Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for finger

Real Name finger   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname finga
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 22, 2008, 01:40
Total Comments 302 (Amateur)
User ID 48490

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > On PC Deus Ex Human Revolution
40. Re: On PC Deus Ex Human Revolution Aug 15, 2011, 01:14 finga

Jerykk wrote on Aug 14, 2011, 22:52:
It's pretty simple: PC ports use console FOVs, which are not ideal for the PC audience. PC gamers expect a wider FOV and therefore, they expect to be able to adjust the FOV in games that default to lower ones. Console gamers are the target audience for almost all design choices these days, including FOV, so they don't need adjustable FOV as much as PC gamers do.

Ultimately, if console gamers cared as much about FOV, aspect ratio, resolution, framerate, AA, AF, etc, as PC gamers do, they'd just switch to PC gaming.
I understand what PC gamers expect, but console gamers could make good use of these adjustments as well. Most of them run at 16:9, the same (or wider, compared to 16:10) aspect ratio as most PC gamers do, and the screen is often taking up a similar amount of their field of vision. (Not every console gamer sits 10 feet away from the screen.)

So again, why is it that PC gamers deserve these settings but console gamers don't? Again, I'm not making the argument that PC games shouldn't have FOV controls. I'm making the argument that all games should have them, both PC and console, the same way most games now have options for invert vertical, subtitles, and other bits and pieces.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: On PC Deus Ex Human Revolution Aug 15, 2011, 01:04 finga

Rockn-Roll wrote on Aug 15, 2011, 00:50:
finga wrote on Aug 14, 2011, 22:45:
Let's face it: PC gamers aren't "more hardcore", by definition, than console gamers.

You're facing the wrong direction. Tell me which console gamer is running their games on 5040x1050 resolution...huh? What? Nobody. That is a common resolution for a triple-wide widescreen LCD setup like mine. An FOV of 60 makes the tunnel vision three times as bad for us than a console gamer.
Oh, so spending more money automatically is what makes you more of a hardcore gamer. It has nothing to do with skill, practice, time played, the depth of gameplay enjoyed, or love of complex games. Just whether you spent a grand on a PC and a whopping bank-breaking $350 on a few 20" monitors (as opposed to the comparable prices many console gamers spend on their full living room setups). I see.

This comment was edited on Aug 15, 2011, 01:19.

35. Re: On PC Deus Ex Human Revolution Aug 14, 2011, 22:46 finga

JediPunisher wrote on Aug 14, 2011, 22:14:
Shok wrote on Aug 14, 2011, 17:30:
All those DX11 features makes me want to upgrade my video card. It's a Radeon 5850 but DX11 specific features are slow.

Can anyone suggest a fairly future-proof (~2 yrs) DX11 video card $200 or less?

That 5850 is a good card... Your best bang for the buck would be to add a second 5850.
That's what I have, and when I enable crossfire I usually gain 70% or more fps. Upgrading to a 6950 will only net you a 30% boost.

I found a comparison of various cards running Metro 2033 (a very demanding DX11 game with tessellation, "very high" settings @ 2560x1600) and I added the percent gain:

5850 10.7 fps
6870 11.3 +5.6%
GTX 560 11.9 +11.2%
5870 12.0 +12.1%
GTX 470 13.0 +21.5%
6950 14.0 +30.8%
GTX 570 16.0 +49.5%
GTX 480 16.2 +51.4%
5850 xfire 17.5 +63.5%
5970 (dual-gpu) 18.8 +75.7%
GTX 580 19.2 +79.5%
Adding a second card is fine as long as your machine is Crossfire capable and you're willing to deal with all the caveats. For a lot of gamers, one or both of those things do not hold true.

Admittedly, spending $200 right now to upgrade from a 5850 isn't going to improve frame rates very much; it's probably best to save up and make a bigger investment so that it's a much more noticeable difference.

34. Re: On PC Deus Ex Human Revolution Aug 14, 2011, 22:45 finga

None of the FOV posts I've seen are convincing me as to why the PC needs to have it while the console doesn't. For me, an argument for one is an argument for another.

Unless you're telling me that you know precisely how I play my console games any more than you know how you're playing your PC games. What if I'm in a dorm room and sitting close to a PC monitor or a small TV? What if I'm just sitting too close?

If you are arguing for FOV controls on PC, that's just as good of a reason to argue for them on consoles, too. Let's face it: PC gamers aren't "more hardcore", by definition, than console gamers. They love games just as much and spend just as much time with them as we do. Both platforms have their casual and hardcore gamers. Serious console gamers could use more user-configurable tweaks too, and I think that this is a good way for hardcore games to differentiate themselves from stuff by Nintendo and shovelware developers.

25. Re: On PC Deus Ex Human Revolution Aug 14, 2011, 21:18 finga

I've played quite a few console games at 30FPS with AA on, and I'd rather turn it off to get something closer to 40fps.

Also, what is it about the PC that requires you to have adjustable FOV, but you don't need it on consoles?

Actually, BioShock on 360 surprised me when I could disable VSync. Some quirk with UE3, or how it was implemented in BioShock, actually gave significantly higher frame rates with VSync disabled, too.

23. Re: On PC Deus Ex Human Revolution Aug 14, 2011, 20:31 finga

Jerykk wrote on Aug 14, 2011, 19:54:

As for that list of PC games in your sig, you really should remove the whole "inferior to console versions" part. None of the games in that list are inferior to the console versions. A port that's inferior to console versions is extremely rare. A port that's inferior to the best PC-exclusives, on the other hand, is much more common and clearly the standard by which you are judging those games.
Agreed, although I imagine that things like DRM probably make people angry enough to say that higher resolution isn't worth it. (Not that I agree.) What I find funny is that the one PC game that really was worse than at least one console version was the first Just Cause. The PC version was a port of the PS2/Xbox version, not the Xbox 360 version that was released at the same time.

edit: this list is ridiculous. Mass Effect 2 has "low FMV resolution"? It's 720p. I can't think of pretty much any game, even on PC, that has 1080p FMV. Admittedly, it was more obvious than most games because the game would switch from the engine to FMV in mid-scene pretty often. Yet no complaints about the no-scroll wheel use in the inventory? The Borderlands entry bitches about it...

Also, Section 8 - couldn't increase FOV or adjust AA... um, you can't do that on consoles, either.

The Fallout games' Pip-boy doesn't have "one button" access to sections.. it has one-click access.

Finally, Starcraft II is on this list, even though it's supposed to be a list of games that's inferior to console versions. This whole list just smacks of impotent PC gamer rage.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2011, 20:39.

10. Re: On PC Deus Ex Human Revolution Aug 14, 2011, 17:36 finga

I would say go for the Radeon 6950, or maybe stretch your budget into the $230 range and go for the Radeon 6970. If you're an Nvidia guy, the 560 Ti is pretty close in the benchmarks (sometimes faster, sometimes slower) and it can be found for under $200 after rebate. The 560 only has 1GB on the card, which could be a concern down the road depending on how fast texture resolution is increased in the next couple years.

Of course, if you're trying to power a 2560x1600 display or something, none of these cards will do too much good for long - especially if you start cranking up the eye candy and antialiasing. You could probably use one of these cards at around 1920x1200 (or x1080), but by the end of two years you might be stretching it with some tough choices on detail options.

This review has benchmarks for all 3 cards.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2011, 17:47.

News Comments > EA: PC "Extremely Healthy" and Could Become "Our Biggest Platform"
5. Re: EA: PC Aug 13, 2011, 15:40 finga

The next console generation is nearly as risky for the publishers as it is for the manufacturers. Think about launch titles - who wants to publish a game on a system that, heading up to the game's release date, only has a guaranteed install base consisting, at maximum, of the number of pre-ordered consoles?  

News Comments > RAGE Using Steamworks
15. Re: RAGE Using Steamworks Aug 13, 2011, 04:18 finga

Jerykk wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 23:57:
Why do Steam users have to periodically log in?
I'm guessing this is intended to be a rhetorical question, but let's play along anyway.

It's so that your buddy can't borrow your login info, jump on, download all the games you bought, and then play them forever without logging in ever again (while you also have access to them, too). Sure, it'd be a nice freedom to have from the player's perspective, but Steam was built on getting publishers to trust them, and offering absolutely no protection from piracy was not a good way to do it.

At some point, I do think they should go back and look at this policy, especially considering that they're the dominant force in PC digital distribution. 'Course, I also think they have the power now to refuse any game using outside DRM in the future, whether it's GFWL, Starforce, or anything else.

News Comments > Brink DLC Next Week
15. Re: Brink DLC Next Week Jul 30, 2011, 07:02 finga

Nate wrote on Jul 29, 2011, 19:52:
I had many hours of fun in Brink for the PC. Agree that the servers are getting quite thin.

The only reason I kept playing Brink was that I'm tired of TF2. It has some new elements which made it fresh. Now, its not so fresh. Perhaps 2 new maps will keep me interested for a few more plays. But probably not.
Eh, come join us in Bad Company 2. Origin is having a $5 sale if you can somehow endure installing a piece of software on your PC. (Which apparently some people are having trouble wrapping their brains around!)

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Purity First Trailer
21. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Purity First Trailer Jul 25, 2011, 23:07 finga

Acleacius wrote on Jul 25, 2011, 21:01:
Don't see how they will be able to explain a buggy, incomplete or poor port for the PC, with all this cash and man hours going to these extremely expensive pr videos.

So it must be perfect.
People like you are not this publisher's top priority. Actually, most publishers don't consider you a top priority.

News Comments > Origin Exclusive Mass Effect 3 Digital Deluxe Edition
39. Re: Origin Exclusive Mass Effect 3 Digital Deluxe Edition Jul 10, 2011, 04:16 finga

Yep, I'm going to refuse to play the third iteration of a franchise I love and have been playing for years, all because I might have to set up yet ANOTHER username and password on top of the dozens I have already memorized! That's way too difficult for me, so I'm going to get REALLY ANGRY about it! Because I hate having fun!  

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 & Color Blindness
9. Re: Modern Warfare 3 & Color Blindness Jul 8, 2011, 16:48 finga

I've got a family member that appreciates features for the color blind, and while I'm not deaf or hard of hearing, I like having subtitles on - especially when I'm gaming late at night, the wife's asleep, and I have to have the explosions quiet enough to not wake her. Sometimes, the audio mix doesn't allow me to clearly hear every word. I can easily put headphones on, sure, but sometimes I'd rather not - and subtitles allow that.  

News Comments > World of Warcraft Recruit-A-Friend Program Levels Up
2. Re: World of Warcraft Recruit-A-Friend Program Levels Up Jul 8, 2011, 10:57 finga

The big thing is that it now works through level 80. The other stuff was there before.  

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Announced
4. Re: PlanetSide 2 Announced Jul 8, 2011, 10:55 finga

JoeNapalm wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 10:49:
Planetside was never an MMO in the sense of what MMOGs have become - which is to say, WoW and it's mutant offspring.

Planetside was actually closer to a persistent-world BF2 with much much larger maps and battles.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

You mean Everquest and its mutant offspring then? Because WoW's MMO-ness is identical. And you're digging pretty far back (1999) to try and call an MMO, well, not an MMO.

News Comments > Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 Demo [Updated]
1. Re: LEGO Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 Demo Jul 8, 2011, 10:54 finga

I believe this is just a "standard" Harry Potter game, not a LEGO game. There is a new LEGO Harry Potter on the way, but it's called Years 5-7 or something.  

News Comments > On PC Skyrim
9. Re: On PC Skyrim Jul 6, 2011, 23:42 finga

Damn, you guys are fucking bitchy tonight.  

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Learning From ME2 and DA2 Mistakes
9. Re: yeh, you can totally talk your way out of death Jul 1, 2011, 02:25 finga

Jerykk wrote on Jul 1, 2011, 00:39:
Does this mean they are getting rid of the retarded morality system?
I thought BioWare has done a great job in taking Paragon/Renegade away from that direction. Although, I do think ME2 made a mistake in requiring you to go almost all Paragon or all Renegade in order to keep your crew alive in ME2, though.

News Comments > F.E.A.R. 3 Patch
8. Re: F.E.A.R. 3 Patch Jul 1, 2011, 02:21 finga

Sempai wrote on Jun 30, 2011, 22:22:
Yes, so far it's been completely mediocre, that's not even adding the fact the FoV is a fucking nightmare for anyone who has the slightest sensitivity to getting sick and the stuttering issues which plague even high end systems.
You know, if I had a peanut allergy, I'd probably find out if food I was about to eat had peanuts in it before I just dove right in. Perhaps you should do the same with video games.

News Comments > Upcoming PC Shooter Tease
29. Re: Upcoming PC Shooter Tease Jun 30, 2011, 19:37 finga

Film Grain filter: hiding low-resolution textures since 2007.  

302 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo