Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for finger

Real Name finger   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname finga
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 22, 2008, 01:40
Total Comments 302 (Amateur)
User ID 48490

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Mechromancer DLC Pricing
10. Re: Mechromancer DLC Pricing Sep 11, 2012, 13:45 finga

You know, it's not a problem on PC, but Gearbox might have a tough time on Xbox 360 with this DLC. As you probably know, Microsoft doesn't allow the user to download DLC content they don't own, even if it's content that's visual-only - to properly display players that DO own it. Additionally, title updates are not allowed to add significant amounts of game data. So what happens when a player using the Mechromancer joins the game of someone who doesn't own the DLC?

Are they going to have to separate players that do own DLC from those who do not? What happens when you want to join your friends and they don't have it? Sorry sir, they need to buy a thing just so they can properly see a couple of models (Gaige and Deathtrap) and skins?

Unless the Mechromancer textures and models are already on the disc (and it's the gameplay tweaking and skill point adjustments they've been working on the last few weeks)... but people will still likely complain about on-disc DLC, even if there's just no other real way to do it.

I think the textures and models are likely already included in the game files. And people who don't understand game development will freak out.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month
55. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 21:14 finga

RailWizard wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 17:25:
..and yet they arrogantly took on the job. They probably knew it was going to be a stinker also, but that did not stop them from asking a FULL Triple 'A' price for it either despite only having worked for a year on it. Of course they DLC'd the shit out of that game too.

Yes I know it's pretty cheap now, that is the price it should've been to begin with.
I can't disagree with you on that. 2K and Gearbox had to know that the game was a piece of shit, and that Gearbox only basically made it a piece of shit that could at least be played from beginning to end. It should have gone straight into the bargain bin, and not been priced as if it was just another big-budget release.

Of course, Activision keeps doing this too, by releasing perfectly decent games that simply cost too much money. Amazing Spider-Man was great, but for sixty bucks? Fuck that.

54. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 21:06 finga

Bhruic wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 17:58:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 11:10:
What'd be the point of pre-ordering the game if it were included? Exactly, there'd be none.

And there shouldn't be. The whole concept of "pre-order" came about during the physical copies days. You pre-ordered a game to ensure that there'd be a copy waiting for you on release day, because if you didn't, there was a decent chance they'd be sold out.

With digital sales - and therefore "unlimited" copies - that reason no longer exists. At best, you can do a preload. But apparently developers and/or publishers fell in love with them so much that they wanted to keep them going, so now they offer extras to try and entice people into pre-orders. I assume it makes business sense, as otherwise it's pretty dumb, but in a lot of ways they could just get rid of it altogether.
Pre-orders are still important, even in the digital days. It allows publishers to more accurately gauge interest in a game, which then leads into adjustments in a game's marketing, advertising (yes, those two are different), and any cross-promotions they want to do with retailers and other parties (like, for example, Borderlands 2 coming for free with Nvidia 600-series cards). They can also decide the size and scope of any special editions they want to do.

Plus, for most publishers, most sales are still at retail. Publishers still want to estimate many copies they *should* print up, and while pressing a plastic disc, one-page manual and case is cheap on its own, both Sony and Microsoft have exclusive rights to press the discs for their respective consoles (security stuff for anti-piracy and the like). I believe both companies take their license vig on even an unsold copy that's printed.

Of course none of that helps the gamer understand preorder bullshit, but most publishers aren't exactly swimming in cash right now. Most have posted year-over-year losses nearly every quarter for the last two years, so yeah, they're going to impose things like pre-order bonuses on people. My hope is just that we back off of the thing where each retailer has its own unique weapon or armor. Cosmetic stuff is fine, but weapons, armor, and vehicles means that no matter what copy you're buying, pre-order or not, you can't actually get the full game legitimately.

Either way, I'm not trying to apologize for publishers, because even the best ones still make a lot of bad decisions and if they made fewer of those, they may not have to do pre-order bullshit. But that's just the reality we're in right now.

53. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 21:02 finga

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 20:21:
I missed the GMG pre-order sales. I would have picked it up at $40 or less. Guess I'll wait for another sale.
It's back for $37.50 with a coupon code. You should, like, read this site I've heard of called Blue's News more often!

Fine, here's a link.

52. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 21:00 finga

RailWizard wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 19:42:

aka driving a franchise into the ground. Thx for playing! The Duke is dead.
If you thought the only reason they bought DNF was to finish making DNF and then call it day, then you just don't really know how the game industry works. At all.

37. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 15:46 finga

RailWizard wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 14:14:
Also remember that 'gearbox' was the punchline to the longest running internet joke ever called 'DNF' which everyone seems to have forgiven them for.
Mostly because they had a good enough pedigree of making entertaining games before that. Anyone who expected that thirteen-year-clusterfuck of a mess to come out squeaky clean and amazing after only a year in Gearbox's hands was just delusional.

Gearbox makes good games, not miracles, even if Randy Pitchford seems to disagree on that last point.

35. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 15:42 finga

fujiJuice wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 11:50:
Please be so kind as to link me the articles/videos which give me an idea of what dlcs are included in the season pass.
Oh. You meant post-release DLCs. I thought you were talking about the game itself. Problem with them announcing them now is that people start thinking that the DLC is already complete and that it's being purposefully withheld for money-grabbing purposes. I don't blame them for keeping their mouth shut, but they probably should have also stayed quiet on the season pass until after release.

I also do think that anyone who buys the season pass but didn't get the Mechromancer as a pre-order bonus should just be given that as well, but I guess that's not going to happen.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Sep 4, 2012, 10:06 finga

Bring back dynamic difficulty and put that in as an option. Very few games make a point of doing it (although some games do it secretly and don't tell you), but those who have made it a specific feature wind up making it a pretty cool system.

Sin Episodes had it, and it really made it interesting because the client remained aware of what happened in your last quicksaves/quickloads, so you could quicksave-whore it and the game would start ramping up the difficulty if you used it to great success. (And it'd drop it back down if it noticed you were quickloading over and over without making any progress.)

News Comments > More on Valve's Hardware Plans
1. Re: More on Valve's Hardware Plans Sep 4, 2012, 10:04 finga

Maybe instead of making their own PC-type hardware, they intend on playing with input devices? That Phantom lapboard thing never really panned out; maybe Valve can make headway merging "comfy couch" gaming with PC gaming in a way that's more convenient than current hacked-together bullshit people do in their living rooms.  

5. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 10:02 finga

fujiJuice wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 09:45:
Already telling people what isn't included instead of what is, not a good way to get buyers.
Welcome to, like, six years ago. That's how AAA games are sold now.

And if you have read stuff and watched videos, you'll get a pretty damn good idea of what's included.

4. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 10:01 finga

Verno wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 09:47:
Why wouldn't the season pass include the Mechromancer? That seems really silly and arbitrary.
That's just what they chose to reward preorders.

Anyone know if there's gonna be the usual "online pass" bullshit with new copies? Not that it matters on PC where I'll be playing, but I'd love to see at least a few developers push back against that policy.

News Comments > Playable Female Characters in Aliens: Colonial Marines
46. Re: Playable Female Characters in Aliens: Colonial Marines Sep 4, 2012, 08:19 finga

Hump wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 22:01:
How about addressing the mincing, light-in-the-loafers Aliens and THEN worry about custom gender roles there fellas?
Custom gender roles?

There are a maximum of two known genders in all animal species the scientific world knows of. Female is not a "custom" gender.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Footage
20. Re: Borderlands 2 Footage Sep 2, 2012, 00:50 finga

jimnms wrote on Sep 1, 2012, 22:23:
DangerDog wrote on Sep 1, 2012, 18:51:
there's a 25% off code that activates tomorrow on green man gaming, click the "blog" link on their site for the code.

Awesome, I'm tempted to get it. I was thinking of waiting since I have too much shit to play, and I my two friends that I used to play coop with are no longer able to play. I picked up Borderlands GOTY for $7.50 on a Steam sale about a year after release. I bought it for me and the two friends that I played coop with. They thought it looked like crap and didn't want to get it when it was new, then it turned out to be some fun shit. We played it every night for about a month.

Edit: Ok, I just finished the video, and all the talk about DLC at the end is kind of putting me off. I think I'd rather wait and get the complete game and play it then rather than a piece at a time.
Understandable, but BL2 is bigger than BL1, and it lasted far longer than most FPS games do.

6. Re: Borderlands 2 Footage Sep 1, 2012, 17:23 finga

Fion wrote on Sep 1, 2012, 14:54:
Gameplay looks good. I do hope the PC version has FoV options.
It does.

5. Re: Borderlands 2 Footage Sep 1, 2012, 17:22 finga

PHJF wrote on Sep 1, 2012, 17:02:
Skill trees look good (kept pausing and reading as they hopped around).

How do you figure that? Each "class" still has one skill and a bunch of passive stat boosts. I see the siren has a skill that replaces her melee with a sort of grenade, at least...
Grenade. That's a skill.

Melee. That's a skill.

Four equipped weapons. That's four right there.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success
64. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 19:45 finga

FloorPie wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 18:40:
Hmm, I'm sure the shutdown of their online sales has nothing to do with the credit card charge problems. Back in July I had one credit card denied completely (and an alert notice emailed to me from my card co. along with a locked out card/account access) and another card went through but then called me a day later to confirm the purchase wasn't "suspicious activity". The first company told they'd been having problems with "this company" aka ncsoft and stolen cards.
They are not the first company to do this, actually. World of Warcraft was really hard to find in stores for a good couple of months shortly after it was released, because servers were overloaded, it took ten seconds just to loot a monster, and everyone was lagging, so Blizzard just didn't ship out more retail copies for a couple of months. So it's certainly not inconceivable.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Transformers: Fall of Cybertron
17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Aug 21, 2012, 17:29 finga

Good thing about no coop is that they don't have to design a whole level around a generic character, so now each level feels really unique and makes use of each Transformer's special abilities. Not sure it was a worthwhile tradeoff, but it wasn't like they just dropped it for absolutely NO good reason.

The PC version though is ridiculous. One setting for detail (low/med/high/extreme) and no key configuration at all. You can hook up a gamepad, and strangely, there's a few key config *presets* you can pick from, but of course, if you're configuring keys, presets aren't much help. High Moon has no idea what is important in a PC port, I guess.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Borderlands 2
84. Re: Gone Gold - Borderlands 2 Aug 20, 2012, 23:26 finga

what the hell is wrong with you people  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Screenshots
42. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Screenshots Aug 20, 2012, 23:22 finga

PHJF wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 22:40:
If they made a GTA in the Max Payne 3 engine it would literally be a 150GB game.
They already did. It was called Grand Theft Auto IV.

Confused? Max Payne 3 used the Rage engine, which GTAIV also used. (Rage, by the way, is not to be confused with id Software's Rage or id Tech 5 in any way. And I believe Rockstar named that engine before id's game was announced.)

As far as why the game is so huge, they just rendered every single texture in multiple resolutions, which nets the best results while still being compatible with older machines. It might have been a better idea to create an optional high-res texture pack like United Front just did with Sleeping Dogs, but if gamers keep giving them shit for having a 35GB game, future developers will be discouraged from putting some proper solid texture quality in their games. So let's not do that.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Weapons Videos
8. Re: Borderlands 2 Weapons Videos Aug 17, 2012, 16:30 finga

Creston wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 13:25:
I do hope the bazillion guns is a little more streamlined this time around. By that I mean that I hope they will drop a little more consistently. The first time I played, I didn't find ANYTHING decent until level 13 or so, and I was just really struggling to kill even the lowliest bandit or skragg. Going up against a group of skraggs was a fucking nightmare. I came this close to uninstalling the whole damn thing.
This right here is the issue with randomized loot systems - sometimes you win big, sometimes you don't. While I do think that in the long run, almost full randomization is the right choice, what Gearbox can do in the first few hours of the game to fix this is to have "scripted" weapon drops a little more often (like the Lady Finger, the Clipper, or the, uh, purple SMG from Bone Head, the bandit with the Digistruct module) but drop enough of them for all, or at least most players to use... and just often enough that players in co-op are already trading guns, test-firing them to see how they shoot, and making tough choices right at the beginning.

It'd be helpful, too, since you can script not only a wide range of weapons - say, a rocket launcher at low level, which was not really accessible in BL1 - but a wider range of manufacturers so that players start building that connection to their favorite manufacturer. Win-win in my mind.

302 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo