Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for finger

Real Name finger   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname finga
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 22, 2008, 01:40
Total Comments 302 (Amateur)
User ID 48490

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Crysis 2 Editor Released
2. Re: Crysis 2 Editor Released Jun 29, 2011, 18:02 finga

Maybe if all these features had come on day one, gamers wouldn't have minded so much that the urban combat compromised so much of what made Crysis not only good to look at, but really fun to play. Crytek has delivered much-needed features months too late, and they may not have realized that people have moved on.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Free SHIFT 2 Unleashed DLC for PC This Week
9. Re: Free SHIFT 2 Unleashed DLC for PC This Week Jun 29, 2011, 00:55 finga

Paketep wrote on Jun 28, 2011, 03:36:
nin wrote on Jun 27, 2011, 23:16:
Good move.

You realize the only reason they did this was to drive people to Origin, right?

This. And I hope it doesn't work.
Yep, you'd rather they charge for content. Clearly you don't play SHIFT 2.

News Comments > Free SHIFT 2 Unleashed DLC for PC This Week
1. Re: Free SHIFT 2 Unleashed DLC for PC This Week Jun 27, 2011, 20:51 finga

Good move. SHIFT 2 is definitely at its best on PC, and I think it's a solid competitor to the ones with bigger production values on consoles, like Forza and Gran Turismo. Not as sim-oriented as the classics or stuff like iRacing, but it requires just a bit less of a commitment or a nose for the very technical aspects of driving.  

News Comments > Quote of the Day
5. Re: Quote of the Day Jun 20, 2011, 19:35 finga

nin wrote on Jun 20, 2011, 19:09:
I think if it wasn't for Blizzard and Modern Warfare, their ass would be grass right now.
Yeah, but they knew that they'd be able to rely on those for 2011 while they invest in big projects for the future. Plus, they do have games coming this year, like new X-Men and Spider-Man games, along with Spyro, and while Spider-Man seems like the gameplay innovation is low, the other two do not.

No one seems to be suggesting that they will solely rely on these two franchises until they die.

News Comments > Eurogamer Blacklisted By 2K?
9. Re: Eurogamer Blacklisted By 2K? Jun 16, 2011, 12:59 finga

Blacklisting definitely happens, but it's supposed to be hush-hush. Redner tweeting it publicly seemed to be what pissed off 2K.  

News Comments > It Came from E3 2011, Part 12
1. Re: It Came from E3 2011, Part 12 Jun 14, 2011, 14:03 finga

It was across the street from E3, but there was a marriage proposal at the Video Games Live concert on Wednesday night, too.  

News Comments > Saturday Previews
5. Re: Troll of the Day Jun 12, 2011, 10:45 finga

zerobytes wrote on Jun 12, 2011, 00:44:
You were reading the Xbox360 preview. TenTonHammer has a preview of the PC version.
http://www.tentonhammer.com/skyrim/e3/2011/first-look
Which is funny, because the PC version of TESV was not at E3. So all they did was change that in their preview text.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 ShakyCam
8. Re: Battlefield 3 ShakyCam Jun 11, 2011, 12:05 finga

Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2011, 02:59:
I never understand why these guys can't drop $20 on a tripod. They're not big or heavy.
Because in most of these closed-doors areas, you're not even supposed to film. Many Bothans died to bring you this footage.

News Comments > RAGE Trailer
40. Re: RAGE Trailer Jun 4, 2011, 21:44 finga

Jerykk wrote on Jun 4, 2011, 19:43:
The trailer is no doubt played with a gamepad. You can see the player using movement to bring his reticule onto target in addition to the linear sweeps of the weapon. No matter. I've been waiting for a decent FPS experience, regardless of whether it's old school bland or not.

I'm not so sure about that. The trailer very clear shows "E" keyboard prompts for interaction. Wouldn't it show gamepad button prompts if a gamepad was plugged in?

That said, the camera movement does look too slow and steady for mouse aim. It's possible that the player was just doing that intentionally.
This is almost certainly the case. They don't want to make people sick with that movement, and a RAGE trailer still has to appeal to people that haven't been playing id games since 1991. I'd probably guess that the demoer (probably Willits) played with a lot of mouse smoothing and a particular style in order to make things feel smooth. When they demoed Rage for the first time at QuakeCon, they used a gamepad, knowing that the crowd would be unhappy with it, simply because they know what demoing a PC first person shooter is like - even to a crowd like that.

News Comments > XCOM in March 2012
17. Re: XCOM in March 2012 Jun 3, 2011, 20:41 finga

Verno wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 12:10:
I've had my fill of serviceable FPS games but I certainly could use some good turn based strategy games with decent production values.
Yeah, but no one is willing to actually find out if those games have a market, because in all likelihood a $25 million investment is not going to pay off. Hell, Halo Wars barely broke a million sales, and that was much more mainstream-friendly.

Right off the bat, you're talking PC only with a small budget and rather low production values, and the fanbase for turn-based and tactical games is a fraction of that of, say, Starcraft. If there's going to be a resurgence in the tactical strategy genre, it'll only happen with the XCOM name on the box if this shooter is successful, and the tactical game will then become the "spinoff".

And self-entitled PC gamers will then be unable to contain their rage about THAT, despite the likelihood that the FPS that they bitched and moaned about actually spawned the game they wanted, just not under the precise name they wanted for it.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Workarounds
8. Re: The Witcher 2 Workarounds May 21, 2011, 01:26 finga

No invert mouse workaround. Damn, guess I have to wait.

And no, I won't accept the idea of retraining myself to disable inverted, since only the very, very odd game once in a blue moon doesn't support it, and it's usually fixed before I would even be able to get used to the opposite.

In the years since I've played the last PC game that didn't support inverted mouse, I wouldn't ever expect that the next one to do it would be a PC-only favorite like The Witcher.

News Comments > No Valve E3 Announcements
12. Re: No Valve E3 Announcements May 19, 2011, 03:25 finga

UConnBBall wrote on May 19, 2011, 01:50:
If they reveal HL3 before Episode 3 the internets will melt and burn. I can see it now Episode 3 = HL3 a quote by Gabe.
Nobody will care what they call it. "New Half Life" is all people want, and they won't give a damn what it's called.

News Comments > No Valve E3 Announcements
11. Re: No Valve E3 Announcements May 19, 2011, 03:24 finga

Riker wrote on May 19, 2011, 01:18:
I'm betting squarely on a feint. My spidey-sense has been telling me for a long time that Half-Life 3's reveal isn't very far away.
If it is, it won't be at E3.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. May 13, 2011, 01:34 finga

Interesting... FOV console variable enabled in Portal 2. I didn't ever feel like I needed it, though.  

News Comments > Capcom on PC Gaming
3. Re: Capcom on PC Gaming May 11, 2011, 23:39 finga

What's surprised me the most about Capcom's PC ports are their performance. Street Fighter IV can be made to run at 60FPS even on ION-based netbooks, which can't run very many modern games at over 20FPS, much less 60.  

News Comments > BRINK TV Countdown
14. Re: BRINK TV Countdown May 9, 2011, 02:30 finga

OpticNerve wrote on May 8, 2011, 22:33:
I fully expect the PC to be the main SKU for RAGE but most of the videos that I've seen are showing off gameplay from the console version (easily noticeable by the crosshair movement).
This not always true. When you're demoing a game, smooth, sweeping movements are better, and a console controller is infinitely better for that, as you just push the stick to one position and the perspective spins and slides nicely. Mouse-based controls are jerkier and while you and I, Blue's News Commenters, can handle it just fine - and probably prefer it that way - it's not good for promotional stuff to the mainstream. The important thing is to make that twitch stuff right for the rest of us, while still marketing the game to console players.

News Comments > BRINK TV Countdown
13. Re: BRINK TV Countdown May 9, 2011, 02:27 finga

Jerykk wrote on May 8, 2011, 22:45:
Of course they would show off the console version of the game in their trailers. It's the platform that sells the most. Does that ALWAYS make it the lead SKU for a game? Not at all.

Uh, if the console version of the game is expected to sell the most, why would they use PC as the lead SKU? That doesn't really make any sense.
Yes, this happens. Quite a few games at last year's E3, especially at 2K's booth, were shown on PC, despite it being likely that console versions were to sell better. Spec Ops: The Line, XCOM, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and Dungeon Siege 3 were all PC versions, even with 360 controllers plugged in and all games likely to sell more on consoles.

Simple reasoning is that 1080p/60fps looks better in a demo than 720p/30fps, and if they can still use a controller, then great. It makes less sense if you're putting together a 720p30 trailer anyway, but it does happen.

I'm surprised Bethesda Game Studios hasn't started doing this, especially since the PC has been their lead platform for a while (well, if we're considering "best possible experience with the most features available" as the primary criteria).

John Carmack already confirmed that X360 was the lead SKU for Rage.
And Tim Willits confirmed otherwise in an interview last year. But just look at it: much better graphics on PC, super high-res textures that will only work on the PC version, editor built into the game... unless you have a different definition of "lead platform", it's obvious that the 360 version is just the PC version with cut-down content. That's not to say that a monumental effort didn't go into getting the tech running on consoles, but that's just the tech.

The presence of dedicated servers and a slightly modified PC UI in no way suggests that PC was the lead SKU. If most of the official media released for the game was from the PC version, that would suggest that PC is the lead SKU. However, there's been no PC media whatsoever except that lone screenshot from the strategy guide.
If the PC port gives people what they want, I see little reason to care.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Specs
18. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Specs May 5, 2011, 22:33 finga

Jerykk wrote on May 5, 2011, 04:27:
It doesn't matter what type of game it is. A consistent perspective always helps maintain immersion.
"That's just, like, your opinion, man."

If you were playing Mass Effect and it put you in first-person when you talked to people, took cover, opened doors or used special abilities, that would be pretty awkward.
Or when you zoom with a sniper scope? Because then it actually does switch to first person, and if you're playing an infiltrator, you'll likely be using the scope quite a bit. For at least some of us gamers, it's not a loss of immersion.

News Comments > Free OnLive Console with Red Faction Armageddon
6. Re: Free OnLive Console with Red Faction Armageddon May 5, 2011, 08:11 finga

Sempai wrote on May 5, 2011, 05:33:
PLEASE! Buy a game! Any game! So we can give you our free shit!

I really hope they make it through cause in essence it's a good idea for the gamer on the go, or the person who is forced to travel and stay in motels etc.

Just not for me.

I'm prayin for you OnLive!
Actually, it's horrible for people who travel, because only a tiny fraction of hotels will give you the bandwidth that OnLive requires.

Even 4G under realistic urban conditions won't do well... it's got the bandwidth, but it's not consistent enough and the higher latency just adds more to the delay between what you click and what you see.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Specs
16. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Specs May 5, 2011, 04:11 finga

Jerykk wrote on May 5, 2011, 00:08:
Actually, if you plan on doing any shooting, you have to use cover. This isn't a run-and-gun shooter, especially on the highest difficulty.
It doesn't even have to be a shooter at all. That was my point. It's silly to lump this game's action in with the likes of Gears of War or even Mass Effect 2, where the vast majority of the time you spend in combat is likely to be from behind cover.

And if you want to peek around cover without fully exposing yourself to enemy fire, you have to use the third-person cover system. There is no first-person leaning.
Or use an augmentation before you even walk in the room.

If you constantly switch perspectives, the immersion takes a hit.
For a certain type of game (and I'm not talking about "all first person games" here) that might be true, but this isn't Half-Life. You're not the voiceless, disembodied soul that happens to be possessing one Gordon Freeman. You do play a particular, very well-defined character in this game, and it's one that the developers have pre-set for you. If the immersion issue becomes serious and you ever find yourself confused about whether it's actually you running around in 2027, just check your surrounding environment (empty Cheeto bag, stack of unpaid bills strewn across the desk, anime posters on the walls) to confirm that you are in fact playing a video game.

302 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo