Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Umbragen

Real Name Umbragen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 27, 2008, 00:58
Total Comments 410 (Amateur)
User ID 48752

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

News Comments > "More Broad Appeal" in Blizzard's Next MMOG
12. Re: Sep 15, 2009, 12:20 Umbragen

How did this guy become the head of the biggest gaming publisher in the world?

Activison bought Blizzard. (OK, Activison 'mated' with Blizzard)

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 2009, 12:21.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
3. #EAFail Sep 11, 2009, 14:07 Umbragen

I pretty much ignore EA anymore. I guess that's why I had no idea what this article was referencing. Now that I do know, all I can say is - Damn those assholes at Bioware, fucking sell-outs.  

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Sep 9, 2009, 16:35 Umbragen

The notion of 'open' beta certainly has lost its meaning. I downloaded the Aion client not realizing that keys were limited. That'll teach me - wasting 10 gigs of bandwidth on an NCSoft game.  

News Comments > Dungeons & Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited Live
14. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited Live Sep 9, 2009, 16:23 Umbragen

I don't know that it's possible to earn enough favor playing the free content to unlock the more interesting aspects of the game. Even if you spend a few bucks on store points it's a hard sell. I agree with the poster above, if you want to play this game get a subscription. If you're going to end up buying the content through the store it will cost you far more. On the other hand, for the 'casual' gamer, it's not a terrible way to piss-away a few hours for free.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2009, 16:25.

News Comments > Metaverse
2. Why your Web content will look darker.. Sep 8, 2009, 19:42 Umbragen

Let me guess - next to the brilliance that is the Mac OS, everything looks darker?  

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Aug 31, 2009, 00:03 Umbragen

You can always tell when you strike a nerve with a wing-nut, they have an almost preprogrammed response - lies, laced with invective. It's hard to believe they completely controlled the government just a few short years ago; blame the gullible.

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 2009, 00:04.

News Comments > RAGE Interview
3. Re: RAGE Interview Aug 29, 2009, 22:02 Umbragen

iPhone games? I guess we'll soon be sending Carmack off to join Spector, Garriot, McQuaid and a host of others on the island of washed-up game developers.  

News Comments > Metaverse
2. Fix the Internet? Aug 28, 2009, 00:21 Umbragen

Who cares, now that the lawyers are taking over it ain't worth fixing. It's a dump anyway.  

News Comments > EA: Marketing = 66-75% of a Game's Budget
8. Re: EA: Marketing = 66-75% of a Game's Budget Aug 27, 2009, 17:40 Umbragen

I'm really gonna have a hard time convincing myself to buy The Old Republic. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will suck as bad as most MMO's.  

News Comments > EVE Online Banking Story
28. Re: EVE Online Banking Story Aug 27, 2009, 02:29 Umbragen

This garbage is a prime example of how time leads the mob to repeat the past. Take Jimmy Carter. This clown just about ruined the US economy with his stupid policies. People voted in a new leader who soared into the stratosphere. Time passes and the mob forgets. They elect another clown that has no clue how to run even a basic economy and the same thing happens yet again.

Where did you did you hear this bullshit? Economic History according to Neal Boortz? Nothing you mention has ANY basis in fact. You don't remember the Reagan recession? How about Bush Seniors recession? What about Bush Juniors recession, surely you were alive to witness that? The wingers have gone completely nuts.

News Comments > Fallen Earth Apocalypse Party
4. Re: Fallen Earth Apocalypse Party Aug 27, 2009, 01:30 Umbragen

I can't figure out what's eating the processor/gpu cycles. The graphics are passable at best but the game handles so sluggishly you'd think you should be seeing Crysis level rendering. Somethings not right, code wise. Another thing, I actually live in the area they are portraying and the lighting is just wrong. It could be the one graphical element that would give the landscape a sense of the real - you could overlook allot had they done it right. No luck though. The game does do some unique stuff, but I don't know how many people will last long enough to see it.  

News Comments > Turbine Sues Atari over DDO
16. Re: Turbine Sues Atari over DDO Aug 27, 2009, 01:01 Umbragen

DDO didn't do well because it played too much like the table top game - a table top game where the role of Dungeon Master was automated and unaccommodating. At release, as I recall, the game was a very faithful interpretation of the 3.5 rule set. The mechanics were spot on, but there was very little of the narrative that makes playing a AD&D module engaging. Plus, you had to employ traditional D&D grouping to complete much of the content. It was just a bitch to get into, unless you were playing it like traditional AD&D. Add to that the lack of any sort of PvP and the loss of those potential customers, it's easy to see why the game floundered.

From what I've seen of the recent beta, many of the game's really rough edges have been smoothed over. It's more flexible at least. It holds up ok graphically. It could use some more character variety, though. It should make money, not enough to make Atari happy, but Atari needs to realize that AD&D has never been a great fit for cRPGs and it's even worse for an MMO. Bioware and Obsidian had to adapt the rules and they didn't have to deal with a persistent game world.

News Comments > Champions Online Discount Subs Sold Out
17. Re: Champions Online Discount Subs Sold Out Aug 26, 2009, 12:06 Umbragen

If you think you might want one at a later date, I wouldn't worry. I can almost guarantee they will try to sucker you out of your money again.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 26, 2009, 04:34 Umbragen

I'll buy a Blu-Ray burner, just as soon as it costs the same as current DVD burners. Blu-Ray movies? Who cares.  

News Comments > More on id and Linux
12. Re: More on id and Linux Aug 24, 2009, 00:16 Umbragen

Isn't it about time to stop pretending that a Linux desktop is anything but a fucking joke?

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 2009, 00:17.

News Comments > The Old Republic Video Walkthrough
2. Re: The Old Republic Video Walkthrough Aug 22, 2009, 15:34 Umbragen

If I were playing the bounty hunter though-guy, I would prefer to give those guys the finger rather than wave like a little girl.  

News Comments > WoW Cataclysm Announced
33. Re: WoW Cataclysm Aug 22, 2009, 10:46 Umbragen

Great, they gave Horde a gnome-like race for everyone to hate on....

On second thought, even goblins could never suck as bad as gnomes. Maybe Blizzard could take a page from Sony - Ratonga anyone? Or maybe Frogloks?

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 2009, 10:47.

News Comments > John Carmack on PhysX
33. Re: John Carmack on PhysX Aug 22, 2009, 10:30 Umbragen

I don't disagree with his appraisal, I just don't give a damn what he thinks.  

News Comments > Mafia II: No DX10/DX11
13. Re: Mafia II: No DX10/DX11 Aug 19, 2009, 16:00 Umbragen

The vast majority running XP don't have computers capable of running most recent AAA title games. And if you for some reason have a Core i7 / GTX 295 rig and are running XP, allow me to laugh maniacally at you for wasting your hardware.

Yeah, you're not running Aero and you can't play Halo 2, you're such a fool.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Linux Aug 12, 2009, 11:17 Umbragen

I always get a kick out of it - whenever someone suggests that Linux is a viable desktop operating system, but to implore tech sites to embrace Linux? That's satire so subtle, so heavily disguised, so nuanced, that the article reads like they are totally serious. Ya gotta hand it to those geeks, they are brilliant!  

410 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo