Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for finger

Real Name finger   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname finga
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 22, 2008, 01:40
Total Comments 302 (Amateur)
User ID 48490

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 13, 2012, 17:19 finga

Oh, Kotaku. THQ is most definitely at E3 this year. They'll have a booth in the South Hall.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > QuakeCon Pre-Registration Tomorrow
6. Re: QuakeCon Pre-Registration Tomorrow Apr 25, 2012, 01:47 finga

Beelzebud wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 00:22:
I'd say that putting their focus on consoles didn't help them stay in business. It produced their first complete flop, and put them in a position to have to sell the company.
Zenimax (Bethesda's parent company) bought id Software more than two years before Rage was released.

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Specs
30. Re: Max Payne 3 Specs Apr 24, 2012, 05:20 finga

pagb wrote on Apr 24, 2012, 04:56:
What a shitty wat to post specs... 2GB-16GB? Spec ranges? So I will not be able to play it with 24gigs?

Anyway, 8600gt looks suspiciously low, and the recommended looks too high. This is the new king of unoptimized shit, bye GTA4.
GTX 680 is not the recommended video card, just as 16GB could not be the recommended RAM requirement. They just made the dubious decision to write in a range that goes from the minimum to the current maximum specs you could throw at it, in order to say that everything in between will technically work. Silly, sure, but let's not get mad over something that isn't there.

News Comments > ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut
140. Re: ME3 Ending Fix Coming in Free Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut Apr 5, 2012, 19:18 finga

Bhruic wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 18:20:
You saved the Geth vs the Quarians - what changed in your 3 colour choice? You betrayed the Krogans instead of saving them - what changed in your 3 colour choice? Morinth killed herself to save her daughter - what changed in the 3 colour choice?
Those endings happened before the epilogue. That story is complete and does not necessarily have to be reflected in the last several minutes of the game. Unless you can demonstrate what rule requires all ending-type material in a trilogy to only happen in the last few minutes of the last game...

News Comments > Good Old Games Becomes GOG.com
22. Re: Good Old Games Becomes GOG.com Mar 27, 2012, 16:32 finga

Prez wrote on Mar 27, 2012, 16:06:
I was annoyed at GoG for the crappy state Thief 2 was released in (why weren't the config tweaks, widescreen upgrade, and other required addons pre-installed?), but I still am very fond of them. This is a great movefor them. I for one am hoping for a whole lot more new games to he released DRM-free.
Have they done this for any other games on their service? Baldur's Gate II from GOG didn't have a widely-used widescreen fix, either...

And now that I think of it, if you get Ultimate DOOM on Steam, you play the DOSBox copy rather than one of the excellent source ports that have been out for like a decade.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned
151. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 24, 2012, 00:32 finga

Stop thinking about future Mass Effect games as "ME4". It's a huge franchise now, and it could go in a million different directions by several different teams. What Casey Hudson said in an interview is simply what he's thinking right now, but after BioWare's ME team completes the DLC, gets that much-needed break from Commander Shepard (and maybe spends a few years on a new franchise), who knows what team or what project director be concepting out a future Mass Effect game. It might take place entirely on the Elcor homeworld. Or a thousand years in the past, or two thousand into the future. It might - get this - it might not even be an action/RPG.

And I disagree with the notion that to be a good RPG series, you have to tie up every loose end with a neat little bow. Some of the best storytelling, video game or not, comes with open-ended storylines and leads to huge fan speculation.

147. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 23, 2012, 04:58 finga

Jerykk wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 20:00:
That's not really a reasonable assumption. Just look at DA2. It barely had any connection to the first game and didn't resolve any of the potentially significant choices you could have made in DAO. Given the underwhelming ending of ME3, why would I have any reason to assume that Bioware will properly resolve anything in future sequels?
But DAO explained those things just fine. And DA3 is still on the way. Because ME3 isn't the last ME (just the last Shepard story), leaving some things open ended is fine. After all, when do you stop telling stories and let the community start speculating? Why must everything have perfect closure and a neat tie-up of all storylines? Why is it OK to go on a ridiculously overblown warpath when they don't?

No, we don't see what happens 20 years down the road; why, was that really necessary?

Yes? Like I said, you can make a number of significant choices in the ME series. Choices that have long-term implications. As the person making these choices, I want to know what these consequences are.
They told you plenty. They just didn't take it as far as you'd have liked. Presumably, you wanted the Fallout-style endings that gave us the full remainder-of-life story of every major character, and you don't care whether BioWare might eventually invent a different storyline for that character in a future ME game, but now they can't use it because they wrote a few lines of canon back in a silly slide in ME3. Writers don't want to write themselves into a corner, but it's clear that you're not concerned about that. Well, life is full of small disappointments, and this is one of them. You'll make it through, though.

The real issue here isn't that people don't like the ending, and the people that don't mind it (or at least, don't mind it much) aren't telling anyone that they have to like the ending. The issue is that people are blowing it way out of proportion and creating all kinds of crazy plans of action that would be much more productively channeled towards real issues, either in video games or in the real world.

133. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 22, 2012, 17:36 finga

Jerykk wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 12:37:
Jerykk, I found it pretty easy to figure out the ends to the genophage, Geth/Quarian, and species relations stories in my playthrough. Those choices did make it through from the first through the third game for me, and I don't need the game spelling out every event to their last letter. Maybe future DLC will handle that, but if it doesn't, is it really that difficult for it to be left a little bit open?

I seriously doubt you could figure out the long-term (and by long-term, I mean well past ME3) impacts of curing the genophage, saving the Rachni queen or giving the Geth individuality. If the Krogan Rebellion was any indication, allowing Krogan to breed without hindrance ends badly. However, with Wrex and the Queen in charge, maybe that wouldn't be the case this time. Both possibilities are equally viable but the ending doesn't provide any closure. And I'm sure that saving the Rachni would have implications that extend far beyond getting some extra workers on the Crucible. 20 years after ME3, would they still be so cooperative? Or would they be trying to regain their former glory? And would the newly empowered Geth remain peaceful or would they eventually become the next Reapers?

There are tons of loose ends that ME3's ending doesn't tie up. Sure, I can try and imagine the long-term consequences of my choices but that kind of defeats the whole point of choice and consequence.
Seems reasonable that this is what future sequels would cover. Let that writing happen then rather than now. One thing that the developers have never wavered on is that the first three games is Shepard's story, and it ends in ME3 (and presumably the DLC).

We saw plenty of choice and consequence in ME3. No, we don't see what happens 20 years down the road; why, was that really necessary?

110. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 22, 2012, 05:05 finga

And now video game developers will be more likely to avoid potentially controversial or unique/original endings because of internet temper tantrums. Worst part is that we have so many boring/conventional endings in games already.

Jerykk, I found it pretty easy to figure out the ends to the genophage, Geth/Quarian, and species relations stories in my playthrough. Those choices did make it through from the first through the third game for me, and I don't need the game spelling out every event to their last letter. Maybe future DLC will handle that, but if it doesn't, is it really that difficult for it to be left a little bit open?

And to the others - they're not ad hominem attacks. They're challenges to people to accept that sometimes you don't get exactly what you want, and while you're obviously free to not buy BioWare's next game - the threat of such is actually a very reasonable response to not liking this ending - organizing to demand that they go back and "fix" this one's plot is just silly. It's unprecedented from the perspective of art, since we didn't "commission" this work from them, and this is not the medium in which we start making demands of how artists make their art.

Funny thing is BioWare should have ignored these complaints and just put out the DLC for the millions of well-adjusted gamers that aren't on 4chan, reddit, SA, Twitter, FB, and more all trying to make these demands. As soon as Sony screws up again or one of the two upcoming next-gen consoles is announced - or maybe Derek Smart or Randy Pitchford say something goofy - people will move on anyway. Just please, move on before BioWare really gets scared about putting anything interesting into ME3's DLC endings...

104. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 22, 2012, 02:09 finga

Draugr wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 23:54:
finga wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 23:02:
Well, now that we're doing this, I'll be writing George R.R. Martin asking him to change A Song of Ice and Fire so that my favorite character doesn't die. Also, I'll need HBO to go back and re-cut all the show scenes to match. And quickly, too!

when George R.R. Martin makes a 'choose your own adventure book' with identical endings, where you get to go to the same page regardless of your choice, (despite him telling us our choices matter.) your analogy will make sense.

Are you trying to suggest that people haven't gotten mad at TV, movie, or book endings? Because I can assure you they did, and they made it through without throwing weeks-long temper tantrums on the internet and organizing to demand changes. (Changes that, by the way, no one would be happy with anyway.)

I didn't really like the last ten minutes, either. But ME3 is full of endings, most of which didn't happen in those last ten minutes, and they are very satisfying and mostly prove to be quite dependent on your choices. Either way, I'm an adult that can handle the crushing disappointment and loss of a video game, even one in a series I love, not ending quite the way I wanted. Can you?

What happens when you guys get a flat tire out on the road? Find the nearest bridge to jump off of?

92. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 21, 2012, 23:02 finga

DarkCntry wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 15:34:
Next time someone gets an order wrong at your local fast food joint, don't demand them fix it or get your money back, after-all, it's just fast food and you probably have some red herring at home to eat....
I'd ask them to fix the problem, and then they'd fix it. If somehow they didn't, I sure as hell wouldn't be picketing the store outside the next day or writing about it on the internet a week later, making photoshops and writing up FTC complaints.

And I wrote that last paragraph pretending that serving fast food is anything like making art, music, games, books, or other media. Which it's not.

Well, now that we're doing this, I'll be writing George R.R. Martin asking him to change A Song of Ice and Fire so that my favorite character doesn't die. Also, I'll need HBO to go back and re-cut all the show scenes to match. And quickly, too!

13. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ending Changes Planned Mar 21, 2012, 15:31 finga

Verno wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 15:23:
Listen I'm all for authorial intent but when you build the game around themes like friendship and player choice then discard that at the very end in the worst way....yeah that's a problem people should scream about.
Scream about? It's a video game. A VIDDEEEEOOOO GAMMMMEEE. There are people out there in your town not getting enough to eat, and this is how people choose to spend their time and release their outrage. It's cool if people don't like the ending. They can go ahead and not like it, but they should probably move on.

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Next Month
32. Re: Tribes: Ascend Next Month Mar 9, 2012, 18:43 finga

Shataan wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 16:15:
"N00b. You never skied. "

Aaaah, I chose not to use the skiing exploit. Doesn`t make me a nOOb. And if I played this new Tribes, I doubt I`d use skiing.... cause I still consider it an exploit. But say what ya like.... ya will anyways. ;p

There's a key that you bind just for skiing in Tribes Ascend. Calling that an exploit is just ridiculous.

Also, if you're going to maintain that attitude, do not play the new Tribes, because you'd just be a waste of a server's player slot.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Beta
5. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Beta Mar 2, 2012, 03:45 finga

Was really hoping that after this long they'd have started to support multiple cores. All of the epic-sized games we'd want to play are severely limited by this game only running on one CPU, and we wind up seeing a slideshow.  

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Steamworks Support
17. Re: Borderlands 2 Steamworks Support Feb 29, 2012, 14:26 finga

They didn't mention mods, just DLC. Steamworks doesn't necessarily come with mod support, even though it did with Skyrim (but that's it for now).

As far as the DLC thing, I don't think Gearbox has ever done the "day one DLC" thing, and only have launched their DLC post-release. And, I think more importantly, their DLC is actually pretty good and often worth the money, with the exception of whatever they put out for Duke Forever (due to the game itself) and that Moxxi DLC since it was just one big arena to play in.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours
19. Re: Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours Feb 27, 2012, 14:08 finga

Cutter wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 13:11:
So it's really 20 hours or less. You're a fool if you buy this thing full price!
If you play rushing through everything and ignore side quests, Mass Effect is probably not really your kind of game.

News Comments > On Mass Effect 3 DRM
30. Re: On Mass Effect 3 DRM Feb 18, 2012, 06:07 finga

Jerykk wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 05:27:
Based on the demo, this feels like ME2.5. I'm not seeing any significant changes. At least, nothing like the changes between ME1 and 2.
You mean from a gameplay perspective, right? Not all of us play Mass Effect solely (or even primarily) for the awesome shooter action.

13. Re: On Mass Effect 3 DRM Feb 17, 2012, 22:52 finga

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 22:40:
Mhhh, i never used EA Downloader for anything.. was it just a rebrand? if so then i stand to corrected... anyhow, no issues with origin now

Only thing thats bothersome is the often mentioned "dead listings" of impossible to get beta/alpha stuff in the library...
Origin might be a rebrand in the sense that they changed the name at one point, but they also completely updated the functionality, feature set, and nearly everything else that's visible to the player.

11. Re: On Mass Effect 3 DRM Feb 17, 2012, 22:50 finga

Silicon Avatar wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 21:27:
I just don't have a need to install yet another DL service that doesn't offer me any benefits.
Well, you can play ME3 and Battlefield 3 on it. Can't do that anywhere else...

I mean, unless you don't care for those games, which I guess I understand, but you'll care about something that's an Origin exclusive eventually.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access
42. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access Feb 15, 2012, 05:32 finga

Bhruic wrote on Feb 15, 2012, 04:55:
The plots seems a little iffy tho'. I mean, the Reapers land on Earth in "Act 1". The idea that you're going to go off, form an alliance of the other races and make it back to Earth before it's completely destroyed is pretty silly. Hell, Earth is likely to be almost completely gone before you can even make it to the Citadel. Sure, some survivors in a cave might still be around, but any population center will be gone. It's not like there'd be anything left to "save" - unless they make the Reapers a lot less dangerous than they've previously implied they were.
It's not really about saving the inhabitants of Earth specifically, but instead to come back and save what's left of the human race, whether it's on Earth or any of the fleets and/or planets that humans are on.

302 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo