Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1148 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: hmm Mar 16, 2006, 12:15 Tom

If you look at the source for this web page, you'll see that the character set for the page is explicitly specified as windows-1252. This rules out posting anything in a Japanese encoding such as Shift-JIS, EUC, or Unicode encodings such as UTF-8.

If it was possible to use HTML in posts, then the character set wouldn't matter. You could just post using HTML escape codes which specify the character values in Unicode. (Web browsers are smart enough to do this for you when you submit a form on a page with an incompatible charact set.)

For example:

&#12371;&#12371;&#12391;&#26085;&#26412;&#35486;&#12391;&#26360;&#12369;&#12414;&#12379;&#12435;&#12290;

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. hmm Mar 16, 2006, 10:51 Tom

Seems like it's impossible to post in Japanese here. Oh well.

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 10:54.

News Comments > Shadowbane Free
13. Re: Great News! Mar 16, 2006, 10:44 Tom

Anything that is FREE is worth a look, right?

Wrong. Unless you place no value on your time.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Robson flash cache Mar 15, 2006, 02:25 Tom

What about the limited # of write cycles for flash memory? Why do articles about flash as a replacement for (or in this case, supplement to) hard drives never mention this seemingly showstopper kind of problem?

News Comments > Steam Updates
7. Re: No subject Mar 14, 2006, 19:14 Tom

Working set should be assumed. This is what Task Manager reports by default.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
5. Re: The Wordprocessor Crisis Mar 12, 2006, 00:26 Tom

I think you're right, but inability seems like the wrong word, doesn't it...

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
3. Re: The Wordprocessor Crisis Mar 11, 2006, 23:57 Tom

The only WP crisis is the inability of Word users to save in anything other than DOC format.

What are you talking about? This is completely wrong. Word users are able to save in a ton of formats besides Word DOC format.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 23:58.

News Comments > Dikanka 2, For the Record
20. Re: extra-popular Internet-resource Mar 11, 2006, 11:22 Tom

I disagree that a name change would be wise or warranted. While many people think "Daikatana 2" when they read "Dikanka 2", there are plenty of clues that they are not the same. Relatively few people will actually end up believing they are the same. And the people who "get it" will have had some reason to give Dikanka 2 more than just a passing thought. They might think "well it's NOT Daikatana 2, but what is it?"

So, I think the similarity of the name will be more of a strength than a weakness. Although, in the grand scheme of things, maybe it won't even have any significant effect one way or another...

News Comments > BF2: Euro Force Next Week
8. BF2 Mar 8, 2006, 18:33 Tom

Quit whining, you bunch of babies! BF2 is not THAT bad. I've been playing it once or twice a week with some friends since October, for a total of 113 hours, making the cost per hour only $0.44. (Too bad I don't have such a stat for Warcraft 3...) The game is still fun, and the experience has been consistent from October until now. The only bug that's ever affected me is when someone shows up as the wrong team color.

The performance, running at 1600x1200 on a 9800 Pro, is fine, except for when an explosion happens next to me. Then I have a crappy framerate for the next 20 seconds or so and wish that I had a better gfx card. Sure the load times are long, but when a server runs the same map for 20+ minutes, you're just unlucky if you happen to come in right near the end of the map.

I didn't buy the expansion because I heard that it wasn't that good. So I can't speak for that. But the original game has been well worth the $50 I paid.

News Comments > Gold - Elders Scrolls IV: Oblivion
200. Re: yay! Mar 5, 2006, 01:06 Tom

Ni!

157. Re: On Topic Mar 3, 2006, 09:00 Tom

And at least on the PC they can be easily fixed.

You mean the fixes can be easily distributed. *cough* BF2 wrong team color bug *cough*

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 09:00.

27. Re: No subject Mar 2, 2006, 13:50 Tom

Mmn thanks for the info. I think I'll try it on my 2.8GHz P4, 1GB, 9800 Pro and see 1) how fun the game is and 2) how painful it is to run it on such an antiquated system. I suspect a new system is in my future, but I'll restrain myself from upgrading in advance!

6. Re: ATI Performance Mar 2, 2006, 13:17 Tom

Should I even bother trying this on a 9800 Pro?

News Comments > Utah: Games = Pr0n
24. Re: No subject Feb 26, 2006, 12:53 Tom

Yah but they can have 20 wives though.....

Trolling or ignorance? Either way these comments are stupid.

News Comments > rFactor Beta Patch
3. Re: awsome! Feb 18, 2006, 17:38 Tom

The only thing this game has going for it is moddability. For a real racing sim, pick up Live for Speed.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
4. Re: New Singleplayer game Feb 16, 2006, 13:41 Tom

I think it's great that he recognizes and admits that Ultima 7 was the pinnacle of his works. And wow, if Oblivion could approach that kind of world... well, I shouldn't get my hopes up.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: No subject Feb 16, 2006, 01:19 Tom

KingKanji has been doing something similar on the Palm (and Windows) for awhile:

http://www.gakusoft.com/

Great writing practice. But its judgement of similarity/accuracy is very basic. All it really tries to do is make sure the direction of each stroke is basically right. That's enough for learning, though.

News Comments > Battlefield 2 Patch Soon
22. Re: No subject Feb 13, 2006, 20:51 Tom

1) Jump up into the air
2) Go prone
3) Stand back up
4) Come back down to the ground
5) Repeat 1-4

I do it while camping those helicopter spawns. It really does look funny. But using it in combat? That's just bad.

By the way, another funny looking thing you can do in BF2... Get in a raft and get onto the turret. Move the turret up and down to its extremes, as quickly as possible. And do it while turning left to right, or spinning around in 360's. It's a hilarious way to kill the time (and potentially yourself and your crew) during those long boring boat rides.

News Comments > Battlefield 2 Patch Soon
18. misc. replies Feb 13, 2006, 19:02 Tom

Communities like that dont allow crap like dolphin diving or C4 buggy suicides.

Dolphin diving is kinda lame, can't argue with that. But no C4 buggy suicides?!?!? That's one of the funnest parts of the game, and it's good, clean fun.

where else would you put them

The only safe place to lay mines is RIGHT IN FRONT of enemy vehicles as they're moving. To do otherwise is just begging for a teamkill or four.

Last patch wanted 3 GB even though temporary location and game were not there.

The workaround for this was a simple registry edit to temporarily move your C:\Program Files dir to another drive. Yes, they want to store temp patch files in the Program Files dir, which is really dumb. But the workaround works - my friend who made his C: too small has patched this way twice now.

News Comments > New NVIDIA ForceWare Drivers
12. Re: Extract the file with WinZip or what Feb 7, 2006, 16:22 Tom

Any opinions on the 7800GS? I wouldn't mind hanging onto my AGP system for awhile yet. But paying more for fewer pipelines (16 as compared to the 7800GT with 20) does not sit too well with me.

1148 Comments. 58 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo