Washington
17. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2003, 14:17 Ryvar

I'm sorry, but are you dense?

The left is amoral, which means they don't care what people play.

The right doesn't think government should impose, so they don't usually (unless the religious wing starts boo-hooing again) usually care either.

This is a *centrist* problem - the middle, sheepy, soccer-mom SUV 2.5 kids fat and borderline retarded American public calling for this crap.

It is not endemic to either Democrats or Republicans - it hails and assails from both parties because both parties have a good portion of middle America. Due to war opposition, the Democrats have a lesser share right now, even.

Joeseph "Stalin" Lieberman doesn't represent the party, he's just another politician in it, and at the very center of the spectrum that the word 'Democrat' covers.

News Comments > Tech Bits
1. Nice Apr 4, 2003, 11:10 Ryvar

"Perhaps they should just covet Google's mastery of their niche and apply it to the rest of their business?"

Good line, Blue.

News Comments > Star Wars Galaxies Delayed
33. Surprising! Mar 15, 2003, 05:14 Ryvar

I am Jack's COMPLETE lack of surprise. I mean, Jesus God am I not surprised here. I would say that I yawned upon reading this, but it's more like my yawn itself yawned and said 'ho-hum' and so I never even bothered yawning, let alone rolling my eyes or showing any other visible reaction . . . just WOW was I totally expecting to see this and probably a few more like it before the game actually ships.

On a less sarcastic note, the reason id doesn't have to release dates to please investors is because they're completely privately owned by four of the people in the company - Adrian Carmack, Kevin Cloud, Todd Hollenshead, and John Carmack each own roughly 25%. IIRC, Adrian and Kevin together own just a smidge more than 50%, however.

News Comments > The Fellowship of the Ring Demo
33. ARGH Oct 27, 2002, 11:03 Ryvar

Anyone manage to find that blasted Sackville-Baggins woman? Where is she?

17 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo