Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Umbragen

Real Name Umbragen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 27, 2008, 00:58
Total Comments 424 (Amateur)
User ID 48752

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > No WinXP Support in Just Cause 2
91. Re: No WinXP Support in Just Cause 2 Feb 24, 2010, 12:12 Umbragen

The only good reason for porting an XBox 360 (DX9) game to PC and making it a DX10 exclusive is to generate the kind of response that gets 90+ posts on a gaming forum thread. I don't remember even hearing about Just Cause 1. I wouldn't have given Just Cause 2 a second glance. But now, I've just spent at least 5 minutes glossing over the various arguments here, all in reference to this game. That's free marketing. Sure the arguments are peripheral to the game itself, that doesn't matter - Just Cause 2 has been registered.

As to the actual arguments: as long as the XBox is the lead platform for the bulk of PC games - Windows XP ain't going anywhere.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Interview
43. Re: Ubisoft DRM Interview Feb 22, 2010, 00:10 Umbragen

Ha, I have an EA game that will not run if I have an open connection to the internet. After the initial launch I have to disconnect the network or the game's DRM causes GPFs. I should find a new hobby, this has gotten beyond a joke.  

News Comments > EVE Online Tyrannis Announced
6. Re: EVE Online Tyrannis Announced Feb 20, 2010, 18:36 Umbragen

It's amazing to me that people still pay CCP for this POS.

I'm not amazed that people that have played this game for years are still doing so. The have every incentive to keep playing. The game is structured, not only to accommodate them, but to tip the balance heavily in their favor. What amazes me is that they are still picking up new customers, even though it will take years (literally) for them to really get in the game. I guess some people don't mind being cannon fodder.

News Comments > BioWare: The Old Republic is KOTOR 3-8
22. Re: BioWare: The Old Republic is KOTOR 3-8 Feb 17, 2010, 00:23 Umbragen

If anything, this bodes well for TOR, if they do indeed have half a dozen full games worth of storyline. I'm not sure why everyone is so hot for another KoTOR anyway, it's one of the most overrated games around. Anyone that thinks the re-rehashed story, empty little zones and cookie cutter characters is some of Bioware's best work, well, they've never played Baldur's Gate 2. (Except HK-47, he's the one high point in the game.) In lean times, a solid but uninspired game like KoTOR can come away as the 'Game of the Year'. But it's more a testament to how bad the general landscape is rather than a celebration of Bioware's brilliance. I'm about as interested in another KoTOR as I am another Jade Empire.  

News Comments > Chris Taylor's Kings and Castles Announced
20. Re: Chris Taylor's Kings and Castles Announced Feb 15, 2010, 16:14 Umbragen

So the title is "Chris Taylor's Kings and Castles"? Really? Does having his name in the there somehow make the game more recognizable? Do they think that Space Siege would have sold better if it had been titled Chris Taylor's Space Siege? Hey, chew on this: "Richard Garriott's Tabula Rasa".  

News Comments > No PC Alan Wake
7. Re: No PC Alan Wake Feb 12, 2010, 10:32 Umbragen

Hey! Maybe Remedy/Microsoft can retool the game to showcase Natal - since the whole 'use Alan Wake to pimp Vista/DX10' sorta fell through.  

News Comments > Another Alpha Protocol Delay
20. Re: Another Alpha Protocol Delay Feb 7, 2010, 11:17 Umbragen

How can Obsidian even pretend to be shipping New Vegas a few months after Alpha Protocol is released? Unless they've just dumped the mess off on SEGA, leaving it up them to fix and they've been working on Fallout.

Whatever, this holiday season has left me with at least a 6 month backlog of games to play - I wouldn't be interested in this game till then anyway.

News Comments > Virtual Egg Hatches Almost $70K
6. Re: Virtual Egg Hatches Almost $70K Feb 5, 2010, 16:36 Umbragen

I've never heard of this game. $70,000 for a virtual item? It's obvious I'm not in their target demographic.

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2010, 16:36.

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas in Fall
32. Re: Fallout: New Vegas This Fall Feb 4, 2010, 19:22 Umbragen

@29, Lotsa words there, but it's still the publishers decision when to ship a game.  

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas in Fall
16. Re: Fallout: New Vegas This Fall Feb 4, 2010, 13:29 Umbragen

Alpha Protocol will have allot to do with my expectations for New Vegas. Regardless though, I don't expect to see it finished for at least another year (I hope not anyway, Obsidian doesn't seem to function well with too many constraints.)

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2010, 13:34.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jan 23, 2010, 12:46 Umbragen

Linux on the desktop - a joke that only improves with each retelling.  

News Comments > No Half-Life in 2010?
21. Re: No Half-Life in 2010? Jan 19, 2010, 13:21 Umbragen

I think I'm about done with Valve games. I buy stuff on Steam - whens it's on sale for like 5-10 bucks - that's about it. I'm not interested in anymore of their zombie crap.  

News Comments > Updated Dark Void Demo, New Diary [Updated]
8. Re: Updated Dark Void Demo, New Diary [Updated] Jan 16, 2010, 17:37 Umbragen

The controls are terrible. I guess I'll have to break down and get a gamepad. Anyone know if that new Razor will work on a PC and if so when it will be available?  

News Comments > EA CEO on the Hot Seat?
14. Re: EA CEO on the Hot Seat? Jan 13, 2010, 23:18 Umbragen

...the stockholders have every right to complain.

I didn't say otherwise, indeed, if shortsighted shareholders think going back to selling the annual rehash of Madden or Putting with Tiger Woods is the way to go, I'm all for it. Like I said, for the first time in a decade, EA has titles I'm buying. If they want to go back to shoveling crapware it will only save me money.

This comment was edited on Jan 13, 2010, 23:19.

News Comments > EA CEO on the Hot Seat?
9. Re: EA CEO on the Hot Seat? Jan 13, 2010, 14:12 Umbragen

It figures - a new CEO tries to fix some of what is so very wrong with EA and the shareholders revolt. Obviously, EA should go back to the same draconian practices that made them the most hated publisher in the business, producing games I wouldn't even steal. Yeah, let's go back to that model, it will save me quite a bit of money.  

News Comments > Age of Conan Character Deletions
19. Re: Age of Conan Character Deletions Jan 12, 2010, 00:18 Umbragen

Go ahead and delete them, they're likely taking up names that could be put to better use. It's not like they are deleting accomplished characters - EA/Origin did a purge of all inactive characters once - wiped out all my maxed tunes. Needless to say I've never been back since. If they hadn't done it, they would have gotten at least a few bucks, just for the sake of nostalgia.

This comment was edited on Jan 12, 2010, 00:21.

News Comments > Cliffski: Devs Should Eat Their Own Dog Food
7. Re: Cliffski: Devs Should Eat Their Own Dog Food Jan 7, 2010, 03:07 Umbragen

I think 'Devs' should finish more than four games before they get to wear the title.

Edit: I wasn't clear. By finish four games I meant 'play to completion'. This is in reference to a post Cliffski made about the length of games and how he'd only finished four games in his entire life.

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2010, 11:06.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Update Mod
10. Re: Half-Life 2 Update Mod Jan 7, 2010, 02:18 Umbragen

Amazing Reflecting Concrete Land!  

News Comments > On Star Trek Online's Klingons
6. Re: On Star Trek Online's Klingons Dec 18, 2009, 11:51 Umbragen

Laugh

Roddenberry, his corpse defiled.

This comment was edited on Dec 18, 2009, 11:51.

News Comments > The Ultima 6 Project Beta
14. Re: The Ultima 6 Project Beta Dec 16, 2009, 17:53 Umbragen

Do some people throw their old games away? I still have Dungeon Siege. In fact, I still have Ultima 6 - the original boxed version with the cloth map and 'Orb of the Moons'. It was one of the first games I ever bought.  

424 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo