Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for finger

Real Name finger   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname finga
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 22, 2008, 01:40
Total Comments 302 (Amateur)
User ID 48490

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg
70. Re: Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg Dec 23, 2012, 03:14 finga

Creston wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 01:16:
18-24 months
You don't need to exaggerate like this in order to make your point.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Alternate Box Art Vote
14. Re: BioShock Infinite Alternate Box Art Vote Dec 13, 2012, 07:49 finga

Cutter wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 00:10:
Shut up, Levine! We're not frat boys!
There aren't enough of you and me to make a game with an eight-figure budget profitable. Period. The sooner that hardcore gamers get this through their thick skulls, the more they can direct their *CONSTRUCTIVE* criticism towards things that actually matter.

They have to appeal to the fratboys, too. The box art is a pretty small concession to make, assuming that's the only one. (Which it probably won't be.)

News Comments > Humble THQ Bundle Grows
18. Re: Humble THQ Bundle Grows Dec 7, 2012, 02:10 finga

Axis wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 00:07:
They absolutely would have been saved, I'm sure of it. They were too late as I mentioned, new games were meh at best, stigma attached.
The games you're talking about, like the Dawn of War games were out and done a while before they ever really got into that much trouble. Also, you're talking from a purely PC-oriented perspective when a majority of THQ's business was on consoles, and they made many mistakes there that you're completely ignoring.

Supreme Commander wasn't GFWL and the community for that was sunk by poor sales and poor post-release support from THQ, who refused to even run QA on the final patch that Gas Powered Games actually made, so that patch had to get leaked as an unofficial one. (The game's back up and running on a free lobby called FAForever.) The Red Faction games' multiplayer was based on client hosting, and a full dedicated server model would have taken more time and money to make, since GFWL actually handles a lot of the multiplayer code and connectivity. They'd have to have rolled their own. Plus, I don't know if you played Armageddon, but it compromised a lot of the things that made Red Faction fun. No amount of Steamworks fixes Badgame Syndrome.

Still, again, you're talking ONLY about their PC business, not their mobile business or console business. Mistakes there did just as much, if not more, to sink them. UFC, WWE, de Blob, MX vs ATV, UDraw, all of these licenses had rather expensive repeated boondoggles that cost THQ a lot more money than they made back, and the sales potential was larger on these than they ever would have gotten by nearly any small change to their PC library.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2012, 02:17.

News Comments > Humble THQ Bundle Grows
11. Re: Humble THQ Bundle Grows Dec 6, 2012, 23:55 finga

Axis wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 23:51:
GFWL was the real death sentence. Not exactly something you can put a finger on, but my finger sure feels it.

They went full Steamworks on a few games that had online play. Space Marine, Saints Row 2 & 3, and Homefront come to mind... still didn't really help them make anything into the super-blockbuster they needed to stay alive. Their games and marketing needed to be better, and while I hate GFWL as much as the next guy, avoiding those libraries wouldn't have saved the company.

News Comments > SOE on PlanetSide 2 in 2025
30. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 2, 2012, 03:35 finga

Cutter wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 20:55:
I'm not playing atm because any decent firefight is just too much for my system right now. Perhaps I'll jump back in just as a support role - vehicle gunner or something. I played CS hardcore with some serious clans for a lot of years so it's not my 'skillz' that I'm concerned with here.
Yeah, that's one of the challenges with playing Planetside 2. Unlike with BF3, you can't just jump on a low-playercount server if your PC isn't handling the load well enough. In this game, your PC kind of has to handle the game at its wildest, especially since you never know where and when a couple hundred dudes will show up to bolster numbers.

News Comments > Saturday Screenshots
2. Re: Saturday Screenshots Dec 1, 2012, 16:13 finga

The problem with this box art  

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Game Reviews Nov 18, 2012, 16:59 finga

dj LiTh wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 16:09:
I'm not getting whats so bad about the review.....he said it was 30$ instead of 25$ and load times were longer than they are on a faster computer?
And he complained about it being tough for new players, not realizing or noticing that there are servers made for new players. I haven't played NS2 so I've got no idea how obvious the game makes it that these servers exist.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Patched
12. Re: Borderlands 2 Patched Nov 14, 2012, 08:54 finga

Creston wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 00:26:
Ton of changes, and nothing to the biggest problem with the game which is that the loot it drops is fucking pathetic. It makes Diablo 3 look like Santa Claus on a charity spree by comparison.

Creston
Not even remotely my experience. Tons of great loot that makes the game a blast to play.

News Comments > Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2
24. Re: Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2 Nov 13, 2012, 00:01 finga

Beelzebud wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 22:34:
less pseudo-religious 'chosen one' stuff.
Which the Mass Effect series didn't do. Not even a little bit. Shepard had no prophecy, no special birthright, no magical powers above anyone else's.

News Comments > Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2
23. Re: Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2 Nov 12, 2012, 23:58 finga

Fion wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 23:26:
NKD wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 20:54:
No UE3? Thank god.

On topic: I did a double take on the ME4. Really? ME4? I guess I should never have doubted it. But I do wonder what exactly will it be about? How can you even call it Mass Effect since the entire mass effect station network exploded and half the characters are dead?

The "Mass Effect" as a pseudo-scientific term covered more than just the Mass Relays. They were a basis for a bunch of the game's sci-fi tech explanations; it covers shields, biotics, and more.

PvP only is possible, but does anyone think ME3 multiplayer was any good?
Yes. Even PC gamers. It's actually really good, and I found it to be better than most of these four-player cooperative survival modes out there, with the possible exception of the Left 4 Dead games. I got bored of it after a few weeks, but that's still far longer than most games' Firefight/Horde-type modes got out of me.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Oct 25, 2012, 22:40 finga

Cutter wrote on Oct 25, 2012, 20:50:
Most journalists - even the real professional ones - are only a slight step above vulture IMO. The games journalist has never been a real journalist, per se. Giving your opinion on a game is a long way off from Woodward and Bernstein blowing up Watergate on Nixon and pals.
Investigative journalists aren't the only journalists. They're the hardest-working ones putting the most on the line, but that doesn't mean everyone else - critics, reporters, and the like - gets excluded from the profession.

News Comments > 0x10c Multiplayer Footage
14. Re: 0x10c Multiplayer Footage Oct 25, 2012, 17:01 finga

I'm sure he realizes this game looks stupid as hell right now, but still, I see a problem: he's built something like a one-weapon Quake clone, which gets pretty damn far away from what he described when he announced the game. Where is all the discovering new planets? Programming your computer? Movement in space with your ship?

Plus, I'm not really sure what I'm seeing as far as innovation here; so far, he has less gameplay in this than QTest did. I just hope that he's only doing this a part of building his own game engine in C++ and at some point will start building the game he originally planned to make.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Hotline Miami
7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Hotline Miami Oct 24, 2012, 07:35 finga

PHJF wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 23:38:
Ugh
You misspelled "Fucking awesome".

News Comments > Loot Drop Drops Kickstarter
28. Re: Loot Drop Drops Kickstarter Oct 22, 2012, 17:32 finga

Beelzebud wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 16:15:
I think the big difference is that Double Fine can point to titles they've released in the last decade that people love. The same can't be said for Romero and crew.
Yep, Double Fine has a track record of staying together and making great games over the last ten-plus years. This team that Brathwaite, Hall, and Romero have built don't really have a proven track record of making good games together.

News Comments > Lorne Lanning on Micro-Publishing
21. Re: Lorne Lanning on Micro-Publishing Oct 3, 2012, 08:26 finga

Verno wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 14:15:
What does that have to do with agreeing to do console titles exclusively?
A lot. In the early-mid 2000s, publishing games independently on PC and making them profitable was very, very hard. I'm surprised you need this explained to you.

News Comments > Lorne Lanning on Micro-Publishing
16. Re: Lorne Lanning on Micro-Publishing Oct 2, 2012, 08:50 finga

Verno wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 08:40:

I think this guy is full of shit, he had no problem taking money to make his games console exclusive. I hear a lot of anger in that statement but no remorse about screwing over his fans and customers.
Take a look at the years where those last two Xbox-exclusive Oddworld games were originally released: 2001 and 2005. Indie publishing on PC was nearly impossible during those years, after the shareware model faded away and before Steam really hit it big.

You can't hold this guy's efforts a decade ago to today's standards. Well, I suppose nothing's actually stopping you from doing it... except common sense.

News Comments > Mark of the Ninja Confirmed for Steam: No GFWL
7. Re: Mark of the Ninja Confirmed for Steam: No GFWL Sep 24, 2012, 18:29 finga

Jerykk wrote on Sep 24, 2012, 12:32:
Wait, MS is publishing the PC version too? That's very odd. Alan Wake was published by MS on X360 but the PC version was not. If MS is publishing, I'm shocked it isn't a Windows 8 exclusive.
I bet they shopped that idea around to a few publishers and developers. And I'm betting those people/companies told them to fuck off. Well, they probably said it a bit nicer than that, but yeah.

Actually, after reading the story, I don't see any reason why Microsoft would be publishing the PC port. When you get accepted to put your game on Steam, you don't actually need a publisher, and would only get saddled with one if you had some previous agreement. So I doubt MS are actually publishing this, unless it's some kind of new company policy from MS that developers can skip XBLA six-month exclusivity (like Super Meat Boy, Braid, or Fez had) if they let MS take a cut of the profits from a PC port.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 DLC Clue
7. Re: Borderlands 2 DLC Clue Sep 20, 2012, 05:56 finga

deqer wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 02:23:
Is it free? If not, why?
No. For the same reason expansion packs aren't free.

Why not release mod tools and let us make our own DLC?

Because many companies believe that if you release it, you HAVE to support it, and few companies want to *support* mod tools. Many devs' mod tools are in an unfinished, broken state.

Plus, no one makes Gearbox stuff like Gearbox. This isn't Skyrim.

Oh, and btw... How do you cancel a Contra title? Seriously, how do you cancel something that is so easy to make, and has such a legendary title? ...
Bad games get canceled all the time. (They also often get released.)

News Comments > Steam Top 10
29. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 17, 2012, 15:29 finga

Prez wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 11:34:
Is it new sales of FTL that are putting it on the top 10 list or is it just codes being redeemed from the kickstarter drive? If that is all new sales that is just all kinds of awesome.
I don't know for sure, but this game is getting a lot of coverage by Twitch and YouTube stars, and they're causing a LOT of people to run out and buy this game. So my guess is that these are new purchases.

News Comments > Obsidian Kickstarter
48. Re: Obsidian Kickstarter Sep 14, 2012, 17:32 finga

ViRGE wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 17:20:
Am I the only one that finds Obsidian using Kickstarter to be a bit repugnant? They're an established developer - they should be going to a publisher and doing it right, not hitting up gamers for money before they've even begun. It's like a millionaire panhandling.
And what publishers do you think they *haven't* already pitched this to and gotten rejected on?

302 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo