Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for finger

Real Name finger   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname finga
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 22, 2008, 01:40
Total Comments 302 (Amateur)
User ID 48490

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Skyrim Trailer Triple-Feature
29. Re: Skyrim Trailer Triple-Feature Sep 13, 2011, 01:04 finga

PHJF wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 17:21:
Hey I've got this brilliant idea for a user-friendly UI. Let's have a bunch of single-line scrollable text and then a giant fucking image of the item on half the screen.
You must be posting from one of these mice.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters Refunds?
4. Re: Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters Refunds? Sep 12, 2011, 15:15 finga

I think it's a separate online service. Masters '12 and Tiger Woods Online are two entirely separate games, from what I gather.  

News Comments > Deus Ex Unreal Revolution
7. Re: Deus Ex Unreal Revolution Sep 9, 2011, 11:38 finga

vrok wrote on Sep 9, 2011, 11:22:
Yeah health regen totally should have been a DLC augmentation.
He didn't mean buying it with dollars. He meant buying it with Praxis points. I have no idea how you didn't get that.

News Comments > Howard on Bugs and Why Skyrim is Not an MMOG
6. Re: Howard on Skyrim Bugs and Why Skyrim is Not an MMOG Aug 31, 2011, 21:39 finga

I dunno that his description of their bug-killing strategy really meshes with the reality of it. Maybe it's just the GameBryo engine, but there are just so many things in Oblivion/FO3/NV that can cause the engine or game to just crash to desktop without any hint at what the error was. I'm hoping that the Creation Engine they built, if it's going to crash about as much (especially when you start piling on mods), at least helps modmakers and troubleshooters figure out the issue. Be even better if they just caught errors better and didn't immediately dump out to desktop...  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Reviews
66. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Reviews Aug 23, 2011, 10:13 finga

Creston wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 22:13:
I agree, but nowadays you can apparently be a "gaming journalist" if your entire gaming experience was "TEH HALOZ! LOLZZZOR!11!1!!"
Silly elitism. I could easily make the argument that even having played Deus Ex is not enough, and you have to have played a Pong console or grew up with the Atari 2600 to be a true game journalist. But I wouldn't make that argument, because it's ridiculous.

Believe it or not, there are 25-year-old critics out there who actually understand the history of gaming pretty well and do a fantastic job of writing about games.

News Comments > John Carmack on RAGE
22. Re: John Carmack on RAGE Aug 22, 2011, 05:54 finga

Jeez, Blues News Comment Monsters is ANGRY tonight.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Launch Sales Limited; Huttball Introduced
47. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Launch Sales Limited Huttball Introduced Aug 19, 2011, 17:52 finga

Well, if BioWare can't make story a motivating factor in an MMORPG, then I don't think anyone will. Not anytime soon.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
9. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 19, 2011, 10:07 finga

Diablo 3 is, in my mind, one of the better candidates on the upcoming crop of exclusive PC games to work on consoles. Think about it. Control scheme is nearly perfect for this with the exception of say, like D2's Sorceress teleport, but you could buffer up a longer teleport with a longer press on the cast button. You've got enough triggers and buttons to map a full eight commands directly to buttons (or that right analog stick) without any bullshit. The system requirements aren't incredibly high, the player limit won't likely be an issue, and mods aren't really intended to be a part of the game. The only challenge I'd see would be in screwing around in the inventory.

I think it'd work fine on consoles... as long as 1) the PC version goes unchanged, and 2) console players get their own version of B.net to play on.

News Comments > Warhammer Online Wrath of Heroes Announced
5. Re: Warhammer Online Wrath of Heroes Announced Aug 17, 2011, 02:25 finga

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 23:54:
What the... from Bioware? Lol. Just rename that studio already.

Also, WO:WoH, nothing can go wrong with this initialism.(the non-acronym type of abbreviation)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSr49hnwU7I

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Trailer and Screenshots
12. Re: Mass Effect 3 Trailer and Screenshots Aug 16, 2011, 19:30 finga

Verno wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 14:54:
Yeah I wasn't really feeling that at all either. One new move and some better weaponry was all that seemed interesting there. I hope the two years went to story and stuff instead because the combat was already decently refined in the second game barring some interface stuff.

Agreed. The E3 demo was promising on this front, and it did have story content.

Gameplay trailers are always going to be action-heavy, and ME1 and 2 both had similar trailers without much story in them. I'd really like for ME3 to have at least one good few-minute-long trailer with some important story elements, though. I know that EA wants BioWare to pull in new gamers and not just the current fanbase, but give us loyal fans a bone here.

News Comments > Space Pirates and Zombies and Demo Released
12. Re: Space Pirates and Zombies and Demo Released Aug 16, 2011, 00:06 finga

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 00:05:
Demo is interesting. Would like to see more ship customization, but that could be due to demo size.
It pretty much is that, yeah.

10. Re: Space Pirates and Zombies and Demo Released Aug 16, 2011, 00:05 finga

Jerykk wrote on Aug 15, 2011, 23:55:
You dare question the authority of Reagle? Better watch yourself. He'll own your ass in CoD.
Well damn. If only I was attention-deficit enough to enjoy Call of Duty's multiplayer mode.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Q&A
4. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Q&A Aug 16, 2011, 00:00 finga

Weapon skills in action-RPGs are generally a bad idea for the same reason that they were removed going from ME1 to ME2: because there's just no good way (yet) to explain why the same gun, that fires the same-powered bullet, to the same spot on the target should somehow do any different amount of damage by characters with two different "skill" levels in that gun. (It's also why using level disparity to reduce weapon power in games like Borderlands became really annoying when the disparity was any more than tiny. How many 50cal-sized bullets, regardless of my level, do I really need to dump into this asshole's head to penetrate through his skull?)

The only gameplay-related way to balance it, then, is to make the gun's sights shake and wave all around if you don't have enough skill. Go and play Mass Effect 1 and use a sniper rifle early game to find out how successful that idea turned out (hint: it was infuriating to try and play, and completely silly to see some lauded Commander in the Alliance Navy that couldn't hold a rifle inside of a 15-meter spread on a downrange target). To balance it, they had to sway the sights so much as to make you feel like you were falling-over drunk just to stop people from still getting headshot after headshot. It was annoying and ineffective. ME2 tried to deal with this by allowing only some classes to use some gun types, and then in higher difficulty levels and by adding kinetic barriers and armor to nearly every enemy - but it still wasn't really perfect.

Now, if you had a game with a lot of diving, jumping, and running, then maybe you could get away with huge accuracy adjustments with skill by saying that the character's skill is in aiming the weapon with precision while doing acrobatic moves, but that's generally not how most action-RPGs play out.

5. Re: Space Pirates and Zombies and Demo Released Aug 15, 2011, 23:49 finga

[VG]Reagle wrote on Aug 15, 2011, 23:14:
Why do you need this many stores to sell a game that sucks ass?
The game is fucking fantastic. Did you actually play it?

News Comments > Steam Weekly Top 10
10. Re: Steam Weekly Top 10 Aug 15, 2011, 08:51 finga

Jerykk wrote on Aug 14, 2011, 21:56:
FO3 definitely has better dungeons. They were bigger, more interesting and most of them had some sort of backstory, whereas most of the dungeons in FNV were small, bland and typically had no backstory (which is weird given the game's much better writing).

If Obsidian makes another Fallout game and improves their dungeon design, they may just have the best RPG evar.
I think Obsidian has already improved on this quite a bit in the DLCs. The story of the Survivalist in Honest Hearts as well as quite a few running stories in Old World Blues' random spots really put in that flavor that I missed from FO3.

News Comments > Battlestar Galactica Nexus Mod
4. Re: Battlestar Galactica Nexus Mod Aug 15, 2011, 08:49 finga

Are there Raiders, Vipers, Raptors and such?  

News Comments > On PC Deus Ex Human Revolution
54. Re: On PC Deus Ex Human Revolution Aug 15, 2011, 08:47 finga

Verno wrote on Aug 15, 2011, 08:40:
I'm not sure what you're looking for here, sympathy or consideration? Most people here aren't going to care about what features console gamers get because the games are usually made for them anyway. If you want FoV adjustments and etc then you need to let the developers know but be prepared to be a minority who is ignored (and there is some irony here somewhere).
I think I've got what I'm looking for. And the result is this: PC gamers still have a fucking looooong way to go.

53. Re: On PC Deus Ex Human Revolution Aug 15, 2011, 08:40 finga

saluk wrote on Aug 15, 2011, 07:28:
PC gamers don't really need fov controls. The fov has more to do with how close your eyes are to the screen than they do with the width of the screen. Also, since you are further away,
And again, people are presuming to know for sure how console players actually play. This only holds true in a house with a sizable living room. Millions of console gamers are playing differently than that.

Regarding your thoughts on the game, I don't think this is well-suited for you. Go back to the ones where every button press gives you an instant, shiny explosion and you can interrupt those annoying cutscenes and conversations with a murderous rampage. Deus Ex is not for you.

51. Re: On PC Deus Ex Human Revolution Aug 15, 2011, 08:35 finga

Jerykk wrote on Aug 15, 2011, 01:24:
So again, why is it that PC gamers deserve these settings but console gamers don't?

Because the vast majority of console gamers don't care about these things and thus, don't demand them. If they did, these features would start showing up in console games.
They didn't think they needed two sticks to control first person shooters, either. Then Halo put that control scheme in by default, and now every console action game's like that. Progress happens one developer at a time, one game at a time, same on PC as on consoles.

Developers themselves are the catalysts behind most features in big video games. (Including FOV.)

50. Re: On PC Deus Ex Human Revolution Aug 15, 2011, 08:33 finga

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 15, 2011, 02:58:
However, anyone with "a love of complex games" has been tragically misled if he believes console titles are fulfilling that need.
Go watch some EVO 2011 videos and get back to me.

302 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo