Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for finger

Real Name finger   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname finga
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 22, 2008, 01:40
Total Comments 302 (Amateur)
User ID 48490

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > On PC Deus Ex: Human Revolution
9. Re: On PC Deus Ex: Human Revolution Mar 23, 2011, 22:49 finga

space captain wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 22:33:
dont fool yourself into thinking that AAA multi-platform games have the possibility of being untainted by console-centric concessions

its not a question of "if" but "how much"
And a question of whether PC gamers have echo-chambered themselves into such a fanboy frenzy so as to make them completely unable to enjoy an otherwise damn good game if it doesn't perfectly conform to their exacting standards.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Walkthrough Trailer
29. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Walkthrough Trailer Mar 22, 2011, 02:38 finga

Overon wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 22:27:
That first level looks just as claustrophobic as that other Deus Ex game called Invisible War. Oy my consolitis is flaring up.
Not true at all. The first real mission, this one, is MUCH larger than the standard level size in DX:IW.

28. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Walkthrough Trailer Mar 22, 2011, 02:36 finga

Trainwreck wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 23:27:
*Sigh*...I'm really divided over whether I want this to be amazing, or if I just want it to completely fail so they'll stop destroying Deus Ex.
All or nothing, huh? And you can't decide whether you'd rather a developer release a badass game or a shitty one?

Me, I can't decide whether I'd like to get one number right on the lottery tomorrow night, or six. Tough call.

27. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Walkthrough Trailer Mar 22, 2011, 02:33 finga

Jerykk wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 23:53:
I'm not a fan of the regenerating health

Once you had that aug in DX1, it was the most convenient, and often most efficient, way to heal up. I see this as an extension of a system that worked. It's a lot more believable here than it is in Call of Duty.

constant highlighting
Agreed here. It's a cover for bad map design/item placement.

third-person ladder climbing, third-person cover system or third-person one-button auto-kills
The ladder climbing is unimportant in the grand scheme, the cover system is not really doable in an entirely first person view, and I assume you have two gripes with the takedowns: 1) that they're third person (they'd look awkward as hell from first person with some of the spinning moves), and 2) that they're automatic takedowns (in which case I ask whether you'd rather have some kind of QTE equivalent?).

News Comments > Dragon Age II Demo
154. Re: Dragon Age II Demo Feb 28, 2011, 19:48 finga

Easily could have been an internal name given to the sequel back from when they were talking about the project but gave it an obscure name just in case it got out to the public pre-announcement. Developers do this often.  

News Comments > Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV
51. Re: Valve Looks to Steam Power Your TV Feb 28, 2011, 19:47 finga

Jesus christ, you guys will shit your pants and echo-chamber yourselves into a completely overdriven tizzy over any little thing.

Reading the same press release you did, it's clear they're talking about an alternate UI and gamepad controls to navigate the UI, making navigation on a TV easy when you've got some gamepad-enabled games. It's not some huge OnLive-style project.

News Comments > OnLive Console with Homefront Preorders
19. Re: OnLive Console with Homefront Preorders Feb 27, 2011, 14:29 finga

Flatline wrote on Feb 26, 2011, 20:01:
Fang wrote on Feb 26, 2011, 18:39:
There are millions in the US with FIOS. If you don't have it, well, it sucks to be you. I'm loving my rock solid 25/25 mbps connection.

So just how *does* Verizon's semen taste?
Spoken precisely like someone that had Comcast force themselves upon him.

News Comments > DRM Change for AC Brotherhood
3. Re: DRM Change for AC Brotherhood Feb 22, 2011, 20:05 finga

Uh, it's better because your game isn't interrupted in mid-session because your wireless card is funky, or your internet connection drops for more than a few seconds, or Ubisoft's servers get DOS'd. All of that could happen when you're starting the first time, sure, but this means fewer issues. So yes, by definition, it's better. As in, not as bad.  

News Comments > Civilization V Patch Notes
5. Re: Civilization V Patch Notes Feb 18, 2011, 16:54 finga

I thought that the Wide empires were the ones doing poorly in Civ 5? I remember seeing a shitton of problems with unhappiness.  

News Comments > DiRT 3 & GFWL, New Trailer
5. Re: DiRT 3 & GFWL, New Trailer Feb 12, 2011, 09:48 finga

At this point, I don't mind GFWL for offline games. I've learned how to make an offline profile and quickly get in and get out of its interface to play. But what it does to online games really sucks, because it's that Xbox 360-style matchmaking system where people are hosting what us old-school gamers used to call listen servers for any part of the online mode.

Actually, is that right? Has there ever been a game with GFWL implementation and then dedicated servers? Because it seems like that's how MS pulls these developers in, by offering a drag-and-drop implementation of online play that they don't really have to spend much time/money/effort on to get working. I guess it's fine for a throwaway game where online play isn't really going to make much of a difference - and for the PC version of DIRT 3, maybe that applies - but it just can't support a real playerbase.

News Comments > New CrimeCraft Episode Tonight
8. Re: New CrimeCraft Episode Tonight Feb 6, 2011, 04:18 finga

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Feb 6, 2011, 02:30:
No kidding. rmb for run? WTF?
Right Mouse Button for Move Forward was part of the default mouse bindings in DOOM. There was no WASD, so I made up ASDF since that was the homerow and felt comfortable. Been using that since.

Yes, some of us started playing with the mouse *before* Quake.

News Comments > BF2 Content in Battlefield 3?
3. Re: BF2 Content in Battlefield 3? Feb 5, 2011, 16:07 finga

I hope that the new Frostbite tech allows the inner structure of a building to be blown up independently from the exterior. That always bugged me about how in BC2, explosions would "poke through" interior floors and walls for the purposes of killing a guy on the other side of the wall, but they wouldn't actually get a hole blown in them, and it wouldn't contribute to the destruction of the building.

(It was vital to understand these rather broken mechanics if you spent any significant amount of time killing people with explosives in BC2.)

News Comments > Evening Previews
2. Re: Evening Previews Feb 4, 2011, 02:17 finga

Psst. Throwing vases at people's heads in Deus Ex didn't hurt them either.  

News Comments > PC BF1943 and BC2 Onslaught Cancelled
37. Re: PC BF1943 and BC2 Onslaught Cancelled Feb 4, 2011, 02:12 finga

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Feb 3, 2011, 16:52:
BF 3 (PC) R.I.P. sorry you were exposed to the deadly consolitis virus.
It continues to infect the PC world.
Which is funny, because Bad Company 2 launched on PC and consoles at the same time, too, and yet it was actually pretty goddamn fun for quite a while. Opinions do differ on whether it was good, but it does have a pretty solid following on PC and it has sold pretty successfully, too.

None of this is a guarantee that BF3 will be good, and DICE's haphazard sense of quality control and their wildly inconsistent patching has been a problem ever since the very beginning, but I've gotten used to that and it hasn't really hurt them that bad on PC so far.

But hey, if the Blues News Hive Mind Temper Tantrum says that BF3 will be "consolified" by ignoring the facts and making up shit, then that's how it will be. Right?

News Comments > Gold - Bulletstorm
36. Re: Gold - Bulletstorm Feb 2, 2011, 19:22 finga

reisub wrote on Feb 2, 2011, 07:19:
It's cute that you think Blue's News is so important.
Actual developers post in Shacknews' comments, and have for years - before the GameFly takeover. In the last couple years I've seen comments from at least 5 AAA studios that I'm aware of. I think part of it is that it's not just incessant whining and bitching and 'sperging about narrow definitions of how to do a PC game right.

News Comments > Crysis II System Requirements
21. Re: Crysis II System Requirements Feb 2, 2011, 18:25 finga

What it's looking like is that Crysis 2 has only a few visual upgrades over the first game - possibly at a cost in performance - but that they worked mostly on scalability for older hardware. It's perfectly possible for a game to run on 360/PS3 and still look amazing on PC, but it does take a ton of work in creating that scalability. Support for DX9 and DX11 would be necessary, with a range of texture sizes and tweak-able effects. What I'd like to see from Crysis 2 on PC is access to all of those little command line tweaks in some kind of super-advanced UI.  

News Comments > Gold - Bulletstorm
4. Re: Gold - Bulletstorm Feb 1, 2011, 21:25 finga

You guys should figure out a better way to get developers to support the PC better. The Blues News Commenter Hivemind Temper Tantrum strategy isn't really working out. Maybe something more constructive would help?  

News Comments > On Bulletstorm DRM and GFWL
47. Re: On Bulletstorm DRM and GFWL Jan 31, 2011, 05:05 finga

GFWL is frigging annoying and MS made it harder to just make a local profile (and is very aggravating when you refuse, causing the game to insist you can't make save games until you have a profile), but you can still just make a local profile. And if a game is good, I don't see why the mere existence of GFWL is such a great reason to skip that game. Are there just too many awesome games coming out for PC that you can skip something you'd otherwise want to play, all for the extra couple of seconds to click a profile when you start the game? If so, sure... but most of us are almost desperate for fun, hardcore new PC games.

GFWL doesn't cost money to play on, and there's no requirement to use its shitty console-style online play. If Bulletstorm has servers, then that should be good enough to cover that.

I'm not saying I "know" Bulletstorm is going to be a great game, but if it is, refusing to play it because of GFWL just denying yourself fun for the sake of something you have pretty much zero influence over anyway.

News Comments > Homefront PC Details
23. Re: No THQ DRM for PC Homefront Jan 28, 2011, 19:39 finga

maddog wrote on Jan 28, 2011, 15:39:
Wouldn't be surprised if they backtrack on this...

"dedicated server browser executable, LAN support,"

Seems to me, I remember InfinityWard stating they would support mods and map making. Have yet to see either of those.

Can't believe Kaos will be gracious enough to give the few things PC gamers really love.

MD
I don't think IW ever promised that stuff. They stalled until they announced IWNet as some sort of "improvement" for PC gaming online, which by that point everyone knew was going to limit the game tremendously.

And the core of Kaos is made up of the guys that made Desert Combat for BF1942. Love or hate that mod, that's about as legit of a PC-oriented pedigree as you're going to get in a AAA game developer now.

News Comments > Homefront PC Details
21. Re: OT Batttlefield Jan 28, 2011, 19:35 finga

Prez wrote on Jan 28, 2011, 18:52:
Not to be a downer here, (or worse, a thread hijacker!!! Shocked ) but the problem I have is that the premise for this game feels eerily close to a future I find myself contemplating fearfully from time to time.
The prequel novel for this game will be terrifying to you, then. It goes into a lot of detail as to how it happened, and while the actual journey of the main character is a bit off and the writing isn't of the highest quality, the actual concept leading up to the invasion is really well thought-out. They tick all the boxes, in my mind, that would lead to a feasible land invasion of the US.

302 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo