Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for brian

Real Name brian   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wallace321
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 23, 2008, 14:56
Total Comments 189 (Novice)
User ID 48560

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > Crytek: PC Sales to Piracy Ratio 1:15 or 1:20
98. Re: No subject Jun 28, 2008, 07:03 wallace321

What's all this business with "rights"? Nobody thinks they have a right to download games for free. Everybody knows it is illegal. I find it odd that people always bring up the issue of rights when they are clearly irrelevant to the issue of piracy.

Actually, I think "rights" is a very VERY big concern for legit PC gamers as we're the ones feeling the wrath of draconian DRM. Never mind being able to "backup" a disc. Now, as we all know, you're limited in the number of times you can install the game!

In the past, the EULA may have told you that you can't install a game on more than one computer. Everybody did it anyway, I know I have 3 or 4 computers lying around that I will occassionaly game on and I sure as hell don't buy a different copy for each computer if I'm the only one that plays it. Seems pretty harmless, but I apparently never had the "right" to do it despite it not hurting anybody. I have no idea why there would be such a restrion. You always needed the original "uncopyable" disc in the drive, right? So it's not like you and your buddies could all play the same copy. It's just that only until recently has there actually been any way to PREVENT you from doing these harmless things, activation.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Crytek: PC Sales to Piracy Ratio 1:15 or 1:20
65. short term games Jun 28, 2008, 00:00 wallace321

Nobody seems to like to discuss solutions other than copy protection or 'make a game worth buying' so can i just add one word to this PC piracy debate that nobody seems to ever bring up? "Rental" It seems to be working just fine for movies and console games. The PC doesn't have such an option and piracy is a huge issue. Is there a connection?

Why is it that chicken little game industry types assume the worst and say that each download is a lost sale? Maybe a majority of these are people who would NEVER have bought the game in the first place, but would have a least rented it if that were an option? Maybe some people are tired of the "clutter" of having a box and a manual and a disc of a game they played for 5 - 10 hours about 12 years ago and would (if they could) pay for a more short term deal? How many movie reviews have you seen that included the summary "worth a rental"?

This isn't about playing a demo either. With a rental it's about being able to play as much of the game as you can (maybe even the whole game over the course of a single or even multiple rentals) in a limited amount of time and then moving on to something else for much less than the price of their own personal copy!

And honestly, it's like a pirated copy can NEVER be striken from the record even if a person who pirated the game eventually bought it when it was less expensive. Are there estimates on how many people who download a pirated copy on day 1 eventually buy the game? Or is that a number that people arguing against piracy don't care about. One of my major annoyances at the game industry is the rampant dishonesty that goes on about such issues.

Has the PC games industry brought about this rampant piracy on itself with activation and cd-key based copy protection schemes that prevent borrowing and renting games? I'm not condoning piracy. If your only option is buy it, then you should buy it. It's not as if there is any other choice. oh wait, there is. The industry just doesn't like that choice and seems more willing to cry about poor sales and punish legitmate customers with copy protection than it is to provide an alternative to buying a game forever. Except gametap...

News Comments > Spore Creature Creator Released
67. Re: No subject Jun 23, 2008, 16:55 wallace321

For those wondering, the full version of spore MUST come with a creature creator as the $10 one must be uninstalled before you can install spore, so says the manual for CC.

News Comments > Battlefield 2 Patch & Map Announcement Tomorrow
26. Re: What's the point? Jun 23, 2008, 04:41 wallace321

One of the greatest online games ever made has been brought down to its knees by rampant hackers.

they're cheaters. calling them hackers gives them too much credit. 99.999% of the little bastards just download the utility off of some website.

Whatever happened to banning CD-Keys? Was anybody else but me shocked after hearing infinity ward crying about how many people are playing CoD4 multiplayer with illigit keys? If they can't ban illigit keys, what the hell is the point of us having to put up with unique CD-Keys written in impossible to read typesets (is that a G or a 6?? a 0 or an o? an l or a 1?) for all these years? I've always known cd-keys in singleplayer games to be pointless without activation but COME ON! Multiplayer games MUST talk to a server that can validate the key!

News Comments > Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword Patch
11. Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 18:03 wallace321

The Steam update surprised the hell out of me too. For one, it was flawless, and it was quick. I didn't even know a patch was coming out.

True that. Mine was the same. I wish Company of Heroes updated that quickly. With the steam version you have to almost redownload the whole game! What gives? Yay for Firaxis!

News Comments > Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword Patch
7. Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 17:03 wallace321

I would like to see a similar game with less micromanagement in which a multiplayer game can be played in about an hour.

Give Rise of Nations a try. It's basically Civ as an RTS. Metacritic score of 89 and you can get it for $10 these days with its expansion pack. It's a blast in multiplayer too.

I don't know how you can maintain the complexity intracy of a Civ caliber game without a certain amount of micromanagement. I fear Deus Ex 2 syndrome....

News Comments > Mass Effect DRM Issues?
17. Re: No subject Jun 19, 2008, 01:44 wallace321

I would rather need the disc in the drive than be required to activate - Hear that EA? Especially if your're going to limit the # of installs. 12 GB of disc space permenantly allocated for mass effect? I'm going to use the crack so I don't waste any of my precious $15 installations!

They might as well only charge $15 and allow only a single install. What do you think about that? DIVX went over really well didn't it? That's basically what we have here.
This comment was edited on Jun 19, 01:47.

News Comments > TF2 Pyro Achievements and Unlockables Detailed
13. Re: thats better! Jun 18, 2008, 13:28 wallace321

can i just say for the record that people that farm achievements are lame? maybe they just need a new name? instead of achievements, lets call them "feats of strength"! (happy festivus)

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Pyro Update This Week, Free Weekend
11. Re: Wont be playing this week Jun 17, 2008, 14:14 wallace321

with every server full of Pyro's it wont exactly be 'fun'

go heavy - you can mow them all down before they even get close to you : )

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Pyro Update This Week, Free Weekend
8. Pyro = Favorite Class Jun 16, 2008, 18:51 wallace321

hot diggity daffodil!!

News Comments > DNF Trailer (Or Lack Thereof) Follow-up
92. Re: ... Jun 9, 2008, 12:59 wallace321

Are you really saying that Duke and Crysis are THAT different? I think you must be joking. An SUV and a sports car? Apples and Oranges? I have to think you must mean that they LOOK totally different, right? I tried to use the Kung-fu movie metaphore but nobody even commented on it. I think it perfectly sums up the similarties.

I'm saying that they are so similar (to use your car analogy)that Duke Nukem would be a Blue 1996 Ferrari and Crysis a Red 2007 Ferrari. To say that they're like an SUV and a Ferrari is insane. That would be like suggesting that I'm comparing a Flight Simulator with a WWII first person shooter.

EVERY first person shooter (that isn't in WWII) has aliens, powered suits, and healthpacks. You can't even admit that the abilities of the suit in crysis give REMARKABLY similar abilities to the "powerups" in duke nukem? The setting? The freeze weapons? You seriously think they're NOTHING like each other?

To me, they're both fun games; they just happen to be very VERY similar. And yet, Duke Nukem 3d is hailed as the pixilated second coming of christ and Crysis gets a ton of crap for doing the same thing, in a purly action movie style.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: game over for the PC? Jun 7, 2008, 00:45 wallace321

I was going to say the exact same things Creston! But my post was getting a bit long. You summed it up quite nicely!

This really IS a fantastic time to get a powerful PC that will last a LONG time! A nice quadcore now that only costs $250 is only going to be MORE utlizied as developers write software that takes advantage of multi-core systems. Just make sure it's clocked reasonably fast as current gen games will only utilize 2 cores anyway. (got my quadcore with a free copy of UT3!)

The video card really IS the only piece of hardware you're going to need to be replacing even that should only be every 18 - 24 months. And if you don't have the budget for it at the time? You don't have a gun to your head to upgrade it, just turn back some of the effects or drop the res down a notch on the lastest games. There's no shame in running 1024 x 768! Waiting a little longer will only get you a better card for the same money anyway!

Get yourself a nice motherboard and if you can't budget yourself $300 for a quad core processor right now, get a $100 dual core clocked 2.4 ghz or higher and get the 3.6 ghz quad core a year or two from now when they're only $200. You don't need the latest $1,000 Intel Core 2 Extreme! That's crazy talk! A nice celeron will get you going for $60!

I don't think getting a gaming PC going is very much more expensive than getting a PS3.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: game over for the PC? Jun 6, 2008, 21:24 wallace321

What kind of upgrades were you doing? A $200 upgrade a year in hardware (plus games of course) can more than keep you in the game - for any hobby, that's not very unreasonable.

I'm sure you're refering to Crysis, but video cards are not to actually be BOUGHT when they're $600 hahaha! You're supposed to wait until they're $250 or buy last years model. If the latest game runs a little choppy, turn the complex shadowing off.

Crysis really did give the PC such a bad reputation, not just themselves. I have a $250 processor, $40 worth of memory, and a $250 videocard and I can run Crysis with all the settings on high. I expect that videocard to last 2 years, the processor to last 4-6 years, and the memory to probably last the lifetime of the motherboard.

News Comments > Steam Cloud Plans
64. Re: ... Jun 5, 2008, 15:33 wallace321

It's a GREAT idea for people that travel, if it's implemented correctly. I would love to be able to play lego star wars on my laptop, and then pickup from the exact same spot on my home computer without having to mess around shuffling savegame files from computer to computer.

90. Re: ... Jun 5, 2008, 13:04 wallace321

Duke3D and Crysis are nothing alike, much in the same way that Quake 4 and Half-Life 2 are nothing alike. Please put down the crackpipe

These are all taken from the game's respective wiki articles:

Murderous aliens have landed in futuristic Los Angeles the tropical south pacific

The game features a wide range of monsters, some of which are aliens, others mutated humans are koreans

This is perhaps the most anticipated and impressive weapon in Crysisduke nukem 3d. The Molecular Arrestor freeze gun will fire a beam freezing almost any object. The frozen object can then fired upon and shattered.

Duke Nukem 3DCrysis is set "sometime in the early 21st century"

These locations are also filled with objects that the player can interact with (including light switches, toilets, urinals, pool tables, arcade games, closed-circuit cameras, and strippers).

Duke Nukem 3D's Crysis's graphic engine was an evolutionary step forward from the Doom FarCry engine

Aside from weapons, Nukem's Crysis's inventory also includes a series of items that can be picked up during play. A portable medkit allows players to heal themselves whenever they choose to. Steroids A Nanotech supersuit speed up player movement making transit through hostile territory easier. Nightvision gogglesincluded in your nanotech supersuit allow players to see enemies in the dark. The "HoloDuke"nanotech supersuit includes a cloaking device projects a hologram of Duke that can be used to distract enemies. A Protective boots nanotech supersuit allows the player to cross dangerously hot or toxic terrain. Where progress requires more aquatic legwork, a n aqua-lung (called scuba gear) nanotech supersuit allows the player to take longer trips away from air. Perhaps most impressively, Duke's trademark jetpack a jet allows the player to range fully in 3D, often to reach hidden weapons caches or extra health.

News Comments > Crysis: No More Patches, Linux Server on Hold
139. Re: No subject Jun 5, 2008, 12:27 wallace321

In games that require Windows Live? I don't think so?

A game may use live as its matchmaking service but it still doesn't require a gold subscription to play online. I think GFW Live is just a bonus to people who already have 360s with Gold Live accounts. And possibly a way to sell 360s.

And the widescreen support can be taken with a huge grain of salt. See Bioshock's horribly inept implementation of widescreen.

You're right about Bioshock, the widescreen support was a hackjob. But I thought that was one of the very first GFW titles. I don't think that's very common at all. At least, it's never happened in any other GFW branded game I have. At least they fixed it in an official patch. Widescreen is common enough these days even in NON GFW games. I'd personally take gamepad support with a grain of salt. I find it REALLY hard to believe SupCom supports a gamepad! Though they did release supcom for the 360. I'm all for options I'll never use if SOMEONE out there does. Afterall, I play Crysis with a 360 gamepad on my mediacenter because I have a lousy wireless mouse & keyboard. But I have a feeling 90% of people who played Crysis did so with an m&k.

It's 27 ($54) in the UK, which is simply too much. I paid 20 for Unreal Tournament 3 on release and it's now dropped to 15. EA messed up big-time with Crysis and the current high price is simply an insult.

I'm with you on that one, especially when there's allegedly such a bad piracy problem with that particular game. With so many people stealing the game, you'd think they would give a break to the people who COULD get it for free (like everybody else apparently...), but want to pay for it.

But then again, you guys always pay more than us : ) $50 was the price here when it came out (for the non-special edition) so that would be 25 AT RELEASE - I HAVE to imagine that would be very close to coming down by now just to make room for NEW releases.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Bus Driver
35. Re: No subject Jun 4, 2008, 20:16 wallace321

The right soundtrack and the ability to do the missions WRONG (ie, the mission doesn't end when you run someone over and the police chase you) and you've practically got GTA IV on the PC.

News Comments > Crysis: No More Patches, Linux Server on Hold
136. Re: No subject Jun 4, 2008, 13:46 wallace321

Really? I have to pay 50 bucks a year now to be able to play multiplayer?

I think it needs to be said that you don't even get THAT for $50 a year. $50 a year lets you play with or against X-box owners (in the 3 games that support it) and, ummmm, better matchmaking? You can still play multiplayer for free.

The box looks nice and so it unifies the PC as a platform and it means that it supports widescreen and the 360 gamepad. (though Supreme Commander is a GFW game, does IT support a gamepad??) I wish it meant it had the same achievements the 360 version has, but it doesn't. But it's been pretty much a load of empty promises.

Indeed, but the picture I was presenting was one in which those 5 quality titles are not in the genre or style that a typical gamer would want to play. e.g. what if those 5 games were all MMO games like WoW? Would you be happy with that?

True that. I would rather be able to choose from all 100 "mediocre" games and determine for myself which ones, while not be worth a full $50, might be worth a look at $20 to $30. Would Crysis have gotten as much crap as it did if it only cost $30? (hint: probably. but now it does only cost $30) I don't even think i could name 5 flawless games, which is what I feel some people here demand before they'll buy a game.

I think if I found a copy of Whirlwind Over Vietnam for $15 I would totally give that a chance despite the pretty bad reviews it got. The one from PC Gamer that reads, "Resist, chopper fans. You'll thank us later. [Aug 2007, .63]" is especially worrying as they warn even the game's target demographic, not just your average PC gamer. http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/whirlwindovervietnam?q=whirlwind I'm a big chopper fan but I can risk $15 for a chance at a fun game that I'm into.
This comment was edited on Jun 4, 14:06.

News Comments > Carmack on Crysis
35. Re: No subject Jun 4, 2008, 12:26 wallace321

Carmack's engines paved the way for Team Fortress (the quake mod) and Half-Life, and then, indirectly, Half Life 2 and Team Fortress 2. I'd say he's been more than relevant in the last 10 years.

Having said that, Cryengine 1 led to nothing but FarCry spinoffs but at least Cryengine 2 (according to Wikipedia) is being used in a handful of games currently in development. Still, CryTek doesn't hold a candle to Carmack's influence on the industry. CryTek doesn't even come close to Unreal engine in terms of industry influence.

I think Carmack picked Crysis strictly because it's got the prettiest engine on the market and it didn't sell very well despite it, NOT because he thinks it's as good looking as PC games can get (because it isn't) or because he thought it had revolutionary gameplay (because it didn't).

Crysis was PC Gaming's money shot and it choked; probably because of reputation it had for system requirments. Hell, somone on THESE forums thought it required Vista! That was probably at least partly because of the Games for Windows debacle, but that's another issue.

86. RE:AHAHAHAHA(etc, etc...) Jun 4, 2008, 11:42 wallace321

What I actually IMPLIED was that they were more or less the same style game except that Duke had decent comedy/action movie elements and Crysis had decent action movie elements. Neither had characters I gave a rat's ass about. I NEVER said Crysis was better but you won't even admit Duke had its faults! Faults I tried to point out and YOU ignored. You didn't get the impression that I liked Duke3d from the references I used? Did you even play duke?

What I actually SAID was Duke is a Jackie Chan movie and Crysis is a Bruce Lee movie. Maybe you're a kung-fu movie snob too, but the idea was that Jackie Chan makes GOOFY action and Bruce Lee makes SERIOUS action. NEITHER are going to win any Oscars but they are different types of FUN. Different takes on the same concept. Understand? (I happen to enjoy Jackie Chan movies more and, oddly enough, I happen to remember liking Duke3d more than I like Crysis)

You seem to have a lot of strong non(?) homosexual feelings for Duke. Hey, I liked Duke Nukem too. It was a great game in its time. It had its faults, but it was great. Crysis? meh. It's very pretty and the setting allows for some of those pretty graphics to show through. Straight action is all too common in games while the humor that duke brought to the table was (and still is) pretty unique. So I ask you again, where does the HATE for Crysis come from? Did Crysis bang your mom? It's an "Okay to Good" action game that happens to look better than anything else on the market, PC or console.

Is there anything I said that we don't agree on in any of that?

And there's that game snobbery again. If you think Crysis is a "good" game then go buy a console? You sir are a total snob.

189 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo